• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm Colombian, here in the Father/Motherland(I'm Still debating which gender should be the National personification of Colombia, A man like Bolivar or... Juan Valdez:rofl:, or a Women) and I considered than in this AAR very difficult to happen(unless treppe like the idea) because here we're a very authoritarian democracy.. but a Democracy(since our foundation to modern times), and the both countries are constituional monarchy... but Monarchy after that... That will be a big mistrust between both nations(more than Platinean eat two of the nations who Bolivar helps to liberate... Peru and Bolivia), that is almost imposible, in the long term we gonna be as historical... a buffer state(and the Itsmo/Panama is something i want to see here)

Being a Republic isn't a big problem. If you see, the UK and France fought the two WW in the same side, even in the same land. And honestly, the existence of Venezuela and Ecuador is an insult to Bolivar's memory. :p

I see a Latin America formed by: Platinea, Brazil, Gran Colombia, the United Provinces of Center America & Caribean Sea and Mexico.

P.S. Viden, why you don't make an AAR here in English about a revival of the Gross-Kolumbien, AKA Gran Colombia? like that one who you abandonated in the Spanish Forum?

Because I'm very lazy and all the times I tried to do a Victoria AAR I found myself too bad writer. :eek:o

I was thinking in a new AAR, but it would be AoD in any case.

Sometimes coming back to these late, works in my favor. I got to read 5 excellent updates instead of just one. And I do say, it fills me with much glee to see this AAR back in action!

Kerry: I like the whole cooperation thing between Platinea and Brazil a lot too. To be honest, when I started this AAR I began to read a bit about Emperor Pedro II. and the more I read the more I was pleased. It's Pedro's great knowledge and wisdom, his open-mindedness and his benevolence that I based Juan I. on.
A liberation of the successionstates of the former "United States of Central America" is not yet thought about but with the first experiences now made in Mexico it may come to some unofficial involvement if the need arises. And the need may arise someday in combination with your second question for naval build up. Logic (or geo-strategic thinking) dictates it that once a respectable navy could be fielded it would be in Platineas best interest to be in control of a canal connecting the Atlantic and the Pacific.
And for the naval buildup you just have to wait a year or two (and a couple of updates). I will explain my strategy then in length (so that also non-vicky players get a hang of it) but for now I'll just point you to Battle of Hampton Roads.

Viden: Rebuilding Gran Colombia is for now very unlikely as none of the three successor states has the power needed to do so. And it's not only for the lacking of military prowess that hinders a "reunification" attempt but the inner conflicts make such an attempt impossible. Venezuela and Colombia are entangled in full fledged civil wars and Ecuador is facing inner quarrels bordering at civil war itself.
And I also don't see any 'strong men' appearing who could rebuild Gran Colombia. It would need major foreign intervention to make that happen, either european like in Mexico or from Platinea and Brazil.

Nivek Beldo: There won't be much a problem of forming alliance between (constitutional) monarchies and democracies. But I can't see it happen without foreign intervention and that would almost inevitably lead to the establishment of a constitutional monarchy in Gran Colombia.

Quanto: I'm glad you are around again and enjoyed the last couple of updates.

Then, start that foreign intervention! :p

I see, monitors are more effective, so waiting for the technology is probably a wise thing to do. But sailing ships are just so much more beautiful :).

Has anyone seen Treppe yet?

is Treppe dead?

blankbanner.jpg

Prime Minister Alberdi's terms
(1854-1862)

alberdiportrait.jpg

As a member of the constitutional congress and a speaker of the liberal faction Juan Bautista Alberdi became member of the first cabinett under Prime Minister San Martín. After the first general elections he was given the ministry of immigration where he developed the "Agenda 1860".
When Prime Minister San Martín refused to candidate for a second term in 1854 the Unión Liberal asked Alberdi to run for the office as prime minister. Alberdi won the election by promising great social reforms in favor of the non-privileged. These promises brought him great support both among the urban working class as well as among the rural peasantry. But due to unfortunate circumstances, like several wars and an opposing conservative majority in the senate, the reforms had to be put aside for a long time.

On the stage of foreign politics Alberdi tried to improve Platineas relations with its latin american neighbours whenever possible. By this he was trying to establish Platinea as the benevolent hegemon of South America, while the "Agenda 1860" should ensure platinean supremacy in the fields of military strength and industrial power.
This approach however was destined to fail after the military coup d'etat in Peru. The new peruvian government under General Castilla was commited to 'regain' the border provinces and steered towards a war with Platinea to get hold of them by military might. After a series of diplomatic skirmishes and insults Peru declared war upon platinea on April 3rd 1856. Completely lacking any military experience Prime Minister Alberdi let the Platinean High Command under General Urquiza handle this incursion. A decision as wise as it prooved to be nearly fatal. General Urquiza overconfident and overstrained set up a strategy that nearly led the platinean army to a complete disaster. Between October and December of 1856 the platinean armies suffered one crucial defeat after the next, loosing control of Upper Bolivia. When La Paz was taken by peruvian forces in the following may General Urquiza was relieved of all his duties and replaced by General Mitre. From then on the war took a turn in favor of platinea. On November 22nd 1857 the peruvian troops were beaten while the city of Lima was revolting against President Castilla. Days later the perliminary peace of Arica was signed in which Peru seceded control over the disputed provinces of Arica and Puerto Maldonado to the platinean crown. In the end the Atacama War (or 1st Peruvian War) was won but it had revealed the backwardness of platinean tactics and equipment. The 'Silvana Report' was a detailed list of the shortcomings and supposed several improvements. Eager to reform the armed services as quick as possible Alberdi turned to Brazil and the United Kingdom for help. While Brazil send General Osorio as military adviser and reformer accompanied by a company of instructors the british government send a few shipbuilders to modernize the platinean docks. Additionally a new infantry division, the 1ª División de Infantería de Marina, was formed and a reserve army. called Guardia Nacional, was formed. Thus the military power almost trippled.
Despite it's defeat in the Atacama war the new peruvian government commenced the sabre rattling but this time in the direction of Ecuador. Determined to contain peruvian expansionism Alberdi negotiated a secret defensive alliance with Ecuador. When the Yuncos crisis erupted into war between Ecuador and Peru in March 1859, Alberdi honored the alliance and send the platinean army into the 2nd Peruvian War. Only days later the Republic of Piratini delared war on Platineas ally Brazil. By request of the brazilian emperor Platinea joined the 2nd Cisplatienan War on Brazil's side. Facing now to enemies the cabinet decided to mobilize the national guard to oppose the piratiniean aggression. In late october 1859 both Peru and the Republic of Piratini had been defeated and harsh peace conditions were enforced. Peru was reduced to a rump state around its capital Lima while the Republic of Piratini was dissolved into three dependent duchies. The glorious victories in the 2nd Peruvian War and the 2nd Cisplatinean War proved that the platinean military had successfully modernized in a matter of just two years.
After these two victories Platinea truly had become the most powerful nation in south America allied with Brazil and Ecuador, controlling the atlantic duchies and keeping close relations with the United Kingdom.

Due to the turmoil in foreign politics Alberdi's reform programm often had to step aside. But already in 1855 he had succesfully brought the "Free school for everybody" bill to both chambers of parliament. This ensured a basic gratuitous school education for every platinean child regardless of their social heritage. Alberdi was convinced that this ivestment would be the most important of all. And the high costs for the state would pay of as soon as the pupils would enter the employment market. Moreover he believed it would not only better the chances of the workers and farmers for social advancement but that the general income will rise and consequently will improve their living conditions. Unfortunately both schools and teachers were especially lacking in the platinean countryside and so the reform would take time to show its effects. To accelerate the process the National School Administration was founded which began to construct schools and to educate supply teachers, to overcome the shortage of college graduate teachers. This had great effect on the overall education of the platinean people, in 1862 every second platinean citizen was able to read and write. An astonishing increase of ten per cent in comparision to 1854.
Another topic that received special attention by Prime Minister Alberdi was that of attracting imigrants to get the vast country populated. One of his first bills he brought to parliament was the 'Promote imigration' bill in 1855 which launched a massive infrastructure programm on the banks of the La Plata river to increase the living conditions for newly arriving imigrants. Furthermore the Alberdi government gave concessions to various entrepreneurs to set up agricultural colonies in the hinterland states. The first colonies were set up in the states of Cordoba (1856), Santiago del Esterro (1856) and Salta (1860). Accompanied by a massive advertisement campaign in europe these measures ensured a steady flow of european workers and farmers migrating to Platinea. Soon the expectations of the Agenda 1860 were not only met but were exceeded by the actual numbers of imigrants. But this influx of imigrants stil was nothing compared to the imigrant tide that should arrive in Platinea from July 1861 on. In these last months of Alberdi's second term Platinea had become the most popular migration target due to the gruesome Amercian Civil War harassing the United States of America. During his time as Prime Minister the population more than doubled from 5,469,000 inhabitants in 1854 to 12,090,000 inhabitants in 1862.
Many immigrants found jobs in the national and private railroad building programs. Alberdi had promised to bring the nation closer together by connecting it from the amazonas to cape horn and from the pacific to the atlantic. Due to governmental funding private railroad companies sprung up everywhere and began to connect cities and the countryside. The national railroad program went exceptionally well and in 1857 the Transcontinental Railroad, connecting the capital of La Plata on the atlantic shore with the harbour of Valparaíso on the pacific coast, was opened. Until the end of his second term the railroad lines were constantly extended and modernized. By 1862 Platinea was the worlds leading nation in laid railroad tracks and trains.
In the summer of 1856, while the Atacama war was raging, the senate elections brought an most unfortunate outcome for Alberdi with the Partido Federalista carrying the majority in the upper house. Facing now an opposing majority in the senate almost all reforms were to be set aside. Only after his reelection Prime Minister Alberdi brought another major bill to the houses of parliament. The so called "Strategic industries bill" guaranteed lucrative loans to those who were willing to set up key military industries. With the voters support backing him and the publicly known "Sylvana Report", he sold the bill as of utmost importance for the national security to the conservative senators. The bill stimulated the already rapidly growing economy and as a driect consequence numerous factories were founded. When Alberdi entered the office of Prime Minister there were only six factories in all of Platinea, at the end of the second term this number had quinttupled to thirtyone.

Finally in 1861 just as his second term came to its close Alberdi whipped the "Great Reform Act" through Cortez and Senate. It encompassed all the reform promisses he had given during his first election campaign in 1854.

score1862.jpg

Last edited:
Nice stats, but I think you will need more population.

Viden: Well it more than doubled in the last decade. And I already have almost twice as many citizens as Brazil. So I can't really complain. But I 'guess' a lot more imigrants will find their way to platinean shores.

asd21593: You are completely right. Even the yet uncivilized Japan has over 60% literacy. But there's no known way to bring the joy of reading to the uneducated masses (one per cent per year is pretty good).

enf91: Thanks for the hint, already corrected it.

Libertad o Muerte! Pt. XLV - 1862

1862header1.jpg

The new government under Prime Minister Mitre was the first months busy by just getting the reforms implemented that Alberdi had bequeathed them. With no opportunities left to bring in his ideas Prime Minister Mitre wasn't able to impress a distinct mark on platinean politics. Thus Mitre was often seen by the press as Alberdi's inheritance executor*. An image that wouldn't fade away so soon.
But luckily for the Mitre government the reforms enacted by their predecessor were very sophisticated. The new reforms corrected some social deficits like maximum work hours, safety regulations and retirement pensions. This had the overall effect that factory work became more popular than working in the agricultural sector as many farmers weren't able to meet the new laws.** But moreover Platinea was a precursor of modern social welfare legislation and the very first country to pass such a complete set of social welfare laws at all. As a direct outcome of this Platinea now was seen as some kind of promised land by europe's poor and suppressed. Furthermore many imigrants who had tried their luck in the agriculural hinterland now signed up for factory jobs. With an evergrowing workforce and an evergrowing outlet market economic growth became a no-brainer.
Let alone in the first six months of the government's term three new factories were erected.

1862distillery.jpg

1862papermill.jpg

1862winery.jpg

By the summer of 1862 many cargo vessels had been sunk in the north atlantic by the USN and CSN in order to prevent shipments of supplies reaching opposing harbors. Numerous governments protested against the violation of free trade but especially the british government was enraged and as a reaction tightened the presence of the Royal Navy in the Northern Atlantic. The platinean government's reaction was to found the Platinean Lloyd, a state owned shipping line. Due to a prime ministerial order from 8th of August all steamdriven transport vessels of the Royal Platinean Navy were transfered to the Platinean Lloyd, thus the shipping line could commence operations in late august. The Platinean Lloyd was founded with the purpose to bring imigrants to platinea. The regular passenger and mail transport from and to europe initially were a mere side effect.

1862platineanlloyd.jpg

In September ecuadorian president Moreno negotiated a deal with the papal nuncio, accepting the protection of the papal states. Furthermore the agreement determined that the Members of the Society of Jesus, the Jesuits, would have a say in all matters of state and education. While president Moreno was assured that all parties except his clerical-conservative party would be banished and that he himself would stay head of government, the actual head of state became the Archbishop of Quito now entitled Prince-Bishop of Ecuador. In the following months the Jesuits took all important key positions in the state, administration and education.
Pope Pius IX. send a regiment of 1,000 guards to protect the prince-bishop and his "royal" household as well as several dozens of priests to lend a hand in administrative affairs. The Superior-General of the Society of Jesus also send three dozens of padres and friars to support the order's work in Ecuador as now many jesuits were occupied with administrative tasks, taking them away from their missonary and pastoral work.
The liberal government in La Plata watch this developement closely with a growing worry. The coming into power of the Jesuits was widely seen as a back stepwards, to the middleages, by many platinean newspapers and soon the "State of the Jesuitic Order" was seen as a foe of enlightenment and as a threat to platinean progress.

ecuador.jpg

The irony is that the Jesuist are the progressist faction of Catholic Church. :D

Viden: They sure were. They had many important intellectuals among their ranks and were pretty innovative (not just for the roman-catholic church alone). But compared to the very liberal Kingdom of Platinea they are conservative and in the eyes of the platinean elites (especially capitalists) they are die-hard reactionaries just because they are clerics.
If I wouldn't be determined to continue this AAR I would start another one with Jesuitic Ecuador.
As a man who can google the spanish net, could you find any other (more fitting names) for Ecuador?

The only alternative name for Ecuador I found is Quito, both for the ancient Kingdom of Quito and for the first monarchist attempt in Ecuador. The other name I found is United Kingdom of Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia.

Strangely, I found nothign about the Jesuistic regime.

enviadodelcongreso.jpg

The winter came with force in January and troop movements shrunk to a necessary minimum, but both sides kept stayed in their winter quarters up until mid-march.
While the armies where forced to an armistice by the harsh winter, both sides reinforced their navies. When the ice on the James River melted both navies send their most modern ships to sink the enemy and the whole world was to hold it's breath. Both navies not only reinforced their navies in size but also developed a new kind of warship. The ironclad steamships.
On March 8th the ironclad steamship CSS Virginia left Norfolk harbour to break the union's blockade at the mouth of the James River. At noon the CSS Virginia engages the blockading squadron, she sinks three union frigates and several auxillary vessels before nightfall brins an end to the carnage. News of the Confedaracy's first naval victory spread quickly and the USN orders their ironclad steamer, the USS Monitor to sink the CSS Virginia. The next morning both battleships met. Four hours both antagonists fired volley after volley at each other without damaging each other significantly. The battle went the whole day until both vessels withdrew to their home ports.
The battle later known as Battle of Hampton Roads revolutionized naval warfare and made sailing ships obsolete. The new steamships seemed invincible due to their ironplating, were faster, more maneuverable and were able to operate independently of wind conditions.
A british Admiral was quoted in "The Times" the next day: "Up until yesterday we had the largest navy in the world, today we only have a pile of worthless floating wood."[1]

1862battleofhamptonroad.jpg

In order to seek the decisive battle both generalstaffs send their armies to conquer the opposite's capital. In April confederate general P.G.T. Beauregard marched his army first to the northwest and then turned east to attack Philadelphia. At the small town of Downingtown at the banks of the Brandywine Creek General McDowell awaited him with a superior force of mere recruits. The battle began with a confederate attack on the union lines which cost high losses on the union side but couldn't save the confederacy the high grounds. On the second day Beauregard again attacked his adversary to throw him off the ridge above Downingtown. The attack was successfull on the left flank and the union army lost three time as many soldiers as the attacking confederates. Beauregard had won the day but nightfall rescued McDowell's army who used the dark of the night to redeploy his lines. Beauregard confident that he would smash McDowell the next day went to his headquarters and planned an assault by dawn when a messenger arrived from General Longstreet. The messenger brought disturbing news of a large union force commanded by General Hooker marching straight upon Washington.
In the middle of the night Beauregard decided to withdraw his army from the battlefield and began his march to reinforce Longstreets defense of Washinton.

1862battleofbrandywine.jpg

While Beauregard marched on Philadelphia in early April, General Hooker took command of the 150,000 men strong Army of Columbia and marched it straight to Washington while he send a smaller force under McDowell to delay Beauregards march.
Hookers offensive started well and the union troops regained all lost territory on their way and even the suburbs of Washington but at the gates of the city the offensive came to a halt. Longstreet had fortified the city during the winter very well and Hooker didn't dare taking the city in an assault. Thus he settled for a siege on May 7th. The former capital lifed through it's second siege in two years and the last standing buildings where bombed to rabble day and night. Day after day, week after week for five months. Five months in which the huge army of columbia didn't make any gains but rotted in hell outside of Washington. Cholera and typhoid fever cost Hookers thenth of thousand men weakening the Army of Columbia despite its constant reinforcements so much that Hooker had to give up the siege in September.

1862siegeofwashington.jpg

While the siege of Washington was going on the confederate high command was training new troops commanded by General Robert E. Lee. When Lee's army was announced ready for action President Toombs ordered him to reinforce Longstreet in the defense of Washington. But Longstreet send Lee and his army to the west, convinced that they will do their more damage to the union's war effort instead of dying in Washington off diseases. Thus Lee marched into western Maryland. At the city of Frederick he met a small union corps which was swiftly destroyed.

1862battleoffrederick.jpg

In the tranappalachian theatre General Johnstons was still pursuing McClelland's ever retreating army deeper into Ohio. Finally on June 21st McClellan decided to take his stand near the town of Akron close to the coast of Lake Erie. Both sides knew should the nearby city of Cleveland with its amjor railway lines fall, the Union would be effectively divided in two. In a fierce and brutal battle where no quarter was given Johnston prevailed on the second day by circumnavigating McClellands right flank and rolling up his lines. McClellands battered force withdrew along the coast of Lake Erie to Buffalo. The next day Johnstons army marched into Cleveland finishing the Division of the Union.

1862battleofakron.jpg

Out west, in the transmississippian theatre the confederate troops roamed freely and occupied town after town. But in norhtern Missouri the unionists put up a last fight against Van Doorn's occupation force. At Bonnots Mill only 10,000 desperate militiamen tried to halt the advance of 30,000 battlehardened confederate soldiers. The battle became a horrible slaughter, earning the confederate commander the name "Bloody Earl".

1862battleofbonnotsmill.jpg

When the armies moved to winter quarters in late November the Union was divided in the north east (Pennsylvania, New York and the New England region) and the far west (especially Colorado and California). Union morale was devastated and the citizenry began to oppose the government, longing for a quick peace agreement. In California the situation was especially heated up, almost all young men had left to fight in the east the state was thus economically struggling and now the Mexicans began their invasion of southern California.

acwmap.jpg

[1] If anyone knows the historical correct quote then please tell me.

I would think that the Union is finished.