• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Smashing success against the Timurids. Would love to read the theological works of TTL as Christianity is heading East in a startling way.

Vann

Great bunch of updates! Onwards Popes! :D

Round 2 should be easier.... and when will you stop giving Burgundy more land?
Excommunicate 'em al! :p

'india is caling for pope... we need help... the evil timurs are mean to us.. please come and steal our lands before the infidel does it...'

dem61s said:
Does anyone know how this event is triggered? It looks like you are getting an awful lot of them.
AFAIK you need...

Latin tech nation.
25 provinces.
2 ports.
Not having the Quest for the New World idea.
Not having the Colonial Adventures idea.

Taking either idea would make it go away, depends on how annoying it is.

Enewald said:
'india is caling for pope... we need help... the evil timurs are mean to us.. please come and steal our lands before the infidel does it...'

:rofl: :rofl:

I am inclined to agree with stnylan that your National Decline events are a subtle warning from the Almighty Father. Whatever he's trying to say to you, you'd better listen! :D

It would have been interesting to see the results of your war if it had been just one on one, Papal State vs. Timurids.

Qorten - Austalian gold, Indonesian spices, an empire on which the sun never sets, that sort of thing. Good colony sites are effectively free money, and I didn't see why England, France and Castile should get all the colonial goodies.

stnylan - I think what He's trying to tell me is "stop being stubborn and take QftNW, you know you want to". But it might be Aramaic for "kill more infidels".

Storey - Now I come to think of it, that makes more sense. Inquisition!

dem61s - Kanil has it right (though I seem to remember getting it as Russia and the Ottomans - earlier version?). It targets large nations that don't go colonial.
I have no intention of allowing "Timurids" and "recover" to occupy the same sentence. :)

Vann the Red - I feel that might depend on whether you read the works rumoured to have been written prior to the supression of Protestantism or those that were produced after. (Destroying Islam may be vaguely popular, but tanking around Germany crushing heresy is a good way to get yourself denounced as the AntiChrist).

Murmurandus - Thank-you. Deus Vult!

Enewald - As long as Burgundy remains my faithful (and mighty) ally, I will continue to grant them all the poor wrong-culture Muslim territory I have no desire to take on myself.
As for India, one thng at a time...

Kanil - It's irritating rather than crippling, but having it fire repeatedly makes Colonial Ventures sound like a good idea.

jwolf - I suspect it would have been a very bloody stalemate, as I doubt I could have run the Timurids' manpower down without depleting my own (and the Timurids wouldn't have given me a bent penny unless I could get their army down to 20,000 or so).

Duke of Wellington - Technically Ming didn't, as Bali starts as a settled province which they annexed. Burgundy has South Africa, I suspect they're counting colonial range from there (they also have QftNW and an infuriating habit of discovering provinces six months before the maps would spread). Austria took Socotra in a war with Persia and are spreading from there. I have no idea where Scotland is coming from.

demokratickid - A Pope's gotta do what a Pope's gotta do :)

The colonial picture appears VERY odd, but I haven't had the chance to play a lot of EU3 and so don't know if this is typical.

I am a bit lost as to what your goals are, outside picking up some spice and sugar islands. Got any strategic ends in mind, or just winging it?

So – all set up for resumed hostilities against the Timurids. Troops in place, bring to full morale, may as well forge claims on the provinces I plan to seize.

Or not, as 3 out of 3 spies fail. Fortunately only one managed enough to even get discovered.

Anhalt converts and I release it as a vassal. Now, to war!

First blood goes to the Church, as our cavalry wades into scattered Timurid forces in Persia. Meanwhile, the colonial army boards its ships and sets out for Taiwan.

More map spread – it transpires that Taiwan is not the Timurids' only overseas colony. They've also settled the Andamans – and built them up to a full city. In the name of Allah, why?
And on the subject of “why?”, Portugal is settling Kamchatka.

And we get a map of western Australia, which no-one appears to be contesting. Forth, colonists! Australia shall be mine!

Back to the war. Our armies continue to be victorious against the infidel. Burgundy is doing well in the north. And not to be left out, the Indian Ocean fleets finds and captures a Timurid ship off Taiwan.

And on that note, a “Land Traditions Scorned” event. The game must think that capturing Timurid transports is significant.

Despite all this, the war continues to go reasonably smoothly. The Timurids have started building up sizeable armies – and 15,000 Delhi-ites have come to their aid and refuse to make peace – but nothing I can't handle. Burgundy is advancing in the south as well, incidentally overrunning several of the provinces I wanted. Thanks, I think.

Urgh! The noble Innocentius goes the way of his predecessors, falling amid a ring of slain enemies (about 14,000 enemies to be exact – the guy was serious). It was glorious – but also a stability hit. And the less said about Pius V the better. I hand him a banner, point him at the front lines, and hope the infidels can repeat.

A few more victorious battles and the Timurids' allies start to drop out. Their armies are down under 100,000.

Brave little minors department – Genoa has apparently invaded and captured the Andaman Islands.

More in hope than expectation, I send a peace offer for Hormuz, Kerman and the Andamans (to Genoa - they deserve something for the effort). The Timurids accept the 76% offer at 36% warscore, and it's time to bring the troops home and start work on forts and missionaries.

Persia_1671.JPG

The blue country, BTW, is Khorasan

A couple of years of nothing much – colony in Wadjuk, conversion in Laristan, Bithynia joins the HRE – and then, suddenly, I have a flash of insight.

Do you remember Aragon releasing Morea as a vassal? No? Well I'd almost forgotten it myself. But I check, and sure enough there's Morea, allied to Aragon only – and they're even Orthodox, so Deus Vult applies.

First, however, I need a fleet to win command of the Mediterranean from Aragon's 27 galleys.
The new Shipyard in Rome (thanks to the Indian Trade Company event) proves extremely useful. And how can you not love Wargalleons named Seraphim & Cherubim?
Naval 23 brings Chebecks to boost my construction. And it also brings Timor and Bone within colonial range.

The merchants are impressed with our efforts and make a donation to the cause. Burgundy once again guarantees our independence. The armies return from the East and gather in Italy.

And then, with my last batch of ships mere days from completion, Aragon re-annexes Morea. My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

Portugal DOWs Manchu again. The Timurids are at war with Vijayanagar. I am miffed.

Just to put the cap on it, the missionaries in Kerman and Hormuz both fail.

There is only one thing to do – lay waste the infidel. My armies are shipped right back across the Mediterranean and gather on the Timurid border.

I don't even have a CB, so I send in the spies again. God has not deserted me after all – two successes out of three and only one discovered.

And even as the war begins, it is announced that Persian is the latest accepted culture of the Papal States.

The war opens with a bang, as 25,000 Papal cavalry engage 26,000 Timurids in Ajam and kill half of them for the loss of 4,000 of their own. The Timurids are swiftly routed from the area between the Persian Gulf and the Caspian. But in the east, a Delhi force, 14,000 strong, has driven off the defenders of Kerman, with heavy losses.

Regrouping is necessary. Legnago eventually catches the Delhi-ites in Dash-i-Lut and leaves 15,000 of them dead on the field. Pius V, an unexpectedly competent general, drives the Timurids from Kerman and Hormuz. But, this time, Burgundy appears not to have showed, and a second wave of Timurids is now closing in on my rear.

The bad guys just keep on coming – Legnago has to go all the way back to Basra to drive off a Chagatai siege force. Pius V is met by more than 35,000 Timurids in Baluchistan and forced to fall back. I'm running out of units to plug the gaps.

Fortunately, Burgundy chooses this moment to turn up. 15,000 men land in Makran, aiding Pius to beat off the follow-up attack. The Timurid allies start to ask for separate peaces, requests I'm only to happy to grant.

The war goes on. Pius advances once more – and once more meets the 35,000 Timurids (and friends). Legnago defeats 28,000. Burgundy has pushed through the Caucasus and Genoa and Venice are overrunning provinces in Russia.

The Timurids, however, are uninterested in peace, or at least not peace on my terms. And no amount of slaughter seems sufficient to reduce their forces more than slowly. The tipping point may have arrived when Austria and allies DOW the Timurids in turn – and then comes an almighty crash.

Literally. Things start to go wrong when I alt-tab out to make notes and alt-tab back to find a black screen. I make one too many attempts to get the game running again and end up with the computer locked up so hard that even the three-finger salute brings no response and I have to resort to powering down.

Naturally, I hadn't saved my notes.

As I waited for the computer to boot back up, I found myself wondering if this would justify going back to the start of the session and, say, not missing that chance with Morea.

Then the computer boots and and the first thing I see is the OpenOffice Document Recovery screen. So having lost no more than six weeks (most importantly, Austria's DOW), on we go.

There is more slaughter to come on the Timurid front. There are revolts in Laristan. Slaves uprise in Mauritius. Papal armies fail to storm Samarkand. Austria DOWs on cue..

And the Timurids agree to cede Mosul and Sharizor (to Burgundy), Luristan, Ajam and Mazandaran (to me).

Persia_1680.JPG

Slider time, and Free trade once more.

I case you haven't had enough weirdness in this update, Portugal forces Manchu to release the Oirat Horde. Austria has colonised Diego Garcia, France is colonising New Zealand, and Champa (who already owns Makassar), inherits Gondwana.

Pius V, having served mightily in battle against the infidel, goes to his reward (in the special coffin, with spikes on the inside). Pius VI is a notable improvement, especially his Diplomacy 8.

Kerman and Hormuz convert. We hire a good general, Hadrianus Casanova.

England and Portugal DOW Sweden and Denmark. The Austria-Timurid war seems to be going well for the good guys, though the Timurids still have more troops and the world's top three generals.

I hit Trade 25 and decide to take a break.

The East Indies, 1680, showing the Papal colonies, plus assorted others
E_Indies_1680.JPG

That's Burgundy and Austria on Java, Ming on Bali and Borneo, Korea and Manchu(!) on Sumatra,
Orissa(!!) in Malacca and Sarawak, Champa(!!!) in Makassar, Japan on Sulu and Scotland(!?) on Ternate.

There is indeed a fair amount of weirdness with the above - starting off with that first peace offer. The Almightly must be on your side to get them to accept such a lopsided offer. Everything else doesn't seem quite so odd when prefaced with that :)

Seems like Ming has gone on quite the conquering spree again. Do you plan on taking them on soon, or are you going for the Timurids/India first?

Obviously you should not concern yourself with little orthodox states and go for the big beasts ;)

Wow... I wonder what the new pope said when you told him to be at the persian front in five mins? :rofl:

Beat the timurs!
And if you have Deus Vult, why need a reason to attack timurs? :confused:

Hadrianus + Casanova... that is interesting... :D

merrick said:
And even as the war begins, it is announced that Persian is the latest accepted culture of the Papal States.
With all the surprises we got this time, i wouldn't even be surprised if your capital in Persia in the next update...

Director - Good to hear from you (sorry for missing your post last time). What happened in the East Indies was that colonial range system kept colonists out of the region until Burgundy, Austria & I got access pretty much simultaneously. Whoever explored it first obviously didn't have a base to colonise from. I don't know quite how Korea, Manchu & Champa did what they did, but I suspect being allied to Ming was a big part of it. As to what I'm doing - grabbing resources (gotta keep that #1 spot on the Rich List) and possibly setting up a move against somewhere like Malacca.
But hold on to your hat. It gets wierder.

Duke of Wellington - It wasn't quite that wierd - Manchu isn't allied to Ming, only Korea, so Portugal didn't have to face the Chinese Hordes. OTOH, forcing the release of Oirats was still pretty strange. And there's more Portuguese strangeness to come in the next installment. ;)
And yes, I was cursing when Aragon re-annexed Morea. I'd forgotten they could, or I'd have made sure to send my DOW before the ten years was up, instead of two months after.

stnylan - The beauties of the War Capacity system - and of being allied to someone with 180,000 troops. In NA, large empires will quit once their armies are beaten, without you having to go round conquering every single province. The problem comes when they bury their army in some colony somewhere and won't come out to fight.

Qorten - Timurids/India. One major enemy at a time.

Murmurandus - It wasn't a CTD, it was a full-blown crash-forcing-reboot. Fortunately(?) long EU2 experience has trained me to use yearly autosave, and OpenOffice document recovery worked really well.

Slinky - What little Orthodox states? Other Catholics keep bringing them to the light before I get the chance. Bastards.

Enewald - Given that he had the government skills of a lemming, something like "Chaaaarge!" :)
Dues Vult lets me attack the Timurs (or whoever) with no stability hit - but it still costs more BB to attack without CB. Plus I need cores on all the CoTs I take, and (since culture acceptance is based on cores), it's useful to gain new cultures faster. For some reason, you can't fabricate claims on your own provinces...
With a name like Hadrianus Casanova, I reckon he has to be skilled in the defence and the attack (or at least the pursuit).

dem61s - funny you should mention that. I've been considering moving my capital to Jerusalem...

Surabaya becomes a city – and more importantly, a port from which to expand further east. I send a colonist to convert Taiwan and start claiming spice islands as fast as I can.

Champa is going crazy. In less than a year they annex Taungu and Orissa, and now control a seven-province block in Eastern India as well as bits and pieces elsewhere.

Bali revolts from Ming and duly declares war on Ming and its five allies (including Champa and Japan). 10/10 for bravery, 0/10 for prospects.

The Timurids make peace with Poland, promising to release Ryazan and the Qasim Khanate – as the deceitful infidels well knew, this isn't possible and it was the Qasim Khanate that actually emerged.

After a year or two of doing nothing, my reputation is verging on “honourable”. The Timurids are still fighting Austria, so I DOW the Mamelukes, just in case they thought I was forgetting about that core on Cairo.

Matters have gone so far downhill for them that Swahili is alliance leader. I overrun their remaining Arabian possessions in short order, storm Cairo, beat off an attempted invasion of Mocha and sweep up Bahrein, Qatar, Liwa and Beni Yas.

England takes four Scandinavian provinces from Denmark. Scotland (drat them) manages to nick Flores, though I have secured the other islands (Ambom, Ceram, Buru, Tidore, Halmahera). Scotland is also trying to colonise Mindanao, which is full of enough savage natives to make even them feel at home.

France inherits Cyprus. It was bound to happen someday.

Castile opens a new CoT in America. Bali has somehow emerged alive. Burgundy has colonised Vanatau and (with Scotland) is settling Luzon. I have a fresh batch of colonists ready, so off they go to Australia.

France has opened a CoT in Tahiti. Timurids open one in Dash-i-Lut. They're still at war with Austria, and disturbingly seem to be holding their own. I forge claims on Dash-i-Lut immediately, of course, and get discovered, which costs me a BB point. Luristan and Mazandaran convert, but Ajam remains obstinate.

Portugal DOWs Manchu again. In a situation worthy of comic opera, all their remaining European provinces, including Lisboa, have been allowed to revolt away to France or Castile.
Munster once again revolts from Burgundy. Once again we come bravely to our ally's aid. Not to be left out, Gelre DOWs too.

For some unfathomable reason, Magdeburg decides to defend Munster from Gelre and is promptly annexed. We discover the first of the Australian gold provinces and, having learned our lesson, send the colonist first and then deal with the natives.

My 6-star Army reformer dies. Once again, the best thing in the pool is a 2-star diplomat.
It's a mark of the times that my Trade and Production tech (25) are now ahead of my Government tech.

Gelre sweeps up Munster as well. Castille DOWs Shawnee, giving us another round of war taxes. The Timurids (almost as bad as the French) open yet another CoT, this one in Maital. They are still at war with Austria, and indeed appear to be winning.

France sneaks into one Australian province. Burgundy, in their first outbreak of independent foreign policy for decades, DOWs Persia. I male a play for Gilan and Najran, but Burgundy makes peace on me for the renunciation of a few cores and the release of Tripoli.

My reputation is well into “respectable” again. Checking the Timurids, I note that they have 100,000 men and 8 of the world's 9 top generals. No wonder Austria is having trouble.

Still, here goes nothing. Naturally the Timurids white peace with Austria as soon as I DOW. My naval squadron in the Persian Gulf is heavily defeated – which leads to most of my ports in the region being blockaded - and the land war rapidly turns into a game of picking off isolated detachments while avoiding the big stacks with the killer generals. Fortunately the Timurids are hamstrung by war exhaustion, and with their WC at 0% (despite having several armies active and few provinces occupied), they agree to turn over Gurgan and Dash-i-Lut.

Arabia and Persia after the latest war
Arabia_1691.JPG

The Papal missionaries go 4/4 in Arabia and add Ajam soon after. Apparently God likes us again.

Slider-push and Free Trade again. Colonialism in the East (basically the Philippines & Celebes) has become a wild free-for-all with Scotland, Burgundy, Castile, France, Portugal and now England throwing in colonists wherever they see a space – and with all the hostile natives around, spaces are frequent.

The East Indies in 1691
E_Indies_1691.JPG

All change! Scotland has had Mindanao and lost it, but they do have Flores and Sorong. (The yellow in Luzon is Castile, the blue is France.)
Portugal has moved in on Palawan and Pose and Bali and Brunei are independent.

It's all gone quiet... What will I do when my BB reaches 0?

To avert this dreadful prospect, I send forth my spies to forge claims on the Timurid CoTs of Ahmedabad and Jaipur and the Vijayanagar CoT in Kutch – to no avail, as the spies simply take the money and vanish.

I take a year out clobbering natives and try again, this time getting a core on Jaipur. India is calling...