• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(87106)

Romanorum Imperator Augustus
3 Badges
Nov 11, 2007
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
Nika! The Rise Of Modern Greece: Part II

ss1gp2.png

Nika! The Rise Of Modern Greece: Part I

Table Of Contents

Chapter One: Union
Chapter One: Honeymoon
Chapter Two: War I
HISTORY INTERLUDE: The Italian War - 1
Chapter Two: War II
Chapter Two: War III

Last edited:
Author's Note

Author's Note

Welcome to Part II of Nika! The Rise Of Modern Greece! I sincerely hope you enjoy this AAR as much as I will enjoy writing it. I have decided to "dip my feet" into the world of character-driven narrative AARs. This AAR will have a sort of Godfather-theme ,as evidenced by the title picture. "Machiavellia" is a made-up word, by me, which is based of Machiavellian teaching of becoming powerful through evil ways, basically Machiavellia is a word that turns "Machiavellian" into a title (like the Alexiad, Aeneid, Odyssey etc.)

This AAR will be set in late 1930's and on - Greece. In the world of Emperor John II's corrupt and often brutal dictatorship, many crime families evolved throughout Greece. These became the infamous Greek mafia families. They were brutal, yet effective, in accomplishing their goal of amassing a fortune, albeit gained through blood, and they were known to have heavy influence with the corrupt Greek government and officials. This AAR will chronicle the Alexiou family's rise and fall and their interactions with other Greek crime families. Also, I will occasionally switch back and forth with a soldier's war story (for variety). The overall style of this AAR will be narrative with occasional pictures. Every once in awhile (at major turning points) I'll post a map and a short historical update to keep you updated on what is going on in the world. Please enjoy!

:) asd

Last edited:
Michaeru said:
I've followed Part I and want to express my interest. :3

Thanks, hope you enjoy it. [overhype]Also, I just briefly set out the entire story in bullet form and believe me, it will take you on a roller coaster ride! [/overhype]

All fear the Greek Mafia.

Should be interesting if they affect OTL at all.

Very nice Vicky AAR you had, can't wait for the Hoi2 continuation. Post it soon!

will be following this with passion, am happy you took this on. If your narrative skills represent the same ammount of skill used at writing a history book like the first part, then i am sure we are in for something special.

Chapter One

Union

GrPh091-ex.jpg

(Mood Music)

“I now pronounce you man and wife” said Father Irenaios with finality. It was done. Antonis Alexiou and Maria Lekkas were finally united after many months of convincing their rival families to let the wedding happen. Many years ago, a member of the Lekkas family double-crossed an Alexiou in business and a rift had grown ever since. But reluctantly, Dimitrios Alexiou and Leonidas Lekkas, the two patriarchs of their respective families, made a truce between their families and the wedding was on.

The beautiful ceremony ended with tears of happiness on either side of the modest church. Love had conquered family rivalries and the two young people were united. As they exited the church doors, they were greeted with a line of children walking in circles and lightly tossing flowers on the ground in a pretty ceremony, specially set up by Dimitrios. The sun was bright in the sky as the crowd gathered outside the Church of Saint Stefanos to take pictures.

And so, the wedding guests moved on in their small Model-T’s and early cars to the house of the groom. It was a grand villa several miles outside Ioannina, the heavily industrial city in Epirus, northern Greece. It’s white-washed walls and vine covered column served to create a peaceful and pristine atmosphere, perfect for the wonderful weather and the beautiful couple’s wedding day.

A spit with lamb on it was set up in the massive and green front yard while the Greek folk band took their places and started to play their Middle-Eastern influenced music. As the aroma of Greek food and the sounds of Balkan music filled the air, the party began. Tables and chairs were set up by the hired servants as the wedding guests danced. Finally, the tent went up and dinner was served. Talking and inter-mingling between families filled the air, something that was rare for wealthy crime families. Not a hint of tension could be detected.

As the night slipped over the land, the grand celebrations slowly faded away and finally, only the newlyweds remained. They kissed their parents and in-laws goodbye and prepared to leave for Kephalonian honeymoon the next day. They nestled themselves into their bed and began whatever it is that newlyweds do on their wedding night.

Two kinds of passion flowed hotly that night. In the house of the newlyweds, romantic and sexual passion was in the air throughout the night. But in the house of the Lekkas, a different kind of passion flowed, though not so romantic…

Cool to see this continue. Taking a look at individual people then?

Might take a look at your fantasy AAR.

Thanks for the comments!

Do you think the mood music fit the scene well? (the song did take awhile to fade in...)

RGB said:
Cool to see this continue. Taking a look at individual people then?

For the most part, yes. But later on, there will be history sections (though they will be scarce)

Nice start, i like the style...

asd21593 said:
They nestled themselves into their bed and began whatever it is that newlyweds do on their wedding night.

and this made me chuckle slightly... ;)

Chapter One

Honeymoon

Old-Cat-shot_03.jpg

(Mood Music)

“Maria, are you ready?” said Antonis as the Alexiou servants brought out the luggage and loaded it on the car.

“Yes, I’m coming dear,” replied Maria, shouting from inside the house. She came out in her yellow dress and Antonis’ heart melted. Her blonde hair and bronze skin made for an amazing contrast that no man could resist. ‘She’s so beautiful, I can’t believe she married me!’ Antonis thought.

The couple got into the silver-painted Model-T and drove of, the gates of their villa closing behind them. They drove for about an hour, when they finally reached the industrial city of Ioannina. They came to a small runway slightly outside the city. It was one of the few airports in Greece. With combined Alexiou and Lekkas money, a small private plane was rented out for the couple to fly in. They greeted the pilot, and they were off. After a short while, they were high enough to see far out across the Ionian Sea and see the islands.

“Wow, this is so exciting!” said Maria.

“Yes, you can ever see Kerkira from here,” Antonis added.

After a couple of hours, they landed on the island of Lefkada. Its golden beaches and sunny skies were perfect for a honeymoon.

“Oh Antonis! This place is beautiful,” said Maria, as their rental car rode up to the wonderful hotel.

The Odyssey Hotel was indeed beautiful. It had beige walls and large columns. Its grand façade looked like the ancient Greek temples of old. They entered the lobby and checked into the room. They unpacked their luggage, but by the time they were settled in and had “broken in the bed” so to speak, it was late.

So they went out for a night on the town. After a wonderful dinner, they snuck onto a closed beach and the romantic fire was set aflame once more. As the kissing grew to something more, a strange feeling came across Antonis Alexiou. Someone was watching them. Something was in the air that was not right. And then it all went black…

--------------

“Antonis!” screamed Maria, with a bloodcurdling shriek.

The blood was all over her bare skin. ‘My God, they’ve killed him!’ she thought in disbelief. He was dead. His brains were laid out on the cold Greek beach. The bullet had pierced his skull just as Maria’s screams pierced the silent night sky. An unknown man in the distance raised his gun as a silhouetted figure. And with that distinctive Lekkas accent and demeanor he shouted…

“An Alexiou is not worthy of the pearl of the Lekkas girls!”

The war had begun…