• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
got the same problem (with full game, not demo one) , while i try to select a nation to start with (or even one of the tutorials) the game crashes with application error:
Nome evento problema: APPCRASH
Nome applicazione: RomeGame.exe
Versione applicazione: 1.0.0.0
Timestamp applicazione: 47ff3b95
Nome modulo con errori: RomeGame.exe
Versione modulo con errori: 1.0.0.0
Timestamp modulo con errori: 47ff3b95
Codice eccezione: c0000005
Offset eccezione: 001fc88b
Versione SO: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
ID impostazioni locali: 1040
Informazioni aggiuntive 1: 8d13
Ulteriori informazioni 2: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311
Ulteriori informazioni 3: 8d13
Ulteriori informazioni 4: cdca9b1d21d12b77d84f02df48e34311

im sorry i dont run eng vista english version so this error message is in italian :(

running in compatibility mode, with admin privilege , changing res, downloading latest driver for 8800 gtx downoading various direct x , looks like nothing works...

where can i get a direct x auto install ( without to put the name folder my self) or what is the name folder i must put in to install direct x 9.0c marchj version??

en more, xithout genuine...

thanks

Dark Scipio said:
To bad it also needs the Pixel Shader 2.0. So I cant try the demo...

I've been wondering what does this PS 2.0 do for me? except giving problems in many new games, why can't it be simulated by calling PS 1.0 or a NULL function?

Surt said:
I've been wondering what does this PS 2.0 do for me? except giving problems in many new games, why can't it be simulated by calling PS 1.0 or a NULL function?

PS 2.0 (Pixel Shader Model 2), to simplify, is used to draw the pixels on your screen. Different versions allow you more or less code for doing so and different nice features to use.

The reason for not using PS 1.0
1. Very very limiting, so development takes longer, there are also other limitations like how many textures you can use.
2. Any computer with card that doesnt support 2.0 will most probably be too slow to run the game at playable speeds even if we emulated stuff using 1.0 anyway (which would require double the work and be much slower).

EDIT: actually all the shader code is there i the gfx folder, so anyone with enough time on their hands could probably pull off a PS 1.0 port, if you managed to cut down the texture usage.

See wikipedia for more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_shader

Ok, can someone give me an easily accessible place to get 9.0c from? I can't get it from Johan's link, same as spl. From filefront their download is all weird, filled with .rar files. Wasn't able to start the demo with those, extracted or not. I hate that these things are so complicated. Are game developers really that selfish?

Why couldn't you get it from that link? Do you not have a legal version of Windows?

In any case, I've put a second link in there, try that.

It's all good, dude. Hermesthetechmaster helped me out and it's working now. Sorry for the rant...I just get easily frustrated when things don't work with the computer. :)

Thanks though!

I have downloaded the demo, and it runs fine but maybe a little slow in loading. When I click on a military unit on the map the game crashes to a black screen and then I get a message the the program must shut down. I will not buy the game unless it will work on this computer. And its sad because Ive really liked most parts of the game I was able to do.

Downloading Direct X

I'm having the same probably downloading. Direct X it will not go through. Widows has blocked the download because it cant verify the publisher. Does anyone know another way to bypass this? Please Help!!!

well I do now the direct X is not the problem because i just installed the latest version of 9 c and it still crashes when i select a military unit.
"Rome.exe has encountered a problem and must shut down."

Can yall create a game that is not loaded with bugs and crashes?

Same problem here game (demo) crashes on selecting an Army.
Direct X9c installed and latest drivers for video as well. Hardware exceeds all requirements.

Is this just an issue with the demo or does it affect the game to?

I don't really want to purchase a buggy game.

Try editing the settings.txt file in the Rome directory, and change to multisampling=0 and fullScreen=no, see if they help.

Last edited:
germanpeon said:
I am having the same problem. I was pretty darn sure I had the latest version of DirectX, but apparently I dont. I downloaded the dxwebsetup post above and that went fine, but the program fails when it tries to initialize after I accept the license agreement.

same problem with me, have you found a way to get past this?

Hello all,

I am strongly considering buying the EU:Rome gold edition.

However, I have numerous problems with the demo that make me less willing to buy the full game itself. I have Windows Vista 64-bit with DX10 and also DX9 updated to the latest version; but nearly every time I play the demo I cannot get past the menu screen. When I select the single-player campaign, the map does not load properly and the game freezes, forcing me to Ctrl-Alt-Del back to the desktop.

The demo does seem to work OK when I turn off fullscreen in the settings file, but when I do this I am unable to access parts of the game screen. Plus, I don't want to play the game in windowed mode; if I pay for a game and have the required specs, I think I should be at least able to play it properly, i.e., fullscreen.

Any thoughts on how I can play EU:Rome without resorting to windowed mode? First correct answer will convince me to buy the gold edition ;)

I know i will boring some people. But i just reinstall HOI2 and i still have the error about d3dx9_35.dll even if i download some driver directly from microsoft. What i can do?