• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
One other thing he needs, I think, is the date: post-1569, or something similar ;).
Very well done. Actually, exceptionally well done, especially when bearing in mind Dark Scipio's two unsuccessful attempts at playing Friesland.
Now, what are you going to try and take from the Burgundians? I would consider taking Artois and Ile de France - to make it harder for France to form. And hampering their progress should now be your main goal, as they will replace your archenemy, Burgundy, once the latter disappears.

I believe he isn't interested in taking non-dutch culture provinces himself. That's why I think creating a strong Lorraine would be a decent means of hampering French progress. Try to get them Champagne and Ile de France. Hopefully vassalize them before they get too strong, then gain them Nivernais and maybe even Bourgogne. Those would be some good wealthy provinces best kept out of French control.

Anarion: Well, actually, it is Lorraine who are the bully, as it was them who started the war. But Burgundy deserves it nonetheless. ;)

coz1: Yeah, I was also surprised to see how "easy" it was to fight them in the last war. It seemed like they never managed to finish a siege. It might have something to do when I looted their capital. Then they aborted the sieging and returned to their capital to defend it, but then I was of course gone. :cool: For this war, I actually hope England would be a bit more helpful for Burgundy. I would like the challenge. :)

Brian: Helping Lorraine to get some Burgundian provinces sounds like a good plan. I will try to take Artois from Burgundy, and then help Lorraine for the rest of the war. Hopefully they will take those provinces you mentioned in the last post. I might also help Cleves getting Luxemburg, or take it myself and release it as a vassal.

As for Calais, I think I will hold on to it until someone really try to take it. I got the Decline of Calais event right after I got it, but it got a decent income - around 20 ducats yearly.

Minarchist:
Yeah, I got all I need now, that is, Zeeland, Friesen, Holland and Geldre. I just have to wait until 1569 as Emperor_krk said. Edit: 1559. :)

Emperor_krk: Thanks! :) I guess avoiding forceannexing is the way to go for Friesland. I haven't met Denmark once in war yet, while Scipio got ravaged by them for the whole game, just due to high BB.

I will try to take Artois from Burgundy, as this has Dutch culture. Other than that I will just loot and help Lorraine and Cleves in the war. And as Brian said in his last post, I won't take French provinces, even if it tempting to own Paris... ;)

--

Update coming tomorrow!

Getting the Upper Hand

Just like the first war Friesland had against Burgundy, Dauphiné joined the fray after a few days (declared war on Burgundy). With Burgundy and England already occupied with their war against Milan, Switzerland ++, it would be an easy war for Friesland.

f8pc5.jpg

As you see, Burgundy experienced a total collapse. I could have continued the war for a while, but Lorraine didn't manage to capture any provinces, so I decided to settle for Artois to Friesland and Luxemburg to Cleves in 1494. Dauphiné's war ended at the same, and they gained Gascogne and Wessex! Where on earth is the English navy? Anyway, as the war had ended, I decided to bribe Oldenburg, so I could finally annex them in 1495. I got 29000 infantry in the deal.

Dauphiné didn't get any provinces from Burgundy in the last war, so they went for war again in 1498. This wasn't the only important event in 1498 - Friesland had still problems with the civil war:

f6eu7.jpg

The event doesn't seem so bad at first impression; getting more centralized is nice. However, Friesland also became a vassal of Saxony, and thus leaving the alliance with Lorraine and Cleves. As soon as stability got up to 0, I canceled the vassalization in 1499. I rejoined the old alliance, where Lorraine was now the leader.

It didn't take long time before Frisian soldiers had to prepare for war again, this time against... Burgundy. Been there, done that. Burgundy didn't have any provinces I wanted (well, I want Brabant, but that is their capital), so my plan was to help Lorraine and Cleves as much as possible so they could get some sieges going.

f9hs6.jpg

Finally the English navy entered Frisian waters. They should never have done that, as all their ships were destroyed.

The Frisian alliance had fairly good control over Burgundy, even if Burgundy wasn't in a war against other countries. Cleves did remarkably well; they managed to capture Brabant and Franche-Comté quickly, and got the latter one in a peace deal. Lorraine did very well too. After a while they had captured Alsace and Champagne, while I controlled Caux and Ile de France. I was in fact a bit worried here, as Lorraine might have ended the war and given me Caux and/or Ile de France. Therefore I ended the war with Burgundy, getting (only) 100 ducats. Lorraine was finished a year later - they got Alsace, Nivernais and Picardie from Burgundy. Not bad. To demonstrate their might, Lorraine vassalized Cleves when the war had ended, and they invited the Palatinate and Mainz to the alliance. Meanwhile Friesland researched Trade 3 and LT 9, in addition to get something good out of the Saxon leadership:

f7tg6.jpg

The next years were peaceful for the alliance. Frieslands navy was further expanded, and Holland's and Artois' forts were upgraded in 1514. Artois' fort was upgraded by an Italian Engineer. Land tech level 11 was also reached. The peace was interrupted by a very short war, though. Lorraine released Strasburg as vassal, who was quickly DoW'ed by Mainz. The war lasted 2 months and 16 days, when the Palatinate annexed Strasburg and got Alsace for themselves. Was that your plan, Lorraine? :p

With all but one Dutch province under Frisian control, I really look forward to do some exploring and get colonies up and running. Spain have alreay gotten a long way. They annexed the Aztecs in 1519. Nations were also annexed in Europe: Berg was annexed by Cleves in 1521 (event). Soon afterwards, the alliance led by Lorraine expired. It was recreated under Frisian leadership. Meanwhile reformation had started in Europe. Some provinces had converted, and even some German minors like Hesse. No Frisian provinces had converted yet though, but I suspect Oldenburg to convert soon. Regardless, not everyone was happy with the current situation. Mainz, in Friesland's alliance, was already Counter-reform Catholic. As they had CB against Protestant Hesse, they declared war on them in 1528 bringing in the Frisian alliance. On Hesse's side is Hanover and Saxony.

f10ev7.jpg

I'm a bit worried with the situation in the southwest. I don't think a game without France will bring the fun challenges I want. Does anyone know if/when France will form? And will Burgundy continue to live, or will Spain inherit their lands soon?

I wonder if France needs Ile de France to form. Either way, it sounds like you will have some religious wars to deal with for the time being.

Olav said:
I'm a bit worried with the situation in the southwest. I don't think a game without France will bring the fun challenges I want. Does anyone know if/when France will form? And will Burgundy continue to live, or will Spain inherit their lands soon?
I'm almost sure that Ile de France is needed for France to form. And I think Burgundy is going to continue to live: the Austrians didn't inherit them, and I think the deathdate of the Spanish inheritance event must be gone already. Therefore you should think of making it possible for Dauphine to cripple Burgundy, somehow. Perhaps ally them?

If YodaMaster watches this (which he probably does, covertly - it's an AGCEEP game, innit?;)), he will surely know the answer.

Is Ile de France really needed? I thought in that Safavid SG, England controlled Ile de France until well into the 16th century, if not later, but France still formed with their capital at Berri. They controlled a lot more than they do here. They certainly don't have key provinces like Orleannais, Champagne, or Bourgogne that they controlled in the other game.

I would expect that a power vacuum in France would encourage a particularly strong Spain. 1.55 is supposed to keep them from getting too interested in controlling Europe though. So, maybe the mid-game might have to be about colonizing with a fair level of security at home...

That was a good couple of decades for Friesland. I guess its some bad luck that Lorraine vassalized Cleves as that will keep you from being able to vassalize either of the two. Other than that the gains made by all of the states in the alliance were quite beneficial.

Subscribing - I've enjoyed your other AARs and I'm hoping you last longer than Dark Scipio.

I never played Friesland in EU2 but I gave up a campaign in EU3 - I had all of Brazil and I'd just diploannexed the Big White Blob. It's a great start position knowing that sooner or later Burgundy will come calling so you better be ready.

I'd hang on to Calais, in case France does form and you need to buy them off.

coz1: I have played some more, and believe me, there will be a lot of religious wars coming. ;)

Emperor_krk: I don't know if I want to let Dauhiné get too many French provinces. They do have a permanent CB on me, so if they get Burgundian provinces so we'll share the same border, I'm sure they will DoW me sooner and later. Even if Dauphiné won't get any leaders, I think they could create big problems for me nevertheless. So I will stick with my alliance for the time being and let them take Burgundian provinces instead of letting Dauphiné taking them. :)

chefkoch: Thank you. ;) A Europe without France is almost too good to be true - I guess they will revolt sooner or later, though (if that is possible with both Dauphiné and Burgundy present).

Brian: I had also expected (or, feared actually ;)) a strong Spain with provinces in France. However, this hasn't occured yet. In fact, Dauphiné holds a Spanish province (Navarra). I do like that they don't fight (much) against each other: hopefully none of them grows as strong as Spain did in the Livonian Order AAR.

Yeah, I was a bit angry when Lorraine vassalized Cleves, but I can't get everything I want either... ;)

PrawnStar: Nice to have you along. :)

It sounds like you were very successful with Friesland in EU3 - do you have any tips that might work for me as well? Colonizing Brazil is one of my goals, after all, most of the tobacco is there. :)

--

Update coming this evening.

The League of Holland

I had not much to gain from a war against the German alliance, but I didn't want to appear rude, so I joined in. The enemy was already in a war against the Habsburgs, so not much opposition was expected. However, while my allies were busy fighting in Germany, Burgundy declared war on Lorraine. Burgundy never grows tired of fighting us, it seems! Instead of going after Lorraine, Burgundy besieged Artois, while I besieged Brabant with 30 new cannons. When Saxony offered 48 ducats for peace, I accepted the offer, as my allies could focus on Burgundy instead of the Protestants. The war against Burgundy did thus quickly get more bloody, when thousands of Germans entered the battlefield.

After four years of warfare, Burgundy had lost too many provinces, and deciced to accept my offer of giving Bourgogne to Cleves and Luxemburg to Lorraine. As the year was 1532, I wondered if perhaps Burgundy's ally England (still in war against them) had made any interesting discoveries. Perhaps a capture of London would be possible? I sent the Frisian fleet outside Anglia:

f12vx7.jpg

Mein Gott!

No chance of getting that army out of the way...(England was in a war against Dauphiné; I guess that was the reason why England guarded their capital so well). Instead the Frisian fleet was sent out on a "seek and destroy" mission. After enough warscore was collected, peace was concluded for 75 ducats. Trade level 4 was researched while the war was raging.

That was the last action for a while for Friesland. Since I had all the provinces I needed for the creation of the Netherlands, I just wanted to wait for the event to trigger. So my plan was to keep out of wars for the time being. Instead I focused on improving income through maintaining the Frisian monopoly in Flandern, and expanding the navy. The navy counted 60 ships in 1534; the fourth biggest in the world. Not bad for a nation of that size, I would say. :) To further strenghten the navy, I invested quite a lot of money in naval techs, and thus reaching NT 11 in 1534.

Meanwhile, a lot of nations converted to Protestantism, like England, Denmark and Sweden. Friesland had some provinces converted too, Holland to Protestant and Oldenburg to Reformed. Meanwhile, Dauphiné was evidently tired of watching Burgundy's provinces getting eaten up by Lorraine and Cleves, so another war was started in 1539. After only two years of war, Dauphiné managed to get a nice deal: Normandie, Caux and Ile de France to them. Rats, now I have Dauphine on my border. Could get interesting.

And it indeed became interesting. After having annexed their alliance leader Savoy in 1544, Dauphiné declared war on Cleves. I was a bit tired of fighting wars in France that no longer benefited me. In addition to that, I would sooner or later convert to Protestantism, so I decided to turn down Cleves' offer to join the war. Hopefully Cleves and their allies would manage to handle Dauphiné without Frisian help. Anyway, one month later Friesland officialy became Protestant, with only one Protestant province. Income will suffer from this, but it shouldn't be a problem to get the wheels go around.

I didn't pay much attention, but it seemed that the Germans managed to hold Dauphiné back. However, when Burgundy once again went to war against Lorraine, they couldn't hold the French back anymore. Cleves had to give Bourgogne and Franche-Comté to Dauphiné and 42 ducats to Burgundy. On the other hand, Palatinate got Orléanais from Burgundy. Strange region Friesland is living in... :)

Four years had passed where Friesland had to live without an alliance. It ended in 1548 when I found my former enemy Saxony with room for another alliance member. Denmark and Hesse were already in it, and all were protestants. The alliance was currently in war against Sweden, a war I had no interest to fight in. When the war against Sweden finally ended, the Protestant alliance stopped being, uh, 100% Protestant, as Friesland became Reformed (I had to rejoin the alliance). The 10% extra Trade Effeciency is really nice! Also, during the war Friesland got Infra level 4 (1555), and legal judges were promoted all over the country. Not long after that a new CoT opened in London, where Frisian merchants immediately secured a monopoly.

The years passed, even past 1559, but no creation event triggered. Finally, in 1566, I saved and reloaded to get the message I had waited for so long to arrive:

f11fv1.jpg
You may now kiss my Pinky Ring. :D

Alright! Some of the conditions are a bit tough (like the 10% inflation), but it's nice to finally have created the Netherlands. I also got a core on Brabant, so I will do my best to get Burgundy down to 1 province, and get that diploannexed when I get the chance. Also, Friesen, Zeeland and Flandern converted to Reformed. One good thing leads to another!

Regarding Brabant and Burgundy: Burgundy is still a vassal of England, and they are allied. So it isn't possible to forcevassalize them. Moreover, Brabant is Reformed. Is it possible to forceconvert Burgundy then? Finally, I checked if it was possible to release vassals, and, indeed, it was possible to release French Catholics in Calais. If I take Champagne from Burgundy (their last province except Brabant), will the French Catholics get that province too? And maybe it would be possible to release France if I own Champagne? If so, who do you think I should release - France or French C.?

Lastly, it won't take long before the first explorer arrives. Where do you think I should send him first? I'm no expert on Dutch history, but they went east first, to Indonesia? Do you have any other general hints when it comes to playing the Netherlands?

f13id9.jpg

Doesn't it look nice? ;)

Olav said:
Well, your majesty, it seems that we're at war with the Dutch.

Henry VIII: Show them no mercy! Gather a force of nearly 100,000 men in the capital! That'll show them!

Then what, sire?

Henry: Then we'll have a whole lot of dudes up in the capital... maybe have a kegger.

Great! Well done - your domination of world's trade seems almost secured ;). I don't know where the Dutch went at first, but - shouldn't you be looking for Tobacco? If so, go west :).

You won't be able to release France - revolt.txt says that if Dauphine or Burgundy exists, France cannot form. Therefore, releasing FUC seems like a good idea. Also, I think they will probably be given Champagne as well, should you own it while releasing them.

A very nicely looking Netherlands, Olav! :D

Good work!

Obviously release FUC, they're only a letter short of greatness and just think of the local university, FUC... (Childish I know but my inner child is very close to the surface :cool: )

I'm afraid I can't remember the EU2 map all that well, but I would imagine you either make friends with Portugal and use their ports or you make war and steal large chunks of their empire.

Ahh, the Dutch. Nice going. And I agree - when you start to explore, best to start in the new world for that tobacco.

Nice! The Netherlands will become a first-rate colonial power in no time with such a solid base, I am sure.

I don't remember if AGCEEP had this, but I do distinctly remember that if you had >100 ships in a fleet, it will experience no attrition.

I have no idea how that could be of interest to you, though :cool:

Minarchist said:
I don't remember if AGCEEP had this, but I do distinctly remember that if you had >100 ships in a fleet, it will experience no attrition.

I have no idea how that could be of interest to you, though :cool:
I think it's a hardcoded feature, so yes, it would be present in AGCEEP as well.

Brian: Well, their gigantic party managed to scare me away. ;)

Emperor_krk and coz1: Yeah, it's probably best to go west - maybe I can secure some of those Brazilian tobacco provinces before the Portugese get them.

PrawnStar: FUC will be released, even with or without Champagne. :)

Getting friendly with the Portugese so I could get access to their ports would have been very nice considering exploring both west and eastwards. However, I think they already own many provinces I want, so I guess it will be difficult to maintain friendly relations with them when I wage war against them. ;)

germanpeon: Hopefully they will - but right now income isn't enough to start a major colonial expansion. :( More on this in the next update, which is coming in a couple of hours.

Minarchist: As Emperor_krk said, it is present in AGCEEP as well. And it is indeed interesting to me - it's not bad to be able to explore the whole world without losing a single ship. :cool: