• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
ComradeOm said:
:rofl: POTM!
On a slightly more serious note, it did give a very interesting insight into what it could have been like to live under an absolute monarchy.
Other fun things that that class taught me: the maximum "normal" number of children that a woman could give birth to in early 18th century Sweden was 17.

Last edited:
Just read through this RossN. It is up to your usual excellent standard. I do hope it is not to be abandoned.

Don't worry this is not abandoned (nor is The Bear in Winter). :)

I'm buried under exams in college at the moment so I haven't had much time to attend to this.

In the meantime keep suggestions for colonies coming in. I have a few locations in mind in the America's and East Africa, but I wouldn't mind hearing your guys thoughts. :)

Taiwan. All the tea you like, and millions of happy Nanfangren POPs to produce it for you :D

Iboland is always good. You'll be needing a coal mine to fuel your industrial revolution.

If you want your POPs to migrate, Thai Malasia/Johore is always good, as is Egyptian Tigray (because they have gold mines, and unemployed POPs love colonial gold mines)

Damn exams, schools and such, but let see colonies Indonesia is always nice if the Duch have not taken it all, and maybe a fieldtrip for the army to Bali

This does look interesting

Cinéad IV said:
Taiwan. All the tea you like, and millions of happy Nanfangren POPs to produce it for you :D

Iboland is always good. You'll be needing a coal mine to fuel your industrial revolution.

If you want your POPs to migrate, Thai Malasia/Johore is always good, as is Egyptian Tigray (because they have gold mines, and unemployed POPs love colonial gold mines)

I second Eritrea.

I love colonising Taiwan too.

And as for the Caribbean, Monteserat is the most Irish place outside of Ireland, don't forget that! ;)

Or, you could help the Newfoundland Irish, which has one of the only (few) Irish speaking regions outside Ireland. :cool:

I had the chance to visit Ireland (only dublin, unfortunately) for the first time about a month ago, and gosh... it was great. Great time. It's the homeland of about 1/8th of my heritage, so that was nice to see; and as a people and a country, they're all Elvis.

Maybe I missed this, but what are the policy specs on your ruling party?

"A million square miles of gravel"
(1850 - 1854)

Patagonian_battle.jpg

The Battle of Rio Colorado, 10th November 1851

Ireland had played no part in the South American troubles with Spain. While there was a natural sympathy with the rebels there was also cynicism that 'freedom from Spain' was code for 'British mercantile interests'. In any case the point had been moot as Ireland had had more than enough problems of her own.

By 1849 the situation had changed. Irish merchants had interests of their own in the America's, and they were not alone: the cassock followed the trade and the flag followed the cassock. Clippers stopped in Caracas and Montevideo and above all in Buenos Aires. Argentina, that huge empty country represented the greatest opportunity. Juan Manuel de Rosas, the infamous caudillo was considered a friend to Irish interests (or at least was willing to accept their aid against his numerous enemies). Unfortunately by the end of the 1840's it was clear that de Rosas's star was waning and Dublin was faced with a serious problem - a regime unsympathetic to their cause and a friend to the British. 1850 would see these questions swept aside by remarkable developments in Patagonia...

Irish Franciscans had begun preaching amongst the Indians some years earlier, much to the disgruntlement of the Argentineans, who regarded the area as their backyard. There's the rub; the Argentine patrimony of Patagonia was based more optimism and ambition than on any form of true control. On the frontier tempers could flare easily, and in early July 1850 the inevitable happened - a small church was attacked by a force of La Mazorca (Rosista paramilitaries). Many Indian converts were killed and a half dozen missionaries kidnapped and held for ransom. Though the local caudillo was swift to release the priests, and send his unruly men to the gallows the damage had been done.

Many in the Irish Government from Smith O'Brien down saw in the incident, and the huge public outcry that followed it, a chance to abandon the fading de Rosas. Thomas Francis Meagher, the dashing young Minister for War went further and publicly pushed for war with Argentina. O'Connell and the Archbishop of Armagh opposed such measures; as horrifying as the situation had been it was hard to see how conflict would cause any improvement.

They were swimming against the tide. Public opinion overwhelmingly called for Argentina to be "taught the error of her ways." At the beginning of November 1850 Smith O'Brien sent a deliberately provocative ultimatum to Buenos Aires, and on 11th November asked the King to declare war. Patrick, who loathed de Rosas, was only too ready to oblige.

The Patagonian War (November 1850 - September 1852) was a curious affair. The 44,000 Irish troops under General Joseph "Strange Joe" O'Connell (no relation) could have levelled Buenos Aires and many at home expected him to do that. Instead the good general set up camp by the Rio Colorado and disdaining to move into Argentina proper set about bringing Patagonia under his control; signing treaties with the Indians and expelling Argentines from missions, forts and trading posts. There was no fighting as such, at least in the south: the Argentines were too few and the Indians were cautiously neutral, recognising Irish suzerainty, but doing little to aid or hinder either party.

Strange Joe would finally get his fight towards the end of 1851, when 10,000 Argentine soldiers under Bartolomé Mitre attempted to cross the Rio Colorado. O'Connell's superior numbers and artillery brigade soon saw off the Argentineans, but to the disappointment of many he refused to march north. An unsuccessful attempt to outflank the Irish in March 1852 had an identical outcome.

In fact O'Connell was under strict orders not to enter Argentina proper. The Irish Government calculated that while the United States and Britain would protest over the war they would be unwilling to press the issue if the Irish stuck to the Argentinean-in-name only (if that) Patagonia. They were correct; Washington was too excited by Mexico and London by China to do anything.

The following year (1853) would see the war gradually winding down. The Irish were beginning to lose their passion for the war, and Smith O'Brien was anxious to repair relationships with Britain. Patagonia was becoming an embarassment. On the Argentinean side, Justo José de Urquiza the leading caudillo was weary of continuing a useless war for an uncertain outcome. Napoleon III, writing to his cousin Patrick urged the Irish King to negotiate a peace from a position of strength. The French stepped in with an offer to act as honest brokers.

The Treaty of Paris, signed on 12th May 1853 saw the Argentinean's recognise Irish control over Patagonia. To many it could only come as a dissapointment. As the Dublin Evening Mail scathingly put it:

"Alexander, Gauis Caesar and the Great Khan must hang their heads in shame. Mr Smith O'Brien and Mr O'Connell have surpassed them all... after only three years of war and heroic feats of gallantry they have won a million square miles of gravel, a feat unequaled by any warlord from the mists of history."

Still, Ireland had emerged with her honour intact. And if Patagonia did not look like some magnificent prize there were some in the country that had seen the war as more than sabre rattling. On 9th of May 1853, before the peace had formally been signed the Irish South American Company had formed in Dublin. It might seem unlikely that anyone could make their fortune in such a desolate country, but there were men willing to try...

patagonianw5.png

Irish controlled Patagonia, 1854

Some very good ideas here, thank you guys. A Great help. :)

Oh and here are the specs the current ruling party - the Conservatives:

IRE;7301;Conservative Party;1830;1859;conservative;interventionism;protectionism;pluralism;limited_citizenship;pro_military;all;all;x

If gravel is used properly, it can be used to make concrete. And everyone knows what concrete is best used for...

Speedbumps! and U-boat pens! :D

Well beggars can't be choosers when it comes to the colonising stakes, and Patagonia is a start.

Hah! Irish Patagonia! Brilliant!