• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ulmont

Field Marshal
103 Badges
May 9, 2001
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 200k Club
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Diplomacy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
This is based on Yves Prélot's masterful work, but outputs a save game file instead of a mod. As a result, it can directly translate some more things (badboy, treasuries, and stability, for example), and it doesn't require messing about with the mod selector.

Get it from the upload thread.

Instructions (copied from Yves' thread):

First, you have to have a java JRE version 1.6 or better installed

If you already have this, you can skip this step. Otherwise, go there and select Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 ; follow the instruction to install it.

You can (this is not required) check that the java runtime is correctly installed by using a command window and typing : java -version. You should get some meaningfull text, including java version number which must be equal to or greater than 1.6.

At this point, you can translate your save in a mod by using the bat file provided:

* ck2eu3.bat to translate your CK game into a vanilla EU3 save

In both cases, you will see some file selectors pop-up. Depending on your installation, you may be asked for:

* Crusader Kings install directory
* Europa Universalis III directory
* Crusader Kings save game to convert

The first two may or may not be asked, depending on what the program can get from your registry.

Cancelling at any point will abort the conversion process.

If all went well, a new mod named CK has been created in your EU3 game ; you have to select it to play your converted CK game.

If for some reason the above doesn't work, you may still resort to the old line command way.
Many people get stuck there, so read carefully:

Open a command window. If you're under windows, the easiest way is to use Start -> Execute and enter cmd there.

You first have to set the current directory to where you unzipped the utility. The command you'll have to pass requires that you know where (full path) your games are installed. This is what I call CKinstallPath and EU3installPath.
In my case, I would replace these by "C:\Program Files\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings" and "C:\Program Files\Paradox\Europa Universalis III" (note the quotes which are required when there are spaces in the name). Of course, you have to know the name of the game to transfer. Say this is autosave. Then, you'd write on the command line:

java -Xms1000m -Xmx1000m -jar CK2EU3.jar "C:\Program Files\Paradox Interactive\Crusader Kings" "C:\Program Files\Paradox\Europa Universalis III" autosave.eug

The most common mistakes for this not to work can be:

* The java environment is not correctly installed ; open a command window and write: java -version. This should return the current version of your java environment (1.6 or more) ; more important : if that command works, your java runtime is accessible.
* One of the games is not installed : both games must actually be installed because I use data files from both. Just making a fake directory hierarchy will not work.
* You have not unpacked all the required files : it is important that the CK2EU3.jar and the .txt files be in the same directory. This directory is wherever you want.
* You did not pass the command from the directory where you unpacked the CK2EU3.jar and cvdata.txt files. For example, if you unpack these into C:\tmp, then after you open the command shell, you must write :
C:
cd \tmp
to be in the right directory.
* Check that the names you use are the correct ones ; a typo will not be detected and will just tell you that a file was not found... So check and recheck both paths (EU3 and CK) ; to be sure, write the full path to the directories rather than relative paths ; also check the name of your save and don't forget the .eug at the end. Be sure that it exists and go in your CK\scenarios\save games directory to check that it exists.
* Be wary of spaces in the directory/file names : use quotes around any name that contains spaces (see my exemple above)
* This is a save file. Just load it as a normal EU3 save.

Hope this was clear!

VERSION HISTORY:

*1.30.RUC: Fork from Yves' 1.30 baseline to generate a save game rather than a mod.
* 1.31: (1.31 changelog is from Yves; I applied his changes to my tree)
eliminated a bug that made the country_modifier entry in cvdata mostly irrelevant.
eliminated a bug causing gold/prestige/piety not to be accounted for when checking for independence.
added yet another sanity check to detect inconsistencies in the vassalization links in the CK save (e.g. a duchy being vassal to another duchy)
* 1.31.RUC corrected the table for the CK -> EU3 base tax conversion, and set "scale CK tax" as the default conversion mechanism.
removed by default the "no overlord crown" rule.
removed NAJ and HED from convertable tags, and added SHR.
v 1.31.RUC-2 added a remerging step in the case that there are not enough tags for the number of desired independent countries. Corrected a cvdata.txt missing entry that was causing games with knightly orders to not convert.
v 1.31.RUC-3 corrected a problem with shipyards, as well as overlords that didn't really exist.

Last edited:
ulmont said:
If it's in the modding forum, can I get the ability to attach files to it?

You can attach your files in the same way I did for my mod : it is hosted in a thread in the scenario and modification upload thread.

This makes it a convenient place and I don't have to run a web page for this.
Here, you would provide a link to the thread.

Yves

Veldmaarschalk said:
Nobody has that ability in this part of the forum, not even I. :)
I thought Yves' download thread with attached files was here. Yves explained it to me, and so I have a suitable thread in the upload forum that this first thread is linked to.

thank you ulmont. i couldn't get the Yves converter to work, so i guess i dont have to wait for Hallsten's one.

hyme said:
thank you ulmont. i couldn't get the Yves converter to work, so i guess i dont have to wait for Hallsten's one.

I hope so ; still, if you could not get my converter to work, you may fall into the same pitfalls as Ulmont's converter is derived from mine (but it's still a great work in it's own regard, mind you!)...

Don't forget that we are here to help you and that you shouldn't be afraid to ask questions if you have problems : you did not post your problem in my thread or I would have provided informations!

Yves

I'm trying convert my save game from modificated CK game to EU3 mod but without result. Converter just recreate empty CK folder in EU3\mod folder...
log file consist just:
Code:
Crusader Kings to Europa Universalis III converter v 1.31.RUC  Save File : c:\Program Files\Paradox Interactive\Crusader.Kings-MYTH\scenarios\save games\autosave.eug ************ LOADING FILE ************
I realy don't know whats wrong, beacuse with another converter it was converted with wrong name of kingdom, but it was converted.
Now I have just empty folder. :(

Last edited:
jackb said:
I'm trying convert my save game from modificated CK game to EU3 mod but without result. Converter just recreate empty CK folder in EU3\mod folder...
log file consist just:
Code:
Now I have just empty folder.  :([/QUOTE]A few things.

1) This converter should output a CK_Converted.eu3 file in your EU3 save game folder, not a set of mod files.  Have you looked at the save game folder?
2) There should be a .log file in the converter directory.  Can you post its contents?
3) Can you rar or zip your save file and send it via email to ulvester AT yahoo DOT com, or upload it somewhere?

jackb said:
now I get "normal" log file
That's not normal. It's freezing somewhere early in the process and not printing out an error, it looks like, which is odd. I'll play with your save game later tonight and see what the error is. It should be fine to convert earlier; I've been testing with an 1194 file.

jackb said:
this morning I got log files consit just: "LOADING FILE", so I wrote "normal".
I hope that it will works.
thx
Well, the problem is this...the setting for merging countries are resulting in more individual countries (206) than tags to use for individual countries (156). I'm working on a fix to automatically merge more countries when there aren't enough tags now.

ulmont said:
What CK mod are you using...I see country tag U000 is in use?
it's my own "Slovak micro mod", it should be somewhere in forum...
County of Nitra (or how it's spelled in CK) is replaced to Principality of Slovakia and Kingdom of Slovakia is added with tag U000.
ulmont said:
This is going to take a little while, since your save game has some other odd features.
ok, I hope that it's going to work
ulmont said:
Well, the problem is this...the setting for merging countries are resulting in more individual countries (206) than tags to use for individual countries (156). I'm working on a fix to automatically merge more countries when there aren't enough tags now.
sound's good. Merge of small counties in area of Germany or France can make game faster.
I used to have "bug countie" there. It use tag U019 and it's generated by game...