• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
SeleucidRex said:
nice update! poor Lössner seriously goes from frying pan to fire :rofl: .
I think this qualifies as somewhat worse than the fire. ;)

Thrilling update, looking forward to seeing the political ramifications unfold.

Very nicely done.....and the best part is the SD is left holding nothing because the Abwehr did it all....hahaha...Canaris is crazy as a fox with this one...

KLorberau

Kurt_Steiner - Indeed. They're not all that incompetent when on their game and Hitler listens to Canaris' suggestions.

Commander-DK - Thanks! That will soon become evident.

SeleucidRex - He really does, but as Dublish says, he may be wishing that he were in a fire at this point.

Ironhewer - Glad you liked it!

dublish - Thank you! And unfold they will.

KLorberau - Yes, Canaris is a sly one ;)

Next installment today (at least for me).

Chapter I: Part XII

Chapter I: The Hammerblow

Part XII

January 16, 1936

The marble floors of the Reichschancellery resounded under the footsteps of the Führer’s entourage as it slowly wound its way to the State Chamber. The Führer was in a good mood, it seemed to those with him, chatting amiably with his aides and adjutants. Christoph Scholl walked with the entourage, taking in the stately architecture of the Bismarck-era building. There was talk amongst the staff that construction would soon begin for a new Chancellery -- on a far grander scale than the old.

Scholl had again been called to serve as Military Adjutant to the Führer, as Friedrich Hossbach remained unwell. The Führer had convoked a Special Court to try the fallen General Staff chief, Ludwig Beck. He had hand-picked the panel that would hear the case -- not a trained jurist was amongst them. Perhaps this was well, von Fritsch had said, because it spared Beck the wrath of the Volksgerichtshof -- the People’s Court -- and its demonic new president Roland Freisler.

The Special Court was to be headed by War Minister von Blomberg. von Blomberg would be joined by Generals Göring and von Rundstedt and Admiral Erich Raeder on behalf of the Armed Forces. Reichsführer-SS Heinrich Himmler, Franconia Gauleiter Julius Streicher and ideologue-at-large Alfred Rosenberg would sit on the court on behalf of the State and Party. It was to be a court of honor and inquiry rather than law, and by decree of the Führer, witnesses or evidence would not be brought to bear for either side.

Just before reaching the threshold, the Führer detached from his entourage to wait in his private room behind the chamber. An SS honor guard stood at the doors to the State Chamber. The great doors were soon opened, and Scholl and the others took their seats. It was a large room, but only the first few rows of seats were filled, as the trial was only to be observed by a select group of party functionaries, military officers and cabinet members.

lbt.jpg

Those attending the Special Court trial of General Beck. Rudolf Hess (front right) sulked through the proceedings at not having been appointed to the Court.

Scholl saw that the panel of seven was already seated behind a long table. At a smaller table facing them sat a colonel whom Scholl had not seen before. Next to him was the empty wooden chair in which the defendant would sit during the trial.

In several minutes, an SS officer bounded into the chamber and whispered something to Field Marshal von Blomberg. von Blomberg nodded, and the officer scurried out of the room. With a great rumble, the doors were thrown upon as a second SS officer called forth General Ludwig Beck, and recited for the court the charges against him: “High treason against the German Nation, as well as high treason against the person of the Führer consisting in the failure to report his knowledge of a plot against the life of the Führer and his person.”

Beck, in his full dress uniform, was led down the aisle by two guards. He was not shackled. When he had reached his seat, one of the guards signaled to a comrade at the back of the chamber. This man opened a small door, and Adolf Hitler entered. As one, those present surged to their feet. “Heil!”

The Führer took a seat on the dais above and behind the panel. von Blomberg rose. “The Special Court has now convened. Does the accused understand the charges brought against him?” The two men were friends, and Scholl sensed the strain that this formality placed upon them.

Beck stood. “I do, Field Marshal.”

“How do you answer them?”

“My honor as an officer compels me to answer that I was aware of this plot.” A murmur raced through the chamber. When it had died down, von Blomberg continued.

“Oberst Weiden has been appointed by the Special Court to see to your defense. Do you wish to let him speak on your behalf?”

“I will speak on my own behalf, Field Marshal.” From the looks of it, Scholl saw, Beck had never before laid eyes upon his attorney -- who upon hearing this immediately seemed to lose all interest in the case.

“Do you,” von Blomberg began, but was nudged by Streicher. The two conferred silently for a moment. “Do you recall being contacted by the organization known as the Reinickendorf Circle?”

“Yes, Field Marshal. But I only learned of it by that name after I was arrested.”

Streicher leapt to his feet. “Do you mean to tell the us, Herr Beck, that you were unaware of the group’s name?”

Beck smarted at Streicher’s sneering tone, but addressed his calm reply to the War Minister. “Field Marshal, I was unaware of the group’s name.”

Streicher was furious. “Do not lie to this court and your Führer! Tell us whether you knew the name!”

Beck looked at von Blomberg throughout his reply. “No. I did not know the name, Field Marshal.”

von Rundstedt and Raeder looked pleased at Streicher’s discomfiture. Himmler eyed Beck with distate. Rosenberg scribbled notes. Göring fiddled with the buttons of his uniform.

Streicher drew himself up to badger his prey a third time, but von Rundstedt shot to his feet and intervened. “General Beck, what did you do after learning of this plot?”

Beck paused before answering. “I replied that I had no interest in acting against the Führer, General.”

Before von Rundstedt could continue, Streicher was upon Beck again. “Then why, Herr Beck, did you not report this information?”

Again Beck hesitated. “I did not reply because I did not believe that the plotters could act against the Führer. When they contacted me, they asked the Army’s help in staging a putsch. I was never aware of the plot that they went on to carry out… Field Marshal.”

von Blomberg nodded his satisfaction, but Streicher bristled. Next, Rosenberg rose to ask a question of the defendant. “Given the gravity of your crime against the Reich and Führer, what sentence do you think is fitting for yourself?”

There was a lengthy pause. The other members of the Special Court were clearly much taken aback by this question. Scholl saw Goebbels in the front row, leaning to Interior Minister Frick and whispering what seemed to be a snide remark. At length, Beck spoke, clearly and proudly: “I am aware that I have acted wrongly in this matter. At the same time, I give my word of honor that I intended no harm to come to the Führer through my silence, nor did I harbor treasonous thoughts against Führer or Nation. I will resign as Chief of the General Staff, and from the Army as well if the Führer himself so wishes.” With that, he sat down.

The chamber instantly burst into chatter. Rosenberg still stood standing, seemingly unsure of what to do next. von Blomberg called for silence. When the chamber was again attentive, he turned to his colleagues on the Special Court. “Will you accept the sentence proposed by General Beck?” He pointed to each man in turn. “General Göring?”

The Luftwaffe chief had been adjusting his medals. “No, I do not.”

“General von Rundstedt?”

“I do.”

“Admiral Raeder?”

“I do.”

“Herr Streicher?”

The Gauleiter fumed. “No!”

“Reichsführer Himmler?”

The SS head deliberated for a moment. “No, I do not.”

“Herr Rosenberg?”

“I believe that General Beck has answered honorably today. If the sentence is satisfactory to the Führer, it is satisfactory to me.”

von Blomberg tallied the results. “Three to three. As president of the Special Court, I agree to the sentence suggested by General Beck.”

Scholl saw Hitler nodding approval from the dais. He stepped down, and quickly shook the hand of a stunned Beck. Without another word, he slipped out of the chamber.

At this, the members of the court rose to their feet, some shouting openly at Rosenberg. Reaction in the chamber clearly fell sharply along political lines. The officers, with the exception of Göring, unanimously rose to their feet in salute of Beck. The Party officials and nonmilitary functionaries were uniformly outraged. Scholl himself felt little pathos one way or the other. One point could not escape his notice, however: the Officer Corps had closed ranks around its own.

Last edited:
...and Hitler seemed pleased by the solution... interesting. He seems in good mood, and with no intention to go further in his reprisals...

Excellent update.

Most interesting that Hitler approved of Beck's "sentence." Perhaps it is that Hitler needs the Army's support?

And this Herr Scholl, perhaps related to Sophie Scholl of the White Rose?

It could also mean that this isn't over yet. Hitler might still find himself blown to pieces someday.

hmm, unexpected. hitler does seem be in an unusually forgiving mood. maybe it's the lack of strychnine in his system ;)

Very unexpected reaction from Hitler. With such uniform opposition to Nazi dominance among the officer corps, I wonder if he may be contemplating a Great Purge of his own... something like that would be characteristic of post-1942 Hitler, so I expect nothing so drastic. Perhaps sparing Beck was a concession to solidify support for the Belgium operation?

Have you mentioned the new Chief of Staff yet?

Kurt_Steiner, SeleucidRex - He does indeed seem to be in a suspiciously good mood. Dr. Morell's demise is no doubt a strongly contributory factor.

Commander-DK - For you and for everyone present! Alfred Rosenberg can really be a wild card sometimes.

trekaddict - Only Time (or more accurately me, as Time's plenipotentiary agent) will tell ;)

Ironhewer - Thanks! More will come to light about Hitler's motives, but your guess is quite a fair one. As to a Sophie Scholl connection, I can give a fairly direct answer... Sophie Scholl is fourteen right now, and hails from Baden-Württemberg. Cristoph Scholl's family has been in Brandenburg since the 17th Century. Any possible relation between them would be extraordinarily remote.

dublish - More fair and educated guesses as usual, sir! The answer will soon become apparent. No announcement has yet been made as to who or what will succeed General Beck.

Next installment in the wee hours of the morning for me (in 6 hours or so for everyone)!

Edit: Due to internet problems on my normal computer, the posting of the next installment must be delayed by about a day. Many apologies.

Last edited:
I likie.

Request: Kill the fat drug-addled failed mind in the room. The one who was fiddling with his buttons.

He makes me sick, and seeing him lose his position would make me happy no end. =D

Striker475 said:
I likie.

Request: Kill the fat drug-addled failed mind in the room. The one who was fiddling with his buttons.

He makes me sick, and seeing him lose his position would make me happy no end. =D

The Luftwaffe would probably like it aswell.

Hmm . . . if the assassination attempt at the Olympics misses Hitler but gets Goering . . . having someone competant in charge of the Luftwaffe could make things difficult for the Allies, no?

Chapter I: Part XIII

Chapter I: The Hammerblow

Part XIII

January 17, 1936

At his office at Abwehr Headquarters in Berlin, Victor Reinert chomped bitterly on a cigarette. Five days earlier at the Hotel Alexander, he had ordered his agents into action after the Belgians had already entered the lobby. He had then been consigned to watching helplessly from a window as Operation Chopin was carried out inside. After an interminable span peering out the window, he saw several squads of Cantonal Police arrive and surround the hotel. Canaris had put discreet word through to the Swiss government that Lössner was already in the country -- ensuring the prompt and forceful response. After a short while, the police emerged, having arrested Lössner and the two Belgians as planned. No sooner had Reinert rapped his fist on the window pane in triumph than a fourth man was led out of the Hotel Alexander in handcuffs.

It was one of Reinert’s own men, Walther Neumann. Neumann was only twenty-six -- the youngest member of the Abwehr team in Sankt Gallen -- and had been one of three men tasked with planting the documents and incriminating material.

Reinert spoke later to witnesses in the lobby and deduced what had happened -- Neumann had failed to plant all of the material in time, and was searched and arrested when the police stormed the hotel. Reinert reproached himself heavily for not ordering his own agents into action before calling the police. The error had landed Neumann in a Swiss prison with no way to extricate him without uncovering Operation Chopin.

Canaris had ordered the Abwehr team back to Berlin, where they had waited through the next days hoping for some word of Neumann’s fate. If only I hadn’t telephoned the police first.

There was a knock the office door. Reinert could make out Canaris’ distinctive outline through the frosted glass. “Come in.”

Canaris entered. He was a small man, slightly built, with hair of an indeterminate color. He was soft-spoken and nervous by disposition, and many Abwehr jokes revolved around Canaris’ slight lisp. He was hardly the picture of a spymaster, but the contrast endeared him to his men, Reinert among them.

canaris2.jpg

Admiral Wilhelm Canaris, staff photo.

Reinert beckoned Canaris to sit. “I want to congratulate you, Victor. You did a fine job, and should not regret what happened to Walther.”

Canaris had already congratulated Reinert, who knew the admiral well enough to know that he was leading up to something.

“Hitler just cabled, insisting that we make no moves that might compromise the operation.”

“You mean just leave Neumann?” Reinert threw the soggy unlit cigarette into the waste bin.

“I’m sorry, Victor. You know that that wouldn’t have been my choice.”

“What is going to happen to the four of them?”

“Hitler specified that as well. von Neurath has just secured their extradition to Germany for trial.”

“Show trial,” Reinert corrected.

“Fair enough. After the show trial, the ‘conspirators’ will be executed.”

“But Neumann’s cover --”

“Neumann’s cover is flimsy enough. We are lucky as it is that no one seems to have seen through it and deduced the whole charade -- to our ruin.”

Reinert stared at his paperweight for some time. “May I propose something?”

“Go ahead.”

“I would like to organize a special operation to fake Neumann’s execution.”

“It would go directly against Hitler’s orders, so if you fail it will be both our heads. Nonetheless, I will support you if you can do it. Have detailed plans on my desk tomorrow morning.”

“Thank you, Admiral.”

Canaris nodded and started for the door. He turned. “Victor?”

“Admiral?”

“I do want you to succeed, you know.”

“I know.”

“And Victor?”

“Yes?”

“If you do this, we’ll have an agent who is legally dead. I expect you to draw up plans that can exploit that fact.”

“I will, Admiral.”

Canaris walked quickly out of the office and closed the door. Reinert smiled despite himself. He would have a chance at redemption.

Last edited:
What is Canaris up to... So it seems that Lössner is going to dance his last waltz... And the Belgian boys... mmmh... What is Canaris up to...

Wait . . . how can Belgian diplomats just be extradited like that? Wouldn't the Belgians at least lodge a protest against that and slow it down or are the men kites, to be cut loose when the situation requires it.

Striker475 - Thanks! Your dislike of Goering has been noted, but only time will tell what becomes of him :p .

Ironhewer (1) - A fair point!

trekaddict - They would. And remember -- 1936 Goering is not even nearly as drug-addled and repulsive as, say, 1944 Goering.

Kurt_Steiner - Canaris is a sly one ;)

Ironhewer (2) - Since it's not really addressed later I'll explain. Konstantin von Neurath pressured the Swiss to extradite the two Belgians to Germany on grounds of the clear probability of guilt implied by the meticulously forged planted documents. Belgium protested, but when it saw the weight of evidence against their men, many in the government were actually convinced that Arcadeldt and Kastner had been acting as rogue agents. In the interests of making nice with Germany, they halted further protests, and the Swiss caved to von Neurath.

Last edited:
Intriguing. I foresee Reinart and Neumann being involved in quite a few high-stakes behind-the-scenes operations. How well will the invasion of Belgium run if they're treating the diplomats as rogue agents?