• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
phargle has reminded us to spread the word about voting in the AARland Choice Awards!

vote2.jpg

No matter what you vote for, your participation helps AARland grow and thrive.

If you're considering voting for Weltkriegschaft, it is eligible for the Narrative HoI1/2 category. Remember to make your decision based upon updates for the quarter in question (January 1 - March 31 of 2009). For Weltkriegschaft that is III:XI - III:XIX.

Thank you to all who have already voted, and for those who have not, I encourage you to head on over when you get the chance.​

Thank you to all who have already voted, and for those who have not, I encourage you to head on over when you get the chance.​

You're welcome. This is either the first or second time I've ever voted in the ACA, I think.

I take my right to not give a damn very seriously. :)

EDIT: I've gotten medals from you, so I suppose I should act like it.

EDIT2:
phargle said:
3. Actively campaigning for AARs isn't really in the spirit of AARland. It poisons the process and threatens the ACA. It's cool (very cool) to remind people about the ACA. It's cool to ask them to consider your AAR in a public post in your AAR, and it's cool to say what category you hope to win. Beyond that, it kinda stops being cool. Let's all be cool, like a forum of little Fonzies here.
:eek:o

EDIT3: I suppose if actively campaigning is wrong, I can still remind everyone to vote. Here goes...

Everyone reading this should vote in the ACA Round 1! It's really easy. Just go to the [thread=399360]ACA Thread[/thread] and post your choices. Hypothetically (and I can't stress hypothetically enough here), you might hypothetically type the following into your hypothetical post:

Code:
Favorite Narrative AAR, HOI - [thread=345133]Weltkriegschaft[/thread], TheHyphenated1

Hypothetically, this will constitute your vote.

So go vote!

Not hypothetically!

Last edited:
Chapter III: Part XXII

Chapter III: The Lion’s Den

Part XXII

October 9, 1936

“We have just received word that forty minutes ago, the brief hostilities in the sovereign Netherlands came to an end. In the historic City Hall in the Hague, representatives of the elected government of the Netherlands signed an armistice recognizing the necessity of a purely defensive occupation by German forces until the end of hostilities with Great Britain. Prime Minister Colijn signed at ten this morning the armistice document, which was signed for Germany by Head War Command Chief of Operations Field Marshal von Küchler on behalf of the Führer. Reichsminister Joseph Goebbels will now deliver a statement.” Albert Block, chief deputy to State Secretary Walther Funk and sometime propaganda spokesman, stepped down from the podium to the brilliant flicker of flashbulbs.

Foreign journalists from a dozen nations filled the main hall of the Ordenspalais at Wilhelmplatz 8/9 in Berlin. The headquarters of the Reich Ministry for Propaganda and Popular Enlightenment, the Ordenspalais hosted these men for the daily press conferences given by Goebbels or his minions. Ernst Trommler rarely had occasion to attend, but had been invited along with over-editor Lorenz Sassen to observe what promised to be an extraordinary Reich Special Press Conference.

ACABu.jpg

The Ordenspalais, headquarters of the Reich Ministry for Propaganda and Popular Englightenment.

They now saw the familiar figure of Reichsminister Goebbels, exchanging a few words with Funk -- his chief press officer -- before taking to the podium. At last, Hitler’s Propaganda Minister stood in the renewed dazzle of flashbulbs, ready to give the government’s official interpretation of the newly-ended war.

“Three hundred and eighty-one hours ago,” Goebbels said, dampening the hubbub of the assembled journalists, “the Queen of the Netherlands rejected Germany’s final demand that she not drag her country into alliance with Great Britain. In refusing that demand, she was declaring her decision to ally herself with Stanley Baldwin’s government, and to make her nation available to his admitted efforts to invade Germany before the end of the year.

This is, naturally, something which Germany had no choice but to prevent in this time of war. Nonetheless, it was the Führer Adolf Hitler’s ardent wish that all care be taken to lessen the inevitable suffering of the Dutch people. All efforts were made in the opening hours of the war to spare civilian targets bombing by our Air Force. Attempts were made to ensure the peaceful occupation of cities and towns of historic and cultural value.

This was done even in the face of the very British invasion which we had foreseen. In addition to what we believe was as much as two full British infantry divisions which we destroyed, we also destroyed a confirmed 41 British combat aircraft over Holland. The whole of the country was occupied with great swiftness and force, with miminum unnecessary casualties inflicted upon those Dutch units which ceased resistance. It is true that some units have illegally fled across the sea to England, but I can say that the majority of the Royal Netherlands Army is now being processed as prisoners and will be freed as soon as this is reasonable to do.

Blame for the unfortunate events of the last two weeks rests solely with one person: the Queen of the Netherlands. The Queen defied the constitution enacted by the will of her people. Her hatred for Germany was so great that she was willing to trample the laws of her country. It must be recorded by history that she refused to even acknowledge the urgent German pleas to avert war. Indeed Germany successfully kept the Netherlands out of the last war and wished bitterly to do so again. Yet when the threat of British occupation became imminent, including acts of war, sabotage and assassination, it became of utmost importance to protect Germany’s neighbor. The murder of the Kaiser -- an old man living in a neutral country -- by British intelligence services was a final transgression. And so when we delivered our final message to the Netherlands government, we were dismayed that the pro-war and pro-British faction that had grown up around the Queen refused to listen to reason.

Yet it soon became apparent that war against Germany was not the will of the Dutch people. When the Queen continued to call for continuance of the war, even over the objections of her government, a new and legitimate government was formed with the intention of making peace. With the Queen and most of her family now in London, it is our view that they are no longer significant to the war, and that the peace concluded today is binding and valid. That is, we no longer see ourselves as at war with the Netherlands.

Again we call to our implacable enemy to reconsider his determination to continue the war against all reason. Germany has demonstrated again and again its determination to resist British imperialism in Europe. As long as Great Britain makes war against the peoples of Europe, we will maintain our resistance, until the Final Victory has been achieved.”

Again the thump and flash from the cameras filled the front of the hall. Trommler saw the foreign journalists jostling to ask the first question.

“I will be taking your questions personally today. First the Notizie di Roma.”

A familiar-looking Italian newspaper reporter stepped forward. “Herr Reichsminister, what are the German government’s intentions about the Princess Juliana, whom we have heard was captured trying to flee Amsterdam?”

“We have no intention of keeping her hostage. Following her mother’s break with the Netherlands government, we do not consider her anything other than a young woman who is a civilian. If she wishes to leave the Netherlands and join the rest of her family, we will arrange this through a neutral country. Next, La Vigilia.”

The most junior member of the international press corps in Berlin stepped forward on behalf of a new far-right newspaper in Spain. “Reichsminister, what can you tell the world about German policy with regard to Spain? Is there not also danger of Britain violating Spanish neutrality?

“Germany remains sympathic to the struggle of the Nacionales, but intelligence about British intentions with regard to Spain, Portugal and Gibraltar is secret. At this time there is no further news that I can give that has not already been announced.”

Goebbels proceeded to call on representatives of the Austrian, Czech, Swedish, Danish and Norwegian press. They received confident, even boastful answers about the destruction of the Grebbe Line, the status of the Belgian population, the security of major dikes in Holland, the activities of the Admiral Graf Spee and the results of a recent British air raid on Paris.

“In conclusion,” the Propaganda Minister said, answering an Associated Press reporter with a snowy white beard, “our aims are simple. We are continuing bombing raids against Britain, and providing all possible assistance to our Italian allies to defeat Britain in North Africa. Following recent French mass surrenders, most of Algeria is in Italian hands, with the holdout forces massing for a last stand in Tunisia. In Egypt, the English are backed nearly to the gates of Cairo by the recent Italian offensive. We intend to press on and take the Suez Canal within the month and afterwards drive on into Palestine. With its most vital sea artery cut, Great Britain will be forced to sue for peace. That will be all for today.”

“Herr Reichsminister,” called one of the reporters for the American NBC. “Herr Reichsminister, I believe was assigned a question.”

Trommler and Sassen both craned their necks but couldn’t make out anything but the man’s fedora. His German was quite acceptable.

“Herr Reichsminister!”

Goebbels stood poised at the podium, indecision playing across his angular face. He dipped for a moment, as though making to ignore the American and step down, but hesitated and pulled himself forward again. “Yes?”

“You stated that the peace accord with the Netherlands was based on total military victory, and that Germany now has everything that it hoped to achieve from the war. You described the campaign as “planmässig” -- according to plan -- yet by your own timetable, it lasted nearly twice as long as predicted by the General Staff. If these setbacks are so insignificant, why is it that the no provision has been made for occupation of the Dutch East Indies, which was one of the stated goals at the outset of the invasion?”

Trommler saw Propaganda Minister’s face sour slightly. “The timetable referred to was merely a guideline for planning purposes. The advance had to be slowed repeatedly for the sake of ensuring the welfare of the civilian population. This adjustment of our timetable had no effect whatsoever on our decision not to demand to occupy the colonies. The principal concern there is petroleum, and we can get it more cheaply than by shipping it over vast expanses of hostile ocean. Thank you.”

Rattled, Goebbels stepped down, and Block assumed the podium and declared the press conference at an end. Trommler could see that the German attendees were stirring to see which audacious American had asked the question. Sassen slipped into the crowd, telling Trommler that he was going to find out.

To Trommler, though, the result was clear -- and would resound in the international press. The Third Reich now controlled the unbroken shoreline from Bayonne at the foot of the Pyrenees all the way to the Danish border. Despite a rapid British answer to desperate Dutch pleas for assistance -- one which most in Germany did not believe would come at all -- the Netherlands had been overrun with comparatively minor losses. The Anglo-French alliance, with French resolve evaporating in the Mediterranean, had been dealt yet another stinging blow. What little of the Royal Netherlands Army that could be evacuated to Britain pledged to continue the struggle on the side of the Allies, but the aid would now be far more moral than material. The Dutch navy, for its part, was now divided between the Channel Ports and the Indies. Even if it protected the latter against German influence, it would clearly play no significant role in European waters. Germany, as Goebbels had assured the Danish journalist, was now free to devote itself to preventing a British invasion in 1937.

“Trommler,” said Sassen, returning with a hardened jaw. “That was the man Wilhelm Weiss warned us about -- I didn’t know that he was in Berlin. That was Robert Trout.”

Last edited:
An amusing bit of spin by the Propaganda Ministry there.
With Britain's continental allies falling away can an invasion of the British Isles be far away?
Nice to see Trout in a cameo. Or is it a cameo? Could we be seeing more of him?
Great update as always.

Been a while since Trout was mentioned. Shouldn't the Germans be working on a way to get him into a car accident?

Marvelous piece. Wonder what Trout is up to? Cooperation with that coup circle perhaps? Or just one of those bold independent reporters that mainly want to stab an eye into everyone. Confusing indeed.

Now that the Continent has been pacified, it seems that the action is in Africa. And, amazingly, the Italians are managing to advance. Forward, this time. :D

Hard times for the Resistance against the victorious Führer...

And there be peace, but after the war has been won.
So how many divisions does Germany have now?
And Britain?
I forgot that Kaiser was murdered in my previous comment, I just read too many aars to remember everything. :eek:o

And can we have a cool map?:rolleyes:

dublish (1) - Thank you very much for the endorsement ... hypothetically, of course ;).

Hardraade - Thanks! Glad to see that you found the spin amusing. Determining whether Goebbels is massaging the truth (deep tissue, at the very least) is sort of like the big E on an eye chart. As to an invasion - it has not left the thoughts of the planners all summer and now into the autumn. Trout was mentioned in III:II, which was a long time ago, so in a sense this is his first "on-stage" cameo. Nonetheless, we can expect to hear quite a bit more from him than a mere cameo in the future...

dublish (2) - ... unless, that is (finishing the reply to Hardraade) he happens to have his brakes fail. You never know ;).

Slaughts - Thank you very much! Working with the Reinickendorf Circle would be pretty doubtful, I think, simply because it is now so small and so far underground. That said, a look at his OTL career and persona means that he certainly has what it takes to be the Shirer-if-there-wasn't-Shirer -- and in some senses better. More on that later in Chapter III.

Kurt_Steiner - The Italians are indeed gaining ground overall. But considering that their local numerical advantage is often about 5:1, as far as HKK is concerned, they are underperforming.

Enewald - I'm not at the computer with access to the game files right now, but remind me to get back to you. Somewhere in the high 30s or low 40s, I should think. Britain has a generally comparable number, but most of them are somewhere in North Africa, East Africa, the rest of Africa or India. Basically everywhere except the British Isles, where German intelligence places 5-7 regular army divisions. A map will be forthcoming soon!

darthkommandant - Yes, as much as I try to conceal that fact :p. In all seriousness, though, events in the AAR map quite closely (as closely as the game engine allows) to the events in the game, and a clever interpretation of scenes in the AAR can actually shed quite a bit of light on what's happening in-engine.

You are then probably closer to the game than I am. For the most part the only pieces that are really related to the game are the Battlescenes and a few select incidents.

A bonus picture (and a hint at an upcoming update): Torpedoboot Luchs plies the waters of the Channel near Cherbourg, hunting for the British armed trawlers that regularly sweep the area.

ALUCHS.jpg

Magnificent update!

There's such a power in propaganda now isn't there?! As for the French dissolving in the Med., who couldn't see that coming? :p

So are there going to be marine divisions for Lowengrube? I know there is not enough time until the invasion for any attempt at building up any heavy fleet units like Scharnhorst Class Battlecruisers and Bismarck Class Battleships but I am sre there is plans for a Naval Buildup.

trekaddict - Ah. But the rest isn't really too hard to massage ;).

volksmarschall - Thank you most kindly. True enough, but Britain was certainly hoping for a little more than

darthkommandant - A naval buildup has certainly been occurring - at lightning pace, even. Because Raeder fully understands the point you observed, though, they haven't even been really trying to achieve naval parity, because it's just so obviously impossible. Right now, effort is going toward transports/barges/landing craft and minelayers. Although it will temporarily cripple merchant shipping, it is OKM's goal to have 85% of all German-flagged tonnage at the disposal of Loewengrube. That means everything from river barges and tugs all the way up through transatlantic liners, tankers, cargo ships, yachts, and everything in between. There are currently no plans to form a full division of marines. Instead, normal army divisions will be given limited additional training.

dublish (1) - Thank you very much for the endorsement ... hypothetically, of course ;).

You're quite welcome, though I'm not sure it did any good. I think I may have put to much emphasis on the hypothetical nature of my post. :eek:o

Let's try again.

ANYBODY WHO READS THIS SHOULD GO VOTE!

Second bonus picture: The second-ever issue of Henry Luce's groundbreaking new photojournalism magazine LIFE:

31may40.jpg

Another great update.....so the Fuhrer now commands all of western Europe but years earlier than historically? Impressive. .....

Nice to see that rat-boy Goebbels get rattled by Trout.....by the way, I have forgotten or just dont plain know............who the hell is Trout???

KLorberau

One wonders....

What Stalin must think of Western Europe united under a single anti-communist Warlord?

How the central Euro nations are viewing this almost meteoric rise by Germany?

What is the US government doing during all of this?

Will Japan march to take all those poor unguarded colonies, now left without overlords?

Yes... One wonders.

KLorberau - Thank you! Pretty much, but the 1940-level conquests in the west can be deceptive. Germany is missing three years of annexations and conquests in the east, and so she is industrially quite a bit weaker and more vulnerable than OTL 1940. Robert Trout was a newsman who in OTL is most famous for announcing the end of the war in 1945. Known for his intrepidity, unflappability and intelligence.

frigidmagi - Distressed. He no doubt sees active hostilities against Germany as a welcome impetus to modernize and purge his own military. With great trepidation. So far, the fighting has kept central europe scared and out of Britain's camp. The allies, of course, would just love for the checks to plunge their little dagger right into the heart of Germany. The US government is looking on with great alarm, but prevailing sentiment still Generally holds that Britain can handle this by itself. Japan you say? I'm sure they'll stir up some trouble soon ;).