+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 96 FirstFirst ... 23 38 46 47 48 49 50 58 73 ... LastLast

Thread: Weltkriegschaft

Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryHeir to the ThroneMarch of the EaglesVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlantic Friend
    Hmm...apples and oranges ?
    I actually had a brain fart, and thought the Abwehr was the name for the German high command.
    I am therefore officially rooting for a Franco-German strike on Russia, prompting the Soviets to strike back with their hitherto secret nukes. This will serve as a salutary lesson to all involved and leave everyone suitably chastened.-El Pip

Great War: The American Front: Can the United States defeat Britain and its Confederate Lackeys? Or will the CSA defend its freedom against the Yankee Menace?

Lord of Slower-than-real-time El Pip's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyDeus VultHearts of Iron IIISemper FiSword of the Stars

Rhine Barges?! It's even worse than I thought, I assumed the delay till 1937 would give Germany enough time to build a proper landing fleet and supply train. A small malformed one perhaps, given they have bugger all experience in the matter of amphibious assault it's inevitable they'll get the details wrong, but certainly something purpose built.

If they go with Rhine Barges those things can be knocked over by a strong breeze, anything above Sea State 4(ish) and the Channel will kill all the Germans before the Royal Navy even has chance to fire a shot. Which would be quite amusing in a very black and macabre way.
    The Butterfly Effect: A British AAR - The finest and most spectacularly slower-than-real-time British AAR on the board. Updated 11th February 2014 featuring Soviet prop shafts, begging Italian admirals and spicy Royal Netherlands Navy indecision.

Inevitable Defeat - Slovakia '44 - The award winning characters Tiso and Tuka attempt to save Slovakia from defeat and destruction. It probably wont end well. It definitely did win an AARland Choice Comedy Award. Updated 16th September 2013. Voting is still technically ongoing in the 'Which Malar' mystery, but it has been for quite some time.

Furious Vengeance - A 1944 UK AAR - My actual best work - Winner of the 2009 Iron HeAARt Award

The other works

Faeelin - Not to worry! We all do that sometimes... Just ask the other readers about the time I accidentally captioned a picture "Her Majesty's Most Loyal Opposition" in 1936 .

El Pip - This being 1936 even the British barely have anything suitable. The Germans are more behind still. At present, invasion planning documents only make vague references to barges -- which if carried out as such would basically amount to a reverse Dunkirk. That is, rounding up just about anything that will float and trying to put troops on shore that way. Which relies on no opposition to the crossing and basically a swimming pool sea state . Actually RMA Sandhurst's several recreations of this scenario over the years found that even the wakes of passing German destroyers would be enough to swamp some of the barges that were marshaled for the invasion in OTL.
    Weltkriegschaft
    The Alternate History of the Third Reich

HoI1/2/3 Favorite Narrative AAR: Q1 2008 & Q3 2008 & Q2 2009, Best Character Writer of the Week: 18/5/08 & 10/11/08
    Weekly AAR Showcase: 12/10/08, WritAAR of the Week: 05/08/08,
    Canonized on 08-06-08

Pantomacatalasecesionanis ta

Blog Entries
    As somebody told me once: the Channel is a bitch body of sea to cross.

Barges... my gosh. I have, by the way, a brand new ship, big, fast, quite capable of carrying a lot of ships. Tell Adolf that I can buy her to him, quite cheap. Her name? Titanic.
    Fan número uno de Ailee para el resto de la eternidad y un poco más.
    "Pequeño Padawan Kurtizacoal, por qué me has salido tan cabrón?" - me dijo mi Maestro.
    Palo Dixit: posible Anticristo, vacalentacialanonanista, Culé y Salido que provoca manifas por donde pasa.
    Palo Dixit redux: Escatológico bipolar

AARs en curso o acabados -Ongoing and finished HoI2 AARs-
    WritAAR of the Week:16-03-07/5-04-09/13-09-09/19-09-10/28-10-11 - Fan of the week 25-03-07/29-10-07/06-04-08/29-12-08/13-09-09 - Canonized 02-12-07 - Best Character WritAAR of the Week:03-04-09- Showcased 01-05-2010/10-12-2010 - Mi blog: Confesiones clandestinas: El baile del hombrepanda [Actualizado 11/04/2014]

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyDarkest HourHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_Steiner
    As somebody told me once: the Channel is a bitch body of sea to cross.

Barges... my gosh. I have, by the way, a brand new ship, big, fast, quite capable of carrying a lot of ships. Tell Adolf that I can buy her to him, quite cheap. Her name? Titanic.

How dare you? She was a failure, true, but still one of Britannia's engineering marvels. One does not sell those to the boche.
    "That's right, Adolf. The British are coming." - The Eleventh Doctor
    "My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
    Against all Odds: The British Empire in World War Two (ongoing) Last updated 03/22/14 Index - Index 2 - Index 3 - Knowledgebase -
    Inkwell Entry - Now with added obscure Doctor Who references - Visit the Dictionary!

Possibly the world's most British German as awarded by El Pip here.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trekaddict
    How dare you? She was a failure, true, but still one of Britannia's engineering marvels. One does not sell those to the boche.
    Ok, ok, then the Andrea Doria will suit fine, methinks.
    "Pequeño Padawan Kurtizacoal, por qué me has salido tan cabrón?" - me dijo mi Maestro.
    Palo Dixit: posible Anticristo, vacalentacialanonanista, Culé y Salido que provoca manifas por donde pasa.

WritAAR of the Week:16-03-07/5-04-09/13-09-09/19-09-10/28-10-11 - Fan of the week 25-03-07/29-10-07/06-04-08/29-12-08/13-09-09 - Canonized 02-12-07 - Best Character WritAAR of the Week:03-04-09- Showcased 01-05-2010/10-12-2010 - Mi blog: Confesiones clandestinas: El baile del hombrepanda [Actualizado 11/04/2014]

RPM Imterm Air Guru darthkommandant's Avatar
    Arsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourNaval War: Arctic Circle
    Supreme Ruler: Cold War

Blog Entries
    I thought andrea doria was built after the war.
    Anyway a naval invasion is going to have to wait until the kreigsmarine is more built up. (What build scheme are you using anyway? Historical(BC's and BB's with subs), Cruizerg,BB,Carriers, subs?)
    The EastAARn Front Ger 41 TRP AAR Can I beat the Bear? Maybe not but well find out.
    (&) Scharfschützenabzeichen Awarded by TheHyphenated1 for meritorious conduct in Weltkreigschaft

Kurt_Steiner (1) - Someone, manufacture a Pykrete iceberg, quick!

trekaddict - Not to worry, she's safely at the bottom of the sea .

Kurt_Steiner (2) - Or the Mary Rose...

darthkommandant - They're focusing on transports at the moment. As Raeder concedes, large warships are taking a back seat to things that can be helpful in time for the invasion. In terms of battleships, the closest we are to one is that one hull has been ordered, but the war has delayed a keel-laying or any actual construction.
    Weltkriegschaft

HoI1/2/3 Favorite Narrative AAR: Q1 2008 & Q3 2008 & Q2 2009, Best Character Writer of the Week: 18/5/08 & 10/11/08
    Canonized on 08-06-08

"Look behind you Mr Caesar !" Atlantic Friend's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyDiplomacyHearts of Iron IIISemper Fi
    Victoria 2

At my favorite pub, swirling AAR ideas around...
    Quote Originally Posted by Faeelin
    I actually had a brain fart, and thought the Abwehr was the name for the German high command.
    I have similar brain cramps.

Come to think of it, it IS odd, though, how a system that basically produced good to very good officers could not develop a reliable instrument for military intelligence.

"Look behind you Mr Caesar !" Atlantic Friend's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyDiplomacyHearts of Iron IIISemper Fi
    Victoria 2

At my favorite pub, swirling AAR ideas around...
    Quote Originally Posted by El Pip
    Which is never a good thing for a story, constant success does sap the tension somewhat. Unless of course you aspire to be the new Tom Clancy *shudder*
    Ackpt ! Ptoo ! Uproar ! Balderdash ! For shame ! Boo ! Whistles !

Quote Originally Posted by Atlantic Friend
    Come to think of it, it IS odd, though, how a system that basically produced good to very good officers could not develop a reliable instrument for military intelligence.
    The two are fairly different, the requirements of a good tank commander or staff officer are not those of a intelligence officer.

If I were to hazard a guess I would say it was a problem of not doubting enough, the Abwehr was good at dealing what was put in front of it and could work when it had nothing to go on.

What it was very bad at was being given information, then stepping back and saying it was a plant or a pack of lies. They were very easily fooled and misled more than actual incompetence. Whether it was Operation Mincemeat or the constant Soviet use of camouflage and mis-direction I don't think German military intelligence ever really learnt to doubt what is was looking at.
    The Butterfly Effect: A British AAR - The finest and most spectacularly slower-than-real-time British AAR on the board. Updated 11th February 2014 featuring Soviet prop shafts, begging Italian admirals and spicy Royal Netherlands Navy indecision.

Inevitable Defeat - Slovakia '44 - The award winning characters Tiso and Tuka attempt to save Slovakia from defeat and destruction. It probably wont end well. It definitely did win an AARland Choice Comedy Award. Updated 16th September 2013. Voting is still technically ongoing in the 'Which Malar' mystery, but it has been for quite some time.

Furious Vengeance - A 1944 UK AAR - My actual best work - Winner of the 2009 Iron HeAARt Award

The other works

Atlantic Friend (1 & 2) - Yes. Perhaps much can be made of the conscious value that Germany placed on the cultivation of a military intelligence staff prior to and especially following the Franco-Prussian war.

El Pip - I agree. The question that follows is an interesting one. Why did the Abwehr exhibit such a startling flaw?
    Weltkriegschaft

Canonized on 08-06-08

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyDarkest HourHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis IV

I can help on that. Back then, and to a certain degree even today, Germans liked to believe what they were told, without questioning it. This was especially true with Officers of all sorts, and when you are raised like that it is hard to detect any sort of deception.
    "That's right, Adolf. The British are coming." - The Eleventh Doctor
    "My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
    Against all Odds: The British Empire in World War Two (ongoing) Last updated 03/22/14 Index - Index 2 - Index 3 - Knowledgebase -
    Inkwell Entry - Now with added obscure Doctor Who references - Visit the Dictionary!

Possibly the world's most British German as awarded by El Pip here.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3

This AAR continues to be truly fantastic. I had fallen behind, but am now caught back up and eagerly awaiting future updates.
    Return to Glory: A Germania AAR
    WritAAR of the week for the week of 6-10-07, Favorite New Writer Overall for Q2 2007, Best Character Writer of the Week 7-18-08

The Grand Duchy of Hesse-Darmstadt: A History

trekaddict - Very interesting... Surely that could be part of the explanation. Thanks for your perspective!

Hardraade - Thank you very much, and I'm extremely glad to see you around here again!
    Weltkriegschaft

Canonized on 08-06-08

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHyphenated1
    Kurt_Steiner (2) - Or the Mary Rose...
    Another fine example of Britannia's engineering marvels, indeed

Another fine example of Britannia's engineering marvels, indeed
    Jealousy will get you nowhere sir.

The other works

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDungeonlandEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossLeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the Roses
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I begun reading this 6 hours ago, and now I am finished.
    This is epic.
    One of the greatest narratives of the year 2008 on these forums!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by El Pip
    Jealousy will get you nowhere sir.
    Jealousy nowhere, but irony will lead to the most elevated places of humour, sir.

I admit, however, that the Hood was better than the Mary Rose and the Titanic together.

I admit, however, that the Hood was better than the Mary Rose and the Titanic together.
    I counter with a suitable Spanish failure, alas Spanish industry never progressed beyond new and inventive ways to be cruel to animals.

The other works

+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 96 FirstFirst ... 23 38 46 47 48 49 50 58 73 ... LastLast