• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Great Invasion of Great Britain has begun. This is truly epic with a Sealion happening so early.

I assume the Kreigsmarine will not be going head to head with the Royal Navy though, correct?

TheHyphenated1 said:
trekaddict - :eek:o Sorry. My browser crashed and I reloaded from a clipboarded version that I didn't notice was missing the completion of that sentence.

It should read:

If only, if only... As it is, Admiral Chatfield will have to do.

Ah. I see. Still, I wonder how Drake would have handled a modern Battlefleet.

trekaddict said:
Ah. I see. Still, I wonder how Drake would have handled a modern Battlefleet.
He fits the profile of a sub commander more than a fleet admiral, IMHO. Grabbing Spanish merchant ships is a bit different from attacking a battlefleet, though I guess burning an already ravaged fleet at anchor must count for something. :p

dublish said:
He fits the profile of a sub commander more than a fleet admiral, IMHO. Grabbing Spanish merchant ships is a bit different from attacking a battlefleet, though I guess burning an already ravaged fleet at anchor must count for something. :p

Agreed.

TheEnlightened1 - Thanks! I'm not normally one for puffery, but I think I can safely say that Chapters I and II were only the setting the stage for much epicness to come ;) . Hitler will have to talk to Raeder about strategy, but given relative force dispositions between the Kriegsmarine and Royal Navy, it would be foolish in the extreme. Germany has no battleships at the moment, and the Home Fleet alone has more than Germany even has cruisers. That's not to say however that the Reich won't find some clever use for its fleet...

trekaddict (1 & 2) - Well, the circumstances that he fought in were very different. This time the British have overwhelming naval superiority. The question, then, is how would Drake have handled the Armada? Could he have won from the other side? I'd give it 55/45 that he could.

dublish - True, true. Or the commander of a surface raider. KMS Graf Spee is still in trials, for those expectantly keeping track.

BigBadWolf - Thank you very much! Welcome aboard, and thanks for taking the time to comment. I hope to see more of you as we go forward :) .

I have some big things coming up over the next two weeks, during which time I'll probably be able to get out 2-5 updates (estimate, not a promise :p ) after which, things should stabilize for several months.

Also, if anyone skilled in graphic art, especially along the lines of propaganda posters or technical schematics, is interested in contributing to Weltkriegschaft - please let me know! I'm sure we can find some clever uses for your abilities...

Last edited:
Next update is underway... I haven't forgotten you all and hope you haven't forgotten me ;) .

In the meantime, you might want to take a look at my WritAAR of the Week Speech , which discusses the subject of Unity of Style in writing Weltkriegschaft.

We have not forgotten.

Will be good to read some more of this epic AAR, especially since I'm fully caught up now.

So long for an update... Herr Hitler is thinking a cunning plan, indeed.

Is everything alright? i wouldn't like to see this stall...

Chapter III: Part IV

Chapter III: The Lion's Den

Part IV

June 13, 1936

A faint breeze was beginning to cool the vale -- it had been hot since an hour after sunrise. Reinhard Heydrich had been hiking without rest the entire time. He was following the broad stream that coursed eventually into the Ems river. Ahead, he saw the large boulders marking the spot that he had found once before.

As chief of the feared Sicherheitsdienst, he was perhaps the second most powerful man in the entire SS, after Himmler himself. He was tall -- well over six feet -- and good-looking. More than most senior Nazis, Heydrich embodied the Aryan ideal of blond-haired, blue-eyed perfection. A formidable athlete, he was regarded as an excellent skier, hiker, marksman and equestrian. He was a skilled pilot and a champion fencer; an exceptional violinist and a great lover of the opera. Himmler found him perfectly disposed psychologically for the task of ruthless spywork, and both admired and feared the younger man’s intellect.

Heydrich took little pleasure in the daily business of intelligence, though, spending what time he could in the outdoors. Even now, he could feel the peacefulness of Teutoburg Forest wash over him. He had been hiking since morning, but his steps still felt light. It was here that he found the strength to fight the dirty and endless war against Germany’s enemies.

heydrich-1.jpg

Reinhard Heydrich was head of the dreaded Sicherheitsdienst.

The water’s edge was lined with wild barberry bushes, gloriously flowering in yellow. The stream was at its shallowest here, and he looked down through the sparkling clear water to the rocks below. Small fish slipped among them. Heydrich set his backpack down on one of the boulders and slipped his fishing pole out of it. He unfolded and assembled the rod, kneeling to untangle a loop of knotted line.

A twig snapped in the undergrowth, and Heydrich whipped his head around to see Admiral Wilhelm Canaris emerge from the barberries in full uniform.

Something was not right about this.

"Sorry to interrupt, Reinhard, but we need to have a little talk." Canaris stepped onto the stream’s gravelly bank and approached.

Heydrich backed away. The admiral slipped a hand into his jacket and for a brilliant instant Heydrich was sure he would be shot -- but instead the Abwehr chief brandished an intelligence folder.

"You esteem yourself rather highly as an intelligence man, Reinhard. Did you ever wonder why the French had such uncanny insight into how best to circumvent our defenses in the Saarland?”

“What are you talking about?”

“I’m talking about the fact that the French High Command knew exactly how the Wehrmacht was disposed in the opening days of the war.”

Heydrich swallowed. What’s Canaris playing at?

“Let me refresh your memory,” the Admiral continued. “The 3. Infanterie-Division was the first to be engaged and they immediately reported being outmatched. General Liebmann cabled Ruoff, Franke and von Kempski in code, ordering their divisions to cover the retreat. Strangely enough, just hours later, they stumbled upon an entire French army that had hastily changed its line of penetration to flank them. That action cost four thousand German lives. Or perhaps you heard about the unit of assault pioneers that executed a very secret glider-based mission to capture an airfield in northern France. The French were waiting for them on the runways with their machine guns waiting. Sixty-one of Germany’s finest soldiers were killed, including their commander, one Hauptmann Erich Braudel -- the second-in-command at Eben-Emael. Maybe you know about the gap in the Munich Line that was brought to General von Rundstedt’s attention, only to be suddenly exploited by a French general who had been theretofore entirely unaware of its existence.”

“Yes, yes. So there is a French spy in Germany?”

“A spy for the French, at least.”

“Then you believe a German is leaking?”

“Yes.”

“You ought not to try blaming me for this, if that’s what you’re after. The blame falls as much or more upon the Abwehr for not rooting him out. There is a leak? Plug it!”

“The trouble,” Canaris said, shaking his head, “is that the leak has come from within the Sicherheitsdienst. Normally it would be your responsibility to find and kill whoever has been consorting with French intelligence. However, that responsibility is compromised now. As you can imagine, this puts the SD in a very bad position.”

Heydrich felt his heart pounding. “It is very foolish to try to intimidate me with suspicion and innuendo, Admiral!”

"That is why," the Spymaster replied coolly, "I felt it was best not to trouble you about this until I had proof.”

“What sort of proof?”

“Among several things a dossier of captured French records conclusively demonstrating correspondence with their agent in the SD.”

“What are the other things?”

“You will only find out if the proof which I now possess reaches the Führer. If he is presented with such facts, he will consider it a stain upon the entire SS. He will pressure Herr Himmler who would in will pressure you. At last, you will be given the blame for the whole affair, ruining not only your own career, but the position of the entire SD. You know this to be true.”

Heydrich said nothing.

Canaris crouched down next to him and took off his cap. "Better for me to handle your leak quietly. I will not ask questions or speak of it again, and in return you will not trouble Field Marshal von Blomberg further -- nor any other members of the Officer Corps whom Herr Himmler wishes to discredit, even if he tells you it is out of self-defense.”

Indeed, Himmler was convinced that through the success of Operation Hammerschlag, von Blomberg had become too powerful. Two summers before, von Blomberg had convinced Hitler to suppress SA Chief Ernst Röhm and his legion of fanatical brownshirts. Despite Röhm's faithful service -- in the early days he was perhaps Hitler's truest, closest comrade -- he had been rounded up in the middle of the night along with hundreds of others and murdered in cold blood. Following this purge, which came to be known as the Night of the Long Knives, the Army had given the former corporal its unwavering support, propelling him into absolute power when President Hindenburg died two months later.

The day of Hitler’s Peace Speech, Himmler had expressed to Heydrich his fears that the resounding victory which the Field Marshal delivered in Belgium might have given him the political capital to soon move against the Schutzstaffel as well.

"What," the SD head had protested, "about your personal relationship with Hitler? Göring's?"

Himmler had not been optimistic. "Blomberg holds no love for the SS, and has proven his aggressiveness and influence before. Were he to move against us with the swiftness and surprise with which the Stormtroopers were neutralized, I have no doubt that at least one and maybe both of us would be lined up against a wall and shot. He could even order the army up in spite of the Führer.”

And so, they had sought to destroy the War Minister by implicating him in the same scandal that had brought down General Beck. It had worked remarkably well, even though von Blomberg had been reappointed to a lesser command. Himmler found his replacement, von Küchler, to be much less threatening. To restore a vengeful and embittered von Blomberg to his position would be absolutely unacceptable.

“Shall I consider it a deal, Reinhard?” Canaris’ eyes were fixed intently into his own.

“You want Blomberg to be exonerated?”

The Spymaster nodded.

"Given his correspondence with the assassins, he cannot be trusted as head of the Armed Forces. Surely such a thing would make sense to you, Admiral?"

"You will remember, though, that the Field Marshal is no longer the head of the Armed Forces. In fact --"

"Yes... Yes, I forgot. He is a dishwasher now."

"He was sacked, is that not enough?"

Heydrich’s cheeks were growing hot. "Right, yes. Sacked. Stripped of offices. Not in charge of anything vital, like half an army group!"

Canaris heaved himself to his feet and put his cap back on. "I'll just tell the Führer then. I can see that you are not prepared to consider my offer seriously. Heil Hitler." With that, the Admiral turned on his heel and was swallowed up by the thick barberry bushes overlooking the stream.

Mind racing, Heydrich tried to decide what to do. Himmler would not be pleased either way. But what could he have done? Canaris, he knew, was not to be trifled with -- especially given the harm that could be done by a revelation that Heydrich’s agency had harbored a traitor.

In the twenties, Heydrich had actually worked for Canaris in naval intelligence. The two men had gotten along reasonably well then, but the events of the past six months had deepened the rivalry between the Abwehr -- the Reich's official intelligence arm -- and the Sicherheitsdienst as the intelligence service of the SS. In the process, what friendship remained between them had been severed. But the two men still understood each other, and Heydrich knew that Canaris had not just walked off into the forest to play coy. He would not stop after ten paces and ask Heydrich to reconsider. Unless something was done, he would go directly to the Führer and ruin him.

"Stop!"

Heydrich parted the bushes and could see the Spymaster's small silhouette pressing deeper into the forest.

"Stop! Stop!"

The Admiral neither stopped nor turned.

"Stop! Please stop!"

He was running now, and drew closer to Canaris' uniformed figure.

"Admiral! Wait, and I shall reconsider."

They had come upon a steep slope where the trees were smaller and farther apart. Heydrich stumbled over an outlying root and had to steady his footing. Ahead, the navy little man bobbed down the hillside, ignoring him completely.

702151359_bda95599b4.jpg

The Teutoburg Forest, with its forested hills and spectacular views.

Cursing, the SD chief slid down a huge mossy boulder and landed in a heap no more than ten meters behind the recalcitrant admiral.

“Admiral Canaris! I shall see to it that Blomberg is not troubled further! Do you hear me?”

He did not even flinch.

Heydrich sprinted past the Abwehr chief and turned to face him, walking backwards as quickly as he could.

“Admiral! Admiral?” Heydrich’s breathing became ragged. “Answer me!” Swearing bitterly, he persisted in his appeals. “Admiral! Admiral!

The Spymaster simply walked along, as if not hearing Heydrich at all.

“Answer me! If you don’t answer, I’ll -- I’ll --” Heydrich felt himself losing what remained of his composure.

“Listen! I will accept your offer! Or -- yes! -- give me time to consider it! We can come to a resolution. Admiral! Admiral!” Heydrich began screaming at him uncontrollably.

At last, they came into a clearing where a black Mercedes touring car was parked. Dirt and grass caked the body of the vehicle, evidently from the drive up the overgrown slopes. Heydrich saw a young officer waiting in the driver’s seat. Canaris quickly crossed to the passenger’s door and entered the car.

“Yes, Reinhard?”

It took considerable willpower not to hit the man. “I accept your offer.”

“Good. I shall inform the Field Marshal of the happy news. And a friendly word of advice, Reinhard.”

“What?”

“I suggest you tell your men in Abwehr Cryptanalysis to stop wasting their time and yours. We never let them have anything valuable, you know.”

Heydrich squirmed. He had not guessed that the Abwehr would have known about that.

“Thank you for seeing reason, Reinhard.”

Heydrich glared at him. "Remember, though, that this blackmail will end you."

A smile played across Wilhelm Canaris' lips as he pulled the door shut. "I'll remember."

The driver started the engine, and the car pulled out of the clearing and down the dusty footpath that snaked back into the forest.

Last edited:
Never thought Reinhard would humble himself so.
Kind of liked the idea though! :D

Slaughts said:
The cunning Heydrich being outwitted by Canaris? Epic :rofl:
But I fear that the dear Admiral has created himself a mortal enemy.

trekaddict said:
But I fear that the dear Admiral has created himself a mortal enemy.

Well, Heydrich was (more or less) after him, so Canaris has just given him more reasons :D. An interesting development, indeed.

TheEnlightened1 - Thank you! Things are stabilizing for me schedule-wise, so with luck things will soon be moving at a reasonable pace again.

Kurt_Steiner (1) - He is, as always.

SeleucidRex - Yes, thank you. Just in schedule chaos for the past month and a half, but things are getting back to normal. I shan't let Weltkriegschaft falter ;) .

ShadowWarrior - Thanks! Yes, I think it takes someone with particular insight to outfox him.

Slaughts - :D

trekaddict - True. And frankly neither Canaris nor Heydrich is a good enemy to have.

Kurt_Steiner (2) - This exchange certainly cements the enmity.

A very dangerous game. I'm not sure Hitler would have had Heydrich removed over a leak like this, especially considering Himmler's relationship with Hitler and support for Heydrich. As cunning as Canaris was (or perhaps because he was so good at his job), he didn't get the axe until 1944, and Abwehr was notoriously deficient when held in comparison to Allied intelligence organizations.

Heydrich at this point must be contemplating every option available to get out from under Canaris' thumb.

Quite excellent, quite excellent indeed. Hopefully the Naaazis will spend so much time stabbing each other in the back that they can't fight the Allies.

Give me an "A"! Give me an "L"! Give me another "L"! Give me an "I"! Give me an "E"! Give me an "S"! What's that spell? ALLIES!

Excellent update.