• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Kurt_Steiner, Striker475, Hardraade - Thanks! It's quite a gamble, but as Hitler said, those unwilling to risk everything are cast aside by history... I suppose this is the one place on the whole internet where the Argumentum ad Hitlerum doesn't break Godwin's Law :rofl:

Commander-DK - Glad you liked it. More on that soon!

SeleucidRex - Indeed.

HKslan - If you mean throwing history off the course that it really took with regard to those events, then yes. Not to worry though -- don't think the Nazis have taken their eyes off those territories for one moment.

Last edited:
This has the potential to be the best Germany AAR since Yogi's WtICG. I can't wait to read more.

dublish said:
This has the potential to be the best Germany AAR since Yogi's WtICG. I can't wait to read more.

Thanks! While I have not yet read that opus, I have heard the reverential tones with which it is spoken of. Glad you're enjoying it.

Last edited:
Chapter I: Part V

Chapter I: The Hammerblow

Part V

January 6, 1936

In a wooden hut on the forested slopes outside Sulzau, Austria, Albert Lössner warmed his hands over an ancient potbelly stove. It was an hour past dawn, but there was a fresh coat of snow over the mountainside, and it was no warmer than during the night.

He had found the hut in the first hours of the new year, staggering exhausted down the mountain toward its lighted windows. Within minutes of the attack, all egress from Berchtesgaden had been sealed by the SS, forcing Lössner to flee overland, crossing into Austria on foot. On a mountaintop he stopped to look back across the border into the darkened valley. He fancied that he heard frantic whistles and baying dogs somewhere below him, but in the stillness he knew it could just as easily have been the buzz of blood pumping in his own head.

He had said a silent prayer for the souls of his victims, and turned back up the slope. He had not looked back into Germany since.

When he reached the hut on the other side of the mountain, Lössner was almost too weak to stand.

It was a full minute before the door swung open, revealing a gnarled old man not taller than Lössner’s eleven year old daughter. Lössner had begged his help, telling the man that he had been in an automobile accident on a mountain road. The man had waved him in.

The interior was sparsely furnished, with several pieces of rotting wooden furniture covered in filthy woolen blankets. By kerosene lamplight, Lössner could see that the man’s eyes were thickly filmed over. He was almost blind. When he had understood that his visitor was injured, he had boiled water and set about bandaging the gash that split Lössner’s temple. Few words had passed between them before Lössner drifted into a deep sleep on the man’s rocking chair.

The next morning he had awakened to find the old man already making tea, which he offered to his guest. Conversation over the bitter tea was an opportunity to learn something of the man and the hamlet in the valley below. Despite considerable recalcitrance, Lössner was able to gather that the man’s name was Jakob. He was a widower who sustained himself by subsistence farming, and occasionally worked in the village of Sulzau.

“Do you have a radio?” Lössner had asked.

“Never have. Don’t need anything it has to say.”

Lössner desperately sought news from Germany. Who had taken Hitler’s place? Had the government fallen? What had become of Fröhlich and the others? He had not thought of them since they had scattered into the woods around the Berghof. When he had found the road to their rendezvous guarded, he had simply fled up the mountains. He prayed that they had lived.

The following day, Lössner had taken his leave of his host and climbed down the slope to Sulzau. On the outskirts of the town he froze -- green-uniformed policemen were present in large numbers. He had returned to Jakob immediately, resolved to stay in the mountains until it was safe to pass into Austria.

Lössner had been relieved that the old man seemed not to find anything strange about his return. He had stayed four more nights, deciding on the night of January fifth to return to Sulzau the next morning.

Sulzau.jpg

Sulzau and the surrounding valley.

Now, warming himself before descending the snowy mountain, Lössner planned his flight to safety. It was plain that the Austrian government would cooperate significantly with German efforts to capture him. From Sulzau, he would have to attempt to reach the Swiss border by bus. By then, he knew, he would be armed with information about the situation in Germany.

Lössner gingerly peeled the makeshift dressing off his temple so as not to attract attention in the village. His hair would conceal most of the gash. He took off his blood-stained suit jacket. His beard had grown in almost fully, but there was no razor.

Jakob had already gone out of the hut for the morning, so Lössner slipped away down the slope without a word. When he reached Sulzau, it was nearly nine. The village was now free of police, and there were few people moving between the quaint little buildings. He made for a building whose sign proclaimed it to be a barbershop.

Within, he found four men: a mustachioed man in a smock who was evidently the Klaus Mühlinghaus, Barber to whom the sign referred, two older men whose faces were still covered by hot lather, and a younger blond man dressed in city clothes. They all turned to face Lössner. There was an uncomfortable silence.

The barber laughed heartily. “What can I do for you my friend?”

Lössner froze. He simply could not bring himself to ask his many questions straight away. “A lather and shave, if you please.”

Lössner took a seat next to the blond man, awaiting his shave. The others resumed their discussion.

The smaller of the two older men was insistent. “The radio was very clear about it. The SS killed all of the attackers.”

“If they did,” argued the barber, “why have they put out these police notices?”

The larger, jowlier older man waved his fist in the air. “I’m telling you, this man was probably an inside man for them.”

“Well I,” said the barber, “cannot see the use in all this for someone who hadn’t even been there.”

The blond man remained silent.

Lössner could no longer contain his curiosity. He would ask them for news of the man the Reinickendorf Circle believed would attempt to seize power after Hitler was killed. “What of Herr Himmler lately?”

The barber laughed again. “Whatever do you mean? Probably being kicked around by his Führer as usual.”

“Führer?” Lössner noticed the blond man eyeing him impassively.

“Of course. Who else?”

Lössner could not believe that he had understood the man correctly. “Who is the Führer now?”

The smaller man cackled. “I’m sure Himmler wishes that it was he that was Führer now. I’m sure Himmler wishes that Hitler had been killed.”

It was a truth too shattering to accept. He had seen the bodies with his own eyes -- lying in their own blood. He had lit the bomb himself, and checked to ensure that the fuse was working. To have survived that would have been impossible.

The jowly man -- jowls now shaven smooth as a baby’s flesh -- was waving his fist with another theory. “Himmler is behind all this, I’m telling you. They’re probably looking for this Albert Lössbach character so they can kill him before he rats on old Heinrich!”

The barber beckoned a stunned Lössner into the chair as he turned to talk sense into his client. “It cannot be Himmler, Otto! The newspaper said that he was an insane-person who had been sacked as a professor. Even Himmler would never trust such a man. Find the article on it, would you.”

As Lössner mentally reeled, he saw the large Otto rummage through a stack of newspapers on a table and produce the article. He held it up so each man could see. It was an Austrian newspaper, but the article was reprinted from an initial release in the Völkischer Beobachter. There was a large picture of a clean-shaven Lössner -- his faculty portrait at the Technische Universität Berlin -- with a caption describing him as extremely dangerous. The article did not address exactly why he was sought by the authorities, other than to say that he was “connected” to the attack at the Berghof.

As the men crowded around the newspaper to examine the photo, Lössner felt the barber begin shaving away his beard in long sweeps.

Blind with terror, Lössner bolted from the chair, through the door, and ran away down the street without looking back.

Last edited:
Lössner is finished, methinks. In a few days...

I wonder what is Hitler doing, meanwhile.

I'll echo what others have said... amazing. I can't wait to see how Hitler's gambit works out! And yes, Lössner seems finished, methinks.

Nice AAR....I like the story line and agree with the last few comments.....that poor chap doesn't have long to live..........

KLorberau

i'll fifth that. Lössner is pretty much toast. i don't trust that quiet blond guy.

Kurt_Steiner, General_BT, KLorberau, Kordo, SeleucidRex, HKslan - Well, it sure looks like you're all in agreement on that!

General_BT, KLorberau, Kordo - Thanks for reading and commenting! Glad to have you aboard. What that all the lurkers could follow your shining examples... :rofl:

Bah. If Lössner was going to die so soon, he'd already be dead. I think he'll stick around a bit longer.

dublish said:
Bah. If Lössner was going to die so soon, he'd already be dead. I think he'll stick around a bit longer.

Yeah, I could even see him go for a second try on Hitler, fail disastriously and get killed after all. :D

trekaddict said:
Yeah, I could even see him go for a second try on Hitler, fail disastriously and get killed after all. :D
Possibly. I see him serving as a core around which anti-Nazi resistance groups will form. It just doesn't make sense to create a new character every time you want somebody to make an assassination attempt, and I can definitely see a prolonged anti-Hitler underground playing a major role in the story.

So, six betting against Lössner and two betting for. Any more wagers? Next installment tonight.

Chapter I: Part VI

Chapter I: The Hammerblow

Part VI

January 7, 1936

As his special Mercedes-Benz staff car came to a halt at its destination outside Karlsruhe, War Minister Werner von Blomberg looked skeptically out the window onto the overgrown field below. Climbing out of the elegant black 770, he saw more than a hundred workers laboring at the field’s far end. There, a large defunct fortress rose out of the ground. Dating from before the Great War, the structure now lay directly opposite the easternmost projection of the vaunted Maginot Line.

The old fortress was now being greatly expanded and reinforced, by express order of the Führer. The Führer did not, however, intend this project to counter the fortifications across the French border. Rather, as he had told von Blomberg and von Fritsch the day before, the rebuilt fortification would aid in the neutralization of a fortress more than 280 kilometers away.

Again Hitler had relished the incredulity of his two chieftains. “I am referring,” he had said, “to the Key to Liége -- Eben-Emael.”

The two professional officers had simply stared. The newly constructed Belgian fortress of Eben-Emael was not only stronger than any single point on the Maginot Line, but was internationally considered to be totally impregnable.

Even the normally conservative Canaris had been so convinced of the fortress’s invincibility that in his initial war plan for Operation Hammerschlag, German armies were to be diverted 10 kilometers to both the north and south in an attempt to bypass Eben-Emael entirely. This would greatly slow the armored advance, adding up to two weeks to the period of hostilities. Hitler feared that an additional two weeks of indecisive battle might convince France and Britain to declare war.

Rather, he had said, he could only settle for a coup de main offensive that would be well settled before Belgium’s neighbors could react. This would necessitate the speedy capture of Fort Eben-Emael -- something which the Führer believed was entirely possible. He was very much taken with the idea of some kind of air-borne assault, and had consulted Göring about the possibility.

Göring had recommended a daring and brilliant officer who had served with distinction as a fighter pilot on the Western Front. Oberst Kurt Student was the director of technical training in the fledgling Luftwaffe, and was now working to establish the Reich’s first parachute training school after being thoroughly impressed by the Soviets’ airborne forces.

When von Blomberg had pointed out to Hitler that Germany -- for all its ambition and planning -- as of that moment totally lacked paratroop units, the Führer confidently waved away his War Minister’s objections. “There,” Hitler had said, “lies Student’s greatest strength -- his considerable experience with gliders and glider pilots, which we do have at this moment, Field Marshal.”

The Führer’s plan entailed the landing of commandos on top of Eben-Emael via a surprise glider-borne assault. The fortress was large enough to accommodate ten gliders carrying eighty soldiers. The entire defensive complex was defended by approximately 1,200 men. Thus, dictated Hitler, the assault must be carried out with the utmost speed, surprise, discipline and coordination.

To that end, he had tasked von Blomberg with overseeing the construction of a full-scale mock-up of Eben-Emael on which Student’s glider troops could practice their assault. Over the course of a single afternoon, von Blomberg’s staff had researched possible sites within Germany for its construction. Berlin’s nearly-complete Reichssportfeld -- scene of the coming Summer Olympics --was briefly proposed as a location, but was ultimately considered too public for such a sensitive operation. Instead, Emplacement Ajax, as it had once been called, was chosen to undergo the necessary expansions.

von Blomberg smiled. Despite early concerns about the site’s suitability, initial ground preparation was going very quickly, and within a week, more than a thousand men would be at work to convert Emplacement Ajax into an exacting replica of Fort Eben-Emael. Another thousand soldiers would guard and fortify the surrounding area to ensure the secrecy of the training exercises. Work would likely be complete in not more than two months.

EmplacementAjax.jpg

Emplacement Ajax, before being converted to replicate Eben-Emael.

The sound of another staff car pulling up attracted the War Minister’s attention. A young captain jumped from the passenger’s seat and made for von Blomberg with a sealed envelope. He saluted and proffered the envelope. “Urgent cable from the Führer’s office, Field Marshal.”

Taking the envelope with a nod to the young officer, von Blomberg slit the top with his enameled penknife, and withdrew the message.

Most Secret

7 January, 1936. 9.45

Field Marshal,

The political situation is advancing more rapidly than before. I expect Operation Hammerschlag to begin no later than 20 January. Glider practice runs on the completed mock-up must begin earlier than that, accordingly.

A. Hitler

When he finished reading, Field Marshal von Blomberg folded the paper several times and let out a protracted sigh. Things were again beginning to slip out of hand.

Last edited:
I pity the troops who will have to assault Eben Emael with such a half-arsed plan. A million details can go wrong and they will likely all get killed. Methinks poor Adolf has made a mistake this time ;) .

BTW, I warmly recomend "Fortress Eben Emael - The Key to Hitler's Victory in the West" by Osprey Publishing (Simon Dunstan & Hugh Johnson) as a great book on the actual planning and execution of the airborne assault. Thrilling stuff!

:) Jesper

Commander-DK - Have it! Unfortunately, this is almost four and a half years before the historical assault, before Germany had any Fallschirmjager units and before Germany had undertaken any previous airborne assaults. Thus, admittedly, their warplanning in this area might leave a little to be desired. :D

Everyone Else - I also recommend the book for those interested in how the actual assault played out during the Germans' historical attack in 1940.

Last edited:
i bet they will succeed. germany got really lucky in 1940, after all.