• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, Hitler always was a master of oratory and stagecraft, the [MANY EXPLETIVES DELETED].

Excellent update.

Ironhewer said:
Well, Hitler always was a master of oratory and stagecraft, the [MANY EXPLETIVES DELETED].
Oh, come now. Tell us what you really think. :D

I'm actually a little surprised at how well the ceremony went- the opening must have put a lot of people off.

Casting Hitler as the Messiah? Now there is a juxtaposition. True he was a powerful man, an impressive leader, a mesmerizing and amazingly successful politician...but he isn't Jewish, is he?

TheExecuter

Originally Posted by dublish
Oh, come now. Tell us what you really think.

I'm actually a little surprised at how well the ceremony went- the opening must have put a lot of people off.

Oh, I can don't worry. One of my grandfathers was an extremely crude, angry man and the other was a sailor, so I have learned many a useful expressions.

As for the opening ceremony, this is after the Night of the Long Knives so it is possible that its worth more than anyone's neck to disagree.

Fantastic! I had a hard time not believing that that really happened.

KLorberau - Thank you very much! Hope things are still going strong in 1945 ;) .

Ironhewer - Yes, they do have a unique take on things. Rather like Americans' excessive use of sports metaphors, I suppose.

SeleucidRex - Sorry about that delay :( .

English Patriot - Thank you kindly, sir!

Kurt_Steiner - Ahah. Notice that Hitler alludes to Roman use of Aquilae, but conveniently ignores the fact that Napoleon presented his own troops with eagles.

diziziz - Thank you! The Soviet reaction is covered later in this chapter.

Ironhewer - Thank you. And thank you for being kind enough to censor yourself, so we don't have to call in the Reich Ministry for Popular Enlightenment and Propaganda ;) .

dublish - As was Scholl. Hitler's personal effect is hard to underestimate.

TheExecuter, diziziz - Conjectures about Hitler's Jewishness assert descent through his father. Though this of course would count as Jewishness to the Office of Racial Policy, Jewish definitions of Jewishness stipulate being both a practicing Jew and being able to claim matrilinial descent. For this reason (among thousands of other far more flagrant ones), I don't think he would have qualified as Messiah.

Ironhewer - Indeed.

SeleucidRex - Thank you! :D

Next update, provided that my internet connection remains intact, should be tonight!

Chapter II: Part X

Chapter II: The Gambit of the West

Part X

April 1, 1936

Shortly after lunch in Berlin, several agents filed into the small conference room abutting Admiral Canaris’ office at Abwehr Headquarters. They spoke quickly and quietly, but Victor Reinert seemed to make out frequent use of the word “framed”. The Spymaster was already seated at the head of the small table, and greeted each of the agents with a nod. As he entered, Reinert noticed a small memorial picture of Walther Neumann in the corner of the room. Anyone must admit that Canaris is a true master.

When they had taken their seats, the Abwehr chief began. “Thank you for pardoning the short notice. Each of you has sent me information over the past weeks that is now starting to come together and point in a particular direction. I will not say more yet, so as not to influence your own senses of judgment. Listen to each other and draw the conclusions that seem most appropriate. Paul, present to us what you sent me earlier, if you please.”

Paul Assling, Chief (Section II) straightened and opened the folder lying in front of him. “Our cryptanalysis efforts yielded something very strange on March twenty-second. This was a coded communiqué from the French High Command to General Condé -- commander-in-chief of the armies along the Maginot Line.”

Assling passed a typewritten copy of the translation around the table. When it reached Reinert, he read it several times before setting it down.

Most Secret

1130. 22 March, 1936

General,

Your request is utterly refused. Operational authority continues to rest with the High Command, which forbids independent action of any kind whatsoever. Any orders will come from High Command.

Gamelin

“And now,” said Canaris, “if Dietrich would report his findings please.”

Dietrich Lamm, Special Deputy (Section III), handled several of the Abwehr’s spies in Francophone countries. “Schweinswal, our most highly placed asset in France, passed something along to us from his sub-agent Heuhaufen… It is a copy of an order placed to a Paris engraving firm for fifty thousand Wounded Soldier Badges.”

This too was passed around the table. Reinert scanned the order. It was addressed to a company called “Mabille et Fils, Paris” -- ordering manufacture of fifty thousand of the “Insigne des blessés militaries” medals awarded to wounded French soldiers. “Fifty thousand,” Reinert muttered.

Lamm laughed aloud. “At least they do not underestimate the capabilities of the Wehrmacht.”

“Perhaps not,” Reinert countered, “but this means that they have serious reason to believe that they will sustain such casualties.”

“Do not draw conclusions yet, Victor.” Canaris bit his lip. “Adam, if you please.”

“Of course, Admiral.” Adam Ahrends, Special Deputy (Section III), led industrial espionage efforts in France. “According to shipping records of the Compagnie des Chemins de fer de l'Est -- a principal French railway company -- three thousand containers of heavy ammunition have been shipped last month alone from depots in the interior to divisions along the Maginot Line.”

“And yet no sign of a general mobilization…” Lamm had hit upon the fact that had puzzled German intelligence for months.

“None whatsoever. It’s strange, I know, but possibly the French are aiming to achieve the surprise we did against the Belgians. They know that we would learn of a mobilization and prepare ourselves for war, if not declare it preemptively ourselves.”

Reinert saw the logic in Ahrends’ thinking. “I agree, Admiral. If the French intended to confuse us, they would make their own war plans as conspicuous as possible.”

“Unless they genuinely think that we’re going to invade France?” Assling seemed confident that Germany would never do such a thing.

“I think not.” Reinert thumbed through his reports on German military strength along the frontier. “We’ve shifted divisions away from the frontier, if anything. If the ammunition were for defense, then it would logically be concentrated opposite our center of force, which presently lies in eastern Belgium. As it is, it’s going to the divisions arrayed behind the Maginot Line, across from which we have only six divisions.”

Assling took off his eyeglasses, gently sucking on one earpiece. “Perhaps they know that we will be aware of the shipments and are trying to lure us into either firing the first shot, or simply increasing military expenditures to defend the West.”

Reinert shook his head. “If they were playing that game, they would have ordered a general mobilization to get our fears up. This is just discreet enough to be genuine.”

Canaris pointed to the lone woman sitting at the table. “Elisabeth. I should like to hear again your report on Kummer.”

Kummer, as Charles Randall was known, had been in place in Britain’s Secret Intelligence Service since February. The woman, Special Deputy (Section III) Elisabeth Markl, ran a hand through her black pulled-back hair and pulled a report from her folder.

“Kummer reports that the Deuxième Bureau has requested that the British SIS provide them with psychological profiles for our army-level commanders in the West. French intelligence is almost certainly unaware of Kummer, and would have no reason to idly request such information.”

Lamm frowned. “How is he going to mislead them?”

“He is not going to mislead them, Dietrich. Such information is almost completely insignificant, and to tamper with it risks compromising an asset that may prove much more valuable in the future.”

“Do we at least know,” Lamm asked, “what Kummer’s profiles say?”

“Yes. Field Marshal von Küchler was judged to be --”

“Field Marshal?” Several other quizzical voices piped up around the table.

“Acting Field Marshal von Küchler, actually. Generalleutnant von Küchler was appointed Acting War Minister five days ago after Blomberg --”

“What exactly happened with that? All I’ve heard is rumors.” Lamm and Assling shared a significant look.

Canaris coughed quietly. “If I may. The best I know is as follows. The SD supposedly produced evidence to Hitler suggesting that Field Marshal von Blomberg was aware of the Reinickendorf Circle’s correspondence with General Beck -- probably Himmler’s ploy, but that doesn’t matter. Hitler has opened an investigation, and it seems that von Blomberg agreed to be step down until things can be cleared up. Enter von Küchler, who was made Acting Field Marshal so that the man in charge of the War Ministry would still outrank that man’s chief subordinate, General von Rundstedt.”

“-- Who also took these developments well?” Lamm raised his eyebrows.

“Not well or badly. But what can he do?” Canaris sighed deeply. “The War Ministry has had many of its functions taken over by the Grand General Staff until all this is resolved. A lieutenant-colonel by the name of Bayerlein is now overseeing the Planning Office of the War Ministry on behalf of the General Staff. I suppose that is the extent of what I know.”

“Back to the psychological profiles, then,” resumed Lamm. “What did Kummer say about von Küchler?”

Markl read from the report. “That he is very well-liked by the Führer. He performed admirably as Inspector of War Schools, and was a remarkably able general-staffer during the World War. von Blomberg is noted as a strong supporter of the Führer’s rise to power, and a tireless overseer of rearmament. von Rundstedt is also well-regarded. On the whole, Kummer’s report presents German leadership very favorably.”

“Unless,” Canaris said, “anyone has anything else to add, I would solicit each of your thoughts on the totality of this information.”

Assling spoke first: “Admiral, the entrails seem fairly clear to me. Something is brewing along the lines of a French attack.”

“I agree,” said Lamm.

“And I,” seconded Ahrends.

“It does come together well now, Admiral.” Markl reread Assling’s decrypted telegram.

Reinert considered. All the devil’s advocacy had already been played out. “I concur.”

“It is as I have feared.” The Spymaster stared at the photograph of Walter Neumann. “This is most serious.”

Lamm looked shaken to see Canaris so troubled. “If the French attack Germany tomorrow, they would probably push our armies back across Rhine or even beyond. There is a possibility of total collapse.”

“Until they mobilize, though,” Reinert said, “we are far closer to parity than we would be after their mobilization, and if the Wehrmacht were prepared, might stand an even chance.”

“If I have your agreement, then,” Canaris said, gathering the folders on the table, “I shall make official report to the Führer this evening to the effect that the Abwehr is of the opinion that France is planning a large offensive -- possibly a surprise attack. Yes?”

The agents sounded their assent, and filed out of the conference room.

Reinert ducked into the building’s courtyard and lit a cigarette. Total collapse. I hope not.

Last edited:
Go France, GO!

As my cheerleader friends would say, "B E Aggressive, Be Aggressive!"

Most excellent update.

I'm not sure that France is actually planning anything. Most of the evidence is damning, but I'm not sure what to make of the order from Gamelin denying independent action to the divisions on the Maginot. I don't think Hitler will be convinced of the danger- even if he sees the possibility of a French attack, the centralized command nature of the French army will make it highly vulnerable to a counter-offensive from Belgium, especially with Bayerlein coordinating the plans.

While I don't think highly enough of the French intelligence and military structure to believe that this is all a ruse, I also don't think the French would be foolish enough to attack, especially with the rift in the British government effectively hamstringing any Allied cooperation.

Even if they aren't going to launch a surprise attack, that kind of information bouncing around means Gamellin et al are up to something. If not a surprise attack, then what?

General_BT said:
Even if they aren't going to launch a surprise attack, that kind of information bouncing around means Gamellin et al are up to something. If not a surprise attack, then what?
I actually think they're trying to get Hitler to make the first move, as they can't secure British support if France shoots first. The question the French should be asking themselves after watching Belgium get picked apart in a week is whether the reserves can be mobilized before the Wehrmacht can reach Paris from the Belgian frontier. Given the demobilization of German forces in the area, I'd certainly be optimistic, though it's certainly risky.

I wonder what the request could have been though...

Schweinswal. I'm sure that blends in reeeeealll well in France :rofl: .

What exactly is Canaris up to? Even members of Hitler's cabal have mentioned fears of a French attack...Hitler has had to quash them several times. Now Canaris raises actual data on French intentions...data which does not have much tactical or even strategic value (i.e. if Germany isn't prepared for a French attack... :eek: ...what were they smoking in the planning offices!). However, this type of information is of political value...is Canaris trying to protect someone?

Great...now I have to go back and re-read to see if I can tease out the game...

Thanks!
TheExecuter

SeleucidRex said:
I wonder what the request could have been though...

Schweinswal. I'm sure that blends in reeeeealll well in France :rofl: .
You do know it's a codename, right? Same as 'Kummer'.

Ironhewer - Thank you! I fear, though, that it may take a lot more than pom-poms to light a fire under the French leadership.

dublish (1) - Excellent points, all! As to the telegram, the date on it may provide a certain sort of clue as to Condé's request.

General_BT - Canaris is asking himself the same thing.

dublish (2) - All those considerations are, as I noted to General_BT keeping Canaris and the Abwehr up at night.

SeleucidRex - See my reply to dublish.

TheExecuter - Thanks! Good guesses ;) . Canaris is certainly cunning, and his plans are often multifaceted. As for what they were smoking, it seems that it was a mix of Waldorf cigarettes and pipe tobacco.

dublish (3) - Yes. It is a stylistic choice in Weltkriegschaft not to translate German code names. Unternehmen Hammerschlag is translated in the text as "Operation Hammerschlag", rather than "Operation Hammerblow". This is primarily because German operational naming conventions were rather similar to British ones, and to translate them would, I feel, leave the German operations sounding too Anglo-Saxon.

The Germans were notorious for selecting code names that were somehow related to whatever they referred to. The two spies in France would be known in English as "Porpoise" and "Haystack". Knowing this, what might this hint about the nature of the two spies?

Last edited:
Mmmmmh this update brings me memories of WW1... Plan XVIII... I cannot believe that the French are going to be so dumb to do the same mitake.

Erm... Did I say French?

Crecy... Agincourt...

Forget what I've said. They are quite able to do it twice. :D

D'oh! I should of suspected :eek:o .

Kummer means sadness or grief, according to a free online translator. Maybe that refers to what he will inflict upon the British?

Before we find out the truth behind the troubling intelligence that the Abwehr has uncovered, I thought it would be nice to use this moment to have our third reader-participation-thingy-that-I-still-havent-found-a-name-for (RPTTISHFANF for short).

Recent comments have stirred something in my mind. While some German code names have been rather obviously tied to what they refer to (I'd say sending half a million men barreling into a country definitely counts as a Hammerblow), others are less obvious.

I look forward to your thoughts on the significance of any of the code names brought up in the story so far. You have free reign to discuss whichever strike your fancy or niggle your curiosity.

Participation is encouraged, but of course feel free to contribute or not as feels most comfortable.

And, as always, I encourage any suggestions for how to make RPTTISHFANF interesting and enjoyable for the readers!

And, of course, feel free to let me know if you don't like RPTTISHFANF, and would rather just stick to the story. All feedback is welcome ;) .

Next installment tonight.