• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
dublish said:
My sentiments exactly. People tend to write AARs from the winning side's perspective. I think its because people like winning when they play.

Yes, that's true. For that reason I began my AAR before even starting the game. Just for the sake of narrating.

In the end, where are the chaps who like to say: see, they're kicking my ass!

;)

diziziz said:
Yes, but it doesn't really look like an AAR, but rather a story. Which I think is a very good thing.

I mean he is playing from a realistic perspective not from a HOI2 perspective. And also I proved before why Germany would lose, so its pretty much obvious what is going to happen at the end.
Your 'proof' consisted of:
If Welthaupstadt were built, TheHyphenated1 would spend many updates on its construction.

If Welthaupstadt were built, it would sink into the ground.

Germany will lose the war.​

That's not a proof. That's not even logical.

Am I the only one who thinks the Volkshalle looks inspiringly beautiful?

dublish said:
Your 'proof' consisted of:
If Welthaupstadt were built, TheHyphenated1 would spend many updates on its construction.

If Welthaupstadt were built, it would sink into the ground.

Germany will lose the war.​

That's not a proof. That's not even logical.

I admit that what I said wasn't worded to well. I meant that if Welthaupstadt were built, TheHyphenated1 would spend many updates on its engineering problems because it is obvious that Hitler would be very involved and frustrated with it. But TheHyphenated1 wouldn't do this because it would obviously bore his readers.

Welthaupstadt will only be built if Hitler is winning the war against the Soviet Union (not enough resources to do it when losing or at stalemate). So if Hitler was winning, TheHyphenated1 would have to spend many chapters on engineering problems which he will NOT do. Meaning that Hitler will lose the war because TheHyphenated1 will not waste time on those types of chapters.

This may have sounded repetitive, but realizing my bad wording in my previous explanation, this is the only way I could have done it to make it more understandable.

better put, diziziz. on the other hand, though Welthauptstadt Germania wouldn't have been practical in the forties, maybe by the 50s-60s they can find a more workable solution.

SeleucidRex said:
better put, diziziz. on the other hand, though Welthauptstadt Germania wouldn't have been practical in the forties, maybe by the 50s-60s they can find a more workable solution.

Scientists right now say its not practical. Berlin was built on a swamp, all this marble would cause Berlin to sink, so a workable solution would have been impossible.

Unless TheHyphenated1 is an uber engineer, I'm sure he will not be able to work out a solution to this problem.

diziziz (1) - Glad you like the various puzzle pieces throughout the story. I can't comment on how well you're fitting them together, but your ideas are sure stimulating the speculation of the entire readership.

dublish (1) - :wacko:

SeleucidRex (1) - To clear up that factual point -- yes, all six individuals were in SD custody immediately prior to the execution.

Kurt_Steiner (1) - Ah, now that I check Amazon.com, I've seen the book somewhere before. Thanks for the recommendation!

Pinkspider (1) - Thank you! And excellent point.

diziziz (2) - I do enjoy all the speculation, but I really cannot help but squash one theory -- Hitler has not been sent a bodyguard from the future. If he was sent a bodyguard from the future, though, the bodyguard would look and sound exactly like Arnold Schwarzenegger :rofl: .

Pinkspider (2) - Indeed. Very few informed people in February, 1936 would say that Germany is losing.

dublish(2) , diziziz(3) , Kurt_Steiner(2) , dublish (3) - I do caution you, though, about "metathinking" (In other words, using your knowledge that this is a story to predict the outcome. The people in Weltkriegschaft have no idea that it's a story, and go along merrily under the assumption that everything around them is real.) Of course, I do like winning as much as everyone ;) .

English Patriot - No, Hitler thinks so too :p

diziziz (4) , SeleucidRex (2), diziziz (5) - So far we've come almost two months of AAR time in almost two months of real time. At this rate, you'll have your answer some time in 2028.

Next update late tomorrow!

English Patriot said:
Am I the only one who thinks the Volkshalle looks inspiringly beautiful?

Indeed. IIRC, it was based on Hadrian's Pantheon, so its classical lines cannot be missed. The only "but" of this project it's the damned obsession of Hitler about size. All it's bigger and larger than... Size, size, size...

TheHyphenated1 said:
diziziz (4) , SeleucidRex (2), diziziz (5) - So far we've come almost two months of AAR time in almost two months of real time. At this rate, you'll have your answer some time in 2028.

Next update late tomorrow!

It isn't such a long time after all, I mean I'd be close to 40 by then and would have developed a different approach and had time to think over these twists in the tale and stuff. If you just keep writing, there will probably be readers :D

After all, what else do we have to do?

Egads! I'll probably have children in high school by then... find a way to reach the fifties quicker than real time, TheHyphenated1! :p

TheHyphenated1 said:
diziziz (2) - I do enjoy all the speculation, but I really cannot help but squash one theory -- Hitler has not been sent a bodyguard from the future. If he was sent a bodyguard from the future, though, the bodyguard would look and sound exactly like Arnold Schwarzenegger :rofl: .

Notice how TheHyphenated1 rebuffed this theory because it was too far fetched. However the other theories I had presented weren't rebuffed which means that they weren't far fetched. But time travel as a plot device is a far fetched thing in itself which can only mean that in relation to this story my time travel theories weren't far fetched. Which means that there must've been a grain of truth to them.

Great AAR by the way.

Last edited:
diziziz said:
Notice how TheHyphenated1 rebuffed this theory because it was too far fetched. However the other theories I had presented weren't rebuffed which means that they weren't far fetched. But time travel as a plot device is a far fetched thing in itself which can only mean that in relation to this story my time travel theories weren't far fetched. Which means that there must've been a grain of truth to them.
Anybody have that smiley that bangs its head against a wall?

Hello all. Unfortunately, my normal internet is down. Chapter II, Part VII should be up tomorrow. Sorry for the delay :eek:o .

Kurt_Steiner - Today such obsessions with size are usually believed to be compensatory for deficiencies in other areas.

Pinkspider (1), Ironhewer, SeleucidRex - Not to worry, things will pick up speed :)

diziziz, dublish, Pinkspider (2) - That was certainly not the signal I meant to convey. What I did mean to convey is that even though the Time Travel Theory about the manuscript is far-fetched (and frankly inconsistent with the overall tone of the story), it nonetheless encourages wide and enjoyable speculation about one of the story's central questions. The reason that I squashed the Bodyguard From The Future Theory is that not to squash it would be to encourage speculation about something that could potentially distract from the tone of the story. Don't let that get you down, though, diziziz -- most of your speculation is still quite productive ;) .

Chapter II: Part VII

Chapter II: The Gambit of the West

Part VII

March 7, 1936

The wind whipped over the steel gray waters of the Channel, biting Walter Friedmann’s face as he leaned over the railing of the HMS Exeter. He had been sent back to England, this time to assess and influence the political situation in Westminster. It had immediately become clear that the Führer’s speech of February fourth had deeply divided sentiment in Britain. The Times had termed it “An undeniably reasonable appeal … which the world must accept in good faith, leaving the bitterness of 1914 behind.” The New York Times had declared: “Mr. Hitler has extended a clear and sensible olive branch, in which lies the best hope for continued peace.” Where at the beginning of February there had been growing consensus in favor of war, now parliament was overwhelmingly against preemptive action against Germany.

The day after Hitler’s speech, Baldwin’s government had issued a statement denouncing German aggression in Belgium. Lord Addison had fired back the following week in the Daily Telegraph, calling the statement “The basest form of warmongering and political theater.” Even the Conservative Party itself was riven by indecision -- two Tory members of parliament had scathingly excoriated the Prime Minister in the Commons on the day of Friedmann’s arrival alone.

Friedmann had spent three days meeting with members of the Opposition -- arguing in favor of British nonintervention. Today, he had obtained a meeting -- ostensibly about German exports to his constituency of Limehouse -- with the Leader of His Majesty’s Loyal Opposition, Clement Attlee, who was onboard the Exeter to observe the condition of the Fleet. They had met on the York class cruiser’s launch, exchanging pleasantries rather formally while the Opposition Leader conversed with a naval officer.

800px-HMS_Exeter_off_Sumatra_in_194.jpg

The HMS Exeter, assigned to the Mediterranean Fleet, sailed with the fleet back to England following the Belgian Crisis.

A siren sounded above and behind Friedmann. He turned to see one of the heavy cruiser’s three 8-inch turrets traversing to port. He followed the line of the line of the barrels. Far out over the water, he made out a small boat bobbing in the sea. The turret’s two guns elevated. The siren sounded again.

The twin blasts threw the German diplomat to his knees. Ears ringing, he turned to port in time to see two white plumes of water fountain up a short distance in front of the boat. Friedmann saw Attlee standing near the bridge with the Exeter’s officers. He seemed to be watching the exercise with sincere interest.

After some time, the siren sounded again. This time, Friedmann’s fingers plugged his ears as the Exeter fired its salvo. One of the shells struck the little vessel, shattering it in a geyser of darkened water. Friedmann could hear cheering from the sailors gathered at the stern.

He glanced back to Attlee, and quickly made his way up to intercept him. He passed several of the seamen on the steep stairway, noting their sallow skin and unhealthy appearance. The contrast against the tanned, fit men of the Kriegsmarine was pronounced.

Clement_Attlee.jpg

Clement Attlee, Leader of His Majesty’s Most Loyal Opposition, 1936.

As Friedmann trotted up beside Attlee, the dapper little politician turned to greet him. “Herr Friedmann. I trust you are impressed with the Royal Navy’s gunnery, no?”

“Absolutely, Mr. Attlee.” Friedmann did not mention having observed gunnery trials for the Admiral Graf Spee in which the pocket battleship had used its six 11-inch guns to sink five target vessels in ten minutes.

“And I will be very frank with you, sir -- there are many in Britain who would like to see those guns used against Germany.”

“I understand. Are you one of them?”

“I would hope not.”

“Good! I am pleased to have your support in pursuit of lasting peace.”

“Do not mistake me, though, Herr Friedmann. I will come out straight away and say that I oppose Nazism, and politically disagree with it. All I am saying is that I hope -- as every sensible person does -- that all this does not come to war.”

The siren sounded again. Friedmann and Attlee passed through an armored door and into an officers’ room just as the Exeter rumbled with another salvo.

A lieutenant arranged chairs and a small table for the two men and excused himself.

“Mr. Attlee,” Friedmann began when they were seated, “I am pleased see that you and I are of like mind. From the perspective of my country, war must be averted at all costs. Unfortunately, the French are dragging the world headlong down that very path.”

“They are understandably distressed by the war in Belgium. If Germany were to invade Ireland, how do you think we would react?”

Friedmann cracked his knuckles. “In abstract, that would be entirely justified. However, if Ireland perpetrated acts of war and terrorism against Britain, I would speculate that under such hypothesis Britain might theoretically take at least some small action against Ireland.”

“Well, the only --”

“Aha! If I recall my history correctly, Britain has in fact done this at least six times -- most recently in the Anglo-Irish War.”

“Well, I --”

“And have gone to war for far more trifling reasons in India, South Africa and other places across the globe.”

Attlee tugged at his moustache. “I do not deny that there is some truth in that. Nonetheless, in the face of any further German aggression, I will no longer be able to oppose war.”

“I am fully concordant with your concern.” Friedmann paused, judging how best to phrase his offer. “If the Opposition remains steadfast in its, well, opposition --” Attlee seemingly did not find the attempt at second-language humor very successful “-- to war, I can assure you that no war will come from Germany.”

“Nor will it come from Britain.”

A muffled salvo rattled the table.

“I hope that you will inform His Majesty of the content of our discussion. Prime Minister Baldwin must not be the only voice heard on this issue. All I ask is that Britain does not make itself party to any preemptive war in Europe.”

“I shall.”

“It comforts me that there are men in Britain like you, Mr. Attlee.”

“I have a question for you now, Herr Friedmann.”

“Of course.”

“Are you yourself a Nazi?”

“I am not.” It was the truth, whether or not the Opposition Leader believed it.

Attlee pursed his lips. Friedmann decided not to let him dwell on that question. “Here are the export reports, Mr. Attlee. Peruse them at your leisure.”

He tucked the folder into his jacket without looking at it. “Thank you for speaking with me, Herr Friedmann, and good day.”

Friedmann shook the Briton’s hand and followed him back out onto the gangway just as another salvo split the air. From the cheers of the men on the other side of the ship, it was a hit.

Sitting in the launch puttering back to shore, Friedmann counted four wrecked target boats. The Lion, he saw, may have been sickly, but was not yet toothless. He would cable von Neurath as soon as possible to request more time to try to keep it out of the war.

Last edited:
Ah the British military forces, perpetually in decline, as always.

Oh, and I think you meant [His] Majesty’s Most Loyal Opposition, 1936. ;)

English Patriot - *smacks self* Well-spotted sir! I do hope I'm not starting to slip ;) Caption now reads correctly.

Commander-DK - Two reasons probably include Anglo-Saxon skin's relative resistance to tanning and the fact that HMS Exeter sailed from the south in the depth of winter. I'll admit, though, Jesper -- it's people like you that keep me honest :p .