• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Now for our second interlude/speculation sort of thingamabopper (anyone who can think of a better name feel free to suggest one).

Last time, you speculated on the futures of specific characters. This time, we'll look at the present actions of the characters. Answer as many as you like.

Which of the characters do you think has behaved most honorably? Which of the characters has behaved most dishonorably?

Which of the characters seems most intelligent? Who seems least intelligent?

Which character has taken the greatest risk so far? Who has suffered the worst setback?

I look forward to your responses!

Honorably: i think general Beck, for admitting his knowledge of the plot. on the other hand, that was probably his best prospect.
Dishonorably: Hitler, for lying to the world... and the whole "invasion/mass murder thing" too, i suppose.

Intelligent: Reinert, or Canaris.
Stupid: Amiot, the french Diplomat.

Risk: I'd say Reinert again for going against Hitler and the SD.
Setback: Lossner for sure. Getting killed bites :rofl: .

Now I think... about Hitler's charming behaviour... not having Morrell around helps. Getting rid of Bormann was also a clever trick, for some reasons that we know :D (or we should know).

Honourable - I would definately say Beck, perhaps Reinert too, since he did manage to rescue his friend from certain death

Dishonourable - I would say Hitler, but the problem is, he's a politician, he's meant to lie ;)

Intelligent - Reinert, definately, Hitler's plans are just wild even if they work :D

Rather silly - The French diplomats for getting themselves caught like that, Eden might be another candidate, the German's really pulled a fast one on both of them :D

Risk - Reinert again, like you said, he risked death, haha thats pretty risky in my book.

Setback - Lossner, he died, and didn't achieve much because of it.

TheHyphenated1 said:
“How many times have I told you, General? France will not attack. Of this I am as certain as I am that I have five fingers!”

von Rundstedt paused, with a strange expression across his face. “You have ten fingers, Führer.”

Hitler stared at his senior field commander. Scholl gulped. Has he gone too far?

“I meant,” the Führer began calmly, “five fingers on each hand.”
This makes me think France will attack, in fact I'm almost sure of it. Since Hitler states that:

TheHyphenated1 said:
Of this I am as certain as I am that I have five fingers!”
But as Rundstedt pointed out, he doesn't. This I think is clever forshadowing that France will attack because Hitler would be wrong in the same fashion. Also the fact is that it would be a boring AAR if we were going to have peace for a long time.

Hitler will be taken by surprise, but he will use his future tactics of Blitzkrieg which he had gained from Weltkriegschaft, to defeat France, effectively surprising everyone.

diziziz said:
Hitler will be taken by surprise, but he will use his future tactics of Blitzkrieg which he had gained from Weltkriegschaft, to defeat France, effectively surprising everyone.

But maybe there will be increased dissent among the German people/general staff when Hitler starts to make misjudgements of this scale

Chapter II: Part V

Chapter II: The Gambit of the West

Part V

February 17, 1936

Fr. Martin Kappel gazed out a third-floor window of the IG Farben Building. Frankfurt twinkled below in the gathering dusk. There was such contrast between the harsh lighting of the offices and the living, breathing metropolis.

“Herr Schmidt?” It was his host, IG Farben senior scientist Artur Weinstadt.

“The city is beautiful tonight, Artur.”

“It is, it is.”

“Tell me, Artur. Are you religious?”

“Not particularly.”

“Do you ever wonder why you are here on Earth?

Weinstadt sighed. “It would only drive me mad to wonder about a thing that I cannot know.”

Kappel turned from the window, looking deeply into the scientist’s eyes. “Your children, Artur. How old are they now?”

“Six, eight and eleven.”

“In seven years your eldest will be a soldier. Do you really think peace will wait that long?”

“I always believed, Herr Schmidt, that the war would be over by the time my family was sucked into it. After all, even the World War lasted less than four and a half years.”

“You remember our talks, though, Artur. Hitler is not a Kaiser or even a Bismarck -- he is a Bonaparte. Napoleon’s ambition plunged Europe into fifteen years of war and brought France to total ruin.”

“It’s too dangerous. I cannot do it again.”

“Walk with me.”

Weinstadt turned off the office lights and locked the door, followed into the hallway by the man he knew as Paul Schmidt. Weinstadt raised an eyebrow, but Kappel shook his head. They reached the end of the corridor and took the paternoster lifts to the building’s opulent lobby. All but a few of the IG Farben employees had already gone home, and each footfall echoed on the fine marble floor. Weinstadt presented his credentials to the doormen and the two men passed under the large portico and onto the wide lawns of the complex.

ig4.jpg

The IG Farben Building, constructed in 1930, was the largest and most modern office building in Europe.

Kappel led him to a stone bench on the deserted grounds. “Artur, I realize the risks that you have run. Of course I do. But as you well know, you have already extended yourself fatally far. Another step will not change things for the worse now, but has a real chance of saving everything.”

Weinstadt lit a cigarette. “What went wrong with the first batch?”

“I have no better idea than you do. One thing I do know is that the package was assembled by a man with no experience of such matters.”

“What do you mean?” The scientist eyed Kappel darkly from behind horn-rimmed eyeglasses.

“I mean someone who had never handled so much as a firecracker.”

Weinstadt flung the cigarette to the ground. “I risked my life for that! My family!”

“Keep your voice down,” hissed Kappel.

“Alright. I risked my life to get exactly what you needed. The theft could be discovered at any hour of any day, and so I run that risk again and again and again.”

“Next time, someone with more experience will assemble the package. I promise.”

“Can’t you get some other kind of explosive?”

“Not readily, and not for what we need.”

Weinstadt buried his face in his hands. It was almost fully dark. “I’m sorry. What you’ve said is right, but it is simply too great a risk. Didn’t you see what happened to the people that tried to kill Hitler at Berchtesgaden? Shot!”

In truth, Weinstadt had run a far greater risk than even he could imagine. In fabricating his bomb, Lössner had packed the highly powerful PETN-13 loosely into a heavy paper shell along with primary explosive and an improvised fuse. When the bomb fizzled, Kappel had learned, Sicherheitsdienst agents set about dissecting it, trying to trace the materials back to their source. The precious kilograms of high explosive had contained chemical fingerprints directly traceable to IG Farben companies. Kappel had learned of the discreet SD searches and interrogations at a munitions plant, but chosen not to share this information with Weinstadt, as it would only frighten him.

Kappel clenched his jaw, deliberating whether to tell Weinstadt that the man who had assembled the bomb inexpertly had paid with his life at Konradshöhe. He decided to err on the side of caution. The aftermath of Operation Brutus had been too devastating to allow such carelessness. Still, the explosive was too important. Putting a man in fear is no sin.

“Artur, if you do not want to go further I will have to understand. However, you are a risk to us for what you already know. Believe me when I say that I want no harm to come to you, but if you do not act, eventually they will catch you. When they do catch you, they will torture you in ways that you cannot even imagine. You will tell them everything you know about me -- all the things I trusted you with. From this, many men other then yourself, and many families other than your own will be destroyed. Why should we risk that?”

“Is that a threat?”

“I hope not, Artur.”

The scientist had a distant look in his eye. “I will give you what you need.”

“Good. When can you have it?”

“A month. Maybe more. I will try.”

“Thank you, Artur.”

Weinstadt spotted the still-burning cigarette on the ground and stamped it out. Without another word, he slipped off the bench and was swallowed up by the darkness of the grounds. Alone once more, Kappel looked into the night sky and breathed a silent prayer for the man who would again risk everything for him.

Last edited:
They're determined to get rid of Hitler... but der Führer has also his mind on getting rid of them... :D

I hoping on the plotters, but I'd bet on Hitler.

seconded, Ironhewer. the trouble is, the plotters are complete amateurs.

SeleucidRex said:
seconded, Ironhewer. the trouble is, the plotters are complete amateurs.

And I second that. Truth is, if the Abwehr doesn't lend a hand the plot will fail. On the other hand in RL 1938 one single man constructed a bomb that was to explode behind Hitler while me made a speech in the Beer cellar in Munich, but unfortunately Hitler left early... :(

What I want to say is that with a bit of luck they can succeed, but also fail miserably if it fails them.

Info here.

I've done one like that.

Linky

I still consider this my best AAR, as it is the only one where I am 100% satisfied with everything.

diziziz - This chapter contains the answers ;)

Pinkspider (1) - One can hope. Historically, this took quite a while.

Kurt_Steiner - Indeed! And therein lies the problem.

Pinkspider (2) - Perhaps a scoring recap will illustrate: Hitler - 1, Reinickendorf Circle - 0. :p

Ironhewer - Your bet is noted, sir!

SeleucidRex - An excellent point, SeleucidRex! Philosophy professors, priests, actors and miscellaneous intellectuals have an uphill battle against people who actually foil these sorts of plots for a living.

trekaddict (1) - Thanks, trekaddict. The article should be of keen interest to readers.

Pinkspider (3) - A fair point, but remember -- even though this is a story, my two primary canons are realism and the game (however deeply buried it might be :rolleyes: ). Neither real life nor Paradox Games always provide the most exciting outcome, but a knowledge of history and a love of HoI2 both tell me that they usually do ;)

trekaddict (2) - I haven't gotten to it yet, trekaddict, but I hope to soon and encourage Weltkriegschaft readers to take a look.

Man still plotting, and its right in the aftermath of the earlier assassination attempt..

English Patriot said:
Man still plotting, and its right in the aftermath of the earlier assassination attempt..

Man is the only plotter who plots twice in the some conspiration :D