• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter II: Part I

Chapter II: The Gambit of the West

Part I

February 5, 1936

The streets of London were frosted with snow as Charles Randall tipped his cab driver and climbed the stairs to the unassuming Aldersgate office of the Secret Intelligence Service. On entering, he presented his newly-issued credentials to the doorman, who directed him to the third-floor offices of a Thomas Condon, VC. Randall climbed the stairs, finding Condon’s office at the end of a long corridor. He knocked. “Enter,” came the voice from within.

The office was not small, but was so filled with shelves and cabinets so as to feel distinctly cramped. A man in his forties with sandy-gray hair, Condon at once seemed likeable to Randall. He had classically Saxon features, and an altogether healthy look -- a growing rarity in Britain.

“My name is Charles Randall, I was directed to speak with you. Alan Baldwin brought me on this past Monday.”

“Good! Tom Condon.” He held out his hand. “Do pull up that -- oh dear.” Randall had pulled up a seat for himself across Condon’s desk, causing the collapse of a precariously-stacked pile of folders. “Just leave them, Charles.”

“Sorry.”

“Quite alright. So according to the letter they sent me, you’ve been assigned to this humble corner of Christendom due to particular knowledge of human psychology. Correct?”

“I reckon so, sir. That’s what my degree is in, at least, and I spent three years in the twenties in Heidelberg working with Dr. Verzlig in his research on the psychology of lying.”

“Oho!” Condon roared, “then how do I know you’re not lying to me about having even been to Germany?”

“Well, if I hadn’t gone to Heidelberg I wouldn’t have learned how to lie well enough to convince you that I’d gone in the first place.”

“Well played, Charles. I like your reasoning.”

“Thank you.”

“Now I suppose you’re going to be wanting to set about catching foreign spies, but sadly things have been rather different since the War. There have been relatively few attempts to place agents in the Home Islands, and most of our own espionage has been diplomatic in nature. About the closest this office comes to anything that glamorous is sharing a maid with Sir Richard.”

“Sir Richard, sir?”

“Turnstyle. The real spymaster. The best use you’ll have here for your talents is rounding up all the mendacious buggers who keep making off with my ink.” Condon laughed.

“I see. What will my actual duties entail?”

“Right then. John Pierson is working on profiling some of the German leadership, actually. He can use all the trained men he can get, and I expect you can do the most good with him. Come on, I’ll take you down there now.”

Condon rose and led Randall down to the second floor. They passed through a large open workspace where a dozen professional-looking women worked mechanically at their typewriters. At last they came to a private office with its door ajar. “John? The new psychologist is here.”

In seconds, a wiry old man appeared. Condon introduced Randall, and the three men entered an office even more cluttered than Condon’s own.

“Well I must say that I’m glad to have you, Charles. The work is rather dull, but peacetime does not exactly lend itself to danger and gallantry.”

Randall frowned. “What about Belgium? Will we not be stepping up intelligence work on the Continent in light of the war?”

“Hah.” Condon shook his head. “That, Charles, was not so much a war as a conflict. After Hitler’s speech yesterday, sentiment in Parliament is so divided we’ll be lucky if we’re not ordered to reduce intelligence work in Germany.”

Pierson grasped Randall’s hand. “Alright. I shall expect you tomorrow at eight. I’ll have Briley move another desk into the office and we’ll begin work then.”

Randall nodded his thanks. “Mr. Condon, I’ll be in tomorrow, then. Anything else?”

“Not at the moment. I look forward to it, Charles.”

The men shook hands and parted, Randall making his way down the stairs and onto the street. The afternoon air had a chill to it, and he found himself furiously rubbing his hands together to stay warm. Three blocks away, he slipped into a red telephone box.

When he had been connected, the line rang several times before being picked up. He could hear breathing on the other end. “Emma, please don’t be cross. I called as soon as I could.”

A pleasant female voice laughed. “Oh Charles, you know I’d wait here for hours for you to call.”

“I know, darling. I’ve got to pick up some groceries on the way to your flat, though.”

“That’s fine Charles. What are you getting?”

“I’m going to buy eggs, raisins, flour, onions, lard, and grapefruit.”

“Very good. See you at five, then?”

“See you then, darling.”

Randall hung up the phone. By dinner time, Adolf Hitler himself had been informed of the good news.

Last edited:
A double agent?

I would have never thought... The darling and pleasant Emma a German spy :D

Very nice. The double agent is going to have a devastating effect on Britain I presume.

Or on the other hand you didn't characterise him enough for hime to be long-lasting character, so.....

Damn. I'm confused.... :confused:

Too many characters, too many characters, brain overload, going to explode, going to ex..., BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!

On another note, Hitler is so full of awesomeness in this AAR, I wonder if he is going to be a better commander then his generals.

Just when I thought, "Yea, my comments are having a positive impact on the story!" BAM! You hit us with the double agents! A most excellent twist.

Oh well, I wouldn't want to be Charlie Randall when the War breaks out and the XX Committee turns him or else he suffers a very tragic accident. You know, he's cleaning an unloaded pistol and shoots himself twice in the head from across the room. Most tragic when those things happen. Most tragic.

Spy intrigues are always fun to read. And a double agent! What a twist! :wacko:

diziziz said:
On another note, Hitler is so full of awesomeness in this AAR, I wonder if he is going to be a better commander then his generals.
My guess is that he'll avoid having a mid-war breakdown, and instead leave the important stuff to his generals while keeping the proper political controls in place to ensure their loyalty. That's what he'll try, at any rate- Canaris' shadow games might throw a wrench into the works at some point.

Randall's placement in the British intelligence community makes me wonder if the tables will be turned vis a vis the general intelligence advantage the Allied had during the war. TheHyphenated1 certainly knows how to create opportunities for future mischief...

Ironhewer said:
Just when I thought, "Yea, my comments are having a positive impact on the story!" BAM! You hit us with the double agents! A most excellent twist.

Oh well, I wouldn't want to be Charlie Randall when the War breaks out and the XX Committee turns him or else he suffers a very tragic accident. You know, he's cleaning an unloaded pistol and shoots himself twice in the head from across the room. Most tragic when those things happen. Most tragic.

*Shakes head sadly* Most tragic indeed.

Wow! This is superb stuff, TheHyphenated1. I'm only on January 17 (aka page 8), but I cannot wait to catch up. Love the plot and I'm dying to learn more about the author of Weltkriegschaft.

Vann

dublish - Thank you most kindly!

Ironhewer - Correct, and the Allies do not have that particular advantage this time around.

Kurt_Steiner - :eek:

Commander-DK - And spy they will!

Deus - Thank you! An interesting hypothesis about the characterization ;) . Time will tell.

diziziz - Yeah, sorry... not a whole lot that can be done about that. But take heart in one thing -- after a certain point, characters will die or pass out of the main plot at about the same rate as new ones are introduced, so you won't find yourself in 1940 with hundreds of characters to keep straight simultaneously.

Ironhewer - My thanks! And it is... tragic indeed.

rcduggan - Welcome back, sir!

dublish - Ever perceptive there. Your guesses remain consistently logical and educated; of that there can be no doubt.

Connavar - Thanks for reading and commenting, I'm glad you enjoy it. As to the shopping list, congratulations on your sharp eye. Help yourself to an Iron Cross 3rd Class :) .

trekaddict - *plays violin melodramatically*

Vann the Red - Thank you and thank you :D . The authorship of Weltkriegschaft (the book referenced in Part II of the Prologue, not the AAR itself, for those just catching up) is one of the central questions of the story. So while I can't tell you that the question will be neatly answered by April '36, I can assure you that it will be addressed over time and that I haven't forgotten it!

TheHyphenated1 said:
dublish - Ever perceptive there. Your guesses remain consistently logical and educated; of that there can be no doubt.
If you'll excuse the continued sucking up, your AAR is one of the few which are plotted tightly enough to warrant such reasoning.

If this were one of the increasingly common "Hitler-kicks-it-on-the-first-day-of-the-1944-scenario-what-will-happen-next?!" AARs (no offense to those of course- Exterous and Remble's were great, and DvD-IT's isn't half bad either), I wouldn't be nearly as interested in the way things turned out.

On entering, he presented his newly-issued credentials to the doorman, who directed him to the third-floor offices of a Thomas Condon, VC.

nice updates! will we learn of Thomas Condon's battlefield heroism?

and, I'm heading over to vote for you in the Aarland Choice Awards, and encourage others to do the same :D .

I think dublish and I are next in line for these Iron Crosses that you seem to be handing out lately ;)

Yay! More characters! :cool:

Don't listen to those wimpy readaars who complain...make this like War and Peace! And by that I mean the several page long character reference at the beginning of the work, not the preachy chapters Tolstoy foisted on us...

TheExecuter

Hello all:

I'll be out of town until Friday, and hope to have the next installment up sometime late Friday night. Apologies for the 2-3 day lapse.

In the meanwhile, I've been thinking of ways to engage more reader involvement and interaction -- the discussions and speculation that already go on are fantastic.

I thought back to the endings of so many series -- literary and television alike -- and realized that right after the ending, just about everyone seems to claim to have "seen that coming all along".

With that in mind, I thought it would be a good idea for all the speculationistas (as Stephen Colbert would say) to get a few prognostications on record long before the curtain closes.

So over the next few days, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the ultimate fates of:

Admiral Canaris
Eddi Althaus
Karl Freiherr von Yorck
Walter Friedmann
Werner von Fritsch

Good luck, and thank you all for your continued readership and interest!

And a few individual comments:

dublish - Sucking up is something I excuse quite readily ;)

SeleucidRex - It's not central to the plot, but may come out in passing at some point. As to the voting, thank you! On the other hand, pinning an Iron Cross 1st Class upon you the next day might start to smack of a "Votes-for-Honours" scandal ;) I'll be sure to keep everyone in mind!

TheExecuter - As to War and Peace, I'm doing my best about the War part, at least ;)

Last edited:
rcduggan said:
Spy intrigues are always fun to read. And a double agent! What a twist! :wacko:

But what if MI6/MI5 know that he is a double agent? And they are really using him to feed false information to ze Germans? :eek:

That would be a great plot twist... :D

:) Jesper

P.S. I am also heading over to vote for this great story!

My guess on Canaris is: He either ends up dead as per RL or is a big player in a post-Nazi Military gouverment.

Ok, I'm about to start Chapter 1, Part XX. Still most impressed with your writing. One thing that niggles at me is that your opponents are really, really foolish and gullible. Now, those adjectives describe Germany's adversaries well at the same time, but I'd like a little more explanation of why they fall so completely for all of the Abwehr's ploys.

Can't wait to catch up!

Vann

TheHyphenated1 said:
Admiral Canaris
Eddi Althaus
Karl Freiherr von Yorck
Walter Friedmann
Werner von Fritsch

About Canaris... I feel that, unless Hitler manages to win the admiral to his side, goold old Canaris is going to end up in Flossenburg earlier than expected.

Unless Adolf manages some way to use him in his profit.

If Hitler is still willinmg to break the spirit of Zossen and to direct himself the Wehrmacht, von Fritsch has to go. If Hitler is wise as it seems and keeps himself away from the army, von Fristch may have some interesting future.

About the rest... I have to reread a bit...