• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And "La Jeanne" was a historical Free French Naval Forces (FNFL) ship, so good pick! :)

I wonder if Hausser will not rue his decision to abandon the port - sure it's untenable, but doesn't that condemn him to running wild in Ireland without any hope to be resupplied or evacuated? With full control of the seas, it shouldn't be too difficult for Britain to seize Irish ports (and therefore major cities) one by one.

There must be some serious nail-biting going on at the HKK. Shall they try to send more troops, at the risk of losing them as well, shall they try to extricate Hausser, at the risk of important losses in ships (and untransportable tanks), or shall they leave Hausser to his own device and focus on writing a division-sized obituary?

General Hausser must regret the fields of France and the canals of Holland right now!

Last edited:
Forebonding? Is that some strange form of S&M that I am (thankfully) unaware of? :eek:

S&M? Not yet, thanks. I'm not so deep in Britishness...:D

Thanks!

Hausser's only consolation is that when it comes to sending troops to Ireland, the British have very little wherewithal to send much more than is already there, at least for a few weeks. The good news for him, though, is that Belfast, Cobh and Castletownbere are all more defensible than Galway, if and when he can capture them. Lough Swilly was naturally a very good defensive position, but it had immediately become clear that they simply didn't have enough guns or heavy enough guns (because the battery at Lenan Head had been destroyed beyond repair) to defend it.

At HKK I would say the mood is primarily toward letting him to his own devices. They know that they just have to focus on pulling of Löwengrube successfully, which would naturally save Hausser. If they don't do that, even the loss of Hausser and his panzers will seem insignificant.

Quite frankly, he can win all he likes if the writing stays this excellent and intriguing. Hoping to see more soon.

You're too kind, Metroid :D.

In other news, I figured I might as well say who the Dutch Major is, before it's no longer relevant.

Historically, Oreste Pinto, the man who Eisenhower called "the greatest living expert on security" went on to very similar exploits after the fall of his country in 1940. His memoir, Spycatcher, provides fascinating insight into the brilliance and danger of the man's career. For anyone interested in reading about the Dutch Major's career as it "might have been" if the war hadn't started early, I cannot recommend the book enough.

So, Hausser is ashore and is grabbing what he can...though, realistically, once his panzers run out of fuel and ammo (I doubt there is a factory in Ireland that can produce ammunition for his panzers)...he is sunk.

The invasion of Britain must be carried out quickly, while the Royal Navy is out quashing this diversion...it is a diversion isn't it? You do have more transports...don't you?

Because...if not...then Seelowe (Lowengrube) is out...and all those panzers on Ireland are worthless, even IF you manage to hold the island.

TheExecuter

With available stores and goods that can reasonably be obtained in Ireland (ammunition not being among these, and fuel only to a limited degree), Hausser's force can remain effective for something on the order of 14-20 more days, with 5-6 of those being days of considerable fighting.

Yes, there are more transports. The only trouble is, as von Küchler mentions two updates ago, as things now stand they'll only have enough shipping to sustain two instead of three landings.

Yes, there are more transports. The only trouble is, as von Küchler mentions two updates ago, as things now stand they'll only have enough shipping to sustain two instead of three landings.

And I'm sure the loss of a few nice big liners didn't help anything. The fast reaction of the RN must surely have raised the stakes of the invasion of England- the anti-invasion faction in Berlin could only take Galway and Lough Swilly as evidence of the naval supremacy Britain enjoys, while the the pro-invasion faction knows swift action is the only thing that can save Hausser's command. Hitler rendered the argument moot, of course, but an invasion of England doesn't destroy the Royal Navy.

Bonus Photo: Fairey Swordfish in flight over Hong Kong. Fleet Air Arm torpedo tests conducted in the summer with the aim off ascertaining carrier planes' effectiveness against a potential invasion force showed troubling inconsistency in the arming mechanisms.

HongKong824.jpg

Nice update Hype........being mostly German, but with a twinge o' the Irish in me, Im pulling for the Huns and Free Irish.....

Hey, as a side note...........my daughter's name is "Danae".....I told her about the British cruiser (??) with her name......she was surprised...we have only met 4-5 girls with that name since her birth in early 90's.............Nice touch.....

By the way Hype, you playing HOI3 yet?? Im trying, it has some bugs....harder concepts to grasp, but lots of good stuff (HQ design, build your own Div's, etc).

Keep the updates coming.

KLorberau

We have Germans on Irish soil! :D That means we'll have Germans in London in due time!

Certainly the Royal Navy must be in a panic and getting ridiculed by the Royal Admiralty for allowing German ships and soldiers to land in Ireland!

We have Germans on Irish soil! :D That means we'll have Germans in London in due time!

Certainly the Royal Navy must be in a panic and getting ridiculed by the Royal Admiralty for allowing German ships and soldiers to land in Ireland!

On the other hand, they might end up being the only fleet ever to defeat an armored division, if they keep Hausser trapped on the Emerald Isle. His only chance seems to see another landing succeed, and now that the Irish gambit must have put every naval officer in the United Kingdom in a "they're coming!" mood, I wonder what is going to happen.

dublish - Quite true, quite true.

KLorberau - Thanks! And what a coincidence! I've not yet started HoI3 -- but I plan to as soon as I can find some time ;).

volksmarschall - At least they were able to take control of the sea quickly, which is what they're best at.

Atlantic Friend - Yes indeed. But as navy men they'd also be more apt to anticipate an invasion in spring with calmer seas.

The Good News: I now have in my possession a copy of the Wehrmacht's day-by-day records for the whole war.

The Bad News: They are in German.

The Reassuring News: I am learning German.

Which Means: That I will soon be better able to imitate the writing style of Alexis von Rönne and his colleagues at HKK.

In Other News: If all goes well we should see III:XXXIV by the end of the weekend. If possible, I'll put up a few bonus features between now and then. Let me know if you have any requests for things that you'd like to know more about.

Bonus Photo: Bristol Bulldog in the skies above England, color photo. The air attack over the south made routine resistance impossible as 1936 wore on, leading ADGB commanders to only commit fighters in the most desperate of situations.

bulldog001.jpg

The real concern is if the Irish expedition can survive and still be supplied if the RN is going to be in the neighborhood. I highly doubt the Luftwaffe has the capability to undertake those duties if needed, so the HKK needs to think of something fast to get the RN split up.

Hello All,

Sorry to say that this is not an update. A few real life factors have unexpectedly gotten in the way of this latest update, but I've far from forgotten this, and will post the next update as soon as I can devote the focus necessary to make it worth reading. Thanks for your patience!

TH1

Hype,

We eagerly anticipate the newest update.........when I can pull my way away from HOI3 I cannot say (hahaha).......even with the bugs I find it enjoyable.....but very different than HOI2......which I loved to death.

Hope all is well with you.

KLorberau

The Good News: I now have in my possession a copy of the Wehrmacht's day-by-day records for the whole war.

The Bad News: They are in German.

The Reassuring News: I am learning German.

Which Means: That I will soon be better able to imitate the writing style of Alexis von Rönne and his colleagues at HKK.

In Other News: If all goes well we should see III:XXXIV by the end of the weekend. If possible, I'll put up a few bonus features between now and then. Let me know if you have any requests for things that you'd like to know more about.

Kick ass. I'd rather have the enormous maps they made every day, but written records isn't half bad.