+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 96 FirstFirst ... 11 36 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 86 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1916

Thread: Weltkriegschaft

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_Steiner View Post
    A British biplane? A Gladiator?

Well, better a Gladiator than a Camel...
    Last we heard, the British were using Gloster Gauntlets. I don't know if they can be outfitted with bombs...

Of course, last we heard, the British had less than 150 fighters to defend all of Britain, let alone raid the Netherlands.

And speaking of fighters, whatever happened to Ihlefeld? Is he languishing in a POW camp somewhere?

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron Cross
    Leviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Cruel Brits!
    Someone shoot those bastards down!

Europa Universalis 3

Shuttling back and forth between work and that someone special...
    Good scene...I felt the heat of summer and the farcical urgency of actually having to FIGHT those idiots in the allies using such antiquated means to...try...to...KILL...ME!

Seriously, an 1860s riverboat? Did this kind of thing actually happen?

Looking forward to seeing those roundels again!
    TheExecuter
    The Last Mission A Love Story

There is no way to peace along the way of safety. For peace must be dared, it is itself the great venture and can never be safe. Peace is the opposite of security. To demand guarantees is to want to protect oneself. Peace means giving oneself completely to God's commandment, wanting no security, but in faith and obedience laying the destiny of the nations in the hand of almighty God, not trying to direct it for selfish purposes. Battles are won, not with weapons, but with God. They are won when the way leads to the cross.

frigidmagi - Indeed. Welcome and thanks for commenting!

KLorberau - Thank you! Well Heilmann is under orders to try to break out on foot to German lines if not reached soon.

dublish (1) - Yes, this is certainly a setback. Interesting thoughts about Eddi. He's innocent, but I think in a somehow worldly way. Going by pure war story tropes, people like that usually end up either wind up with a bullet through the head or blown up, but of course you know how I try to discourage meta-thinking .

trekaddict (1) - Heh.

dublish (2) - If a position opens up at the Reich Ministry for Public Enlightenment and Propaganda, I'll let you know .

trekaddict (2) -

dublish (3), trekaddict (3) - Oh, the repartee!

Kurt_Steiner - Gladiator development has been sidelined in favor of monoplane designs. The Hawker Hurricane, as it happens, is scheduled to be delivered to squadrons in spring or summer of 1937.

dublish (4) - The planes in III:XX are actually Vildebeests. Less than 150 fighters means less than 150 in J.M. Steel's ADGB. As Baldwin assured parliament, more planes from throughout the Empire are being sent to the Home Islands. Also, 150 only counts aircraft considered useful in a defensive role. At the start of the Netherlands Campaign, Britain has deployed some of these planes that were just then being transferred. The Vildebeests, for example, come from the newly-reactivated No.42 Squadron from Scotland. Ihlefeld is indeed languishing - the British have made much about capturing Germany's first and initially most prominent ace.

Enewald - They're trying to!

TheExecuter - Thank you kindly! The riverboat is actually 1880s vintage, but yes. Of course, it would have looked more like the vessel shown in the foreground of the bridge picture than a classical American riverboat from the Mississippi. The Netherlands armed these hastily as part of their Southern Defense - to protect a frontier they never expected to defend.
    Weltkriegschaft
    The Alternate History of the Third Reich

HoI1/2/3 Favorite Narrative AAR: Q1 2008 & Q3 2008 & Q2 2009, Best Character Writer of the Week: 18/5/08 & 10/11/08
    Weekly AAR Showcase: 12/10/08, WritAAR of the Week: 05/08/08,
    Canonized on 08-06-08

Ee! The ground war begins! Took you long enough :P.

Mahler is one of my favorite characters, and I always enjoy Eddi. I'm wondering though whether the riverboat would have simply been able to destroy the bridge, rather than wait to shoot at the Germans as they crossed.
    "The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat."

-- Albert Einstein

Iron Cross 1st Class (Weltkriegschaft)

I'm hoping to start writing a narrative AAR of my own sometime soon. Any suggestions?

SeleucidRex - Yes, they're great characters to write. The riverboat would not have been able to destroy the bridge with its guns, however. The British aircraft were specifically equipped for the task.

Happy 50,000 Views, everyone! A hearty thanks to all the readers that have made this possible!
    Weltkriegschaft

HoI1/2/3 Favorite Narrative AAR: Q1 2008 & Q3 2008 & Q2 2009, Best Character Writer of the Week: 18/5/08 & 10/11/08
    Canonized on 08-06-08

A bonus photo -- the Luftwaffe rains down destruction upon Fortress Holland. View from the cockpit of a Ju-52.

Weltkriegschaft

Canonized on 08-06-08

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in MotionCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDungeonlandEast India Company CollectionEU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneImpireEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron Cross
    Leviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty II CollectionMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Everyone, remember to vote in the ACA!

Quote Originally Posted by TheHyphenated1 View Post
    A bonus photo -- the Luftwaffe rains down destruction upon Fortress Holland. View from the cockpit of a Ju-52.

Holland?

*squints*

They get a lot of snow in Holland in September?

Crusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIISemper Fi

Nice..........did the entire company fall into the river? Unfortunate bastards......weighed down with equipment and all. I think I would rather die in a hail of bullets / shells than drown.......I wince everytime I see Saving Private Ryan during the initial assault on Omaha Beach and the GIs jump in the water to get away from the fire of the MG42s.......only to drown....................

KLorberau
    Bessie Braddock: “Sir, you are drunk.”
    Churchill: “Madam, you are ugly. In the morning, I shall be sober.”

PM Winston Churchill

Fan of the Week November 14, 2012
    Fan of the Week. April 8, 2013

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyDarkest HourHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by dublish View Post
    Holland?

*squints*

Looks more like sand and rock to me.
    "That's right, Adolf. The British are coming." - The Eleventh Doctor
    "My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
    Against all Odds: The British Empire in World War Two (ongoing) Last updated 04/27/14 Index - Index 2 - Index 3 - Knowledgebase -
    Inkwell Entry - Now with added obscure Doctor Who references - Visit the Dictionary!

Possibly the world's most British German as awarded by El Pip here.

Quote Originally Posted by trekaddict View Post
    Looks more like sand and rock to me.
    My mistake. I should have recognized the famous beaches of Friesland.

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyDarkest HourHearts of Iron III
    Europa Universalis IV

I was thinking North Africa. But then again, they aren't painted in DAK colours.
    "That's right, Adolf. The British are coming." - The Eleventh Doctor
    "My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right." - Carl Schurz
    Against all Odds: The British Empire in World War Two (ongoing) Last updated 04/27/14 Index - Index 2 - Index 3 - Knowledgebase -
    Inkwell Entry - Now with added obscure Doctor Who references - Visit the Dictionary!

Possibly the world's most British German as awarded by El Pip here.

"Look behind you Mr Caesar !" Atlantic Friend's Avatar
    HoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyDiplomacyHearts of Iron IIISemper Fi
    Victoria 2

At my favorite pub, swirling AAR ideas around...
    Quote Originally Posted by dublish View Post
    Holland?

*squints*

Could be water shining - a flooded area maybe ?

Just ducking in to do what I can to settle the controversy. Based on my best sourcing for this picture, it appears that OTL it was taken somewhere over the Rhine-Meuse-Scheldt delta. From this, I believe what we're seeing is in fact water.
    Weltkriegschaft

Canonized on 08-06-08

Quote Originally Posted by Atlantic Friend View Post
    Could be water shining - a flooded area maybe ?
    That's what I thought at first, but it looks like there are tracks of some kind on the ground.

EDIT: Huh. Color me surprised.

Those strike me as channel buoys of some kind, because of their rounded shape. Based on the apparent altitude of the planes, it would make the tracks of a motor vehicle too small for scale, as it appears to me.
    Weltkriegschaft

Canonized on 08-06-08

Enewald - Thanks for the reminder, Enewald! I'll post a link to the thread soon.

dublish (1) - Haven't we already had a discussion about your monitor settings? =P

KLorberau - Thank you very much as always! Some members of the company managed to stay dry, but many of them suffered even worse fates. Luckily they were traveling fairly light. The biggest problem, as the picture indicates fairly well, I think, is that the Keizersveerbrug was quite tall. Those who landed the wrong way could easily be hurt badly enough not to be able to make their way to the surface and swim to land. That scene from Saving Private Ryan is chilling indeed!

trekaddict (1), dublish (2) -

trekaddict (2) - True enough.

Atlantic Friend - Yes, Atlantic Friend, this seems to be the right track.

dublish (3) - See my previous post. ADDITION: I blew up the picture and studied it closely in photoshop. It's hard to tell anything conclusive but the lines of objects do seem to be round.
    Weltkriegschaft

Canonized on 08-06-08

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3

Just got myself cauhgt up once again. Great updates all around as usual.
    Return to Glory: A Germania AAR
    WritAAR of the week for the week of 6-10-07, Favorite New Writer Overall for Q2 2007, Best Character Writer of the Week 7-18-08

The Grand Duchy of Hesse-Darmstadt: A History

Great to hear from you again, Hardraade! Thank you very much.

III:XXI goes up in roughly fifteen minutes.
    Weltkriegschaft

Canonized on 08-06-08

+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 96 FirstFirst ... 11 36 51 59 60 61 62 63 71 86 ... LastLast