• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Bravo! Once again an excellent update. And yes, I do seem to remember that old EU2 AAR. Didn't someone think they were real poems that had been uncovered? :rofl:

Anyways, good to see France take a beating.

Amric, I would rather see myself ruling southern France only, with west going to Brittany and east to Burgundy. Center, I suppose, can house France proper, if they survive, and some other unfortunate duchies like Orleans and Bourbonnais.

Somehow, I get this weird feeling, this is not going to happen. It is not the first game I tried when I try to break France to pieces. Usually, destroying France means becoming France. Hope this is not the case.

Qorten, same here, if we overcome France, won't we become one? But thank you for the compliment and, trust me, the future holds more suprises.

comagoosie, I'll have to keep up the poetry, of course. This is, after all, the AAR named "Unsung Ballads" :)

demokratickid, wasn't sure I could pull it off in English... still have not convinced myself.

Cyrus_The_Great, yes, you are right. People never cease to amuse me :) France and beating though... this is France we are talking about, her second name is Phoenix.

A bit of luck there with France taking care of your business for you. If you are rally lucky, they may keep doing that. :D

While I am working hard on my next ballad (hopefully, I can make it short and sweet), there's another, somewhat different map to keep your interest up.

1486a.jpg

Close look at Southern France in 1486

Dark Purple - Duchy of Guyenne proper, consists of Perigord, Rouergue and Limousin Counties.
Light Purple - Duchy of Gascogne (still waiting for Counties of Armagnac and Foix (both Light Blue) to join Aquitaini realm), County of Toulouse, Duchy of Languedoc, County of Auvergene and County of Poitou.
Green - Aquitani allies in 1486, both at war with France.
Red - Aquitani sworn enemies, mostly Kingdom of France, Provance and Orleans.
Light Blue - County of Armagnac belongs to Castille, after brief moment of independence from Aragon. County of Foix (southeast of Armagnac) was released of its vassal status by France in 1485.

I plan to officially change the name from archaic Guyenne (Duchy of) to even more ancient Aquitaine (Kingdom of) as soon as the Magna Mundi mod grants me the status of medium of major power. Duchy of Guyenne will be still mentioned, but merely as administrative division in the Kingdom of Aquitaine.

Such a sweet looking map! Very nice, nalivayko. :cool: And I agree - change the name when you get the chance. It sounds and reads much better.

coz1, regarding France and luck... the next update is coming in 5 minutes, so I don't have to keep it a secret. French won't help me anymore with foolish decisions... in fact, they are about to have a string of lucky events, which will overshadow my own.

Yes, the change is inevitable... but the name has to be earned first... for the sake of early Dukes of Aquitaine, of course. Now, the real question: should it be Aquitaine, Aquitania or Akitania? :D

Soldier’s Dreams

Of battle axes, maces, swords
Again of late my dreams,
Of battered haumes and smitten shields,
Of curses and of screams.

Of reckless charges, fallen knights,
And horses running free,
Of broken heads and severed limbs,
Of dead who cannot plea.

Of peasants slaughtered, burning fields,
Smoke covering the sky.
Forget about the ransom, lads,
The nobles too should die.

So ride to Bordeaux, tell our Duke,
To set foes’ lands aflame:
There’s too much peace about Guyenne,
His policies to blame.

(Contemporary tribute to Bertran de Born’s sirventes)

Commentaries: This sirvente refers to Duke Charles II, who replaced Julien I (backstabbed at the end of the war in 1485). Charles was sometimes too cautious of a ruler. Deeming it unwise to continue the expansion of the Duchy, he kept his lands mostly at peace, wishing to give Aquitaine more time to absorb the conquests. Meanwhile, his neighbors indulged themselves in constant warfare.

Duke's peace-loving nature had cost him two allies. Aragon left, after Charles, being a head of the alliance, made peace with rebellious Sardinia in exchange for war indemnities only. Duchy of Dauphine made Charles angry by attacking the Pope, which did little to improve relations between Aquitaine and the Holy See and forced Charles to stand by when French King Charles VIII attacked Dauphine.

The only gain the Duchy saw was the vassalization of Foix, not something one wants to brag about, but still, better Aquitanis do it than Iberians.

A lot has changed in France since 1486. Weak from the previous wars, she lost Armor to Bretagne, which also recovered Finister from Scotland. But then a different ruler took the throne and French luck has changed overnight. Charles VIII was determined to undo all the damage done during King Gaston's reign.

First, France annexed her only two allies: Provence and Olreans and allied with Bourbonnais to replace two other lost allies: Scotland and Norway. Next came the attack on Dauphine, which Guyenne's Duke Charles II chose to ignore. Dauphine was annexed, but France found herself in conflict with mighty Castille.

At first, it seemed there was little France could do to bring Castille to negotiation table. France had no border with her enemy, the only country between them, Guyenne, refused her military access and gave it to Castille instead. Castille was free to attack French Roussillon and Saintonge at will without fear of retaliation. Charles VIII chose drastic measures. Sacrificing his small navy, he landed in northern Castille and quickly overran two-thirds of the kingdom. The enemy pleaded for white peace and it was graciously granted.

Charles was killed in one of the battles, but French expansion was still gaining momentum. New king, Louis XII soon oversaw the partition of Burgundy. Duke of Burgundy failed to produce the male heir and by all accounts the Burgundian inheritance should have passed to his Austrian son-in-law. The French intervened southern half of the Duchy for themselves. Neither the Emperor (same Austrian Archduke mentioned above) nor any other French neighbor deemed it wise to protest.

In the course of fifteen years France recovered from her losses and replaced them with other lands, richer and more numerous. She lost five provinces up to 1487, but gained seven by the end of the century. She was tired of wars, but strong nevertheless, her army more advanced than that of Guyenne. She was alike the phoenix risen from the ashes. And still, the old soldiers of Guyenne dreamt of crossing the swords with the French one more time before they should die of the old age.

1501.jpg

Western Europe in 1501

Purple and Light Purple: Duchy of Guyenne, Bretagne and C. of Foix
Blue and Light Blue: French and Bourbonnais
Red: England and her ally, Portugal (note the conquest of Ireland)
Yellow: Kingdom of Castille
Teal: Aragon (note the loss of Sardinia)
White: Austrian possessions in the West

Last edited:
I believe it's a Magna Mundi event, must be something about childless ruler and specific date (haven't actually checked the file, maybe MM team member will correct me), Burgundy gets split between France and whoever is the Emperor at the time. Austria got lucky to be Emperor at the historically correct time (+- few years).

And yes, France has land tech 6, I am still stuck at 3, 4 to be reached in 2-3 years. I haven't been able to hire land tech advisor and my ruler's military skills were rather poor. I wasted a lot of time trying to get stability at 3, only to have it go down to 2 several times because of some stupid ally wanting to go to war.

The loss of Burgundy as a north and western flank for France is not the best news. However, one can hope that the Habsburgs can keep them busy while you continue to grow and flourish.

see if you can get the Austrians to gang up on France with you, that might work.

coz1, Habsburgs managed to cut Poland in three greatly expanding the borders of the Empire. I am impressed, but doubt they can stand up to French by themselves.

Vann the Red, thank you, I shall, no worries :)

rcduggan, that's the plan, as you will see in a minute.

Everybody, I am trying a slighty different effect on the map (country coloring), please let me know which one you like best: old or new.

My Beloved Aquitaine

The fate commands and I must go,
Leaving behind dear land.
‘Tis not the last we’re making stand
Nor first against the ancient foe.
Our realm again I shall expand
Or perish from a mortal blow.

From Rose River to the Basques Sea,
To south of France and north of Spain,
Lies my beloved Aquitaine,
Basked in her glory, proud and free.
A land I long to see again,
A prize that’s beckoning to me.

My body marches north by day,
By night my dreams are south flying,
And every morrow I am dying,
My honor leading me astray.
And still, heartbroken, I’m complying,
And march to battle in dismay.

Commentaries: This song or poem is presumably written by Jean II, Duke of Guyenne, Gascogne, Languedoc and Poitou, Count of Toulouse and Avergne. Ruled from 1508 to 1517. His predecessor, Charles II, had to fight a brief war against the French in 1501, the war being initiated by Francois III, Duke of Bretagne. Aquitani forces were more than competent, but Duke’s (Breton) premature death on the battlefield forced Bretagne (and Guyenne with it) to the negotiation deal. A status quo peace followed.

A regency council in Bretagne and Charles lack of desire to fight ensured peace between France and Aquitaine until 1508. In 1508 Francois IV rose to the throne of Bretagne and Jean II to the throne of Guyenne. However, during the last seven years France managed to increase its forces from 17,000 (in 1501) to 36,000 (in 1508) and both Dukes found it prudent to stay away from conflict.

Nevertheless, legacy of Charles II, a warning to France not to go to war with her neighbors still remained an obligation to the court in Bordeaux. Not wishing to lose face and fearing loss of prestige, Duke Jean II was forced to declare war on France in 1513, when the current King of France, Louis XII declared war on the Empire.

France in 1513 was not the same country it was in 1501. Although her numerical superiority was never more noticeable, she lost her edge in military technology and her diplomatic standing was not as strong neither. A dispute over France-Comte and subsequent Imperial sanctions forced Louis XII to cede the county to the Emperor, the title held by Austrian Archduke Leopold VIII. In addition to that a threat of another noble uprising forced the French King to release the County of Nevers, costing France one province, but gaining her an extra ally.
Fearing further Austrian expansion in the region and wishing to restore French honor, Louis XII declares war on Austria. Aquitaine joins on the side of the Empire. Bavaria sends her army as well. France is assisted by the Kingdom of Scotland, Duchy of Bourbonnais and County of Nevers. Austrian southern Netherlands are overran, while Aquitani forces make progress in the north and the east. The war clearly goes in the favor of the empire, but heavy Austrian losses force the Empire to plea for peace. Yet again Guyenne is left empty handed.

Duke Jean is succeeded by Henry VI, who in two years of his brief yet productive reign acquires by peaceful means the County of Foix and conquers the province of Avignon.

The Papacy was once completely conquered by the city-state of Milan, but managed to recover Rome, while leaving Avignon in Milanese hands. Warned by Guyenne not to wage war on the neighbors, Milan starts its ninth war of aggression against the Kingdom of Sicily, hoping Avignon’s walls would be enough to protect the city. While the northern Italians slaughter the southern Italians in the vicinity of Naples, Charles Hamelm, the ablest general of the Duchy to date, quickly captures the French residence of the Popes. Having no access to the Duchy by land, Milan agrees to part with the province.

Duke Henry VI dies in 1519, leaving no heir of age to take his place.

1519.jpg

Western Europe in 1519

Blue and Light Blue - France, Allies and Vassals (note new vassal east of Bourbonnais - County of Nevers)
Purple and Light Purple - Guyenne and her Breton Ally (note the gain of Foix and Avignon)
Teal - Aragon alliance was gained and lost
Yellow - Kingdom of Castille
Red - United Kingdom of England and Ireland
White - Austrian possessions in the West (note French Comte changing hands)

I don't care what maps you use, as long as they are there! :D

btw Duke Henry VI sure did a lot in those couple of years (I am assuming he had diplomacy rating, since you diplo-annexed foix)

Last edited:
comagoosie said:
I don't care what maps you use, as long as they are there! :D

btw Duke Jean sure did a lot in those couple of years (I am assuming he had diplomacy rating, since you diplo-annexed foix)

Duke Henry, you mean ;) Yes, I think he had rating 9, against Foix's 8. I was said to see him go so soon, considered two Dukes before him were on the weak side (that's a period of 32 years, btw).

nalivayko said:
Duke Henry, you mean ;) Yes, I think he had rating 9, against Foix's 8. I was said to see him go so soon, considered two Dukes before him were on the weak side (that's a period of 32 years, btw).
:wacko: my bad, I couldn't remember the last monarch's name so I grabbed one of the last names that were mentioned, I think I will go back and change it :D

Pardon me for jumping in after the start, but what a fantastic little AAR this is :D!

I love the idea of song and analysis, it feels really authentic and gives one a very different perspective on events that would otherwise be possible. Oh, and of course I'm a sucker for pretty maps :D!

Keep it up, I'll be watching!

Getting pulled laeft and right by your neighbors, but then you knew you would be. One cannot set up shop in that particular region without doing so. Nice pick up in Avignon. Now let's hope your allies are a little better to you the next time you war with France.

comagoosie, not a biggie, I am suprised at myself for trying to record their names, but it does add to the authenticity of the ballads :D At least, I hope so.

DerKaiser, thank you for dropping by and thank you for your praise. Btw, it is never to late to leave a comment :)

coz1, you're right, it comes with the territory ;) And yes, my allies will be of great help during next ten years or so, just wait and see for yourself.

I've changed the maps again. Made them a bit darker and less photoshop-y. The reason I waste so much time re-doing them is simple. I would like to create an animated timeline image soon and I need to have maps with the same effects and size for this.

Got the next set of images prepared already, now all that I need is to come up with a short sweet ballad.