+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Discipline - What is it for?

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSupreme Ruler 2020 Gold500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Discipline - What is it for?

I'm playing my first game of NA 2.2. It is now around 1600, my country (Württemberg) is one of the biggest and far the strongest (with difficulty normal and aggressive AI), so I really do not complain. All I want to know is what effect discipline has and what has effects on it. I never had a discipline under 100%.

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeRome: Vae VictisEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Your troops do more damage with higher discipline.
    Policy slider Quality vs Quantity affects it with 2% per quality step.
    Also there is a national idea giving 25% discipline later on in the game.
    (un)common (non)sense

EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionSupreme Ruler 2020 Gold500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Paine
    Your troops do more damage with higher discipline.
    Policy slider Quality vs Quantity affects it with 2% per quality step.
    Also there is a national idea giving 25% discipline later on in the game.
    Nice, but why should I do anything to have more discipline? It is always 100%. Can it get lower than that? And how? And can it get over 100%?

I have no trouble winning my battles. Since my army is 200.000 men (Ming has 100.000, the next is my ally Austria with 70.000) I simply crush my enemies by number and my generals.

EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeRome: Vae VictisEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

You could make them more damaging by going for higher quality. Doing more damage with a smaller army is more efficient economically. However, I am not sure whether the war capacity calculations do honour a more efficient army or just look at numbers.
    (un)common (non)sense

Quote Originally Posted by Mulla
    Nice, but why should I do anything to have more discipline? It is always 100%. Can it get lower than that? And how? And can it get over 100%?
    You quoted the answer

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided
    Hoi 2 BetaEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    But does anyone know for definite exactly what discipline does to the combat algorithms. There is a fairly obvious guess but has anyone tested it and collected figures.

(I will need a proper analysis of discipline to update the military FAQ)

I wish I could say for sure. It appears that it works similar to morale but slightly different. Troops seem to fight longer, do more damage, and miraculously win battles, sometimes even outnumbered 3:1. Its hard to tell though, there are so many variables.

to answer the OP, yes it can get much higher or lower than 100%. I've seen it as high as 135%.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Johan (EDIT: or possibly another admin; I can't find my source for this) has said for the record that discipline doesn't affect morale.

I haven't seen any statistics on it, but my understanding is that a unit with 125% discipline will do 1.25x the casualties per day as a unit with 100% discipline. I'm not clear on whether this affects defense or only offense.
    A mod for Europa Universalis IV that enhances religion in the age of faith and reason
    Want to play as a Sikh? Want Jewish minorities? Want a turbulent Reformation? This mod is for you.
    Game concepts explained on the Wiki
    Current status: 98% complete and compatible with Conquest of Paradise
    Download available April 9, 2014) or subscribe on Steam to get updates automatically
    Project Cryptic: 10% complete

200k clubHoI AnthologyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Quote Originally Posted by dharper
    Johan (EDIT: or possibly another admin; I can't find my source for this) has said for the record that discipline doesn't affect morale.

I haven't seen any statistics on it, but my understanding is that a unit with 125% discipline will do 1.25x the casualties per day as a unit with 100% discipline. I'm not clear on whether this affects defense or only offense.

Well, it seems only logical to me that it should affect both equally.
    Ненад Миловановић - Жаки

200k clubArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDivine Wind
    For the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine

Blog Entries
    Which leads to the question of whether it is simply a scale on the shock and fire multipliers of your troops. The key issues then are

is it simply a multiplier on casualties you inflict
    does it affect the casualties you receive
    does apply to morale damage inflicted as well as casualties

my guess is

yes
    no
    yes

This would simply make and army with 1.21 discipline equal to a force with 10% more troops (square root rule applies). This would be quite reasonable but due to the engagement rules it makes discipline extremely effective especially when quite large armies are fighting (ie when the engaged ratio is very close to 1:1).

200k clubHoI AnthologyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus Vult
    Europa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I agree that it shouldn't affect both a) and b), but I think that, based on what dharper said earlier, c) is also no. Hm. Maybe discipline affects a) if you're attacking, and b) if you're defending?
    Ненад Миловановић - Жаки

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

I'd still doublecheck whether it affects morale damage empirically. I'd be interested to have a more concrete understanding of it.
    A mod for Europa Universalis IV that enhances religion in the age of faith and reason
    Want to play as a Sikh? Want Jewish minorities? Want a turbulent Reformation? This mod is for you.
    Game concepts explained on the Wiki
    Current status: 98% complete and compatible with Conquest of Paradise
    Download available April 9, 2014) or subscribe on Steam to get updates automatically
    Project Cryptic: 10% complete

Magrathean Engineer Haftetavenscrap's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionRome GoldSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    Victoria 2Rome: Vae VictisEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    Here's an example of 2 battles with 129% discipline. You can see the RADICAL effects .

Try Haftetavenscrap's Realistic Map Generator!
    Explore, colonize and conquer a world you've never seen before!
    Much more intricate and realistic maps than Conquest of Paradise

Get it HERE!

Shocking results.
    Read my first AAR: Wittelsbach- A CK AAR
    http://www.europa-universalis.com/fo...d.php?t=293636

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis IV

That's not really that useful. Now, on to the empirical, double-blind, placebo controlled testing.
    Friend(s): Everyone

Blog Entries
    What is actually needed is a battle with a pause after a day and recording of the individual regimental losses. If you look at the military FAQ you will see it is possible to calculate exactly what the personnel and morale losses should be on a regiment by regiment basis without discipline and therefore it becomes very simply to establish what its effects are. It is a bit of a statistical chore but I can't see why we would need to test more than one day of one battle. If nobody else bothers then I will get round to it sooner or later but currently I am trying some siege assault analysis (which is time consuming).

Damn Atheist Commie! artemis667's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided

Did anyone work anything out about this?

My thought is that discipline doesn't directly impact combat damage - but what it does do is mean that your regiments don't lose morale as frequently during combat - introducing a 'hold the line' factor. Meaning that even as the enemy units get reduced to 0 morale and flee, your troops are likely to stay in the fight, continuing to inflict damage.

Am I right? Or on the wrong track?
    "If soldiers were to begin to think, not one of them would remain in the army." - Frederick II

Quote Originally Posted by artemis667 View Post
    Did anyone work anything out about this?

My thought is that discipline doesn't directly impact combat damage - but what it does do is mean that your regiments don't lose morale as frequently during combat - introducing a 'hold the line' factor. Meaning that even as the enemy units get reduced to 0 morale and flee, your troops are likely to stay in the fight, continuing to inflict damage.

Am I right? Or on the wrong track?

Quote Originally Posted by dharper View Post
    Unless you have proof otherwise of course.
    It's not that there aren't enough hours in the day. Just that I'm not awake for enough of the ones already available. - Karen Ellis

You may also know/hate me as Semaphore >.> <.<

DiplomacyEU3 Complete

Your troops will do a base amount of damage multiplied the percantage - 100% will mean that the result is multiplied by 1.0, 95% means 0.95 multiplier. Dealing more damage to you opponent will mean that there are fewer enemies to hit back on you, so naturally your men suffer fewer casualties.

There are plenty of other things affecting casualties - tech level for instance determines the morale, shock and fire modifier for calvary, infantry and artilley, but disciplin does what I stated above.

Damn Atheist Commie! artemis667's Avatar
    Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House Divided

Quote Originally Posted by RedFish View Post
    Your troops will do a base amount of damage multiplied the percantage - 100% will mean that the result is multiplied by 1.0, 95% means 0.95 multiplier. Dealing more damage to you opponent will mean that there are fewer enemies to hit back on you, so naturally your men suffer fewer casualties.

There are plenty of other things affecting casualties - tech level for instance determines the morale, shock and fire modifier for calvary, infantry and artilley, but disciplin does what I stated above.
    Ah cool, its a bit more black & white than I was expecting.
    Do you know if it impacts morale damage, or just casualties (as often I find battles - especially in the early game - are as much about managing morale as they are about avoiding/inflicting losses)
    "If soldiers were to begin to think, not one of them would remain in the army." - Frederick II

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast