• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
citybug said:
I am thoroughly happy that the dynastic system is back and looking like Deus Vult. This will further deepen the experience.
Man...i thought there was a new Dev Di for a second..the come down. sucks.

I'll at my (much delayed due to a forum absence on my part) comment now:

Excellent. One of the main things I almost always miss in most wargames, and ones set in the ancient world in particular, is civil wars, or at least well executed ones.

It does indeed seem like Rome aims to please me at least in this department...

... now, if only the map could be expanded to the east...

Wow - a great update! I've been away from the forums and just learned of this game today. Definitely my cup of tea, looking forward to a fun April :)

"Character driven" and "civil wars" are two things I always wanted to read in a single sentence in this very forum :D
And I like how the first screenshot reads "Our chief is an illiterate brute."
Now I REALLY want this game!

Last edited:
Gothmog said:
... now, if only the map could be expanded to the east...
The map is very likely to be like a EU3 map, meaning anyone with drawing skills can change it. A full-map expansion change might take a while, but it will be done. And then people will likely proceed to crazier projects. Like EU:Rome set in the same timeline but focussion on China.

The possibilities are endless :D :D :D :D

White Daimon said:
The map is very likely to be like a EU3 map, meaning anyone with drawing skills can change it. A full-map expansion change might take a while, but it will be done. And then people will likely proceed to crazier projects. Like EU:Rome set in the same timeline but focussion on China.

The possibilities are endless :D :D :D :D
Though a totally different map wasn't possible with Eu3 and I don't believe it will be possible, either, in Eu:R

comagoosie said:
Though a totally different map wasn't possible with Eu3 and I don't believe it will be possible, either, in Eu:R
I don´t own EU3 (slow PC :( ), but AFAIK theres a mapmod called MyMap or something like that, which creates a random world map. Is this not true?

White Daimon said:
I don´t own EU3 (slow PC :( ), but AFAIK theres a mapmod called MyMap or something like that, which creates a random world map. Is this not true?

Heh you mix up things. :D MyMap is a map for EU2 which makes the map much better. There is a map maker for EU3 which makes random maps, but that's Random Map Generator.

cool-toxic said:
Heh you mix up things. :D MyMap is a map for EU2 which makes the map much better. There is a map maker for EU3 which makes random maps, but that's Random Map Generator.
Ohhh yeah, MyMap is the mapMod I use for my EU2 games :p And you say the map mod which generates a random map is called the random map generator? I would never have guessed...... :p

BTW, cool new avatar :cool:

White Daimon said:
Ohhh yeah, MyMap is the mapMod I use for my EU2 games :p And you say the map mod which generates a random map is called the random map generator? I would never have guessed...... :p

BTW, cool new avatar :cool:
Hehe I had to look the name up I thought it was some latin name. :D

Thanks. :)

Just to throw in my coin in the naming nitpicking that was going on earlier, I might mention that hypaspist is pretty strange name for "militia" class infantry as it was elite formation in Alex's army. If Rome has to do with velites, wouldn't peltast be better term for successor militia?

Unless, of course militia just means light infantry and those "hypaspists" have statlines to make them go toe to toe with roman legionaries.

On more important note, I wonder if the eastern successors will face problems maintaining sufficient macedonian population to rise reliable troops from or will we just freely recruit our pezhetairoi from amongst random Syrians and Egyptians?

Some kind of system to represent the reliance on small Macedonian cadre and foreging mercenary settlers like Galatians would be dandy.

How do light inf stand up against Legions which are mostly heavy?

Snall said:
How do light inf stand up against Legions which are mostly heavy?

What I meant was that if those "hypaspists" *really* are hypaspists (as in elite royal bodyguard) then of course they should have quite high statline.

Naturally as it would be quite silly for all successor "militia" types to pwn other countries heavies, one would assume that these "hypaspists" are most likely not intended to be hypaspists and that they are called such cause there was a need to come up with a term for hellenistic military fromation that was "lighter" than phalanx (of course one could argue that marian legionaries were lighter than phalanx).

So my argument was not "Successor militia should kill everything" but "Call them something else than hypaspists, like peltasts".

Hypaspist.

There, i said it 6th time. Brings luck.

Ceaser isn't crossing the Rubicon - he's standing on it! :p