• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(59077)

Tzar of all the Soviets
Jul 17, 2006
06/02/2008

Hello, readers old and new.

This is the second part of my intended Russian megacampaign, which will see the slow development of my plucky Kievan state into a modern Empire.

One important thing to keep in mind that although I call my AAR nation "Russia", it is not Russia in the modern sense, because the centre is still around Kiev rather than Moscow; but neither is it Ukraine, because the Byzantine influence that really defines a lot of Russian tradition in the EU timeframe has been thoroughly ingrained in all of the Rus states due to the events in A Year's Education.

This part of the GC is a crucial one; I will rise to greatness here, or I will not at all. This does not mean I will be conquering Europe, but Asia need not be so lucky.

The first section of the AAR's updates is a preview of the world the following parts take place in; this world, in some indefinite future, will be represented by a custom modification, either scratch-built or MEIOU-based, as I find more likely, to make sure it's HTTT-compatible.

The subsequent parts will be a variety of narrative, episodic tales of interesting lives, grand or humble, that take place in that world in the game timeframe, 1393-1836. They may be intersperced with asides, overviews, or simple gloss-overs of large parts of history to focus on a period where many characters can coexist at once. This is my first narrative AAR, so, please, leave comments as to the quality. I probably have nowhere to go but up.

This part is now no longer current

The EU3 part, much like the CK part (A Year's Education) that preceded it is a fiction within a fiction. The format for the main narrative will be a textbook that draws upon three major historical work to give an overall picture of Russia during the period of 1393-1836.

This will be played on my own, quite involved, modification of NA 2.2/MMG 1.79. Difficulty and aggressiveness level will be set arbitrarily when I actually complete the conversion.

This part of the GC is a crucial one; I will rise to greatness here, or I will not at all. This does not mean I will be conquering Europe, but Asia need not be so lucky.

One important thing to keep in mind that although I call my AAR nation "Russia", it is not Russia in the modern sense, because the centre is still around Kiev rather than Moscow; but neither is it Ukraine, because the Byzantine influence that really defines a lot of Russian tradition in the EU timeframe has been thoroughly ingrained in all of the Rus states due to the events in A Year's Education.

Here's a quick guide to the layout of the entries:

Book Title

This will be one of the three "Historical" books that our "students" will be examining. One will be written by a lovesick courtier for his Queen; one will be written by a secretary in the Siberian Cossack host, who is less simple than his diction would suggest; and one will be written by the captain of one of the naval vessels Russia will use by the end game to explore, colonise and control the Pacific.

Chapter Title​

I'll try to make it clever but sometimes I just can't do that.

The updates will come in pairs: one is essentially a longish passage from our "source", the next one is an examination of the passage's context and historical significance.

"A quote" - or two - these are real, our-timeline quotes. They're not necessarily indicative of what happened in the fictional timeline but they're often fun. Or I think they are.

Then the text intermixed with images. I've saved a whole lot over the recent months so hopefully you'll get eyecandy by the photobucketload.

In the "Explanation" updates one or more image is always going to be a map like thrashing mad's excellent [thread=278786]Poland GC[/thread].

However, this is for when the conversion is complete. Until such time as it is, I will be posting a detailed overview of the World in 1393, and a step-by-step guide to my conversion of the game files. When I'm done, hopefully the mod will be uploadable.

Although part one of this Megacampaign is technically complete, it will still be active with updates in a different format; plus it doesn't hurt to get acquainted with the time leading up to 1393 in more detail than an overview will be able to give you.

So go drop by and enjoy the read, or at least the pictures.

Last edited:
Eu3Title.jpg

From Rus to Russia

The World in 1393 and How it Got There

An Overview of Europe - Religion in Europe - A Somewhat Brief History of Iceland - France and the British Isles - A Brief History of a Cultural Divide - Spain and the Maghreb - An Account of La Reconquete - Carthage, Italy and the Alps - Of Guelfs and Ghibellines - Anatolia and the Balkans - Men of the Sword and the Book - (I) - (II) - (III) - Central Europe - Straddling Two Worlds - A Vision of al-Andalus

Waves of Blood and Grass

1393​
Chapter I: Sostratos - Chapter II: Andrei - Chapter III: Ishak - IV: Timofey and V: Sostratos - Mini-Update: Pleading of Poor Daniel - VI: Konrad and VII: Sostratos - VIII: Sostratos and IX: Timofey - X: Timofey and Epilogue : Sostratos

Interim I​
Yuan Empire, part I - Yuan Empire, part II - 1393-1397, Summarised

1397-1400​
XI: Ishak. Historical note on Late Acritic Songs - XII: Konrad. Historical note on Skraelings and Native Myths - XIII: Andrei

The Russian Medieval AtlAARs​
I. Oka Principalities

Last edited:
Ahh great. I`ll await in excitement till this alternative history continues - good luck with conversion. One thing though:

This will be played on my own, quite involved, modification of NA 2.2/MMG 1.79. Difficulty and aggressiveness level will be set arbitrarily when I actually complete the conversion.

I would suggest you to keep normal/normal, as other settings could seriously unbalance game in Magna Mundi. Besides, it`s still much harder than vanilla, especially with role-playing.

The World in 1393 and How it Got There

An Overview of Europe

1393.png

This map - although not 100% accurate anymore since it was designed for EU2 MyMap-AGCEEP conversion that I've since abandoned - is a guideline for me in my conversion to EU3.

As you can see, the world managed to retain some semblance of itself despite the high probability of screw-ups in CK. That's because I spent a lot of energy directing history into the right pattern. So, success.

Still, some parts fell victim to the vagaries of time, and some major states you are all probably used to are either occupied by someone else, or else are mere bit-players; and by that I mean Denmark, Castille, France and Austria.

Instead, the contest for the West is likely to be between England and an amazingly strong Burgundy, while Poland is likely to dominate central Europe. In the Mediterranean, strong Catholic Carthage and Orthodox Sicily are facing off against Muslim countries on all sides of them.

As for myself, I'll be playing for Kiev. Besides uniting Russia's many smaller states, I'll have to face off against the Tatars, who are not as disorganised as in OTL, and are orthodox to boot, meaning Stability hits every time I want to take on them.

This promises to be fun!

PS: I will take suggestions for the CoA and flag for Catholic Carthage, and Muslim Galicia.

Cheers.

Great to see more of this...my only request - be kind to Scotland...

Seems interesting althought I've still got to read the CK part.

I have suggestions for those flags:

Muslim Galicia:
gall_mus.jpg

Catholic Carthage:

cart-cath.jpg

Ready for the ride. Those blue provinces around Azov and Black Sea, do they belong to Kiev as well?

Hooray , on this , the Christening of part I . Wish you all the best , my friend !

Great to see it up so quickly. Hopefully the process of converting the game will go quickly and without major problems, so that we can enjoy the AAR as soon as possible :). Good luck, RGB!

*subscribes* - well actually I guess it's more of a renewal than a new subscription!

Ah, I was right non-trivial modding, still as an ex EU2 player anything that eliminates Austria has to be good :D

Last edited:
thrashing mad: normal/normal, got it...nice to see you around again...

Drozh: haven't seen you in forever! how's it been?

Scotland starts allied with Burgundy and in possession of Flandres. That's as good a start as they could wish for...

Spencer_123: yeah the Crusader cross seems like a good idea.

ComradeOm: :D

nalivayko: yes, the former Principality of Tmutarakan and the lands of the Crimean Greeks and Goths, recovered by Vsevolod IV in 1378 from the Tatars.

Chances are I'll lose them ever so quick, but we'll see.

canonized: thank you! lovely to see you on this one too!

Bad Santa: er, I'll try not to make you wait too long.

Emperor_krk: fingers crossed. I'll be posting progress updates anyhow, so you'll know how far along I am.

comagoosie: well, the backstory is rather convoluted and complicated and very exciting (go read part I)!!!!

But I'll try to bring people up to speed as best as I can in the prologue.

PrawnStar: Austria is a minor force and surrounded by stronger neighbours. We'll see how it does.

Herbert West: woot! Excellent!

Capibara: part I is sooo excellent...you know....

But yes I've always wanted to do a megacampaign, and thrashing mad's Polish version was what spurred me on to finally do it.

germanpeon: just so many opportunities..yummy.