• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In my WIF game with germany, the Allies surprised me by effectively make an overlord landing...In greece and in the Balkan. I almost lost Sarajevo before my reinforcement arrived...Slowing down the allies before the Panzer of the eastern front, now turned exclusively on the defensive could do a real counter offensive, finally winning the campaing. What is the more surprising is that approximatively 30 divisions were evacuated to the greek island and Creta, continuing to be menacing!

well fought, and a nice update.

Enewald - The Finns won't pay this time.

KLorberau - Thank you. Sweden is a nice target and takes little effort.

BoemsiBoemsie - Thank you, Greece is being defended with six understrenght divisions. I admit there are not enough troops to defend southern France or the Balkans though. But here's where the Luftwaffe intervenes :)

General_Hoth - That's intriguing. Perhaps that is more likely to happen in the '36 scenario.

SeleucidRex - Thank you.

Apart from the sluggish update rate, for which I apologize, I have to inform you that I had to edit the savegame because the Finns retained Stockholm, which would have prevented me from annexing Sweden. It would've been really annoying and I decided to fix it the hard way this time. It won't happen again hopefully.

Dawn of a new Year

0000 January 29th 1945
Trondheim, Norway

This piece of information was handed to Ringel who could show some interest on this.​

049-1-Trondheim.jpg

That was junk information for him, as the Swedish troops entering Trondheim did not pose any strategical threat. It would be the first and last time that the Swedes would see the Atlantic Ocean.​

0000 February 1st 1945
Reichstag, Berlin

As Ringel was busy dealing with Sweden, and many others were studying the details of 1945 Summer Offensive against the Soviet Union. Bormann and von Ribbentrop were not that busy however, and had a brief meeting in the Reichstag.

"This is quite great news Martin. The Japanese seem to have found their fighting spirit back again."

"What does it make you believe that?"

"Japanese envoys told us of their latest military movements. It looks like they have finally broke the impasse in China."​

049-2-JAPEncircles.jpg

"Roughly twenty-six Chinese divisions have been isolated from their mainland in three pockets, one that consists of two Militia divisions, one of six, and the last one of fourteen."​

0500 February 2nd 1945
I. SS-Panzerkorps, Karlstad, Sweden

Lt. General Balck, commanding I. SS-Panzerkorps, was tasked to reach Falum no later than February 9th.​

049-3-GotoFalun.jpg

Sweden was living her last days of freedom.​

049-4-AttackingVasteras.jpg

Västerås would be indeed the last battle fought by the Swedes. One division was fighting stubbornly against much greater odds. Had they had some few divisions more, they could have put much more resistance to Germany, as Winter and the freezing climate made such battles last for entire days.​

0100 February 5th 1945
Foreign Ministry, Berlin

Von Ribbentrop greeted the Romanian ambassador. He left Germany shortly after the meeting.​

049-5-Careforsomeoil.jpg

Such small numbers would do nothing to Germany's huge oil usage, but it was a start nonetheless.​

0000 February 8th 1945
IV. Fliegerkorps, Berlin, Germany

Speer was given news about several upgrades that had been completed. He started to become used to receive them on a daily basis, but this marked a special occurrence.​

049-6-Upgrades.jpg

Over three hundred Interceptor fighters had been upgraded to the latest model. As a result, for the first time after many months, Speer had Industrial Capacity in excess to use for other needs.​

1000 February 9th 1945
Västerås, Sweden

And thus the last Swedish struggle ended. The cold plains of Västerås held a vicious battle for several days, in which one Swedish division single-handedly stood against eleven German divisions armed to the teeth.​

049-7-VasterasContinues.jpg

Even the bravest of them had to succumb.​

0000 February 7th 1945
Reichstag, Berlin

Meetings between von Ribbentrop and Bormann were becoming more frequent over the last days. The new, intriguing Japanese development in China was quite interesting to both.​

049-8-JAPAttacks.jpg

It took months to encircle them, it was quite reasonable that it took several days before they decided to attack an encircled enemy two times weaker than them. Von Ribbentrop would follow the attack on Wenzhou closely.​

1400 February 9th 1945
Falun, Sweden

I. SS-Panzerkorps arrived somewhat earlier than scheduled in Falun. Soon enough to capture several valuable stockpiles from the Swedes.​

049-9-Stockpiles.jpg

German predictions were right. There were quite some Rare Materials in abundance, a resource Germany started to need more day after day. Anyways, word was sent about the annihilation of Sweden under the strategical point of view, and von Ribbentrop immediately summoned the Swedish ambassador.

"Good morning ambassador. I'm here to say that you no longer have to work under Sweden."

"Why is it so?"

"Because it has just been annexed."​

049-10-SwedenAnnexed.jpg

The Swedish Ambassador was somehow unaware of the lighting speed with which Germany captured every relevant place of Sweden. After many years, Germany once again fought on the winners' side.​

Last edited:
Dawn of a new Year

The Swedes had managed to hide their stockpiles after the capture of Falum, but their subsequent annexation led to German forces pillaging the whole Swedish treasury.​

049-11-Stockpiles3.jpg

Now, more than forty divisions were going to be redeployed much closer to the Soviet line.​

049-12-Redeployment.jpg

It was expected that the Soviets would attack Luleå. The airport was of primary importance and German forces would try to recapture it in case of Soviet occupation.​

1100 February 10th 1945
Athens, Greece

Someone remembered that the Brazilians had landed four divisions in the Cyclades, a place too close to an Axis capital to let it run freely.​

049-13-Greece.jpg

To much surpise, what was to be a diversionary attack was a success. Brazil sent 40,000 men but forgot to give them food and shelter. More than 25,000 died of starvation and the remaining 15,000 immediately fell back after the sight of ten armed German soldiers.​

0000 February 12th 1945
Reichstag, Berlin, Germany

The Japanese had finally completed their first, successful encirclement.​

049-14-EncircleSucceeds.jpg

It was expected that they would take another full month before daring to attack other Chinese troops.​

0000 February 15th 1945

Speer saw the internal situation of Germany run better day after day. This time, three Garrison divisions had been trained.​

049-15-Garrison.jpg

As manpower was needed for the forthcoming Summer offensive, no further production was issued.​

049-16-Location.jpg

The three Garrison divisions would be deployed in France, exactly in Avranches, Cherbourg and Djeppe, freeing up three Infantry divisions that would link up in Avranches to merge and be sent in the Eastern front.​

0000 February 15th 1945

"I don't bring good news this time."​

049-17-JapanEncircled-1.jpg

Two Japanese divisions had been isolated by the British, who were also steadily advancing in Siam.​

Last edited:
Enewald - Prepare for the worst in Japan. Lapland will see his faithful Grey Santa delivering presents to all the good German children hopefully (i.e. I hope that even in the worst case scenario Finland will be free before the end of this year).

BoemsiBoemsie - Danke.

Sort of short update, to keep up with the daily pace.

The cold, long Winter

0000 February 23rd 1945
Sweden

Several divisions had already been ferried through Sweden. Twenty-seven of them exactly had just been reassembled and immediately headed North. Only two mountain divisions would head for the mountainous region of Kiruna, however.​

050-1-EndingRedeployment.jpg

Almost everything was set for the upcoming Summer offensive; the only thing it lacked was Summer indeed, but no one was in a haste.​

0000 February 24th 1945
Intelligence Department, Berlin, Germany

I.G. Farben completed yet another important field of research by developing advanced technologies for agricultural production, which would greatly benefit to Germany's manpower growth.​

050-2-NewTech.jpg

The same company was tasked to delve into the secrets of Advanced Synthetic Oil Plant. One could only wonder where would this path lead to.​

0500 February 24th 1945
The Cyclades, Greece

Two Croatian divisions had occupied the Cyclades after the ruinous defeat of Brazilian troops who were left without supplies nor food whatsoever. Those two understrenght divisions attempted to pursue the Brazilians, who had retreated in the Dardanelles.​

050-3-Greece.jpg

The Croatians were quite surprised to discover that Brazil had not solved the supply issue yet, yet they sent an additional division so to let it starve without supplies. It was still too strong however, so the attack was called off.​

0000 February 29th 1945
Foreign Ministry, Berlin, Germany

"Welcome in Ambassador. What news do you bring to Germany? Do you wish to arrange some new deal between our two Countries? I'm sure an exchange of Supplies for Oil would sure meet your likes-"

"I'm unfortunate to say that this is not a pleasure meeting nor a business meeting."

Von Ribbentrop did not change facial expression, yet he knew what he was about to say.

"Today, February 29th 1945, the government of Venezuela has decided to enter the good cause of the Allies and declare war upon Germany and her minions."​

050-4-VenezuelaWar.jpg

"..."

"Excuse me Ambassador, but 1945 isn't a leap year, is it?"

Now the Venezuelan ambassador was quite puzzled. He did not expect this I-couldn't-care-less kind of answer from von Ribbentrop.

"W-why sir, it isn't."

"Then why the heck you say today is February 29th? Your government declares war in a day that does not even exist!"

"With the utmost respect sir, but everyone knows that February has thirty days!"

Von Ribbentrop swore he would make an in-depth analysis of the Gregorian Calendar a top issue in the upcoming Cabinet Meeting.

"Your talking ends here, Ambassador. Now please leave this room!"

The Venezuelan ambassador had fulfilled his duty, and albeit surprised by the eerie behaviour of Von Ribbentrop, left the room hastily.

Shortly after the Venezuelan ambassador, a Romanian one made his appearance.

"Greetings, ambassador. I hope you bring better news than Venezuela."

"I sure do von Ribbentrop. My government has just authorized me to conduct talks for a deal."​

050-5-RomaniaOil.jpg

"That is a reasonable deal indeed. We take it."

"It's good to see our ties even stronger, von Ribbentrop. When are we going to renew hostilities against the Soviet Union?"

"As soon as the snow melts, that is certain. Your Country is a valuable asset to the Axis cause."

"Now more than ever we'd never betray our Allies."

"That's good to hear Ambassador. On a lighter note, would you please tell me what day is it today?"

"Why, today it's February 29th."​

0200 February 30th 1945
Kiruna, Sweden

Ringel and his divisions were lucky enough to not encounter any significant Soviet force opposing them. This time there would be a small diversion.​

050-6-SovietAdvance.jpg

The lone Soviet armored division would be attacked from over forty divisions and soon ruthlessly bombed.​

050-7-LuftwaffeBombs.jpg

The Luftwaffe made its appearance once again, scarier than ever, to much dismay of the terrified Soviet armored division that ventured in hostile lands, those of the Reich. February 30th, to much joy of von Ribbentrop, would be the first day of 1945 in which German and Soviet troops exchanged fire once again.​

Ditto.....either I'm too stupid to know what Ribbontrop is talking about, or the Venezuelan diplomat is as stupid as me.....Why would they declare war on Germany after her recent victories??

KLorberau

Enewald, KLorberau - Venezuelan government sits in their comfy chair unaware of what happens in the world. Political pressure from the US I guess. 29 and 30 February that was just a little irony from me about the game engine.

Another update, finally at a daily pace. It won't stay so that long, however.

Cabinet Meeting March 1945

0000 March 1st 1945
Reichstag Building, Berlin, Germany

"Good morning Gentlemen and welcome to our usual meeting. Ernst, you are first this time."

"Thank you Martin. There are some slightly interesting news. Due to an increase of Consumer Goods production, we can increase also the number of spies among the ranks of our enemies. Unfortunately, not a single try has succeeded, as the enemy counter-intelligence has thwarted every attempt."​

051-1-SpiesinGermany.jpg

"We now have three spies in our Country and we estimate there are twelve enemy spies. We'll start purging them in a couple of months."​

051-2-SOVInt.jpg

"We have two spies in the Soviet Union. We have tried thrice to infiltrate another spy, but each attempt failed. Two months ago our spies said they would specialize in production of a Navy. Now they changed their minds and tell that they want to build up an airforce. It looks like the fact they have lost over a hundred divisions does not even disturb them. Anyways, their land numbers are exactly the same as two months ago, and so are those regarding their Air Force. Should these estimates be correct - but I don't think so - we are opposing an equal foe in terms of numbers.

Their industry is growing as they added six pieces of Industrial complexes in two months, bringing the Industrial Efficiency up by ten total."​

051-3-USInt.jpg

"We have four spies in the USA; we had four two months ago. Their counter-intelligence striked hard against our repeated attempts.

Two months ago they had 71 infantry divisions, now they have 88. It might be true; 18 armored divisions also show an increase of four. We cannot know whether it is true or not.

Air force numbers are totally incorrect. Navy shows an increase of one carrier and fifty-one more smaller ships. Given the failure of the IJN, we cannot contest these numbers. The USN is a behemoth we will have to face one day with impressive numbers.

Their industry shows a base increase of eighteen Industrial complexes and twenty-five in Industrial Efficiency in total. A monster of an industry. They have completed researching models for Turbojet Fighters, Turbojet Interceptor, Improved Rocket Interceptor, and are now focusing their research on improving their Navy and Infantry divisions. I'm extremely worried by the fact they have also completed research on a Semi-Fission Bomb. We are literally light-years behind this field of research."​

051-4-UKInt.jpg

"Two spies in London. Every attempt at increasing the number thwarted. Looks like that they have increased their number of spies in our Country: from six to eight in two months. Armored divisions stay the same, while their infantry divisions number dropped by thirteen units, which is unlikely. Air force numbers are as usual inaccurate, while the Navy shows an increase of six Battleships and a loss of three Carriers and a gain of twenty smaller ships. All of these numbers are inaccurate at best.

Their Industry seems to have recovered from lack of a certain resource, to much of our dismay. Their Industrial Efficiency has seen a twofold increase over the last two months, and their base industry number has also increased by eight units.

Research is a bit odd, as they are not using their potential at maximum."

"This is quite a depressing report. We can't do anything to help our own Industrial power if not diminish that of our foes by conquest" commented Speer.

"That is your job. I have better news in the field of research. Due to the upcoming Summer Offensive, I have thoroughly prepared a status report of our Technology level so that we can get an idea on how well we are faring against our foes, especially the Soviet Union."​

051-5-Techs.jpg

"This is our current progress. Our research is spread over several fields spanning from land warfare to nuclear analysis."​

051-6-INF.jpg

"Our Infantry models are quite good. We are not going to improve our Infantry at the moment as it would greatly hamper our already difficult Oil supply. We have the most up-to-date logistics systems and fairly good repair organization."​

051-7-ARM.jpg

"Our Artillery is fairly modern, while Armor designs are just decent. Porsche is currently working on a new design which would greatly improve our Armored divisions. Its work is currently just over half completed, so we might be able to implement a small fraction of these new tanks before war erupts again."​

051-8-NAV.jpg

"Our Navy will remain as is, as we have no interest in expanding this field at the moment, nor it is a priority."​

051-9-AIR.jpg

"Our Airforce is undoubtedly one of the most modern. Our ability to wage Air superiority is fairly good thanks to Turbojet Interceptors and Fighters. We have recently developed a new Turbojet Close Air Support design so to increase casualties against the Soviets in the near future."​

051-10-AIRDOCT.jpg

"Our Air doctrines are up-to-date if not for the Strategic bombers, which we possess any, and we won't in the medium-term. So it is safe to assume that we clearly have an edge regarding combat doctrines and quality of our Aircraft."​

051-11-NAVDOCT.jpg

"Naval doctrines are not much of a priority now, and even if we completed this field of research, we'd still have a penalty against the more talented British doctrines. We chose to focus on submarine warfare, but that's not really the way we're going to sink their fleets in a distant future."​

051-12-LANDDOCT.jpg

"Our land doctrines are up-to-date at the moment. Our generals think that they could, in the future, devise a completely revised model of Blitzkrieg, but at the moment we lack the experience to do so. They think they will be able to conduct research of this kind in a couple of years from now. For now, von Manstein is halfway through researching an improved Field Hospital system, so to minimize casualties and improve safety of the wounded. Needless to say, expertising in this field will be imperative in the manpower-costly campaign of Soviet Russia."​

051-13-INDST.jpg

"I.G. Farben has recently completed work on improving Agricultural production, which will result in more men being raised daily. I.G. Farben is now working on a better refining system for Synthetic Oil. We do not think this will ease our Oil problem by much, but that's not our main aim: experts say that through research on Synthetic oil we might expertize enough to create Synthetic materials that go under the name of 'Plastics', which would greatly help our Industrial Efficiency as a whole.

Werner Heisenberg is trying to shorten the huge gap between us and the United States about Nuclear Research. We have no spare production to build a Nuclear Reactor at the moment, so his research will be somewhat handicapped, but we will try to build one in the future."​

051-14-SECWEAP.jpg

"Our Secret Weapons panel displays total completion of Rocket Interceptor, and a fair knowledge on Strategic Rockets. We might want to build some V2 to keep England busy with rebuilding their Industry, given their cost effectiveness. I have always loved those fireworks. Anyways, Zuse is working on Advanced Electronic Computers so to speed up our research, which is fundamental.

That is all from me."

"A very well detailed report you have Ernst. We will surely all benefit from this. I too would like to keep the UK under pressure with a limited production of V2 - perhaps Speer might enlighten us a bit regarding this matter?"

"Good morning Martin. We could afford a small chain production of V2 at the moment, if we want to keep the English industry at a certain level. Our industrial capacity has reached an historical high with 316 base factories and 333 in Industrial Efficiency. With nothing being produced at the moment and reinforcements being very low, we can afford a surplus being spent in Consumer Goods and Supplies. The only relevant expense is that of Upgrades, a chapter that by the end of May I think it may be well completed. That is without counting the possible upgrades on our Armored Divisions however."​

051-15-Production.jpg

"Our stockpiles look a bit better than two months ago, but that's still far from safety. Energy and Metal are good. Rare materials show a steady deficit we might want to correct in the future, but nothing I'm too much worried about. The conquest of Sweden might help a bit. Oil is our constant problem and we need to stockpile a lot of it before Summer comes. Supplies are growing fast and it will go that way, as we are planning to buy several Fighter squadrons - and oil - from our Allies. Money is also no longer an issue and we can afford espionage and diplomatic missions. Manpower is also slowly growing; we will not build divisions at the moment, as we'll need every drop of it for Reinforcements in the upcoming Summer Offensive.

Transport capacity is a bit overloaded but keep in mind there are several divisions being redeployed. This will still be a problem this Summer however. If time permits, I will allow a small serial run of V2 to be built shortly, as they are manpower and cost effective and we can keep the English busy with them. I'm finished."

"Good to hear. We already know how our Armed Forces look like and what our plans against the Soviet Union are, so Heinz has nothing to say this time. I'd like to hear Julius, however."

"Thank you Martin. Our first preliminary step for the forthcoming Summer offensive has been completed: we hoped to take Sweden in mid or late February, and we are just right on schedule. Casualties have been very light, though the Kriegsmarine did take a bit of damage, and we advanced quickly through the Swedish mainland. We have had, *cough* some arguing with the Finnish government over the control of Stockholm, but besides that we subdued the Country quickly. The Luftwaffe has proven once again to be an invaluable and highly-trained instrument.

Our next step is now linking our troops with those of Hausser, and then push the Soviets out of the peninsula, preferably through encirclement. we estimate there are more than thirty Soviet divisions in Finland, and knocking them out of the war wouldn't be bad. Now that we have forty-fifty divisions in this region, it shouldn't be too hard hopefully. Our greatest aim would be to arrive in Leningrad before snow falls again."

"I hope you will be able to do that. Once the Northern Front is secure, we will be able to mount a three-pronged attack on the hearth of the Soviet Union. Joachim, diplomacy please."

Joachim von Ribbentrop had a sad facial expression which could not conceal. "Gentlemen, the news I bring you are many and almost not a single one of them are good."

Some of them knew what he was about to say, but many didn't.

"I will now exhibit such news in a climax order: from the least worrying to the biggest ones. First, Venezuela decided the Allies were far better than us. They declared war upon us, which is really the smallest of our nuisances. Apart from the diplomatic issues, here goes a status report of our Ally, Japan."​

051-16-SunkShips.jpg

"First goes the Sunk ships report. From the start of January to today March 1st, the Japanese have lost eleven ships and two smaller ships flotillas, among which lie the Carrier IJN Hiyo and the Light Carrier IJN Chitose. The Allies have also lost a handful of ships but no significant loss. We have also lost two U-boot flotillas to the Swedish, while sinking three of their outdated Battleships."

Poeple started to mumble as they thought that, if that was the least worrying thing, they wondered what could've been the worst.​

051-17-JAPSiam.jpg

"On a slightly worrying note, but that was easily predictable, the British are advancing in Siam. They have captured Bangkok and are marching forward against virtual opposition. Phnom Penh is being targetd also. The Japanese puppet may well switch sides very soon. British troops have also landed in the Vietnamese region."​

051-18-JAPChina.jpg

"The only brighter note is in China. Fourteen Chinese divisions have been pocketed and have been starving for weeks. No attack has been attempted from the Japanese Forces yet but the pocket seems a safe one, that is there is little chance that the Chinese will be able to link up with their pocketed troops. I don't know how this front will become, however, once the southwestern front becomes threatened with British troops after the total conquest of the Indochinese region."​

051-19-JAPPhilippines.jpg

"The Philippines, the first Japanese conquest at the expense of the Americans, are suffering US revenge as eighteen divisions have landed there. The Japanese only possess six divisions and the remainder of their fleets, now scrap metal.

Now that's not worrying at all. The most disturbing this is another news."

"Is there an end to this trail of negative news?"

"There is Martin, but you won't like this end."​

051-20-JAPInvaded.jpg

"The Americans have recently invaded the Japanese mainland. Important industrial centers such as Hiroshima, Fukuoka and Kagoshima have been captured, two Japanese divisions have been surrounded, and an American divisions is already at the outskirts of Tokio. The bulk of the American invasion is in Hiroshima however, with seven divisions in total. That might not be a huge number, but one has to consider that the IJN is no longer able to protect her shores, and that Japan only possesses six divisions scattered through her mainland. It is unlikely that the Japanese will ever see Tokyo once again in a few weeks, months at best. That is all, alas, from me."​

Last edited:
Take military control and save japan! It is impossible that in real life, American could have landed so easily! Japan would have risen against them!

Japan is Kaput I fear....too bad.....After so much promise with the victories in China......

I find it too difficult to control Germany, Italy, the minor Axis states, and Japan (on the other side of the globe no less). Too much to deal with with so little time....But it might be worth it to try to control Japan just to get them back on track.....

Don't forget to protect the southern Balkans from Amphibious landings....it will take too much time to transfer the Wehrmacht from deep in Russia when you launch Barbarossa II in the spring / summer.

Good luck.

KLorberau

wow, as the situation in china changes for the better for the japanese they loose their home islands. soon enough the full weight of the allied powers will be against you. Hopefully you can pull off a victory. and how does the eastern front look. have you made any headway against the bear?

Enewald - An end to the Soviet Union is what I hope at the moment :)

General_Hoth - I agree that it's quite unlikely, but the IJN is in shambles and most of the IJA is in China. It is not fair I know, but such it is. I won't assume military control, and even if I wished I cannot, as in WiF MC'ing costs some $17,000, regardless of nation army's size.

KLorberau - Japan can see her weeks of life counted on the fingers of a hand, I think. It would not be that stressful to control Germany and Japan at the same time, I would just need much more patience.

SouthCarolinian - Winter does not allow for many offensive actions, but something is moving already. The forthcoming updates will cover a lot of bloody attempts in this regard. So long as the full might of the Allies stays at seas, I do not fear them.

@All - I just recently visited the AAR Awards thread and I noticed that a few people have voted for this AAR, mainly for Best Gameplay and Narrative AAR, sometimes for Favorite New WritAAR. As a sort of newbie in the HOI forums - this being my first AAR - and as someone whose primary language is not English, this is a darn good small accomplishment I wish to thank you for :)

Update.

Grey Finland

0100 March 1st 1945

As the monthly meeting ended, Speer ordered that three V2 serial runs be built.​

052-1-V2.jpg

The first serial run out of ten was to be completed 27 days after the order had been issued.​

0100 March 2nd 1945
Kiruna, Sweden

Ringel was back chasing Red troops again. This time an unfortunate Soviet armored division paid the consequences of meeting Ringel.​

052-2-Kiruna.jpg

Actually, most of the dirty work was done by the Luftwaffe in bombing that divisions to burning pieces. But many more divisions would await the pursuing Germans.​

0000 March 3rd 1945
Foreign Ministry, Berlin, Germany

Von Ribbentrop greeted the Romanian ambassador. He seeked a fair deal, as usual.​

052-3-Oil.jpg

Certain commodities were becoming rare in certain countries, and Oil in Romania made no exception, at the rate Romania was trading it.​

0700 March 6th 1945
The skies above Umeå, Sweden

Soviet aircraft was not told that Sweden was now part of the Greater Reich.​

052-4-Air.jpg

Only their massive quantity saved them from certain death.​

March 9th 1945
Intelligence Department, Berlin

Ernst Kaltenbrunner was to receive his first good news in the field of espionage.​

052-5-Espionage.jpg

Three attempts at infiltrating a spy had been made against the United Kingdom, the USA and the Soviet Union. The first two succeeded, only the Soviet counter-intelligence was able to foil the attempt.​

0400 March 10th 1945
Tornio, Finland

As the Soviets had been pushed out from Sweden, Ringel pushed towards the borders of Soviet-occupied Finland. Only one motorized division occupied Tornio and it would shorten the gap between Ringel and Hausser's delicate position of Heeresgruppe Finland.​

052-6-TornioAttack.jpg

Ringel's aim was indeed that to link up with Hausser and Finnish territory.​

1000 March 10th 1945
The skies above Luleå, Sweden

Soviet aircraft was already given a warning by the Luftwaffe.​

052-7-Air.jpg

They proved their point by arriving en masse. Their numbers softened up their casualties.​

1700 March 10th 1945
Vaasa, Finland

Sensing a change of tide, Soviet troops began offensive again, this time against the weak spot of Vaasa.​

052-8-Vaasa.jpg

Hausser simply did not have enough troops to protect all of Finland's most important provinces, but two important assets were to help him this time: Ringel, and the Luftwaffe.​

052-9-OuluBombing.jpg

Dive bombers indeed showed up after two days of combat. Oulu was infested with bombs, at the expense of a whole Soviet division which perished under constant bombing.​

1600 March 12th 1945
Tornio and Vaasa, Finland

The single Motorized division defending Tornio was holding against forty-four divisions thanks to an unhospitable climate which hampered troop movement.​

052-10-Battles.jpg

The fighting in Vaasa showed a fast decline for the Soviets instead, as defenses had been bolstered with one more divisions and one Soviet division was on the verge of collapsing.​

Last edited: