• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
One humble feedback

Massive conquest is still the easiest path to greatness. This could perhaps be avoided if traits had values in percentage (hostile = -5% glory). Or if multiple kings were somehow less glorious than several kings in the family at the same time, because splitting kingdoms reduce your ability to wage war.

But the game dynamics definitely changed.
(I just spread the Hauteville family from the Canarias to Edessa. Was that an easy game ? Perhaps you should ask the late Fatimids and their Sevillan vassal, and their looming Seljuk friend.)
Since you spare prestige, crusades are crucial. Being the papal controller is a much more decisive asset than in DV vanilla since it enables you to wage war against christians.
I suppose that later in the game, Rurikovitch hunting and Constantinople burning become natural.

Last edited:
Glad you liked it and it changes the way you play.

Regarding traits, I had been thinking along those lines... It's true that right now, having a just King or a just random guy gives the same bonus, which is not great. OTOH, I don't want the effects of traits (which are quite random) to be too big... Traits changing your king's glory by say plus or minus 30% would add a lot of randomness to the formula. I also wants traits to give or take some glory to characters with 0 prestige and 0 piety, if only to avoid having two-third of the in-game characters stuck at 0. I need to think about it some more, maybe a better formula can be devised - a mixture of both, probably. Maybe whichever is largest, fixed effect or % effect, with the final % value capped in some ways... at say +/- 20% for all the traits combined?

For the bonus to split kingdoms, which I guess could be implemented simply by giving a set number of bonus glory for every King, Duke and Count no matter how many titles he has, that's a very good idea... The only thing I don't like about it is that since the saved game doesn't contain the history of titles, I'd only be able to give the bonus for current title holders, which means that the glory score would be more influenced by the current position than by past ones. Still, it would have interesting effects... I like it. I'll definitely think about it some more.

This does look very interesting indeed and I will try this when I get home!

For myself, I do not like to play where the ultimate End Game is world conquest. For myself, I would prefer an End Game that would evaluate how well your dynasty acted as Stewards of their realm. After I unite all of the Welsh, rarely do I have an instint to conqure the rest of the Europe.

Prehaps I like to colonize sunny N. Affrica though, hehe.

But I honestly do not know how to score this kind of thing. Would you have an idea how to score the 'stewarship' of a people by a dynasty?

Well, it's hard to see what concrete achievements would fall under "stewardship"... CK isn't a very sophisticated game when it comes to province development.

Right now, the main way to get a high peaceful score in DG with a small kingdom would be marrying your daughters to husbands with high glory or which are likely to have children with high glory, since women get a share of both their husbands' and their children' glory. Participating in crusades is also more important, since it drives up prestige and piety. Still, I doubt you can get a really high score while holding only Wales... but that seems fairly realistic ;) Oh, and if you are not anti-war, just anti-mass conquest, in DG fighting wars mostly for prestige makes a lot more sense than in a normal game. Hound those title-claimers!

Prehaps.

But after I posted this I was thinking on what would constitute stewardship of a realm and I think I have some ideas.

For me, a successful ruler is one who promotes stability in the kingdom, and to this end suports such things as trade. Then as today, a nation in conflict has effects on trade and stability, so in this sense the longer a nation remains at peace the the greater the score?

IDK.

I am thinking on looking at a series of events to flesh this option out.

Drachenfire said:
For me, a successful ruler is one who promotes stability in the kingdom, and to this end suports such things as trade. Then as today, a nation in conflict has effects on trade and stability, so in this sense the longer a nation remains at peace the the greater the score?

Finding out from a saved game how long the dynasty has maintained peace is close to impossible sadly... I don't think past wars are still represented in the file, and if they are, there's no ways I can think of of figuring out who had a title when...

Updated to version 0.3. See first post for details.

Main changes are big modifications to the glory formula and changes to the UI, including the display of characters' portraits.

Feedback welcomed, especially on the new Dynastic "Status" and Character "Chivalry" concepts.

Kinniken said:
Updated to version 0.3. See first post for details.

Main changes are big modifications to the glory formula and changes to the UI, including the display of characters' portraits.

Feedback welcomed, especially on the new Dynastic "Status" and Character "Chivalry" concepts.
thank you

edit: should modest be a -10 chivalry or is that wrong

Last edited:
hyme said:
edit: should modest be a -10 chivalry or is that wrong

Yeah, doesn't feel that intuitive... At the same time, the Chivalry factor is used mainly to increase or decrease Glory, and having modesty lower it sounds more realist than the reverse. I admit I'm not fully satisfied with how that chivalry thing should be calculated... I might tweak it in further updates. Suggestions on how to improve it are welcomed.

Hundhedning said:
I can't get this to work. Is it compatible with DVIP and More Kingdoms?

It should be... It doesn't have anything hard-coded that I can think of which would break mods. What error are you getting?

This looks very promising, but I can't get it to run either. It loads my save games up to "Linking Characters", and then crashes with a "KeyNotFound" exception. I'm using DVIP and the DV beta patch, but I don't think I have "More Kingdoms" installed.

While I'm commenting, would it be at all possible to default the "open scenario" dialog to look in the CK directory instead of My Documents? It's mildly annoying to have to browse to it every time.

Fall of Stars said:
This looks very promising, but I can't get it to run either. It loads my save games up to "Linking Characters", and then crashes with a "KeyNotFound" exception. I'm using DVIP and the DV beta patch, but I don't think I have "More Kingdoms" installed.

Weird... Can you send me the saved game to cedricdj@gmail.com? I'll have a look.

Fall of Stars said:
While I'm commenting, would it be at all possible to default the "open scenario" dialog to look in the CK directory instead of My Documents? It's mildly annoying to have to browse to it every time.

Good point, I'll do that in the next release.

This is a very cool idea! Thanks for taking the time to make it :)

A few bugs:
1) It doesn't close with the X button.
2) If you have too many titles they don't all fit in the dynasty bit.

Some feature suggestions:
1) It would be nice if there were more click to see places eg you could click on a character in Individual Hall of Fame and go to it.
2) It would be useful to be able to click a trait and see what characters had it.
3) Dead/alive/total columns in the dynasty window would be helpful

I also had the KeyNotFound error - it's possible I made it with a mod but didn't have it enabled. Sending it.

Last edited:
tombom said:
1) It doesn't close with the X button.
2) If you have too many titles they don't all fit in the dynasty bit.

Ok for 1. An oversight...

For 2, I'll see what I can do... Title lists can be nearly endless, I don't know where to fit it all...

tombom said:
1) It would be nice if there were more click to see places eg you could click on a character in Individual Hall of Fame and go to it.

Fair enough... I had the same thought when using my soft last night. Where should I add that - the two HOF or are there other places I'm missing?

tombom said:
2) It would be useful to be able to click a trait and see what characters had it.

In the dynasty window you mean? That's more complicated, especially UI-wise. I'll have to think about it some more.

tombom said:
3) Dead/alive/total columns in the dynasty window would be helpful.

True... Though I am concerned that the dynastic list is becoming a bit mashed. The proper way to solve that would probably be to let the user select visible columns. Maybe if I have time ;)

tombom said:
I also had the KeyNotFound error - it's possible I made it with a mod but didn't have it enabled. Sending it.

Ok, got it. I'll see if I can reproduce it tonight. It must not be happening in every game since you can use the app otherwise - is it a specific saved game with the others working fine? It could be due to small errors in the file (say a character with a non-existent parent) tripping my code. I know that I haven't done all the error-checking I could have.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

Volk80 said:
The great idea, the beatiful utility! Thank you, Kinniken.

Glad you like it :)

Volk80 said:
I wonder if any chance to apply the same method of CoA-generation to the game as you did for the utility? ;)

The quartered shields? You'll have to ask Paradox ;) It would be fairly simple for them to implement, but I doubt they will, as with so many things people on the forums have asked for...

Updated to 0.3.1. This is mostly a fix for the bug tombom and Fall of Stars were having - thanks for sending me the saves! It turned out that there were invalid weddings in your saves for some reasons which DG was not handling properly.
I also made a few UI tweaks suggested by tombom.

Thanks! It works fine now with all my savegames.

Also another UI bug I forgot to mention last time: any dynasty windows opened past the first have all the titles and status held by anybody past the first person way below where they should be, on the scrollbox of dynasty members.