• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(58579)

The Grand God of Fried Eggs
Jul 1, 2006
Sombreros, Submachine-guns and Social Revolution! - A Mexican mod-33 AAR

mx_1934.gif

(Flag by Juan Manuel Gabino Villascán, April 19, 2001)

Using mod-33 - Doomsday 1.3 (One of the best around with an imperfect but nice translation since my French is rather bad

Difficulty: Very easy/Coward - Some may say that must be a joke - it isn’t - I am playing Mexico - ME - XI - CO. I start with bad tech-teams - really bad ones I think - I start with 185 manpower and + 0.12 pr day (thank God the almighty it isn’t minus)….and 21/16 IC so I am even 4 IC’s from the second tech-team and cant even build IC until I have researched roads/bridges 33’ which will take until may 1933.
Now in order to spice up the game a bit I have made certain that the US civil war will trigger so that I not only will have a chance to meddle with politics in the south but also in the north - this will give me opportunities but will also present some dangers - this lovely game gives you nothing for free - especially not if you are Mexico and play the 33 mod.
Anyone who still wants to bitch about the Very easy/Coward level - press the back button on your browser and select another AAR - don’t load off your negative comments on that in the AAR - feel free to PM and flame me there if you really have to load that off your chest to keep your physical and mental health in working order. Tactical comments, suggestions and historical facts on Mexico etc however are very welcome if you feel like sharing them with me and the other readers.

Now let us all put on our sombreros and may I suggest finding the Tropico game and play the music - it will surely put us in the right mood - if you are still lacking the right feel - play some of the small videos from the Tropico game or hear your advisors comments on some of the more foolish things one can do in that game…..gave me some laughs when I played it…okay back to the actual mod-33 Mexico AAR - here we go….

Chapter 1

Mexico 1933

Once the cornerstone of the Spanish colonial empire - later independent and an empire still though shaken by inner turmoil and underdeveloped compared to many other nations - the playground of international ambitions from both old Europe and the growing northern neighbour USA - if civil war, warlords and actual war with other nations didn’t plague the country - famine, hunger, corruption and incompetence was always ready to take up the task of making life a living hell for those so unlucky to have been born in Mexico - That however is about to change - the Mexicans may be suffering but they are a proud people willing to fight for their beliefs and ideas - the test of time has deemed the Mexicans a people that will prevail and their fight for greatness and power shall now be told….

0001.jpg

As I mentioned in the intro - Mexico isn’t much to look at - It hasn’t got Chinas huge manpower or many natural riches - there is some oil which will be vital to trading for energy money and goodwill - especially since nobody really likes Mexico even if it starts out with a social democratic government.

But before we go into the political debate lets look at research and start up the basic tech we are going to need of we want to see Mexico grow up..

0002.jpg

Roads/Bridges ‘33 - and don’t expect to see any tech-team with better stats than 5 - but one can manage somehow - right?

0003.jpg

Now democracy may be fine and all but it puts certain restrictions on ones ability to act with force - especially if it may be viewed as an act of “aggression” by other nations because pure lust for the spoils of war drives one…I am also the type of player that doesn’t really like to take orders - if I am playing a game l like to be in control even with a minor like Mexico - one might even add that being a minor makes the option of free reign even more important.
Now since this kind of altering Mexico’s politics may take some years while I build up and indoctrinate the Mexican people towards war I have decided to guarantee the independence of every country likely to be thrown into war - gamey some may say but I am not planning on showing the peaceful industrialization of Mexico 1933 to whenever the game ends so I will simply call it the Mexican route to an active foreign policy in an attempt to better its relations with the outside world and being up to the responsibilities of an independent nation in a turbulent time….yada-yada-yada - add more political nonsense if you feel like it - you get my drift right? HEHE

Here is the glorious Mexican army and Airforce……not that bad actually when a revolt has to be smashed but apart from that not really needed but ill keep it just in case even if it drains my supplies-pool
In the lower corner you can see that I have put all my available industrial capacity into supplies until I can build more capacity - that will give me a reserve when I need it - I could make money instead but buying it I think is cheaper since I am rather ineffective at money production and money is a low “priced” commodity to trade with.

0004.jpg

Now - before we end this first chapter and actually start the game let us return to the political “debate”. One might ask - What are your goals and plans with Mexico? - do you have an actual agenda with Mexico?. An agenda? - No not really - I like to decide on certain things as they present themselves - yes I am a bit of an opportunist - with a pretty relaxed tendency to play it safe - I don’t like to gamble but then again I have certain moments were my brain lacks sufficient nicotine or caffeine to function on a rational level - plainly speaking - I go into the cowboy mode - or since we are now in Mexico - the Pancho Villa mode…..
I have dreams of greatness for Mexico however - making Mexico a great power - and taking all the Spanish speaking areas in the Americas may be my great goal - or vision depending on how mad you judge my ideas to be - trying to take back what Mexico lost to the “States” also wouldn’t hurt but I have no plans of taking the whole world or erasing the US from the map…..I might be a little crazy but I am not a loony toon - if Spanish speaking people are one day to rule the US or the like let them gain power from within the apparatus - I am not going to force Mexico City upon them as their capital….

Now let me end this chapter here before I bore you to death…..or one last word of warning in case you haven’t noticed - I tend to “blabber” on for ages on a theme if I do not restrain myself a little - for that I am sorry - it is one of my weaknesses but I hope you enjoy reading anyway.

“CC” - also called CrazyChicken in real life - for a reason

Last edited:
jesus your fast - who are you? speedy gonzales?

but yes even with easy etc ill need it so thanx mate

Chapter 2

16. February 1933

0005.jpg

0006.jpg

Lázaro stood and looked down at the outskirts of Mexico City from the balcony at his office - Eduardo the foreign minister stood hunched down and leaned against the wall just next to the door leading into the office from the balcony and smoked one of his slightly irritating smelly Turkish cigarettes.
- Why so worried Lázaro - a stock market crash isn’t a new thing you know. We have had them in every decade since God knows when - sometimes twice - we were lucky that we didn’t have any after ‘07 so ‘29 hit us hard - but this one - Eduardo shrugged - well we will manage like always in one way or another.
Lázaro sighed - yes I guess so but I am still a bit worried - those left over when a certain percentage of the population have jumped out of a window on the xth floor tend to do crazy stuff - and that is even more true if we are talking about a major power….
- Well, what do you want to do about it!? - what CAN you do Lázaro???
- Quite frankly I don’t have a freaking clue Eddie….but ill tell Benjamin and Pablo to strengthen the border-defences in the north just in case we have to act fast.
Now Eduardo was the one looking worried. - Easy, El Presidente - don’t do anything that could make those gringos paranoid.
Lázaro nodded - I know, ill simply have to talk with them and let them see that its just a safety measure - I am sure they will understand - they ave done likewise when we have had trouble here in Mexico.
- And marched into Mexico too if my memory does betray me, Lázaro….
Lázaro looked irritated at Eduardo smoking in the corner but nodded slightly.
- Yeah…..still, Eddie I don’t intend just to role over and play dead if the gringos go nuts for whatever reason - Mexico has already had its fair share of mess in the past century and I am not inclined to let that become an everlasting tradition…
Eduardo shrugged and puffed out smoke.
- Whatever you say El Presidente…what about the death of that Roosevelt fellow?
Lázaro shrugged - Send some flowers and a letter with the usual stuff about how sad it all is etc etc - you know - sweet-talk and look sad and cute like a puppy.
Eduardo threw the cigarette away and straightened out with a sigh - okay, anything else?
- Nah - not at the moment, Eddie - You can go.
Eduardo left and Läzaro stood alone there on the balcony watching the city…..and it didn’t get better across the border…

0007.jpg

0008.jpg

Ooookay - now I am really getting worried……

0009.jpg

What the flying freaks!?…..urgh…..I don’t think I should have eaten that taco….double the guards, call in the militia, close the borders - somebody do something drastic!!!…..eh no wait! - everybody stay calm…ehhh….get me something strong to drink!!

with greetings from "CC" to Admiral Yamamot - for more you'll have to wait a day or two - that goes for all of you greedy readers who love Mexican politics :D

Last edited:
i messed around with Iran from 1933 to 1939 and got like 60 something IC wondering if i wanted to make an AAR out of that - allying with england at the start to get good techs but i simply hated the constricted elbow-space so i tried mexico instead and that is a motherload of fun - it aint boring i tell ya - revolts, wars, betrayal, drama, big cigars and booze....stay tuned for more in a few days

Things look a little frisky in the neighbour to the north.

Ah caramba! Nazi US, that's gonna be interesting. Hope they don't plan to seek lebensraum in the South ;)

mod33 always looks like it has amazing alternate history possibilities... shame I can't get it to work... :(

but this looks like a very good start, keep it up!

What is the the name of the US head of government? :p

Depending on what the hell is about to go down up north, I'd say the land from Texas to California is your number one target. If they end up governing themselves, they don't know what's good for them! :D

Snakker du så mye utenfor internett også? ;)

Interesting.

Though what is the corellation between roads and bridges and nuclear waste disposal? Those sub-techs seems horribly mislabeled, to say the least.

Chapter 3

2. May 1933 - In Lázaro’s office Enrique, the armaments minister had found a chair and dropped some papers on Lázaro’s desk before sitting down.
Lázaro took the papers and looked at Enrique. - Good news I hope?

0010.jpg

- I would say so, our scientists have just worked out an improvement in industrial planning and the like, El Presidente.
Lázaro raised an eyebrow and looked at a few of the papers. - So can we start gearing up the industry?
Enrique nodded - We can start building right away if you like - and I have told the scientists and leaders of our industry to try to find a way to speed up research in some areas.
Lázaro nodded and smiled - Good, go right ahead and build up some capacity. Let all other concerns go second - We need more industry if we want to move forward.
- Thank you, El Presidente!

0011.jpg

- Anything else, Enrique?
- Don’t think so, El Presidente.
- Okay - see you next time Enrique.
Enrique left the office and Lázaro studied the papers

Just across the border strange things kept happening…
0012.jpg

Huh!? - Now your stretching it pretty thin guys - do you even know what you want!?!?

end of chapter 3

Holy smokes folks - it seems I have chose a fairly popular country - or maybe thats because nobody ever did a fairly long AAR on Mexico.....now I know i said that i would post chapters tomorrow but since there is this kind of response....oh what the heck...

MAILBOX

Now whats in the mailbox........bills, bill, Richard's head, chainsaw, and some letters....

Atlantic Friend: Yup! - I aint much of a tea-drinker

stnylan: True - so True - but it aint over yet up there! - and thanx man

Winner: Nope thier gonna have enough trouble with keeping thier pants on!

Capibara: well my Mexican comrade - glad to hear that!

rcduggan: hmmmmm.......using Arma or Doomsday? - I neever had any trouble with doomsday but then i never but any other fancy stuff in other than mod 33 when i have that going - no SMEP - CCIP - KGB - CIA - NFL - ROFL - or nuttin....maybe that the reason - clean install? taking the right second half of download for doomsday or Arma? - keep trying man, your missing out on grade A fun - in 90 percent of my playing time only use mod 33 or mod 34.

Mangudai: hmmm didnt look - so I aint got no clue - about that california - texas thing - weeeeeell......they did give mexico a lot of trouble back i the day buuuut - if it becomes a matter or national security etc etc etc - and yes I do talk just as much in RL - feel free to email me if ya wanna talk about stuff - counterfactual history, history, politics, eck you just pick a subject and we can go from there....

Herbert West: well the translation aint perfect but it beats the living woohaaah out if my french so I grabbed the translation the minute I saw it.

Last edited:
Might as well throw the next one at you......

Chapter 4

July 1933

Even though the new US government was weak and struggling the pressure of Mexico changing its policies towards its own was growing. Some wanted a full commitment to the communist cause others wanted a more subtle approach in case the coup in the US wasn’t a lasting one.
Lázaro however saw some opportunities in this case as time passed - if used right - the pressure coming from the US could secure his rule and he would gain more powers in his hand so that he could centralize more functions, pass laws faster and reform the country. The resulting unrest such a change in the governmental structure would cause would be acceptable if one took the benefits gained into consideration…

No-one could deny that democracy wasn’t really a gain these days - the fascists and the autocrats moved on while the democracies stood still and lost the backing of their people - a slight chance of policies would show the new US that Mexico looked with friendly eyes upon the new US without having to really step into a full commitment to the US-Stalinist idea, but would it be enough?

Eduardo had a couple meetings with the new US-ambassador who arrived 3 days after the communists had taken power in the US. Eduardo himself wasn’t the type of man to jump on a wagon at full speed - especially if the said wagon could be going downhill - Lázaro himself couldn’t agree more with Eduardo’s careful handling of the overly high-spirited amateurish replacement that now tried to fill out the old US-ambassadors duties - and seat. The old ambassador had been a fat bastard who hadn’t been the warmest of guests of the Mexican state but at least he hadn’t wanted much from them in terms of deals and agreements - this new skinny Stalinist wannabe from a rich family, however had “big trouble” tattooed all over his forehead and wanted them to join the “fun” that was going on in the US - Handing over troops to help out the US against riots - trade deals, alliance pacts - with Mexico being the junior partner - naturally!!! Etc etc etc - practically wanting Lázaro to unite Mexico with the US….

Eduardo and Lázaro where in Lázaro’s office and Lázaro looked agitated up at Eduardo
- Complete and utter madness! - tell him that I am busy, sick or whatever - but I am not seeing him before we can get a feel of what the hell is actually going on up there!. Sweet-talk him, take him for a walk, make him drunk, tell him all kinds of nonsense, hell - dance with him if you have to if that insures he forgets those foolish propositions - but don’t make ANY deals! - give him the “we are happy that you have gone left in politics, and see a bright future for YOUR state” etc etc etc.
Eduardo nodded
- Ill do whatever I can El Presidente to keep him off our backs, but I fear he isn’t an easy dance-partner. Amateurs like that man aren’t easy to handle - they go hard-line thinking that their national strength is an argument that cannot be ignored and end up demanding alliances and the like and feeling personally insulted if one does not like the idea.
Lázaro shuddered - God I wish we could just build a wall up there until those maniacs cool down a little and get sober!!!
Eduardo looked frustrated but still somewhat amused by the presidents remark
- in itself not a bad idea, but I fear that it might send out the wrong kind of message to our northern neighbour….
- Don’t I know it…damned mess!
Lázaro looked out the window, then back at Eduardo
- Keep that madman at bay for a week or two and ill see if I can make the ministers and the rest of the politicians pass a bill that changes a few things so we are more in tune with the new US-government - it will mean a lot of legwork but if we can isolate certain elements I am sure we can do it in one or two weeks - everybody know that at this junction in time we still have to look like we are dancing to whatever song the US throws at us - if we are lucky and careful we might just be able to balance things and come out of it a little stronger.

9 days later the cabinet could announce the new bill, changing the constitution minimally and giving the government a slightly stronger leftist touch.

0013.jpg

A random event I managed to work into the “story” - Mexico is now a dictatorship……the 5 percent dissent didn't mess up my building but if I had not produced that load of supplies……*shudder*

0015.jpg

The current state of Mexico....

End of chapter 4 - enough for today - more when i have gotten a few chapters ahead....

Last edited:
When you think the situation can't get worse, commies prove it can :rofl:

Damn commies, don't they have any decency? They dug Washington up and walked on him!? F*ck'em! Damn them all to hell!!! :wacko:

Sorry, just had to post that. Yeah, I would like some correspondence in the future. :)