+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How to modify Saves

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

How to modify Saves

I have seen this question asked so many times at the main forum, I figured just giving a link that points to a place that shows how to do it is much easier than explaining it.

Where are those saves?

For Non-Vista (Or Nista as I like to say)
    They are defaultly under Program Files/Paradox Interactive/Europa Universals 3/save games

For vista-

Quote Originally Posted by jordarkelf
    Vista is hiding the savegames from you in its virtualization store, since non-admin programs are not allowed to write to Program Files.

You will find your savegames in C:\User\YOUR_USER_NAME\App Data\Local\Virtual Store\Program Files\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis 3\mod\modname\saves or similar
    (In notepad the search function is under Edit-Find)

How do I edit a Personal Union out?

Use the search function, type "diplomacy" (no quotations) then type "Union" into the search function.
    You will see things like
    Code:
        union={
            first="POL"
            second="LIT"
            start_date="1386.7.1"
        }
    if I wanted to get rid of the Polish-Lithuanian PU then I would delete this. To find the union you want to get rid of you should continue going down with the search function.

How do I add a vassal or ally in?

You will need to add a section into the save like this, first with the vassal will be the leader. Should be simple.
    Add it into the big diplomacy section at the end of the save.
    Code:
        vassal={
            first="ENG"
            second="FRA"
            start_date="1453.12.31"
        }
    Code:
        alliance={
            first="ENG"
            second="FRA"
            start_date="1453.12.31"
        }

How do I edit a war out?
    Type "active_war" into the search function and look until you see your country's tag (Like GBR for Great Britain or HAB for Austria) in the war.
    (This is for a current war)
    You will see things like
    Code:
    active_war={
        name="Danish Swedish War"
        history={
            name="Danish Swedish War"
            1451.1.1={
                add_attacker="DAN"
                add_attacker="NOR"
                add_defender="SWE"
            }
            1453.7.14={
                battle={
                    name="Akershus"
                    location=17
                    result=no
                    attacker={
                        infantry=2000
                        losses=762
                    }
                    defender={
                        cavalry=2000
                        infantry=4000
                        losses=75
                    }
                }
            }
            1453.8.8={
                battle={
                    name="Hälsingland"
                    location=9
                    result=yes
                    attacker={
                        infantry=2000
                        losses=166
                    }
                    defender={
                        infantry=1000
                        losses=137
                    }
                }
            }
            1453.9.29={
                battle={
                    name="Värmland"
                    location=5
                    result=yes
                    attacker={
                        infantry=1438
                        losses=70
                    }
                    defender={
                        cavalry=1000
                        losses=140
                    }
                }
            }
        }
        attacker="DAN"
        attacker="NOR"
        defender="SWE"
        action={
            year=1453
            month=8
            day=28
        }
    }
    If you wanted to completely remove the war (No truce, not in the screen when you resign) you just delete the section. If you want to just end the war change "active_war" to "previous_war" and at the end of the section add

Code:

}
            }
            1453.12.1={
                rem_attacker="BUR"
                rem_defender="FRA"
            }
        }
        action={
            year=1
            month=0
            day=0
        }
    }
    over
    Code:
                }
            }
        }
        attacker="BUR"
        defender="FRA"
        action={
            year=1453
            month=12
            day=11
        }

}
    You will need to add the appropriate country tags and dates though!

How do I edit my country?

If you are using the Napoleon's Ambition expansion then you can search "human=yes" to find your country, if not you will need to search your country's primary culture, if you are using England then you would search "primary_culture=english".

Once you do this you should see something like this:

The history for your country is very long (unless you have only played a few years or decades), this part doesn't matter that much. It's just the history. So scroll down until it ends and you see the flags. OR you can just search "flags" and hopefully it will be your country's flags.

You have 2 areas to edit.
    First you have this section:

In this area you can delete flags for events, change your culture, religion, TECH GROUP, stability, money, and tech levels.
    For deleting flags you just delete the line, to change culture you just do something like changing "primary_culture=english" to "primary_culture=lombard" (if for some reason you want to be italian)

For religion you do something like changing "religion=catholic" to "religion=protestant"

For changing tech group you change "technology_group=latin" to "technology group=new_world" (You would probably only do it the other way around though)

For tech levels just change the numbers
    For stability and money just change the numbers

And then you have this section:

You can change National Ideas, government, agents, policies, and badboy.
    Government is easy, just change it to the government you want, you do something like change "government=constitutional_republic" to "government=revolutionary_empire"

National Ideas are easy, just type the NI you want and make sure it has a "=yes" next to it.

Policies can be tricky. You need to know which way the policy is going for the number, a negative (-) number means towards the left, so -5 innovative_narrowminded means you are 5 steps towards innovative.

How to edit Provinces

The best way to edit provinces is to use MichealM's scenario editor.

Open it up, find the save. Then click the province you want to edit.

Then you will get the province stuff.

It is easy to change, you just change the tags, little numbers, you should be smart enough to do it on your own.
    Last edited by spl; 01-09-2008 at 06:00.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Subscribed. I rarely have to edit saves, but this is a really useful post. Thank you!
    A mod for Europa Universalis IV that enhances religion in the age of faith and reason
    Over 1,100 events and decisions for over 30 religions
    Wiki
    Version 1.7.10 Standalone (October 17, 2014) or Steam Workshop

Path of Adventure: A mod like no other
    A procedurally-generated adventure quest for EUIV
    Version 1.7.02 Standalone (September 21, 2014) or Steam Workshop

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Very useful
    The Memoirs of Santiago Nadal: A Mexico AAR
    The User Created Nations Mod: The only mod where you play with countries created by the EU3 community! Come and try it!

Europa Universalis III LibrAARian
    My Inkwell, in case you want to read one of my works or future projects.
    Every day with you girl is sweeter than the day before.
    No era penal...

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

I knew you Texans were useful for some things.
    The Deconstructed Europe mod - Newest Release on April 27, 2008
    Deconstructed Europe: In Nomine - Beta 0.1 release June 8, 2008
    Province list - A little help with those pesky provinces details

“When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it … always.” -- Mahatma Gandhi

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey
    I knew you Texans were useful for some things.
    Aren't you a Texan too?

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

so how do you edit personal unions in?
    "I am a dummy-file.
    I'm here to ensure that the mod directory is created.

I have done my task, yay me!"

Haftetavenscrap's Whole World Mod (best mod in teh world!)

Divine WindHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEU3 Collectors Edition
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by t0m
    so how do you edit personal unions in?
    Exactly the opposite way to you take them out. Pick a date to make the union start, I usually find the last diplomacy entry and choose that date as it will be just before the save, and insert the text below changing to the nations you wish to have the union, with your country as first, unless of course you wish to be a junior partner.

Code:
        union={
            first="POL"
            second="LIT"
            start_date="1386.7.1"
        }
    Current game:

ATAGE for Divine Wind -A standalone version of Magna Mundi's Government Ranks system.

Optimum Scholarum Cogitationis -A collection starring SRI, Dei Gratia, ATAGE and much more.

Aegean Crusade -Finish what the Fourth Crusade started.

Keeping the ship on course Kazmir's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2Mount & Blade: Warband
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Blog Entries
    It's also good to set the start_date to the day when you saved or there could be some problems in the game.

More fundamentally: how do you find the save games to edit them?

(in eu2 they were in the save games folder, but now I'm on vista running eu3 the save games folder is empty)

Quote Originally Posted by rr99
    More fundamentally: how do you find the save games to edit them?

(in eu2 they were in the save games folder, but now I'm on vista running eu3 the save games folder is empty)
    Well, I am not sure with Vista. I will find out and add that at the top.

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

From another recent thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by jordarkelf
    Vista is hiding the savegames from you in its virtualization store, since non-admin programs are not allowed to write to Program Files.

You will find your savegames in C:\User\YOUR_USER_NAME\App Data\Local\Virtual Store\Program Files\Paradox Interactive\Europa Universalis 3\mod\modname\saves or similar
    I strongly recommend not installing any games in Program Files on Vista unless you are sure you will never be modding anything or they are designed with Vista's security in mind and keep all saves and mods outside the main program folder.
    "The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." --H. L. Mencken

Playing EU4

Download the Fix-it-Yourself Pack for HoI 1.06c (updated 11/14/05)
    Download the Unofficial fixpack for EU3 4.1b 4/29 beta or final 11/24 patch (updated 12/25/10)
    Download the text fixpack for EU3 Divine Wind (updated 2/11/11)

Europa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition500k club

Blog Entries
    spl should be credited for this amazing advise.

THANKS!!!!

I never thought about searching by culture to find a specific country, that seems so obvious now. Thanks for this!

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername
    I never thought about searching by culture to find a specific country, that seems so obvious now. Thanks for this!
    I never thought about until I was told by someone in a mp game, many of the mp players are very good modders (no where near Darken, Ubik, Dharper, Giagu etc. though.)

thx, your guide was really helpful

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSupreme Ruler 2020 GoldVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness

Quote Originally Posted by spl
    Well, I am not sure with Vista. I will find out and add that at the top.
    With vista there's a button on top "compatibility files" (not quite sure if it's the right translation, I'm running a german version of vista). Just hit it and you see the save files!

BTW: Thanks a lot SPL! Great editing guide!!
    Your's sincerly, Lord Stuart of the Disco

"I don't care if monday's blue, tuesday's grey and wednesday too, thursday I don't care about you, it's friday I'm in love!" (the cure)

Cities in MotionCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Hearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Mount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of India

And how do you remove Diplo-Spam?

The first game ever finished in Victoria II for me, a Multiplayer game I was the Game Master Rise of the Secondary Powers
    The Mexican Empire in Rise of the Secondary Powers MP game.
    My last HTTT MP, Grand Campaign.
    The best AAR I have ever seen.
    Well, this one also is very good CK AAR
    Austria in my first MP European Domination
    Excelent HOI3 Learning AAR by misterbean, Germany Tutorial Take 2

How to search in the Paradox forums.

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEast India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Complete
    Divine WindFor The GloryHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagicka
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2Rome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

while this thread has been resurrected I might as well take advantage of it.
    When you get rid of a country, their armies still exist in their ex-provinces. Anyway I would just like to know how to get rid of them(using the scenario editor if its possible)? So I don't have a load of pretty flags on my manly gray country. Also where about in the file would it be if I wanted to delete their armies?
    "I am a dummy-file.
    I'm here to ensure that the mod directory is created.

I have done my task, yay me!"

Haftetavenscrap's Whole World Mod (best mod in teh world!)

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsRome GoldSemper Fi
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU3 Collectors Edition500k club
    Europa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res Publica

Quote Originally Posted by t0m
    When you get rid of a country, their armies still exist in their ex-provinces.
    I think this only happens when a country is removed by some means other than annexing. e.g. forcing them to release a country that gets all their remaining provinces.
    Anyway I would just like to know how to get rid of them(using the scenario editor if its possible)? So I don't have a load of pretty flags on my manly gray country. Also where about in the file would it be if I wanted to delete their armies?
    The armies are in the section for each country; even annexed countries still exist in the savegame. Either search for their last monarch's name or their primary_culture (you'll obviously need to skip some false positives since many cultures have more than one country with that primary culture).
    "The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." --H. L. Mencken

Playing EU4

Download the Fix-it-Yourself Pack for HoI 1.06c (updated 11/14/05)
    Download the Unofficial fixpack for EU3 4.1b 4/29 beta or final 11/24 patch (updated 12/25/10)
    Download the text fixpack for EU3 Divine Wind (updated 2/11/11)

Quote Originally Posted by jdrou
    I think this only happens when a country is removed by some means other than annexing. e.g. forcing them to release a country that gets all their remaining provinces.

The armies are in the section for each country; even annexed countries still exist in the savegame. Either search for their last monarch's name or their primary_culture (you'll obviously need to skip some false positives since many cultures have more than one country with that primary culture).
    Correct, you can find all armies, navies, ships, and regiments in the country section for them. Just remove that part and they will be gone.

Quote Originally Posted by jafloresl
    And how do you remove Diplo-Spam?
    Will add that for the 15 days that we will still have NA for mp...(the loan crash and diplo-spam are fixed for In Nomine)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast