• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A Practical Approach

I will be taking Edzako's advice and attack Egypt. This would give me access to the Suez canal, give me a land connection to the African Ankara Pact states, and cause problems for Germany in the Mediterranean. I will also have a border with Mittelafrika

Forces are reassigned from the Persian campaign to East of the Sinai peninsula.

The Don-Kuban Union grows in power. They are now a major producer of rare materials. Considering their location on our border, German wolf packs will be unable to interfere with our trade, so this is a good thing if rare materials ever become a problem.

Ottoman forces in Libya are ordered to the Egyptian border to defend against enemy incursions during the war. They will not enter Egyption territory.

Dissent is finally taken care of, industrial capacity is now focused on upgrading some of the army which is still using Great War equipment.

If we intend to be able to fight Mitteleuropa on a large scale, we will need a somewhat large and capable army. Eighteen modern infantry divisions are ordered.

Georgia revolts, an outdated Armenian division is the only unit in the area capable of dealing with it. It is ordered to northern Georgia to put the rebellion down.

The Egyptian Campaign

This is the battle plan for the campaign. If all goes according to plan our forces should March unopposed through most of Sinai, take the Suez Canal from a German garrison of unknown size and strength, and quickly capture Cairo and Alexandria forcing the Egyptians to unconditionally surrender. Also included in this screenshot is the first German air action against our troops. The Reich seems to have a strong force of tactical bombers with competent commanders.

Germany has underestimated the sick man's cunning. Suez was defended by token forces that surrendered within an hour of combat.

Success in Cairo. Egypt has not been able to field a large army due to extreme resource shortages that have crippled their economy. This is working to our advantage.

In an act of desperation Egyptian forces cross the Libyan border, but are repulsed by waiting Ottoman forces that had predicted this eventuality. Also, war in Scandinavia. Sweden refuses to allow Syndicalism in their vicinity.

Cairo is taken, andEgyptian forces are expelled from Libya. The isolationist Union of Britain comes out of its shell to defend their Norwegian comrades.

Wiley bastards.... Germany launches an lands Flanders-Wallonian troops reclaiming Suez, putting our troops in Egypt out of supply as our already strained merchant marine has no chance of supplying all our troops in Egypt. this also happened while our forces were starting the final assault on Alexandria, putting the outcome of the battle in doubt as ammunition shipments to the front lines ceased.

Despite supply issues, the final battle for Alexandria is a success. Egypt, seeing no possibility of success, surrendered and opened supply lines to Libya who generously promised to provide supplies for Ottoman troops until supply lines were open again.

Aftermath of the Egyptian Campaign

An assault to retake Suez fails.

Germany reinforces the Flanders-Wallonian landing with 2 divisions of its own and bases an unknown number of planes in the area. Ottoman forces are ordered to converge on Suez from all directions in order to crush the pocket.

Mitteleuropan forces make a vert brief foray into Port Said.

Germany again tries to gain more land from Suez. The attempt fails miserably.

The Ottoman Empire after vanquishing the Germans in Suez and the Egyptians in their homeland. The war is going well, so far. All enounters with Mitteleruopa forces have ended in victory, but their air superiority is increasingly apparent as we close in on Mittelafrika. One Libyan force has already been bombed until it was forced to dissolve, and Goering is clearly not going to lose his command of Mittelafrika without a fight. The Georgian revolts have spread to the former capital, Tbilisi. These will have to be put down or the OE may face a resurgent and Mitteleuropa friendly Georgia behind the front lines.

Thanks for reading, but I could use some help. I don’t really like sharing a border with a country with same color as myself (in this case Libya). Does anyone know how to change a nations color or a thread to a topic about it? It would be much appreciated.

lifeless said:
you could always just invade libya yourself :p nice work tho!
Ah, how we miss diplomatic anexation :D

Originally posted by Georgiy Zhukov:
Also included in this screenshot is the first German air action against our troops. The Reich seems to have a strong force of tactical bombers with competent commanders.

Goering competent? Maybe in a twisted timeline such as this. :p

It think it is quite simple to change Libya's color. There is some text file that determines such, but I don't have access to the game files ATM, so can't tell you exactly where to go and what do do. :(

finally controlling the Suez can't be a bad thing, great update.

Very well done - The sick man is quickly becoming fully rejuvanated.

Though presumably this means now a war with MittleAfrika in the Sudan?

Edzako: I'll be heading for Mittelafrika now, since I now have a border with them.
Mangudai: Heh, well he seems to have skill evel 4 and 50+ XP on top of that, and at the head of 4 TAC wings my troops may have great trouble with those long desert marches. With the color changing thing, all I found was an excell file which I really couldn't understand, I'd think there would be a text file somewhere though.
Roman_legion: Thanks, I will.
rcduggan: I'm sure it will help.
Tayran: Thanks, I'l glad you like the style.
stnylan: Yeah, I'll have to deal with Mittelafrika now.

Update coming up tonight.

A New Foe- Mittelafrika

The annexation of Egypt gave us a border with Germany's autonomous colonies, known as Mittelafrika. Due to the new border, this is the next logical target to it, defeating Mittelafrika will end any threats regarding an invasion of Ottoman Sudan, and would effectively end German influence south of our borders. Forces are allocated accordingly.

The pope dies. This does not affect us. We also finish research on a new type of bomber, but the air force is a low priority at this point. We can only really project power on one front at a time with our current land forces.

Armenian forces prove unable to bring the Georgians down from their mountain strongholds, reinforcements are ordered in.

Germany colonial forces are building up at the border.

Modern agricultural methods are finished being researched which opens a slot to new more modern hospitals.

We get a painful reminder of our lack of an air force when a division in North Africa is forced to dissolve due to extreme casualties from bombing.

The ever persistent Georgian rebels abandone Tblisi when their position becomes untenable and head East.

The revolt spreads.

The end of the Second American Civil War. Former syndicalist areas remain rebellious.

Germany colonials cross the border and seize the Waw province. Their forces do not seem numerous.

Those rebels are persistent.

An New Foe- Mittelafrika Part II

Rebel territory is cut in half, and forces are ordered in to put down the revolt once and for all.

Rebels manage to reconnect their territory. Forces are ordered to get into closer positions before directly engaging the Georgians.

Industrial research is continued.

Germans seize more land and repulse the Ottoman troops who are tired from marching for weeks through undeveloped desert.

Dissent is down to acceptable levels, and industry is allocated to the reinforcement of military units.

A new corps is created, and ordered to the front lines.

An assault into El Obeid province is ordered, and the small colonial contingent quickly retreat back into their own territory.

Victory in El Obeid, and an example of German air power. The Reich seems obsessed with destroying these few units in anatolia, when their air force would be of much more use against my units fighting in Africa.

The Georgian rebels are now confined to North-eastern Georgia.

The Armenians are orderd to attack, but local commanders stop the attack after an hour for an unknown reason.

I really do like this Georgian sideshow.

A New Foe- Mittelafrika Part III

The new I Ottoman Corps proves its strength when it repulses Mittelafrikan forces from Malakal province almost immediately after they claim it.

Rebel forces are at last surrounded, and a final assault his ordered.

After a grueling five day battle, they are routed, but some of them manage to sneak through our lines and cause trouble another day.

Lt. General Pasha seizes Malakal, and repells a German attempt to retake the province.

El Obeid is seized, and held.

The elusive Georgian rebels rear their heads for the last time in Batum, and are crushed. Russia becomes more democratic.

Or a dictatorship, that works too.

Research into new field hospitals continues.

Colonial forces seem to have abandoned Waw, forces are ordered in with all nearby forces ordered to assist if need be.

Mittelafrikan forces do show up, but are easily repulsed.

The Georgian conflict certiainly was interesting. Never had that kind of partisan conflict before.

A New Foe- Mittelafrika Part IV

A more interventionist policy is decided for the year 1938.

Another corps is assembled and deployed to the front lines.

Waw is taken, and held. All Ottoman territory is retaken.

We clearly outnumber colonial forces, so a general offensive is ordered in all directions.

The offensive is generally succesful, although our forces are unable to break through at Fort Archambault.

It seems we are not the only ones with imperial ambitions based on old glory...

Buta, a part of the former Belgian Congo, is the first Mittelafrikan province seized.

A possible bad sign, Mittelafrikan forces repulse our forces at Entebbe. The long marches drain our armies' organization, making them easy to repell. This will prove difficult to deal with in undeveloped Africa.

Japanese bid for power. They seem to be among a growing group of nations that is not content with the status quo and wants to make their mark on the German dominated world.

Germany does not sympathize.

Overview:

Fighting in Africa is going to be long and hard, but Mittelafrika can't defeat me on its own. I'll post a VP map later. World developments are interesting. I hope Japan does well in the pacific and takes German colonies there.

The Georgian war was a lovely sideshow. When one is doing a historybook AAR it is the sort of thing you wish to happen cause it makes things so interesting. Even in a gameplay AAR it is a decent story.

I personally have found some of my most interesting campaigns in HoI2 have taken place south of the Sahara, but they all take a long time. Long distances and low infrastructure are real time-killers.