Would there be any interest in this?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

What would you do?

• Yes, I'd like to join, and code my own game.

Votes: 188 27,7%
  • Sounds good, I look forward to this.

Votes: 456 67,2%
  • No opinion

Votes: 22 3,2%
  • I don't like it.

Votes: 13 1,9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wenceslaus II said:
April 2nd, meaning jokes over :D

And you said paradox was making a second expansion for Ricky. not you!! :p

I think this whole thread is garbage - and look what happened to its forum, sigh...

I think Paradox is being way too trusting with their fans, or cutlas weilding ones, that aren't really fans, but fly the jolly rogger. :eek:

Something WILL go wrong with this, no matter how many legal parameters are set.

Don't do it P-dox!!!

This post stinks!!!
:mad:

Basically, what we (our lawyers) have been working on is a contract that gives you LICENSE rights to code and use, AND a publishing deal (on gg) for the game at the same time.

I'd expect it to be a few more weeks, and then we'd be able to present the plan.

Johan said:
Basically, what we (our lawyers) have been working on is a contract that gives you LICENSE rights to code and use, AND a publishing deal (on gg) for the game at the same time.

I'd expect it to be a few more weeks, and then we'd be able to present the plan.
UHUUUU News :D

Edit: oh and it sounds great

Johan said:

Thanks for the update :)

(BTW, how's the patch priority schedule?)

Johan said:

Sounds good.

Johan said:

Sounds good. Thanks for the update.

Johan said:

Good to know :)

thanks for the update Johan.

Now back to the pre-planning work for a new interpretation of Victoria so that when the process is ready to begin, the project can hit the ground running.

OHgamer said:
thanks for the update Johan.

Now back to the pre-planning work for a new interpretation of Victoria so that when the process is ready to begin, the project can hit the ground running.

Will you be consulting fans by taking inspiration from the Victoria II Wishlist thread, or will you create a new thread in the Victoria main or VIP forums? (Or neither? :p)

Oh my god the possibility of more Victoria content! This is a fantastic idea!

Open source / BSD license

I don't get the point or pressuring your lawyers with new licenses: why not release that code under BSD-style license ? BSD license offers you the opportunity to sell your own code improvement while ensuring the base code will remain open/accessible to everyone. Why do you still need to retain some sort of copyright ? This really reminds me that ol' QT vs GTK+ conflict within the Linux world. You see, the main problem of keeping some sort of copyright holder is that that owner of those copyright may arbitrary decide to use their owner-right and stop any further publishing/sharing of their codes. Given the amount of time/effort people may put into the development of their own game titles, this wouldn't be really fair.

And than comes the second point: commercialization of self-developed titles. The idea seems quite interesting, but not really practical to my opinion: I thing everyone here would agree with me that the best improvement ever made to to original titles are maintained/released by community works (thinking of CORE, AGCEEP and VIP). People involved in that projects hold the necessary knowledge to further improve that games *collectively*. So if one decides to sell a slightly modified version of a VIP powered new Vicky game, who's gonna have the right to earn the money ? The whole VIP team or the sole free-lance leacher ?

I mean, as a Linux user, I'm definitely the greatest fan of source publishing among commercial companies, and thus the move Johann addresses in the first post is really a smart one: possibilities for serious historical simulation are infinite. But also as a former BSD user, I know that the main problem during that crucial step is the license choice. There are so many examples around, where nice projects ended rather dramatically because of a license issue. People have been working on improving that situation since the very beginning of the computer area: it would surely be wise to rely on their experience/achievement to lay down the best way for further improvements on your titles.

qwerkus, I think there's no way Paradox would go that far with releasing their source codes under an open licence. I think it will be great fun even without completely "donating" the code to the community.

qwerkus said:
I don't get the point or pressuring your lawyers with new licenses: why not release that code under BSD-style license ? BSD license offers you the opportunity to sell your own code improvement while ensuring the base code will remain open/accessible to everyone. Why do you still need to retain some sort of copyright ? This really reminds me that ol' QT vs GTK+ conflict within the Linux world. You see, the main problem of keeping some sort of copyright holder is that that owner of those copyright may arbitrary decide to use their owner-right and stop any further publishing/sharing of their codes. Given the amount of time/effort people may put into the development of their own game titles, this wouldn't be really fair.

And than comes the second point: commercialization of self-developed titles. The idea seems quite interesting, but not really practical to my opinion: I thing everyone here would agree with me that the best improvement ever made to to original titles are maintained/released by community works (thinking of CORE, AGCEEP and VIP). People involved in that projects hold the necessary knowledge to further improve that games *collectively*. So if one decides to sell a slightly modified version of a VIP powered new Vicky game, who's gonna have the right to earn the money ? The whole VIP team or the sole free-lance leacher ?

I mean, as a Linux user, I'm definitely the greatest fan of source publishing among commercial companies, and thus the move Johann addresses in the first post is really a smart one: possibilities for serious historical simulation are infinite. But also as a former BSD user, I know that the main problem during that crucial step is the license choice. There are so many examples around, where nice projects ended rather dramatically because of a license issue. People have been working on improving that situation since the very beginning of the computer area: it would surely be wise to rely on their experience/achievement to lay down the best way for further improvements on your titles.

qwerkus - as i stated over in the VIP subforum, there are no plans to turn VIP into a fee-based mod. VIP may become a free mod for a new outsourced-developed booster should the VIP developers and the community in general decide that the booster is a vast improvement over Revolutions, but I can guarantee you that the VIP development team as a group will not be considering making an application to Paradox to develop a booster. Individuals within VIP (myself included) may do so as separate personal projects (much as I am currently doing with XieChengnuo in the Clio map project), but they will not be VIP-sanctioned or designed to work, at their release, with VIP.

so, if i understand well, there will be a sellect group of modders alowed to use the source code? and then sell it through gamers gate? well if thats true that stinks:p. cause i'm quite intrested in programming, but dont want to devote myself in a team and work day and night on mod..

I got a modder in myself I know it but am not a programmer….yet need more skills great news buy the way.

martmol said:
so, if i understand well, there will be a sellect group of modders alowed to use the source code? and then sell it through gamers gate? well if thats true that stinks:p. cause i'm quite intrested in programming, but dont want to devote myself in a team and work day and night on mod..

I don't think it will be a select group in that if you want to form your own group with a few others, and apply for a licensing agreement, I don't think there will be anyone to veto the project, so long as you have at least one member who is familiar with C++ (IIRC that is the language Paradox uses in the older games).

But Paradox is not, AFAIK, going to just release the source code to the masses gratis. And rightfully so, from a business perspective, since they've invested large amounts of resources in its development. If they can continue to make profits off of the old engine sourcecode, all the better for the company's bottom line. And in the end, that is what matters most when you are a small business.

qwerkus said:

Paradox has to pay it's fees. Its a company, and not group of open source programmers. They live from the fact that they have something to release which isn't out there for free.

Therefore we should be lucky that paradox took the step announced with this thread and that they let us have a look into their cards. That's a great honour and nothing which should be critized.

The biggest danger I see in this is the possibility of forking the code. If two mod teams for the same game develop expansions with different features you won't be able to merge them as you can with an open-source project. Then if a third team wants to develop an expansion they need to decide whether to build on one of the previous ones (and forcing people to buy the previous one) or going back to the vanilla source and re-creating much of the work the other teams have already done.

jdrou said:
The biggest danger I see in this is the possibility of forking the code. If two mod teams for the same game develop expansions with different features you won't be able to merge them as you can with an open-source project. Then if a third team wants to develop an expansion they need to decide whether to build on one of the previous ones (and forcing people to buy the previous one) or going back to the vanilla source and re-creating much of the work the other teams have already done.

I imagine there'll be a special forum for this stuff, with only people with access to the source being able to see and post in it. There, people could (if they are generous) share discoveries and tweaks with each other for mutual benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.