Would there be any interest in this?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

What would you do?

• Yes, I'd like to join, and code my own game.

Votes: 188 27,7%
  • Sounds good, I look forward to this.

Votes: 456 67,2%
  • No opinion

Votes: 22 3,2%
  • I don't like it.

Votes: 13 1,9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
coreymas said:
I can see it now -- a post WW2 game.....

A detailed game set in the turbulent 40's and 50's where the US and Soviets are supreme in the world... Can you build nukes faster than your enemy can.... can you have 1 more human being than your enemy after MAD?

Boring.......

Since WW2 there really has not been a Strategic level war..... how do you fit a Strategic game into a Tactical War era?

Corey
Thats why it should be a vicky game. HoI is based on warfare, which I agree with you is not what the post WW2 era was mainly about. Nor do I think that a nuclear race (or conclusion) is pretty intresting.

I´m looking for a global strategic game with focus mainly on economical and political moves in order to gain de facto supremacy over the world. Not a wargame, although it should still be possible. I´m basicly wanting a vicky game set in the modern era.

White Daimon said:
Thats why it should be a vicky game. HoI is based on warfare, which I agree with you is not what the post WW2 era was mainly about. Nor do I think that a nuclear race (or conclusion) is pretty intresting.

I´m looking for a global strategic game with focus mainly on economical and political moves in order to gain de facto supremacy over the world. Not a wargame, although it should still be possible. I´m basicly wanting a vicky game set in the modern era.

I agree a game in the cold war period would be interesting
IF its done right
And I don't think its possible to make the AI clever enough yet

Exactly. The Cold War was one of the most peaceful eras of human history. It should focus on internal management foremost. :)

And I don't mind playing an era in which I live. Give me a game that models reals states as much as possible, set in the present day. Then give me the power to control them, and let's see what I can do with them that their real leaders can't!

*orgasm*

I do belvie AI is too stupid to handel a cold war paradox style game, but if someone manage to do it anyway that'd be great :)
Prinz Wilhelm said:
Am I the only one who thinks that Falalan is really an ANNOYING song?
Most people find it annoying the first few times they hear it, but when you have found the true blessing of paradox you learn the sheer beauty of it. That's what seperate paradoxians from the animals, cause there's sure not much else differenting.

Wiking said:
Exactly. The Cold War was one of the most peaceful eras of human history. It should focus on internal management foremost. :)

And I don't mind playing an era in which I live. Give me a game that models reals states as much as possible, set in the present day. Then give me the power to control them, and let's see what I can do with them that their real leaders can't!

*orgasm*

If someone made a modern-day scenario and it becomes popular, no matter how realistic it is, I predict that someone will write an AAR describing their World Conquest as East Timor within a matter of weeks of the scenario's release.

(Incidentally, a modern-day scenario can't really have 'historical events' and so on, so maybe Paradox games are not really suited to this...)

For this, I'd learn to code. High on my list would be fixing the pop problem in Victoria, or making EUIII with EUII's graphics (O.K., I know I'm probably in a minority in thinking EUIII really went downhill in that respect).

However, I think this venture will depend quite heavily on what sort of contract this is released under. And how much different groups get and at what cost. For example, as a modder I'd value documentation for the source code very highly (by that I mean things like line # 10499 is what makes pops prefer larger states when migrating), and while I'd probably pay for just piles of code, I wouldn't be willing to pay nearly as much for it. Could one create a mod and then offer it for free on GamersGate, or would you always have to charge something?

fasquardon

Wiking said:
Exactly. The Cold War was one of the most peaceful eras of human history.
Tell that to people who lived in Korea/Cuba/Vietnam/Afganisthan and e.t.c. :(

White Daimon said:
How about a game that concentrates solely on smaller wars that took place during Cold war? Something like HoI2, but instead of global map, you have 2-4 maps, which contain more detailed battlefields like Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos, North/South Korea. Then modify scenario files so each scenario would feature different map. Add here improved combat and economics system and it would be pretty good theater of war simulation.

Although its a very smart idea on how to earn extra cash at the expense of the fanboys, I am yet to see wich games will the source be released.

In the past and present i have to buy booster packs to have acess to proper game support(updates/patches), and now this... :eek:o

Knight Richard said:
why just 1.10?
or a ck/vicky/euii blend
drools

Hah, if they throw in HoI2, and enough interested programmers are rounded up, I might join you in that exercise in lake creation.

fasquardon

Snake IV said:
I do belvie AI is too stupid to handel a cold war paradox style game, but if someone manage to do it anyway that'd be great :)
The AI is never good enough and thats the truth. But then again, theres no rule that you must play exlusively with the AI and never with humans ;) And even if you had to, then I`m certain people would get a lot of fun out of it. Just like people have with playing SP HoI or Vicky.
If someone made a modern-day scenario and it becomes popular, no matter how realistic it is, I predict that someone will write an AAR describing their World Conquest as East Timor within a matter of weeks of the scenario's release.
If they did, then I would love to read it :)

But actually something like this might have happended IRL, albeit on a smaller scale. Many of the african warlords supported by the superpowers were quite evil warmongering people. A small country played by a human (ethiopia anyone) could conceivably rise to greatness if it was supported by a super power but none of its neigbours were.

How about a game that concentrates solely on smaller wars that took place during Cold war? Something like HoI2, but instead of global map, you have 2-4 maps, which contain more detailed battlefields like Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos, North/South Korea. Then modify scenario files so each scenario would feature different map. Add here improved combat and economics system and it would be pretty good theater of war simulation.
Dunno. Something must be done so that the wars which happended over a relatively small area, say vietnam, isnt as simple as conquering one province and then pressing the annex button. Not sure how good your suggestion is. But it is certainly an option.

I doted "Sounds good" because i don't have any idea about coding, so i suppose that a new thread titled "Dear Code Moders, i would like to...." making petitions for them like implementing the missile carrier command for subs in HOI2 ,creating a new command to change flag of the country like vicky or even creating a new tech only command to quit the fog from the whole map, or only a part of it in order to simulate the satellite techs and space related things like those.

In other side i agree about the details issue, the idea is good but the details, after a deep examination, looks a bit... machiavellian.

Oh BTW, what about releasing the code for the really old games that generates very few profit for paradox like HOI1 and EU1 for free, and having to create a group, sign a contract or whatever with the rest?

Kretoxian said:
Oh BTW, what about releasing the code for the really old games that generates very few profit for paradox like HOI1 and EU1 for free, and having to create a group, sign a contract or whatever with the rest?
To my understanding it seems the source codes will be free, and that the only cost will be put upon the users of these community made boosterpacks/new games which will be sold over gamesgate. With the profits divided (presumably) between paradox and the developers.

White Daimon said:
Dunno. Something must be done so that the wars which happended over a relatively small area, say vietnam, isnt as simple as conquering one province and then pressing the annex button. Not sure how good your suggestion is. But it is certainly an option.
And who said that such a game should implement HoI annexation system? Since source code is in your hands, you can modify it as you want(unless ofcourse Paradox issues some restrictions on it) Add whatever things you want, like additional combat modifiers, resources, economical/ploitical options. Possibilities are endless.

Foxbat said:
And who said that such a game should implement HoI annexation system?
Correct. My point was also simply that there should be some way of allowing a war to strech for years without making it artificially boring (like massive combat penalties).
Since source code is in your hands, you can modify it as you want(unless ofcourse Paradox issues some restrictions on it) Add whatever things you want, like additional combat modifiers, resources, economical/ploitical options. Possibilities are endless.
ohhhhhhh yeah baby..... :D :D :D :D :D :D

hmmmm.... I'm considering opening a thread dedicated to the possibility of a Vicky: Cold war game. Both as a place to discuss all the godly details that might come in such a game and as a gentle reminder to the developers of what will happen if they give us vikys source codes ;)

It seems to me that there's a lot of interest in developing something new for most of the games.
It will be real interesting to see what comes out of this.

I wonder when we will get some news on this from paradox.
hopefully soon, because the suspense is killing me :)

Dietmar1982 said:
It seems to me that there's a lot of interest in developing something new for most of the games.
It will be real interesting to see what comes out of this.

I wonder when we will get some news on this from paradox.
hopefully soon, because the suspense is killing me :)
Me to!! It really is exciting news as a Hoi1 player to see something new would be brilliant!.
I will be surprised if they release anything for Hoi2 fans as it is still really a new game with recent add ons.
Also i think they might start with the codes for the oldest games first as to expand the longevity of this new project.If they release the later stuff at the same time probability is that the work would only really happen with the newer games.

Dr

Status
Not open for further replies.