View Poll Results: What would you do?

Voters
679. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'd like to join, and code my own game.

188 27.69%
  • Sounds good, I look forward to this.

456 67.16%
  • No opinion

22 3.24%
  • I don't like it.

13 1.91%
Closed Thread
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Would there be any interest in this?

Resident Iranien Fanatic
    DiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis III: In NomineVictoria 2

Quote Originally Posted by coreymas
    I can see it now -- a post WW2 game.....

A detailed game set in the turbulent 40's and 50's where the US and Soviets are supreme in the world... Can you build nukes faster than your enemy can.... can you have 1 more human being than your enemy after MAD?

Boring.......

Since WW2 there really has not been a Strategic level war..... how do you fit a Strategic game into a Tactical War era?

Corey
    Thats why it should be a vicky game. HoI is based on warfare, which I agree with you is not what the post WW2 era was mainly about. Nor do I think that a nuclear race (or conclusion) is pretty intresting.

I´m looking for a global strategic game with focus mainly on economical and political moves in order to gain de facto supremacy over the world. Not a wargame, although it should still be possible. I´m basicly wanting a vicky game set in the modern era.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

Quote Originally Posted by White Daimon
    Thats why it should be a vicky game. HoI is based on warfare, which I agree with you is not what the post WW2 era was mainly about. Nor do I think that a nuclear race (or conclusion) is pretty intresting.

I´m looking for a global strategic game with focus mainly on economical and political moves in order to gain de facto supremacy over the world. Not a wargame, although it should still be possible. I´m basicly wanting a vicky game set in the modern era.
    I agree a game in the cold war period would be interesting
    IF its done right
    And I don't think its possible to make the AI clever enough yet
    Gotikiller's Pop Splitter v 5.5 (Updated by Dietmar1982) - Download: Mediafire! and wiki
    Details about the splitter

Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyFor The Glory

Exactly. The Cold War was one of the most peaceful eras of human history. It should focus on internal management foremost.

And I don't mind playing an era in which I live. Give me a game that models reals states as much as possible, set in the present day. Then give me the power to control them, and let's see what I can do with them that their real leaders can't!

*orgasm*

DiplomacyDivine WindFor the MotherlandEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeVictoria 2

I do belvie AI is too stupid to handel a cold war paradox style game, but if someone manage to do it anyway that'd be great
    Quote Originally Posted by Prinz Wilhelm
    Am I the only one who thinks that Falalan is really an ANNOYING song?
    Most people find it annoying the first few times they hear it, but when you have found the true blessing of paradox you learn the sheer beauty of it. That's what seperate paradoxians from the animals, cause there's sure not much else differenting.
    Snake IV used to be a regular, but not anymore. You might, however, come across him at rare occasions, but that is so seldom you'll manage.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiking
    Exactly. The Cold War was one of the most peaceful eras of human history.
    Yes the cold war was so very peaceful .

A cold war era could work, if it's centred around playing the cold war game and the USA and Russia avoiding a nuclear nightmare at all costs.

Crusader Kings IIFor The GloryEuropa Universalis: Rome500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Exactly. The Cold War was one of the most peaceful eras of human history. It should focus on internal management foremost.

And I don't mind playing an era in which I live. Give me a game that models reals states as much as possible, set in the present day. Then give me the power to control them, and let's see what I can do with them that their real leaders can't!

*orgasm*
    If someone made a modern-day scenario and it becomes popular, no matter how realistic it is, I predict that someone will write an AAR describing their World Conquest as East Timor within a matter of weeks of the scenario's release.

(Incidentally, a modern-day scenario can't really have 'historical events' and so on, so maybe Paradox games are not really suited to this...)

For this, I'd learn to code. High on my list would be fixing the pop problem in Victoria, or making EUIII with EUII's graphics (O.K., I know I'm probably in a minority in thinking EUIII really went downhill in that respect).

However, I think this venture will depend quite heavily on what sort of contract this is released under. And how much different groups get and at what cost. For example, as a modder I'd value documentation for the source code very highly (by that I mean things like line # 10499 is what makes pops prefer larger states when migrating), and while I'd probably pay for just piles of code, I wouldn't be willing to pay nearly as much for it. Could one create a mod and then offer it for free on GamersGate, or would you always have to charge something?

fasquardon
    Was:
    Velikii Kniaz of Ruskaya in AfaMG Thread, Diplomacy, AAR.
    King of Navarra in tBCoF: Thread, Diplomacy, AAR.
    Shahanshah of Sakartvelo in TWBW: Thread, AAR.
    Propheteocrat of United Georgia and Emperor of the Seljuk Turks in TWBW - In the Balance: Thread, AAR.
    Tyrannos of the Second Republic of Rome, High Speaker of United Georgia and Emperor of the Seljuk Turks in ARoW: AAR
    deToulouse Emperor of West Rome in CotF AAR
    Is:
    MweneKongo in DoG

200k clubDarkest HourHearts of Iron IIISemper Fi

Blog Entries
    Exactly. The Cold War was one of the most peaceful eras of human history.
    Tell that to people who lived in Korea/Cuba/Vietnam/Afganisthan and e.t.c.

How about a game that concentrates solely on smaller wars that took place during Cold war? Something like HoI2, but instead of global map, you have 2-4 maps, which contain more detailed battlefields like Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos, North/South Korea. Then modify scenario files so each scenario would feature different map. Add here improved combat and economics system and it would be pretty good theater of war simulation.

Although its a very smart idea on how to earn extra cash at the expense of the fanboys, I am yet to see wich games will the source be released.

In the past and present i have to buy booster packs to have acess to proper game support(updates/patches), and now this...

Quote Originally Posted by Knight Richard
    why just 1.10?
    or a ck/vicky/euii blend
    drools
    Hah, if they throw in HoI2, and enough interested programmers are rounded up, I might join you in that exercise in lake creation.

fasquardon
    Was:
    Velikii Kniaz of Ruskaya in AfaMG Thread, Diplomacy, AAR.
    King of Navarra in tBCoF: Thread, Diplomacy, AAR.
    Shahanshah of Sakartvelo in TWBW: Thread, AAR.
    Propheteocrat of United Georgia and Emperor of the Seljuk Turks in TWBW - In the Balance: Thread, AAR.
    Tyrannos of the Second Republic of Rome, High Speaker of United Georgia and Emperor of the Seljuk Turks in ARoW: AAR
    deToulouse Emperor of West Rome in CotF AAR
    Is:
    MweneKongo in DoG

Resident Iranien Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Snake IV
    I do belvie AI is too stupid to handel a cold war paradox style game, but if someone manage to do it anyway that'd be great
    The AI is never good enough and thats the truth. But then again, theres no rule that you must play exlusively with the AI and never with humans And even if you had to, then I`m certain people would get a lot of fun out of it. Just like people have with playing SP HoI or Vicky.
    If someone made a modern-day scenario and it becomes popular, no matter how realistic it is, I predict that someone will write an AAR describing their World Conquest as East Timor within a matter of weeks of the scenario's release.
    If they did, then I would love to read it

But actually something like this might have happended IRL, albeit on a smaller scale. Many of the african warlords supported by the superpowers were quite evil warmongering people. A small country played by a human (ethiopia anyone) could conceivably rise to greatness if it was supported by a super power but none of its neigbours were.

How about a game that concentrates solely on smaller wars that took place during Cold war? Something like HoI2, but instead of global map, you have 2-4 maps, which contain more detailed battlefields like Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos, North/South Korea. Then modify scenario files so each scenario would feature different map. Add here improved combat and economics system and it would be pretty good theater of war simulation.
    Dunno. Something must be done so that the wars which happended over a relatively small area, say vietnam, isnt as simple as conquering one province and then pressing the annex button. Not sure how good your suggestion is. But it is certainly an option.

Darkest HourIron Cross

I doted "Sounds good" because i don't have any idea about coding, so i suppose that a new thread titled "Dear Code Moders, i would like to...." making petitions for them like implementing the missile carrier command for subs in HOI2 ,creating a new command to change flag of the country like vicky or even creating a new tech only command to quit the fog from the whole map, or only a part of it in order to simulate the satellite techs and space related things like those.

In other side i agree about the details issue, the idea is good but the details, after a deep examination, looks a bit... machiavellian.

Oh BTW, what about releasing the code for the really old games that generates very few profit for paradox like HOI1 and EU1 for free, and having to create a group, sign a contract or whatever with the rest?
    Visit the Cold War mod subforum: (if you like to remember old projects)

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...play.php?f=292

Want CPack style icons for DH Full? Then visit the thread below:

Cpack Style icons 2779 icons so far at 15/03/2013 Beta 2.1 Released!

Do you know about any tech team or any airplane, tank, artillery gun, ship or whatever piece of weaponry that you think should be included into the game? then please visit and suggest something in the Models & TT improvement thread. (click over the minimod's name to visit it).

Cold War Tech Tree Expansion extending DH tech tree from the early 60s to mid 90s. Beta 1.1 Released!

Resident Iranien Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Kretoxian
    Oh BTW, what about releasing the code for the really old games that generates very few profit for paradox like HOI1 and EU1 for free, and having to create a group, sign a contract or whatever with the rest?
    To my understanding it seems the source codes will be free, and that the only cost will be put upon the users of these community made boosterpacks/new games which will be sold over gamesgate. With the profits divided (presumably) between paradox and the developers.

200k clubDarkest HourHearts of Iron IIISemper Fi

Blog Entries
    Dunno. Something must be done so that the wars which happended over a relatively small area, say vietnam, isnt as simple as conquering one province and then pressing the annex button. Not sure how good your suggestion is. But it is certainly an option.
    And who said that such a game should implement HoI annexation system? Since source code is in your hands, you can modify it as you want(unless ofcourse Paradox issues some restrictions on it) Add whatever things you want, like additional combat modifiers, resources, economical/ploitical options. Possibilities are endless.

Resident Iranien Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Foxbat
    And who said that such a game should implement HoI annexation system?
    Correct. My point was also simply that there should be some way of allowing a war to strech for years without making it artificially boring (like massive combat penalties).
    Since source code is in your hands, you can modify it as you want(unless ofcourse Paradox issues some restrictions on it) Add whatever things you want, like additional combat modifiers, resources, economical/ploitical options. Possibilities are endless.
    ohhhhhhh yeah baby.....

Resident Iranien Fanatic

hmmmm.... I'm considering opening a thread dedicated to the possibility of a Vicky: Cold war game. Both as a place to discuss all the godly details that might come in such a game and as a gentle reminder to the developers of what will happen if they give us vikys source codes

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

It seems to me that there's a lot of interest in developing something new for most of the games.
    It will be real interesting to see what comes out of this.

I wonder when we will get some news on this from paradox.
    hopefully soon, because the suspense is killing me
    Gotikiller's Pop Splitter v 5.5 (Updated by Dietmar1982) - Download: Mediafire! and wiki
    Details about the splitter

Quote Originally Posted by Dietmar1982
    It seems to me that there's a lot of interest in developing something new for most of the games.
    It will be real interesting to see what comes out of this.

I wonder when we will get some news on this from paradox.
    hopefully soon, because the suspense is killing me
    Me to!! It really is exciting news as a Hoi1 player to see something new would be brilliant!.
    I will be surprised if they release anything for Hoi2 fans as it is still really a new game with recent add ons.
    Also i think they might start with the codes for the oldest games first as to expand the longevity of this new project.If they release the later stuff at the same time probability is that the work would only really happen with the newer games.

Dr
    NEW Hoi1 CORE v0.92b Mod DOWNLOAD New -Release 3/1/2010 http://www.stonyroad.de/forum/showthread.php?t=9249

Hoi1 Diehard!
    TGW 1.1 (I am just popping across the world in my zeppelin! )
    New Hoi1 TGW 1.1 Mini-mod v.3 Now Available!16/12/2007 http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...93#post7843793
    Paradox Interactive Forums - New Hoi1 TGW 1.1 Mini-Mod v.3 HDP !!!

New Hoi1 sprites from http://www.stonyroad.de/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11
    Stony Road Graphics&Sprites - The Stony Road Forum
    http://www.stonyroad.de/forum/showthread.php?t=5923
    Dr Rare's New Sprites! - The Stony Road Forum

Just call me Yoda in private!
    For The Glory

Quote Originally Posted by cool-toxic
    Guess it would be so much easier to fix and change some things in the games without changing the timeframe much.
    And many things to fix...
    For the Glory: A Europa Universalis Game
    Go to FTG forum!

AGCEEP High Council Member
    AGCEEP Website

Relisez les couplets IX et XI de la Marseillaise

Achtung PanzerArsenal of DemocracyFor The Glory

Quote Originally Posted by Foxbat
    Tell that to people who lived in Korea/Cuba/Vietnam/Afganisthan and e.t.c.
    Take any other roughly 50 years of human history and compare. MAD, as paradoxical as it sounds, reduced warfare immensely.

However, this is not what this topic is about.

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast