Would there be any interest in this?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

What would you do?

• Yes, I'd like to join, and code my own game.

Votes: 188 27,7%
  • Sounds good, I look forward to this.

Votes: 456 67,2%
  • No opinion

Votes: 22 3,2%
  • I don't like it.

Votes: 13 1,9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
We're thinking about an releasing the sourcecode of a few older games to people with programming knowledge, and an interest in the games. You would get the opportunity to make your own expansion/boosterpack of our games, which you could then sell through gamersgate and earn money on your work. We would provide a forum for those involved, where you can communicate and get support.

We see this as an excellent opportunity to increase the life of the products and for our fans who improve the games to earn some extra money. Of course you would have to sign NDA's and a contract for it.

Last edited:
what kind of restrictions will apply ? Will the code be free in the sense of a GNU license, will there be royalties to Paradox or whoever, etc. ?

the limits are not precised

hildoceras said:
what kind of restrictions will apply ? Will the code be free in the sense of a GNU license, will there be royalties to Paradox or whoever, etc. ?

the limits are not precised

We would sell everything through gamersgate and own the copyright. All code developed would be accessible for those in the program.

We had the following assets.

* A game-engine that strategygames can be built in, with several version for various game-types.
* A distribution system where amount of sales is irrelevant for being distributed at all, that scales nicely.
* A large community of people that wants to make their own dreams come true.

Reactions:
I'd look forward to it. If all went well, this would encourage the community to band together for the older games and produce truly excellent booster packs and such that, if regularly maintained and so on, would have the potential to do really well.

If not, then the result would be 6 different booster packs that do not work with eachother. :p

Sure, me too!

Maybe an improvement to Vicky is possible!! :D

To which games would it apply ? Only EU/EU2/CK/Vicky/HoI/HoI2 ?

Could a developer distribute "its" game for no money if he wants too ?

How will voluntaries be selected ?

Last edited:
Wow. I really didn't see this coming.

Splendid idea though, given there's a broad interest for it.

Seems like I'll have to (try to) learn a bit of coding then. :D

Good show, Johan. :)

I think this is a wonderful idea. I am ashamed that I never continued practicing my programming much past 1992.

I do look forward to this happening, however. :)

cool-toxic said:
However one little question.

Johan when selling the game at Gamersgate are we allowed to put some of your original files in the game? Or else we would need to make alot of files like graphic. ;)

It can use anything from that game, and everything you have made yourselves.

This is a great opportunity to stretch off my lazy neurons to put in practice the little programming I've learned in the past twenty years :)

Hive said:
How about mixing the games?

Could I, for example, use CK sprites for EU2? Or the Victoria map for HoI?

I have to get back on you on that, but I don't see any major problems with it.

:eek:
I've been waiting for this day,for some time now. Finally I can get the Victoria I've allways dreamed of. I'm not sure I would be able to take the lead on a project like this. But if we could get a victoria improvement group going, I would be thrilled to join.

Dietmar1982 said:
:eek:
I've been waiting for this day,for some time now. Finally I can get the Victoria I've allways dreamed of. I'm not sure I would be able to take the lead on a project like this. But if we could get a victoria improvement group going, I would be thrilled to join.

Well PW and I was talkig about it just after the info came out and we would like to start such a team. ;) If you want you can get in. :)

The things we want to improve is political system and military system. Well actually almost everything. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.