View Poll Results: What would you do?

Voters
679. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'd like to join, and code my own game.

188 27.69%
  • Sounds good, I look forward to this.

456 67.16%
  • No opinion

22 3.24%
  • I don't like it.

13 1.91%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Would there be any interest in this?

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries

Would there be any interest in this?

We're thinking about an releasing the sourcecode of a few older games to people with programming knowledge, and an interest in the games. You would get the opportunity to make your own expansion/boosterpack of our games, which you could then sell through gamersgate and earn money on your work. We would provide a forum for those involved, where you can communicate and get support.

We see this as an excellent opportunity to increase the life of the products and for our fans who improve the games to earn some extra money. Of course you would have to sign NDA's and a contract for it.
    Last edited by Johan; 07-01-2008 at 14:28.

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

Fossile en devenir Moderator hildoceras's Avatar

what kind of restrictions will apply ? Will the code be free in the sense of a GNU license, will there be royalties to Paradox or whoever, etc. ?

the limits are not precised

Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hildoceras
    what kind of restrictions will apply ? Will the code be free in the sense of a GNU license, will there be royalties to Paradox or whoever, etc. ?

the limits are not precised
    We would sell everything through gamersgate and own the copyright. All code developed would be accessible for those in the program.

We had the following assets.

* A game-engine that strategygames can be built in, with several version for various game-types.
    * A distribution system where amount of sales is irrelevant for being distributed at all, that scales nicely.
    * A large community of people that wants to make their own dreams come true.

Johan Andersson

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

I'd look forward to it. If all went well, this would encourage the community to band together for the older games and produce truly excellent booster packs and such that, if regularly maintained and so on, would have the potential to do really well.

If not, then the result would be 6 different booster packs that do not work with eachother.

Eu2 1.10 here we come!

- do not meddle in the affairs of GMs for they are abusive and quick to anger -

"...Slauron had become wise and strong and cruel. All feared him and the torment he wrought. He was a powerful GM-tyrant who could change into many forms and could appear fair and pleasing if he wished. Slauron created campaigns by imprisoning dreadful spirits in the bodies of terrible threads. Another of his minions was the vampire HolisticGod, whom Slauron used as a messenger..."

Sure, me too!

Maybe an improvement to Vicky is possible!!

Ex-étudiant rennais... Demi Moderator Imrryran's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Semper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedEuropa Universalis IV

To which games would it apply ? Only EU/EU2/CK/Vicky/HoI/HoI2 ?

Could a developer distribute "its" game for no money if he wants too ?

How will voluntaries be selected ?
    Last edited by Imrryran; 07-01-2008 at 15:03.
    Mon blog, livres et jeux de rôles...
    L'Odyssée du GondwanAAR, un AAR en Inde !
    Un AAR franco coopératif, avec plein de chinoiseries dedans.
    * Jean BonpAAR et ses frères, un AAR EU3 bien rhodé *

Cyborg
    HoI AnthologyDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3For The Glory
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

This is the best news since the invention of sliced bread.

Now, if I just paid a bit more attention to my programming lessons back then...

Lex Superior
    HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Wow. I really didn't see this coming.

Splendid idea though, given there's a broad interest for it.

Seems like I'll have to (try to) learn a bit of coding then.

Good show, Johan.
    Birth of Empires - a work in progress 1066-1820 mod for Europa Universalis IV

Crusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the Throne
    EU3 Napoleon's Ambition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Sounds like a plan!

However one little question.

Johan when selling the game at Gamersgate are we allowed to put some of your original files in the game? Or else we would need to make alot of files like graphic.

Fossile en devenir Moderator hildoceras's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slargos
    Eu2 1.10 here we come!
    Not only !!! "My new game of the Killing World of Mutant Ninja Kangaroos Explore and Conquer", here you come

You get the motor engine. You just have to put any new idea inside !

200k clubCrusader Kings IIFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Semper FiSword of the StarsVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    V2 BetaV2 AHD Beta500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

Blog Entries
    I think this is a wonderful idea. I am ashamed that I never continued practicing my programming much past 1992.

I do look forward to this happening, however.
    I'm a 19th century man inflicting himself upon a 21st century world.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Unbelievers always want other people to act like Christians." - Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Perfected by the sixteen men of Tain.
    Phishing link to HOI4 site removed.

Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cool-toxic
    However one little question.

Johan when selling the game at Gamersgate are we allowed to put some of your original files in the game? Or else we would need to make alot of files like graphic.
    It can use anything from that game, and everything you have made yourselves.

Johan Andersson

Dragon of Gallaecia Suevorum Luis de Aveiro's Avatar
    200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultEast India CompanyEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossLost Empire - ImmortalsMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiSengokuSupreme Ruler 2020
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: WarbandMount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
    EU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Conquest of Paradise

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

This is a great opportunity to stretch off my lazy neurons to put in practice the little programming I've learned in the past twenty years
    es gibt keine Tatsachen, es gibt nur Interpretationen - Friedrich Nietzsche
    The capitalists not only rule by carrot and gun but by making popular forms carry imperialist messages.Left-wing dictatorships do rule by gun and by making imperialist forms carry popular messages.
    Authority, when first detecting chaos at its heels, will entertain the vilest schemes to save its orderly facade. But always order without justice, without love or liberty, which cannot long postpone their world's descent into pandemonium.

Against the unlawful British annexation of the Portuguese State of India (IN HOI 2) - GIVE GOA BACK!

Lex Superior
    HoI AnthologyCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Quote Originally Posted by Johan
    It can use anything from that game, and everything you have made yourselves.
    How about mixing the games?

Could I, for example, use CK sprites for EU2? Or the Victoria map for HoI?
    Birth of Empires - a work in progress 1066-1820 mod for Europa Universalis IV

Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hive
    How about mixing the games?

Could I, for example, use CK sprites for EU2? Or the Victoria map for HoI?
    I have to get back on you on that, but I don't see any major problems with it.

Johan Andersson

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

I've been waiting for this day,for some time now. Finally I can get the Victoria I've allways dreamed of. I'm not sure I would be able to take the lead on a project like this. But if we could get a victoria improvement group going, I would be thrilled to join.
    Gotikiller's Pop Splitter v 5.5 (Updated by Dietmar1982) - Download: Mediafire! and wiki
    Details about the splitter

Quote Originally Posted by Dietmar1982

I've been waiting for this day,for some time now. Finally I can get the Victoria I've allways dreamed of. I'm not sure I would be able to take the lead on a project like this. But if we could get a victoria improvement group going, I would be thrilled to join.
    Well PW and I was talkig about it just after the info came out and we would like to start such a team. If you want you can get in.

The things we want to improve is political system and military system. Well actually almost everything.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 26 ... LastLast