• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
DominusNovus said:
I'm assuming that, if they're not executed, the diplomat can return to you and you can send them out again. So, axing one deprives their owner of that diplomat. Which then breaks the game in favor of human players, since we could send out diplomat with high ratings, to get favorable results, but if the AI does that, we'd just ax the guy to deprive them of his services, as seeing "Diplomacy rating 8" doesn't really have the same effect on us as it does the AI.

I suspect this could be offset by Badboy and relationship scores. That even though you have an 8 star diplomat, if your bad boy is too high he's killed no matter what nation you send him too.

Or it could be just like CK with modifiers and some randomness thrown in so that your Diplomat accidentally insults the ruler of another nation event.

cavalry is spelled wrong. :p

I like the code though, looks interesting.

alvaro said:
right, I have a critical question here.
what the heck is a yule? :confused:

When you celebrate the yule goat.. and sacrificed in flames at wintersolistice. As it happens this obviously christian ( :D ) tradition coincides with christmas. Yule, or Jul IS christmas in swedish.. and santa is called joulupukki in finnish, or literally -yule goat!!!!

Also we can see the bending of father winter in his horned helmet and green-blue coat into something red and fat that drinks something called coca-cola... and away from doing hyss (like loki, emil..) into giving stuff. pff..

Ah yes, the yule goat.
goat.gif

Can ofcourse be built to be 10 meters high..

Will there be a cap on the amount of elephant units that can be built?

yourworstnightm said:
It's a english word, not really used anymore though. Related to the scandinavian word "jul" which just as yule means christmas.

Most English speakers only know it from an old christmas carol that uses yuletide (deck the halls). It's a fallallala song though, so maybe it would be popular here. ;)

yourworstnightm said:
It's a english word, not really used anymore though. Related to the scandinavian word "jul" which just as yule means christmas.

In fact, "yule" means Wheel. It is a reminder of that the year is like a spinning wheel, and that one year has just past. It's the darkest time of the year and from this on, it will just get brighter every day. That's why the northern cultures celebrated christmas long before chrisianity.

Just to make sure this is not too far OT, i hope the northern cultures in "Rome" will have their Yule celebrations every year, to increase happiness and morale!

DominusNovus said:
I'm assuming that, if they're not executed, the diplomat can return to you and you can send them out again. So, axing one deprives their owner of that diplomat. Which then breaks the game in favor of human players, since we could send out diplomat with high ratings, to get favorable results, but if the AI does that, we'd just ax the guy to deprive them of his services, as seeing "Diplomacy rating 8" doesn't really have the same effect on us as it does the AI.

So, perhaps there's a penalty to a player killing off high ranking diplomats, moreso than there would be killing off a crappy negotiator?

Aside from all that, what is the purpose of killing the diplomat? Just to piss off the other country? An equivalent to the "send insult" button? I'm guessing that if you send an unreasonable offer to the AI, they'll be likely to kill the guy, but again, thats not the same for humans.

Teehee. I doubt that if you were Pergamon, you'd think twice before killing the emmissary from the Seleucid Empire, which happened to be the brother of the King. I suppose killing him meant instant war and annexation (As soon as the king knew of his brother's fate). Another issue is: Imagine, you're at war with...ugh...(Insert Random Country here) and he tries to send an envoy to make peace. You hwem him. A couple of months later, you have quite a good score and another nation declared war on you, and you wish to make peace quickly. That being so, you have two options. Either try to send a man with high diplomacy, with the ability to score a nice peace treaty for you, and risk his death too, or send a crappy one, who has no chance of signing a good peace deal, and risk his death as well (Though he sucks, so you don't care). Killing envoys just because they have uber-stats, doesn't seem to be a very good strategy.

FredricBastiat said:
Nice. :D Though I don't think the Carthaginians used horse archers much....

Actually, Carthaginians used many horse archers. Well, sorta. Most of their mercenary cavalry throwed Javelins (Ranged Cavalry) Those being their Numidian Cavalry and Iberian Cavalry. Both had fast horses and did throw a rain of iron upon their enemies. So yeah, it's plausible that Carthaginians might use Horse Archers.

I know Rome is built of the EU3 engine, but could you add 1 thing to the game while its in development, could you allow moders to use custom troop models, maybe you can already but i asked over the course of a month and no one told me.

Basically I had an idea for a total conversion but I wanted non humanoid troops, and that was the deal breaker not being able to change the troops.

And as you all know a game survives on its mod community.