• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Johan

Studio Manager Paradox Tinto
Administrator
Paradox Staff
15 Badges
Dec 14, 1999
  • Diplomacy
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Magicka
  • Starvoid
Welcome to the last development diary of the year, we’ll be back with recharged batteries after the yule is over here…

We’ve been working hard the last week, wrapping up the features and heading into the bugfixing and balancing part of the development cycle. The 3d-cityview was finalised, and you can now select view on any city of the world to get a big screen to see how that city looks like. Of course, that view is not automatically shown every time you select a province. J

rome_dd_10.jpg

Here’s a quick screenshot of the troop building interface in Rome. You can easily queue recruitment, and switch provinces quickly.

One very important aspect of Rome is the way diplomacy is conducted. To negotiate with another nation, you need to send a character off to do the actual negotiation. This carries some certain risk, as recipients may send back just his head.

Here is a fairly large code-snippet which describes how one culture group looks like. Culture-groups define completely how names are generated for that group of people, where a lot of keywords can be used to create names. Culture-groups also contains names of potential barbarians and which sub-cultures they contain, and a link to what graphical style they should use.

Code:
# Do not change tags in here without changing every other reference to them.
# If adding new groups or cultures, make sure they are unique.

# for cultures.csv and <group>_malename/<group>_femalename
# NAME_MALE = takes random name from male_names
# NAME_FEMALE = takes random name from female_names
# FAMILY_MALE = takes FATHERS family name. (or random if no father)
# FAMILY_FEMALE = takes FATHERS family name into female (or random if no father)
# NICKNAME = takes a random name from nickname or Fathers if he exist.
# FEMALE_ORDER = takes in order of daughters if father has more than 1 daughter already.

latin = {

male_names = {
		Appius Aulus Decimus ...
	}
	female_names = {
		none
	}
	family = {
		Aemilius.Aemilia
		Antonius.Antonia
	}
	nickname = {
		Agrippa Agricola ...
	}

female_order = {
		Prima Secunda ...
	}

culture = {
		roman	etruscan osco_umbrian	messapic venetic
 }

barbarian_names = { BRUTTII CAMUNNI CARACENI CENOMANI EUGANEI FRINIATES LIBURNI LIGURES LEPONTII LUCANI MAMERTINI PATAVINI PENTRI VENETI }

graphical_culture = romangfx
}

Sokraates said:
I like it! But what about the two Militias?

Edit: Yay! First to comment.

one is mercenary/auxiliaries..

Johan said:
One very important aspect of Rome is the way diplomacy is conducted. To negotiate with another nation, you need to send a character off to do the actual negotiation. This carries some certain risk, as recipients may send back just his head.
Sounds fun! If I want an annoying relative dead, I can send him to negotiate with barbarians! :D

And the Cavarly :D

The game looks great and it's too bad we have to wait a long time for the next update...

Johan said:
one is mercenary/auxiliaries..

Let me guess: the red one are the mercenaries?

frpe02 said:
And the Cavarly :D

The game looks great and it's too bad we have to wait a long time for the next update...

That was to be expected. Carthagians sucked at English. :)

Wow, the game keeps looking better and better! I can't wait for it to come out!

right, I have a critical question here.
what the heck is a yule? :confused:

:D

that "send the answer back in pieces" for diplomacy can be very funny in MP.

Oh wow. This almost answers my question if the characters will be like HoI or CK since it obviously looks like CK.

Though, will male characters marry other female characters that already exist or do they spawn wives? And can females be rulers like Cleopatra and then marry other male rulers?

Also, does a character have to exist to win an election. In HoI characters would come out of the blue when an election was won.

Merlact said:
I cant work out the map?

Is it Italy at the top? Spain or Africa at the bottom?

look at the minimap ;)
it's centered in carthage but it's rotated. obviusly Johan is showing the map off :D

alvaro said:
look at the minimap ;)
it's centered in carthage but it's rotated. obviusly Johan is showing the map off :D

I can see now but it was the minimap which confused me in the first place, its a slightly inacurate representation. Sardinia should be in the centre of the screen and Sicilly should not be displayed at all.

Cavarly. I hope this is not one of these nasty bugs that survive patch after patch ;).

Do mercenaries have a buildtime? Then - what are the other advantages and disadvantages?

Cool stuff all :p