• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Map. Renamed Provinces. Suomi

Oh and my homeprovince Kajaani is Kajana is Swedish. :)

Here is your home province in Swedish.

Code:
#      HOI/Armageddon               Eurogeddon
================================================

101.     Rovaniemi                   Lappland 
102.     Seinäjoki                   Tavastland
103.     Kajaani                     Österlandet

renamedprovinces29.jpg

Map. Renamed Provinces

Vraca should be Bdin
Pleven should be Turnovo
Silistra should be Karvuna
;) they all are in Bulgaria

Code:
#      HOI/Armageddon            Eurogeddon

104.     Varna                   Rumelia 
105.     Vraca                   Vidin
106.     Pleven                  Nigbolu
107.     Plovdiv                 Filibe
108.     Kavala                  Iskeçe

renamedprovinces30.jpg

Map. Renamed Provinces

Code:
#      HOI/Armageddon              Eurogeddon

109.     Taranto                   Apulia 
110.     Reggio di Calabria        Reggia
111.     Kefalonia                 Korfu

renamedprovinces31.jpg

Istanbul --> Constantinople??

Well actually Konstantiyye?? Or whatever the spelling is in Vicky... can't quite remember right now?

Haven't the Ottoman Turks renamed Constantinople by 1550 ?

Nope. Just translated it. It was still 'Constantinople' until the days of Ataturk (early 20th century).

EDIT: Ahh! See here.

If it's supposed to be an all English language named map then go with 'Constantinople'.

OK, thank you. I'll change it.

Map. Renamed Provinces

Code:
#      HOI/Armageddon             Eurogeddon

112.     Dubrovnik                Ragusa 
113.     Split                    Dalmatia
114.     Rijeka                   Istria
115.     Venice                   Veneto

renamedprovinces32.jpg

EDIT: Ahh! See here.

If it's supposed to be an all English language named map then go with 'Constantinople'.

No, I'd rather choose the Turkish equivalent. It was not Byzantine any more but the Ottoman Empire after all.

istanbul.jpg

Istanbul was what the residents of the city called it (i.e. an informal name). It was formally known as Constantinople (in the west) and Konstantiniyye (in the Ottoman Empire) during this period. Istanbul only became official after the fall of the Ottoman Empire.

If you choose to have a map where all the place names are given in their English translations then it would be 'Constantinople' (as too there would be Canton, Peking, etc...). If you want to have the name of the cities which the local countries gave them, then the Turkish translation.

Istanbul was what the residents of the city called it (i.e. an informal name). It was formally known as Constantinople (in the west) and Konstantiniyye (in the Ottoman Empire) during this period.

That's what I am talking about. Let it be Kostantinyye.

Map. Turkey

Anything else to rename in Turkey ? Any suggestions ? Anyone ?

Map. Renamed Provinces

Code:
#      HOI/Armageddon             Eurogeddon

116.     Genoa                    Liguria
117.     Milan                    Lombardia
118.     Marseille                Provence

renamedprovinces33.jpg

Why are you renaming city provinces in region provinces?

There is a reason why it was called 'Genoa', because now by clicking on 'Republic of Genoa' country it will say that its capital is 'Liguria' instead of 'Genoa' wich makes more sence than the region name.

And if you are gonna rename every province name into region name it will take forever.

A small hint from a modder: Don't begin with beautiful graphics and name changes on the map. They are of 2nd importance: the best would be to finish the scenario start-up and to begin to write the events (you are gonna need a load of them if you want an interesting game). So you can release a beta and be helped by peoples testing it.

Instanbul comes from the hellenic is tin polin (εις την πόλην). So, It is the same, whether you name the province instabul or Constantinople. They are both hellenic words. :)