Welcome to Whites & Reds an ahistorical mod for Heart of Iron II
Title explanation :
Whites & Reds : reflect how the two parts of a world where democracy is agonising calls themselves.
This mod is compatible with Doomsday and Armageddon and probably with the further enhancements of Hoi2
Originally based on a pack that should had enhanced Soviet Union in terms of ahistorical alternatives. Soon became Whites and Reds had a whole mod in itself based in a world where Socialism has triumphed in Western Europe instead of Russia after a successful European revolution in 1917 aborting the First World War before the American intervention, with many other various side consequences on the rest of the world.
My inspirations mostly come from Sarmathia’s awesome « All the Russias » mod « Kaiseriech », MOD34 and World in Flames for the game-play.
Whites & Reds is a whole new setting for the game but also a different game-play :
To mod aim is to be fun and quite realistic in terms of gameplay and to have a credible (but never perfect...) ahistorical setting that has to remain flexible and reactive to player’s choices.
The main features:
- Playing minors will be now more interesting, you’ll have better opportunities to develop, and most countries have new tech-teams to do so.
- A different event philosophy: W&R had many events but they events don’t drive the story in a linear line like they do in Vanilla. For example the major countries political background isn’t driven by one or two decisions events that allow you to change regime in one day but the results of successive events that may have different consequences.
- A time scale from 1930 to 1948 with the Second World War starting around 1934.
- A reactive and unpredictable situation: War doesn’t come at a given date; you’ll have to observe the world situation in order to react to the events. No longer will you gather your troops in one front knowing that the other neighbours will not react, you’ll have to remain careful in your war planning.
- A revamped tech-tree with a lot of new original elements ranging from infantry tactics, guerilla warfare, cruisers-submarines, “big berthas”, industrial development, communication systems, propaganda, helicopters etc…
- Reworked unit balance to reflect equipments upgrades and make battles last a bit longer in a reasonable way (less than in World in Flames and other mods) to make breakthrough manoeuvres more important.
- Brigade’s changes: Brigades have been overall improved, they’re now considered as additional equipment, cheaper and more useful. Super Heavy Armored Tanks have been reconverted into siege artillery and military police into additional men for infantry (to allow you to make “larger” infantry divisions).
- Tons of new leaders/ministers/tech teams have been added, some pictures have been improved (color remains black & white to keep the graphical unity and simply because it like it) every country has been subject to some changes that may vary to a few additional ministers to a complete rework of leaders for Austria-Hungary and Germany or France in order to remain a bit logical : you didn't expect Petain to work for communist France didn't you ?.
- New graphics, sounds and music to improve immersion.
- French and English languages (French event texts will be re-written slowly after the first release but the tech-tree is fully translated)
The first release will include the 1930 scenarios in a beta shape. It will be compatible only with the latest version of Armageddon and the unofficial patch.
Release date set to : WHEN IT'S DONE !