• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A Summation on the Abghazian Position Regarding Russia

It is our belief that the reduction of Russia beyond the borders of the crown of Russia and beyond their portion of the crown of Khazaria constitutes a grave danger to the balance of power among the Christian realms. While many of you in this "League of the West" are either kinsmen or friends of the court at Uchimerion, the course you propose, we must, in good conscience, oppose.

And whereas the Russian King is known for his boorish habits, and grating manner, we would remind our fellow Christian Lords of the story of Zacchaeus, that boorish tax collector, so hated by the people of Jericho, yet loved by Jesus, as Jesus loves all of us. Remember, oh brothers, that it was not the hate of the people of Jericho, but the love of Jesus that made Zacchaeus repent.

And on the matter of the crown of Unified Georgia, its disposition is solely the affair of the court at Uchimerion, not of the court at the Kremlin or any courts further west, south, east, north or under. Yay, it is only the court of heaven which has authority over us in this matter, and the blessings of that court are surely denied to a Christian Lord whose lands still harbour those who will not listen to the message of our Lord, Jesus Christ.

Translation:

The Khazaria demands and the demands to Vladimir Volynsky, Peremyshl, and Galich are a bridge too far to me.

And the demand for Georgian independence will be fulfilled after I've finished my heathen wars, and for RP reasons, I will not be claiming a king-title before then. If that takes too long for people, then feel free to edit out my vassalage to Russia now.

fasquardon

Eird said:
The Italian-Byzantine Treaty.
We are honored to put our seal on this treaty of friendship between the noble Greeks and humble Italians. May fame and fortune be granted both our peoples!
[Seal of Agostino I, King of Italy]

The Bagratuniad:

Anja's Song:

Part 2 - The Arrival

Georgia has mountains, Norway has mountains. Other than that, they are very different. And at no time was this more apparent than the turn of the 12th Century, when Norway was little more than the wrecked skeleton of a backwater kingdom, and Georgia was the dynamic nucleus of a future empire. Under such generals as Smbat Rubenid and the brilliant Leon Bagratuni, Georgian armies would march from the forests of Lithuania, to the deserts of Arabia. Of the great European powers, only mighty Brittany would range more widely during this period. A fine time, one would think, for a vicious Norwegian mercenary to come knocking on Prince Kvirike's door with her own private army in tow. However, convincing the Georgians to employ her would be one of the greatest challenges of Anja's life. (from The Last Viking by Markku Oikari)

November 05, 1102
Poti

We have arrived in the port city of Poti, the main entrepot for Kutatisi, the hub of this empire we find ourselves in. The place is a hive of activity. Walking down the streets I have passed Russians, Greeks, Italians, Persians, Spaniards, Turks, Germans, Armenians, Kipchaks, Khazars, Khazaks and peoples of places so strange I have not found names for them. The buildings are of good quality, being either of native stone, or of wood, most of them look new. Apparently recent years have been unusually good for the country.

Now where do I start with the country? The name I think. The Russians call this place Georgia, after the famous St. George, a long-ago Christian of this land. The Greeks call it Iberia, though I do not know why. The local people believe it is because they have some common descent with the Hispanics (who the Greeks also call Iberians), though I doubt this, as their language is very different from either Castillian or Portuguese. The locals have even more names. Those from the northern mountains call the place Apkhazeti, and those from the southern mountains call it Kartli (I am informed this is in honour of the legendary hero Kartlos). The Khazars say that while this land is the land of Egrisi but the lord who rules it is properly called the King of the Khazars, while the Kipchaks, say this is the land of Abhazia, but the ruler is properly called the Princeps Azaq. I suspect some of this is merely people using more local names or more general names as the mood takes them, however Bozena, who succeeded in getting some Greek mercenaries thoroughly drunk, reports that the country does indeed have a surfeit of names.

What I find notable, is I have heard none of these names before, in the history I know, Caucasia is a backwater, owned by first the Polish then the Hungarian empires until the Final War. Yet here in this history we have made, the "backwater" has become a great and powerful empire.

On to more practical matters:

While we found some work guarding travellers on the way here, holding off the looting and plundering since we crossed the "Iberian" border, while politic, has hurt the coffers significantly. We will need to find some source of cash soon.

On a more happy note, we managed to recruit some Greeks (guess which ones) and Kipchaks. This more than makes up our losses in the journey down. The Druzhyna currently consists of:

348 persons-at-arms

Of these (in order of dependability):

1 of Me
1 of Bozena
22 Estonians
127 Norwegians
31 Kipchaks
129 Russians
37 Greeks

177 of which are women
171 of which are men

November 19, 1102
Kutatisi

We have arrived in the capital. I doubt it could compete against Baghdad or Byzantion in this era, but it is far more impressive than Chernigov or Viken. Most impressive is the Gelati Monastery, dedicated to the local Saint, St. Agsartan. I must admit, it is strange seeing a monastery that is shiny and new, it is not at all like the ruins we have uptime. The city is built along the banks of the Rioni River in the North of the Colchis Plain. It is protected by a powerful fortress the locals call Uchimerion, which also serves as the chief residence of the Prince of this land.

As Poti, this city seeks to challenge the Biblical Babel. Many, if not most, of the tongues spoken here, are those of subject peoples of this empire. Among the foreigners, I have found that most are diplomats or traders, though there are a few groups of hired swords who come, usually following rumours of a Crusade against Jerusalem, all of them tell me that the Prince at Uchimerion does not care for mercenaries.

The discovery that pleases me most, is that in Kutatisi, parchment flows like water. Extraordinarily expensive water to be sure, but water nonetheless. It is a small thing, but it will make these journals easier.

January 23, 1103
Kutatisi

So much for my ideas of making more journal entries. Life has been challenging. I have been trying to focus as much as I can on information gathering, however, this is not easy with a restive mercenary band under you who isn't sure when it's next payday is. I am fortunate the Caucasian winter is sufficiently harsh that it would immobilise us regardless. Nonetheless, some of the men have taken to petty crime, which has not endeared me to the local law. The situation is currently under control, as I have instituted measures to put the fear of Anja into them. Said measures cost us the lives of 5 of the men so far, and I still haven't gotten the blood out of that tunic, but they are holding, for now.

I am getting a better idea of how this place works, however. The confusing nature of Iberian names seems to have been more than happenstance. I am told that before Kvirike, secular, and particularly royal, power was more unified and clear cut. Now it is neither. Instead powers and rights are scattered across the law-books of the various principalities the crown has annexed in a bloody mess that would take an army of bureaucrats to make sense out of, let alone use to affect national policy. Of course, this being neither China or Byzantium, there is no secular bureaucracy, rather, there is the Order of St. Agsartan.

I am told that Gelati is typical of the Order's monasteries, of which they have many more further east, and like their monasteries, they are a new order and a powerful order. For it is the armies of studious monks and their great law-libraries that allow the crown to weld the powers of their disparate domains into a single instrument. And because of the fragmentation of royal power between the various titles the crown controls, it would be impossible to govern the country without the support of the Order St. Agsartan. Of course, being that the Order believes the local Prince and his family to have the power to talk to God, I think it's unlikely the Order would serve anyone else any time soon. However, building empires on such a narrow power base is rarely wise in the long-term.

Fight among troops again, remember for next time: Bagratuni, web of patronage.

fasquardon

Last edited:
Brittany - 1138 to 1146

May 7, 1138, was a day that Orson de Cornouaille would never forget. That was the day when Orson’s father, King Phillippe, departed this mortal coil. On that day, Orson, despite his scant 16 years of age, was taken from his childhood and thrust into the harsh light of Kingship.

While Orson would never admit it publicly, or even aloud, he was glad to be rid of his father. King Phillippe had been a selfish, hostile, and cruel man. Perhaps King Phillippe was not as bad as the storied king of old that would cut off a criminals lips and legs and then offer the dying man his freedom if he could run through the village square while playing a trumpet, but he was certainly no great father. Indeed, Orson was the only male child of King Phillippe still living; Orson’s sisters had long since petitioned for land of their own to rule and departed Valencia for good, and Orson’s two older brothers Eudes and Charles now lay at rest in the ancestral de Cornouaille burial grounds. Some said that King Phillippe had driven them into an early grave, while others muttered that they had just died to escape their father.

What Orson would admit aloud, if not publicly for the first few years, was that he was woefully unprepared to rule when he first took the throne of Brittany.

Orson was a bookworm. While Orson’s scholarly training served him well when musty tax records or judicial precedents were to be consulted for the issues of the moment, and while Orson’s debate training served him well later in life, when he took the throne Orson was a slight boy, with a sort of tonsure haircut and a penchant for ancient tomes.

Brittany was a massive land, stretching south below the Canary Islands and north above Hadrian’s Wall. The Dukes of Brittany[1] (although there were fewer and fewer Dukes in Brittany as the years wore on[2], they had not yet all been reduced. As a general principle, the further from Valencia a Duke in Brittany was, the more land he ruled. The closer to Valencia a Duke was, the more likely it was that his “Duke” title was a jumped-up County.) were still powerful. And these men were not impressed by some shaved-head-monk-looking-nancy-boy, no matter who his father had been.

Less than a month into King Orson’s reign, a Civil War had begun. Some historians claim that the 3rd Civil War of King Phillippe’s realm had intensified with King Phillippe’s death, rather than ending before a new war could start, while others maintain vehemently that the 3rd Civil War of King Phillippe’s realm had ended before new rebellious dukes begain the 1st Civil War of King Orson’s realm.

In any event, within a month of King Phillippe’s death, the Bishops were marching on Valencia. It is extremely odd that the Bishops rebelled against one trained in their own image. Perhaps they felt more qualified to rule than Orson, having once graded his exams. The rebellious Bishops were summarily beaten back into line. King Phillippe’s cruel policies were proven to have paid out great dividends, as the rebels generally could barely manage enough support to raise an army and march across their desmense borders before they were beaten back into line by the Breton Army.

After about five years, the 1st Civil War had been decisively won and the Bishops stopped rebelling and went back to praying.

King Orson said a quick prayer of thanks and then declared war on Scotland. While the war in the main was prosecuted adequately, it was during the 7th?[3] War of Breton Aggression Against The Arab-Sheep-Shaggers-of-The-Moors[4] that King Orson was said to have made his greatest mistake. While King Orson was warring with Scotland, an ambitious local noble by the name of Guy quietly consolidated his control over the Emerald Isle as the Duke of Ireland…

[1] I can’t help myself. YEEEEEEEEEEEEE-HAAAAAAAWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!
[2] Right about here, the Duke-boys realized they were in a whole heap of trouble.
[3] The Bretons and the Scots had both lost count at this point.
[4] The story of how the dispossessed Mauretanian Sheiks fled to the north and conquered Ireland and Scotland could fill a book in its own right.

AAR Reward: pregnancy for Dolore Jimenez, Orson's wife

Because mercy and love flow from the Father and the Son, the Kings of the West have been moved to regard for the many thousands, and tens of thousands, who would surely die if matters came to blows. Surely among the fallen would be many not in a state of Grace, who would be condemned for all time to Hell. Therefore, we will moderate our demands.

We are prepared to drop the matter of Khazaria, and also of the provinces Vladimir Volynsky, Peremyshl, and Galich. We must, however, insist upon the full, formal sovereignty of the Abghazian princes, and upon the cession by the Czar of his current dominions in Finland and in Lithuania. And moreover, if even these reduced demands are not met, and the League of the West is forced to go to war, then we cannot answer for the consequences; worse even than our original demands might then be forced upon us.

If this is indeed the case then on behalf of the Russian people barring preliminary discussions with the details as I will have to insist to speak with Carillon in regards to Minsk, as losing minsk is a good portion of Belurus which puts Prussian forces within closer striking of Moscow which is largely unacceptable, but by and large I believe we have an accord, I take it then that war is averted for now?

Sid Meier said:
I will have to insist to speak with Carillon in regards to Minsk, as losing minsk is a good portion of Belurus which puts Prussian forces within closer striking of Moscow which is largely unacceptable
Minsk is further from Moscow than Orsha, and only slightly further from Moscow than Pinsk, both of which lie inside Lithuania and thus must be ceded to avoid the inevitable destruction of your armies, lamentation of your women, fields sown with salt, etc., etc.

Eird said:
The Serbia-Byzantine Treaty.

Manual Diogenes, Emperor of Byzantium and King Bulgaria, as represented by Kosmos Skleros, Chancellor of Byzantium, extends this proposal to Smilec Vojislavljevic.

Emperor Manual Diogenes offers the Provinces of Belgrade and Vidin, Serbian Provinces by right, to our Balkan Brothers in exchange for peace. It is our wish to see Serbia united, as is our wish to see Byzantium united. As such, in exchange for these two Provinces, Emperor Manual of Byzantium asks for King Smilec of Serbia to withhold his Armies from attack rightful Byzantium provinces and vassals, as well as any Byzantium Vassal that has rebelled from Emperor Manuals rule.
Hopefully this Treaty can be a sign of peace and brotherhood between Byzantium and Serbia, both States which hold true to the first Church, and instead of vying over each other for land we shall instead work together to expand and grow our two Civilizations.

(Seal of Emperor Manual Diogenes, as represented by Chancellor Kosmos Skleros.)

[x] Seal of King of Greater Serbia Smilec Vojislav

I think we will be forced to do this ingame.

Rebellion and Reunion.

With War coming swift upon Emperor Manual’s core provinces, Konstantinos Diogenes, Marshall of Byzantium, knew one thing. He had to dig his beloved older brother out of the shit-hole he had buried himself in. It would take Marshall Prowess, Intrigue and most of all; Luck, to win a victory over Michael Palaeologus and Edvilas of Zhmud, both skilled tacticians in their own right. What’s more difficult, Konstantinos thought, was going to win a victory over said Rebellious Vassals without any other vassals help. Manual disagreed with his Marshall’s notion that they not call a Grand Mobilization, but due to Manual’s recent mishaps due to not taking his brother’s advice, The Emperor conceded.

Konstantinos knew that calling a grand mobilization would greatly de-stabilize the Empire in the long run, even if it would provide them with the Manpower they needed to win the war. It was difficult, especially so because the combined might of The Prince of Achaea and the Prince of the Aegean was greater that the strength of the Emperor alone without his vassals. But, numbers do not win wars, even if they do give an almost invaluable advantage.

Erdvilas of the Aegean was the one they needed to deal with first. Marshall Konstantinos knew Erdvilas would draw all his armies up to Abydos and launch and assault on the nearest European province, Kaliopolis, one of the core Byzantine provinces. But this quaint fishing province would be the downfall of Erdvilas.

Kaliopolis was poor; you could not field large armies without suffering major Attrition, as this was the rule of war. Konstantinos counted on this. The Marshall of Byzantium moved his Troops to Byzantion, a rich province that could support tens of thousands of Troops. By the time his two Regiments reached the Eternal City, Emperor Manual himself led two more Regiments to reinforce the Jewel of Byzantium.

These combined Armies made a host of approximately 14,000 men, a number not worthy to be a Van-Guard in the Glory days of old, but in this situation, it was a force to be reckoned with. To make it seem less obvious that Konstantinos was trying to abandon Kaliopolis, to his Enemy and to the Public, he left a single Regiment of 2,000 men in the poor fishing village.

Across the Marmara, Romanos of Zhmud, Marshall of the Aegean Isles, was gathering an Invasion force. In Abydos he had gathered nearly 15,000 men, an Impressive force for a single Prince, especially since the Regiment coming from Erdvilas’ Capital province hadn’t even arrived yet. Konstantinos expected Romanos of Zhmud to wait for the final portion of his army, a 1,500 man regiment led by Edvilas himself, to arrive before he attacked. Romanos however, was a genius of Warfare, despite never actually having been trained in the Army.

As such, Romanos of Zhmud was a prodigy in his youth, and was one of the most competent Military leaders in all Byzantium. He was, also, however proud. He attacked early, most likely to spite his Liege for reasons Konstantinos did not know nor did care. He needed a Military Commander able to hold off Romanos of Zhmud for a few more days.

No man would answer Konstantinos’ call. It wasn’t hard to believe they didn’t. No man wishes to lead 2,000 Troops onto the Battlefield against 15,000 enemy Warriors. But the Marshall of Byzantium didn’t have time to play games; he needed a leader willing to put his life on the line. Emperor Manual, although willing, could not. To lose the Emperor during a Rebellion? You may as well tell the Rebels they have won! But no other Commander was willing to take this small band of men to hold off a full fledged Invasion Force.

At last, Konstantinos conceded. It would have to be him to lead this force. Holding off Romanos of Zhmud was vital for his plan to work, even if he, the plan’s maker, needed to die for it to happen. But it was not in Konstantinos’ hands, but in God’s own, or so Isaakios Diogenes thought. Isaakios, another Son of the late Romanos V Diogenes, was not given land like Manual or his brother Zeno had. He, like Konstantinos, was given a place in the court for their valuable abilities. As Konstantinos’ abilities were obviously war and Strategy, Isaakios’ ability was his communion with God. Thus named the Diocese Bishop of Byzantium, a title that Isaakios had held for many years.

Isaakios was also the wisest of all his Brothers. He knew his brother Konstantinos was too valuable to lose on the battlefield. And he also knew that whoever took this mission was going to die… sooner than expected, as he liked to put it. And so it was Isaakios volunteered to lead 2,000 men into a losing battle.

Though sad about his brother’s decision, Konstantinos stayed focused, and set in motion the second part to his plan.

Manual quickly sent out the word, by his Militarily genius brother’s advice, to call Theophilos Bourtzes, Prince of Anatolia and probably the last great and loyal Vassal of Byzantium still loyal to the Emperor, to arms. Without a second thought, Theophilos, an all around amazing man of many talents and traits, readied his Armies. His armies mustered in Dorylaion, and Konstantinos sent a Regiment from the province of Sozopolis to Dorylaion also, which was given under the Prince of Anatolia’s command.

Once the Theophilos’ Army was mobilized (numbering around 5,000) they marched on Kyzikos, an abandoned Aegean province.

The battle of Kaliopolis was bloody, brutal, and possibly the most glorious battle in The Byzantine Civil War. Isaakios’ Troops positioned themselves on the hills overlooking the beach where Romanos of Zhmud and his 15,000-man Invasion Force were to arrive.

Isaakios, though like Romanos and not trained in the Army, was a competent Military Leader. He had not the mind his brother Konstantinos had, but he had help greater than any Sword or any Army. He had God behind him. Some say it must have been God that had intervened, for this battle was certainly unusual, if not radical.

The battle lasted for a full Week. The first day was brutal fighting, and the swords of Byzantium took many Aegean lives, their brother’s lives. Isaakios had placed his men in easily defendable positions, namely the many hills and cliffs overlooking the Beach Romanos of Zhmud landed on with his Invasion force.

At the end of the 7 days, 900 Byzantion Soldiers died, and many more wounded. Yet the victory played its part. 1,500 Aegean’s died in the brutal onslaught. Isaakios’ Regiment fell back to Adrianopolis when it was clear they had lost. After the battle, Romanos of Zhmud besieged Kaliopolis’ meager wooden Castle, ultimately losing more men than necessary, due to the Attrition Konstantinos Diogenes had counted on.

Alas, Isaakios brave display on the battlefield, the morale and vigilance he impressed upon his men during the fight, was his last great deed. The God-Fearing Diogenes was seriously wounded during the battle. A crushed leg, and a shattered right shoulder that held an arm without a hand. He carried these Wounds years after the battle, and finally died due to his injuries, at age 35. Sooner than he expected.

But his injuries, though severe, were not in vain. By the time Romanos of Zhmud was done taking Kaliopolis, Theophilos Prince of Anatolia had already captured Kyzikos, and was marching on the province of Smyrna. Romanos then realized he was caught in a trap. He could not go back to help the abandoned provinces, not with Konstantinos Army of 15,000 staring at him from Byzantion. However, neither could he stay. He had already lost 4,000 men to Attrition in Kaliopolis, and the fact that his Soldiers looted the Land dry did not help.

Then, Romanos of Zhmud made the single most stupid decision of his Military Career. He split his Army. With an Army of 10,000 Aegean Troops left, he sent 4,000 men under his most competent Captain to stop Theophilos from taking Smyrne. It was too late however. Smyrna was already under Byzantine control, and even when Romanos’ detachment got there, they were routed easily, for the Troops of Byzantion were rested and of high morale, unlike the hard marched and hard pressed Aegean Troops.

Under such Circumstances, with Romanos of Zhmud’s army reduced to the size of 6,000, Konstantinos Diogenes decided to put the last part of his plan into Action. He finally moved his Army to attack the dwindling Aegean Army.

The battle was short. Konstantinos quickly overwhelmed Romanos with superior numbers and force, and Romanos’ starving Troops had not the will to Fight as well as the Byzantine Troops. The second battle of Kaliopolis was over, Konstantinos sustained 200 Casualties, while Romanos suffered little more than 500 Deaths before retreating back across the Marmara, into Abydos.

Peace was concluded with Erdvilas of Zhmud, Prince of the Aegean Isles. Manual, thanks to his brother’s advice, had forgiven Erdvilas, and publicly renounced his claims on the lands of the Aegean, and the Vassal was reunited with its former Liege.

During the conflict, the Achaean front was less lively. The regiments of Epieros and Dyrrachion were conscripted to fight Michael of Achaea, and while the Prince of Achaea thought this Army would be attacking from land, assaulting the Rich and Heavily fortified province of Korinthos, the Western Armies of Byzantion sailed into the Ionian Sea, and attacked the province of Methone. Michael Palaeologus drew to the conclusion that without additional Support from Erdvilas, Prince of the Aegean, he was destined to lose the war. Peace was made, and Emperor Manual of Byzantium again renounced his claims on Achaean lands, and made Michael of Achaea a vassal once more.

And so ended the Byzantine Civil War.

For a year’s time, peace was known throughout Byzantium. Save for a quickly put down revolt by the ever-Rebellious Balin Banffy, Count of Constantinia. Manual became more forgiving with his Subjects and Vassals, giving away Titles and Land. But it seemed Fate or perhaps God was determined to keep Byzantium in War. Michael Palaeologus soon renewed his War against Emperor Manual; feeling assured that he could start a tremendous Nationwide Revolt across Byzantium. He was wrong. Manual had gotten on the good side of his Subjects, and they were more loyal to him then they ever had been, save for Michael Prince of Achaea of course.

Konstantinos Sailed across the Aegean Sea with an Army of 6,000 Troops, most from Byzantion and Thrake, and laid Siege upon Korinthos, meeting up with Troops conscripted from Basileios Chrysaphes, Prince of Epirus. Now with a full 9,000 Troops, the fairly medium-sized Castle in Korinthos fell with a Month, and besides a short skirmish with some Achaean Soldier’s, there was no other conflict. Michael again agreed to a peace treaty, once again making Achaea a Vassal under Manual of Byzantium.

Another year of peace graced Byzantium, and in it much was done to restore prosperity. The rebuilding of Constantinople was taking its slow time, but things were getting done. A Library was re-erected there, and it became one of the most important Libraries in the Western World, after the one in Rome and the one in Alexandria of course. A monastery was also built, and many other slight improvements, culminating to make the Late Emperor Romanos V Diogenes dream of a fully restored Constantinople, a reality. Thing’s were not going as well in the Family of Byzantine protectors, the Diogenes. Konstantinos’ wife Milka was having an affair with another man. Konstantinos was a proud man, and as such, had his wife banished from the Court. It was not long before Konstantinos found a new Wife in Venla of Zhmud, Prince Erdvilas of the Aegean Isles’ own Daughter.

But things were not going so well in said realm of the Aegean Isles. Erdvilas of Zhmud, died. His son, Ringaudas of Zhmud, was now the new Prince of the Aegean Isles. A young, rebellious and misguided young man, Ringaudas became discontent with his father’s complacency on the note of being a Byzantine Vassal again. Some say Ringaudas might have killed his own father, for Erdvilas was only 40 year’s of age at his death. Regardless, Ringaudas brooded in his realm, and skillfully started rebuilding its strength.

It was not long before Ringaudas declared War on Emperor Manual. What was left of the Diogenes Dynasty felt their Heart sink into their stomachs. Byzantium has already seen too much War in the late years, especially War’s with their very own Subjects. The Diogenes Son’s fought long and hard to keep Byzantium in one piece, losing wives, body parts and their own Lives.

Of the 6 Sons of Emperor Romanos V Diogenes, 3 remained living. Emperor Manual, Marshall Konstantinos, and Zeno Count of Vidin. The rest died serving Byzantium, Isaakios being the latest one. It seemed it was their curse, their families Curse, to protect Byzantium. It was a difficult Curse to have, Byzantium was unstable, and the Roman Empire it echoes is no longer living, having been replaced with other Empire’s, stronger by far than what remains of the Imperium Romanorum. Yet, every Diogenes, of every generation, will bear this Curse without hesitation or regret. No Diogenes will ever give up on the Empire, and the quest of the father; to Restore The Roman Empire to it’s former might, became the quest of the Entire Diogenes Dynasty, for years to come.

And so, Emperor Manual, Marshall Konstantinos, and all Loyal to them, set out to restore Peace to Byzantium once again.

OOC:

I haven't decided on an AAR reward yet, so when I do I'll post it in the main Forum.

Last edited:
A Missive Regarding the Treaty of Jerusalem

To the Kings of Italy, Arabia, and Georgia:

His Most Gracious Majesty, King Orson of Brittany, would like to bring a small matter to your tripartite attention.

While obeying the command of God's Vicar on Earth, namely to remove Tunis from heathen control and to place it in the hands of Good Christians, King Orson was surprised and dismayed to learn that Tunis was under the control of the King of Georgia.

While His Majesty understands that those lands are temporarily under the control of the rebellious Prince of Merv, King Orson also expects them to be brought to heel again soon enough.

In that regard, King Orson would like to call your gaze to the following clause of the Treaty of Jerusalem:
fasquardon said:
17. Italy and Abghazia recognize the lands of Jerusalem, Arabia and Africa as being part of Arabia
(I have taken the liberty, as directed by my master, of emphasizing the key word in this clause)

King Orson notes that Tunis is in the lands of Africa. Beyond that, the matter is presumably in the hands of the Three Kings of the Treaty.

It's been a while since anyone uploaded a map, but here we go: Europe in 1151.

Europe1151.jpg

I think it's fair to say that blobbification is almost complete. A quick list of the players:

• Norway, light blue, me. Unification of the peninsula almost complete. Dominating the Baltic littoral looks a bit out of reach at this point. I've got some scattered inheritances in England and Scotland; alas, although I could certainly be a factor in a three-way struggle for power in Scotland (the other players would be England and Ireland, of whom more later), the other two players are both more-or-less client states of the Greater Breton Co-Prosperity Sphere, the annoyed attention of which sensible mid-level powers Do Not Want.
  • Prussia, beigish-yellow, carillon. Started out as Saxony, conquered Lithuania, now has a split personality, or at least a split territory. Like me, got some territory out of the ultimatum to Russia. Like me, in a good position to also receive some retaliation, now that the attention of the Great Powers seems likely to go elsewhere. A natural ally for me, then; but also a competitor for dominance of Finland, the Baltic, and Germany.
  • Bohemia, medium green, hyme. A nation of few words and many lances. A powerful player in Central Europe, verging on Great Power status; but also bordering on several ambitious smaller states who would like to expand, could naturally do so into Bohemia, and who have few diverging interests.
  • Russia, dark green, Sid Meier. With the independence of Georgia, it looks a bit less like the Blob to End All Blobs, but still a fairly impressive size, roughly equal to any two of its neighbours not counting Georgia. Somewhat annoyed with its recent loss of territory; a revanchist power in the making.
  • Georgia, medium blue, fasquardon. Currently dealing with a vast rebellion exacerbated by some weird AI vassalising, hence the outbreak of virulent red. When that's over, they will still be a Great Power, possibly even the strongest such, since they are insulated by distance and some smaller buffer states from the other two. I don't think they are particularly expansionist, though. Being already quite large and in a good position, fasquardon has no reason to antagonise the rest of us by absorbing his buffer states. Hence the recent, generous treaties, and the pacific outer demeanour. But beware! The court of Georgia has been infiltrated by Ynglings descended from Anja, and a connection to the mother country has now been established, in that we are trading fosterlings back and forth. At some point, blood will tell, and the Bagratunid Ynglings will come forth riding pale horses, conquering, and to conquer. And then... There Will Be War!
  • Arabia, darkish grey, TheConqueror. Started out as South Italy. Currently engaged in a land transfer with its patron North Italy, by which Arabia moves to Africa and hands over its remaining Italian possessions, receiving Egypt in return. The Eastern Med is going to be an interesting place in EU2, with five or six powers in the area.
  • Bulgaria/Byzantium, dark blue, Eird. One of the interesting powers, being too small to be satisfied with its borders, but large enough to plausibly enlarge them given some good alliances. If I were Serbia, I would be looking south with some anxiety.
  • Serbia, light grey, Lurken. Not, I think, in a good position, being surrounded by stronger nations, at least one of which needs to expand a bit. Recently shut out of Hungary by Bohemia; recently warned by Italy not to take advantage of rebellions in Byzantium. Needs a patron. Russia, perhaps? Russia could surely do with a client state that will allow it to project some power into the Balkans.
  • Italy, light green, Varyar. Third among the Great Powers, and nervous about it. Also in the worst position geographically, being in the middle of the action. Probably has the largest wealth density, though.
  • Brittany, medium blue, ulmont. The Original Blob, and still the biggest. Nonetheless, ulmont is apparently sufficiently worried about a coalition that he is taking great pains not to appear aggressive. Since he's been in Realm Duress for about 38 years of the last 40, I can't say I blame him. Quite likely it would only take one good boot in the door for the whole jerry-rigged structure to come crashing down. I'm not holding my breath waiting for volunteers to supply the boot, though.
  • France, deep blue, Anders. A client state of Brittany, awaiting its chance to turn into a powerful merchant republic in the EU period.
  • England, orange, Gollevainen. Still recovering from its recent Death Spiral. Skirmishing with Ireland for control over Scotland - both parties, however, have expressed a united determination to keep Norway out.
  • Ireland, still part of ulmont's realm, Ike. Will be made into a kingdom at some point; right now, just a Duke controlling all of Ireland.

With humans, alliances, oppositions, and client-patron relationships all tend to be a bit fuzzy, of course. So take this with a grain of salt; it's just how it looks to me, and it's quite possible that, say, Ike would be very surprised to learn that I regard Ireland as a client state of Brittany. With that caveat, these are the power blocs as I see them:

• Brittany, with its clients Ireland and France. England is well within its sphere of influence, certainly to the extent that outside interlopers would be thrown out. The ambition of England to control all the British Isles, and of Ireland to control Scotland, could be a chink in the armour of this bloc, where another Power might be able to insert itself.
  • Italy, with its client Arabia and an ally in Bulgaria. This bloc's dominance of the Eastern Med seems pretty secure. There are possible sources of friction on its eastern borders, however: Either Arabia or Bulgaria, or both, might well want to adjust the borders of Georgia a bit. It remains to be seen whether Varyar can keep his client/allies under control if such is the case.
  • Georgia and its ally Russia: The former superstate now has somewhat diverging interests. Georgia is, to all appearances, a satisfied power; there is nowhere for it to expand without creating a frightened coalition. Russia, on the other hand, can skirmish and intrigue for influence in the Baltics and Balkans both. Moreover, Russia, unlike Arabia and Bulgaria, is a large enough tail to be a credible dog-wagger; it could plausibly get into a war on its own, and only call for Great Power aid if another Great Power intervened on the side of its target.
  • Bohemia: An enigma wrapped in a conundrum! I really have no idea what hyme will do next. He could reasonably retreat into isolation, attempt to crush Prussia or Serbia for their territories, or start a campaign against Russia. In the latter case he would presumably try to mobilise some of his smaller neighbours as allies or clients as well. Lots of options, no clear path.
  • Norway and Prussia: Unaligned and small, we recently signed a defensive treaty (which I'll be writing up for this thread) in response to Russian sabre-rattling. However, that won't be enough - we both need to expand. A problem here is that for Norway at least, the natural victim of expansion is, in fact, Prussia - which I need for defense against Russia. It doesn't seem likely that any of the Great Powers will interest themselves in our expansion, although they might well find it in themselves to maintain our independence. (A point of interest: Note the skillful way in which ulmont and Varyar made sure that all the territorial gains from the recent Russia-nerf fell to Norway and Prussia, thus dissociating themselves from any revenge even though they provided most of the muscle that made the ultimatum possible. Great Power politics at its finest! The other side being that Norway and Prussia did in fact get territory, and presumably strength therewith.)
  • Serbia: A client in search of a patron! Serbia might reasonably associate itself with Bohemia (or Russia, or even both) against the Italian bloc and hope to gain from Bulgaria; with Italy (or Russia, or both) against Bohemia, for expansion into Hungary; with Bohemia against Russia (although here Lurken missed his chance last week, in spite of being invited), or with Norway and Prussia against Bohemia. Round and round she goes, and where she stops nobody knows! But it's pretty clear that Serbia needs some allies.

Thanks, kinda wanted a neutral and general overview, enhanced by yngling visions. :D

King of Men said:
  • Arabia, darkish grey, TheConqueror. Started out as South Italy. Currently engaged in a land transfer with its patron North Italy, by which Arabia moves to Africa and hands over its remaining Italian possessions, receiving Egypt in return. The Eastern Med is going to be an interesting place in EU2, with five or six powers in the area.
Actually, what he got was KoAfrica, KoArabia and KoJerusalem. Egypt remains Italian.

Also, it's getting more and more clear that Italy, Bohemia and Prussia have made a poor job of marketing the resurrection of the Holy Roman Empire. I'd better do something about that before next session.

Nice work though KoM! This ought to be invaluable for all newcomers and readers.

Enjoyed the overview KoM, I love hearing overviews and recaps :( Also makes some good strategy tips to hear about your situation from an uninvolved party :)

Varyar said:
Also, it's getting more and more clear that Italy, Bohemia and Prussia have made a poor job of marketing the resurrection of the Holy Roman Empire.

The Holy Roman Empire was never Holy, or Roman, or an Empire, as far as we Byzantium are concerned :p You can't name some Red-Bearded Germanic Barbarian an Emperor! Madness!

:D

Eird said:
The Holy Roman Empire was never Holy, or Roman, or an Empire, as far as we Byzantium are concerned :p You can't name some Red-Bearded Germanic Barbarian an Emperor! Madness!

:D
Pah, details :cool:

Also :rofl: at Ike's post. Never heard that song in English before, makes it sound more impressive.

King of Men said:
[*] Brittany, medium blue, ulmont. The Original Blob, and still the biggest. Nonetheless, ulmont is apparently sufficiently worried about a coalition that he is taking great pains not to appear aggressive.
Well, that and I have been trying not to be a dick, since any player-player wars at this point would have a good chance of starting a pile-on that would leave a realm destroyed. However, anyone that attacks Brittany had best be prepared for their realm to End in Fire.
King of Men said:
Since he's been in Realm Duress for about 38 years of the last 40, I can't say I blame him. Quite likely it would only take one good boot in the door for the whole jerry-rigged structure to come crashing down. I'm not holding my breath waiting for volunteers to supply the boot, though.
With the Reduction of the Breton Dukes mostly completed, any rebellions are destined to be single-province counties. Brittany can easily wage war outside her borders while guarding the home front against any opportunistic counts. Let Them Come If They Dare.

I do note that, like the re-HRE, the Grand Orthodox Alliance has also been missed out from KoM's overview of the power balance. I wouldn't presume to call either Lurken or Eird "clients", but this would not stop any hostile power moving against them meeting a Georgia-sized crate of bricks for their trouble.

Also, I do note that Russia is currently barely bigger than Bohemia, and thus not really "roughly equal to any two of its neighbours not counting Georgia".

fasquardon