• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Fulcrumvale said:
And that after almost getting his brother killed through cowardice.

Well, that's not all that bad. Say Richard DID die? It's either John or Geoffrey. One less brother to contend with, and presumably Eleanor wouldn't support Geoffrey as much.

RGB said:
Well, that's not all that bad. Say Richard DID die? It's either John or Geoffrey. One less brother to contend with, and presumably Eleanor wouldn't support Geoffrey as much.
If it had been intentional it would have been brilliant, but it wasn’t intentional. He lost his nerve on that, just like he would have lost his nerve if he was trying to kill Richard.

RGB - Real duress terrifies me in this precarious AAR game, but all the better if it mixes things up a bit :D
I think Eleanore knows Geoffrey is the same kind of snake she is, heh.

Stynlan - Oh yes the brothers and mama hate John. But John holds more northern power than any of them, surprisingly enough - and a keen advantage over Geoffrey overall, and Richard at least in Ireland. Richard will have to deal with him carefully.

VILenin - Yeah, I think all the Angevin kids expect some extra inheritances and consider it 'only fair' on Henry's death. Geoffrey in my opinion has a bit of a case, being shut away up north. The young William is Duke of Oxford, but is still in his minority.

Fulcrumvale - John isn't clever, that's for sure. But he has motive, and means - in this era that could well be enough :eek:

John if anything fears Richard in the same sense he feared his father. But not to the same limit by any means - and before John was a youth, now he is more a man, and has a possible ally in Geoffrey. Of course, he has a possible ally in Richard too.

Strategies of a Young King:

scrabsterbishopspalace1fo0.jpg

Eastern Irish Sea, Late November of 1188 A.D....
The stormy and cold winds which ripped past the sails from the north blew the King's ship and it's several accompanying vessels in a more southward direction. Their banners waving thickly and violently in the air, the gray winter storm clouds began to form and amass above, portending a bad omen for the sailors on board. Richard was not of this superstitious type like many of his English countrymen... he saw only wind and rain, not Satan and local demons and faeries.

Still watching from the port side of the ship, the King thought on things. He knew well that this northern rebellion was Geoffrey's doing.. it was a clear message. The Archbishophric of York refused to raise it's arms on the excuse of church ruling to support the King against the rebellious Earl of Huntingdon. Furthermore he knew well why - Geoffrey wanted Brittany.
And John wanted Normandy.

He would give them neither, as his mother advised. However he would consider smaller titles to ensure their inclusion in French wars, there was no intelligence in giving his greatest court rivals the power to overthrow him or meddle in his greater French affairs on a ducal scale.

But Richard knew that was a dangerous decision, to give him that land. He was beginning to realize why father had sent him to York so long ago. Now Richard wanted him to stay there, and stay quiet too - hardly something pragmatic to wish for.

aar5yu5.jpg

John also demanded Arques and Vexin, as well as Normandy! Richard shook his head... that he would never grant. But he knew that there could be some strategy in giving a fool like John title of county Vexin... if Phillippe Capet, King of France - his true rival - attacked, John and Richard would have a common cause for once. One thing Richard knew is that John coveted what he wanted, and he would stand aside the King of England if anything to protect his possessions from the King of France.
Still, it was a gamble and Richard knew it, to trust the foolish John Lackland with anything. It was no wonder mother thought him such a fool.

Yet with his new wife he had found little comfort, or time. He knew he might not even see her for years now, with this uprising in England... if he had no heir designated, it would fall into the hands of that snake his brother Geoffrey, or worse yet, John. The very notion disgusted Richard to his very core... How could he surpass this?
After this, he spoke aloud, "I will never allow their scum to rule England..." Geoffrey the Judas, already a traitor and John impotent in the mind, at least in his opinion.

kingrichdr4.jpg

The King knew he could support his own heir designate... Henry had always threatened to do so, and in his lifetime there was no man who told him nay.

Who else was there? His late brother, Geoffrey whom passed away in 1185 or so had a wife... and a son, did he not? He tried to remember for a moment as the wind howled and their group of ships made their way closer to the craggy cliffs.
Arthur.. yes, but he could never. After all his mother Constance de Penthievre was his mother's worst of court enemies. Even his father hated the vile woman, whom was called a vulture by many whom knew her. She was indeed a woman of power... countess of many lands, however, once Duchess - his father King Henry had stripped her of that rank shortly before he died. And she held a bitter grudge against the Norman Angevins ever since.

aar4un7.jpg

Constance de Penthievre,
Former Duchess of Brittany

Surely she has already poisoned her son against us all... But then again, how much so? Richard was her brother in law, perhaps he might find a useful friend and ally in her. In his mind, she was more trustworthy in Brittany that a possible Duke Geoffrey, former Archbishop.
They made their way toward the port, where the King would ride to prepare his garrisons and militias. He would already again ride to war.

By the way, I will update the pic of Richard soon, that is the one I took before I picked Chancellors, Stewards, Spy Master, etc. So it looks like all his values except military are really low.

I assure you I am not that inexperienced at the game :D

Looks like there might be stormy times ahead.

Awww. No Geoffrey goodness.

The real-life one got killed in a tourney accident IIRC. What happened to this one?

Ah, the convoluted machinations of royal intrigue. Great stuff! :)

Is there anyone beyond Eleanor of Aquitaine who doesn’t hate Richard for one reason or another?

Realm Duress in England:

nisbethorsemenbesidenisht9.jpg

Newcastle, Early December of 1188 A.D....
The rows upon rows of spearmen stood firm, them men mustered together on the nearbye hillside. Sir Richard de Beaumont sat high upon his horse, and on the other side of the King. Sir John Marshal had not yet arrived from Lancaster with his regiments, but it wouldn't be long... The King looked over the field of men amassed. The banners of Northumberland and Lumley, even some Scots reinforcements stared from the other side of the field.

"I'd say about fifteen hundred of them at most... sixteen hundred." Richard de Beaumont looked over the field with his expensive helm lifted open. The King, in his brilliant red cloak sat high on his strong, white Arabian steed.

"We have nineteen hundred... It will be enough." Richard breathed in with confidence. The Scots had never before gone so far as to disturb the peace of England in decades... he knew now that in favour of the Scot David Huntingdon, they would fight to ensure Northumberland's annexation to that northern Kingdom. And if Richard wanted to prove to the King of Scots that like his father, he would stand for none of his nonsense, then he would have to win the day here.

On the other side of the field David Huntingdon's army stood closer to the city of Newcastle near the river Tyne. Their ranks could barely keep in place, but it still formed a mighty army.

aar4td7.jpg

The battle commences before Sir John Marshal
arrives with northern reinforcements

On his side of the field Sir David looked over his men. Tough scots, they would be enough. He knew that he had hardy northern mercenaries.
His men were armed well - money sent from the Archbishop of York proved useful, and now he could finally wage a full scale war. He knew the King's power was precarious at best in the north, and all of England was watching - if he was victorious, he would bring glory to Scotland.

Already Scottish armies were lining up on the borders as well. He knew that if he beat Richard on this day it was only a matter of weeks before the King of Scotland invaded to aid his cause. And finally he and his family would free the north from that Angevin yoke.

aar3gk6.jpg

The King, on the other side of the field turned to Richard de Beaumont with grave eyes. He always seemed worried during battles - although there had been few occassions where he lost, the King always told his comrades of war that it was his wariness that ensured his victories.
"We cannot wait any longer... I am sure Sir John is no traitor. He has not been affected by Geoffrey's silk tongue... he is a good a loyal man. Send the men at arms forth."

At least I hope he is a loyal man, Richard thought warily.
The footmen readied their weapons and began their march.

The battle raged ferociously at first. The mercenary Scots hacked and slashed deeply into the ranks of the English men at arms, and Sir Richard de Beaumont's cavalry raids did little to disperse their strong line. Even Sir David Huntingdown gave his great battle cry and fell into the fray, giving his men great courage to fight on.

The King himself saw this, and narrowing his eyes turned to his squire, "My shield," And lowering his royally encrested helm the King spoke in a low voice, "I'll run the traitor through myself..."
The moment the young squire held him the shield Richard drew his blade and drove his steed forth with his own cavaliers, thrashing their way into the bloody field of death that the outskirts of Newcastle had become.

aar2fz8.jpg

At the end of the day it was the English armies of the Crown which prevailed, David Huntingdon being thrown from his steed and his men losing much, there was still a chance for a northern victory when in the distance the King thanked God in his glory for the sight - Sir John Marshal coming over the hills with his army rushing forth. The sight alone caused great panic in the half Scots rebels and they began to flee on a wholescale as Sir John's cavaliers chased and cut them down.

The King, covered in the mess of dirt and gore that comes upon those men whom dare to ride into the center of the fray removed his helm and tossed it to a soldier whom caught it with pride to hold. Climbing off his horse the King walked towards Sir John Marshal, and with narrow eyes he smirked, "Why, you took the moment of glory from me, Johnny."

This caused a bout of laughter amongst the King's soldiers. He was indeed popular amongst them. Sir John bowed deeply,

"Sire, I regret greatly that I could not come to your call sooner." He lowered his head in shame. The King shook his head and placed his armoured glove upon the knight's shoulder.

"You are a good man, a dependable soldier and loyal. Above all else, trustworthy... you are the kind of man I want here in Northumbria."

A voice called from the rowdy surrounding soldiers, 'And finally an Englishman, too!' More laughter followed. The King himself chuckled to humour the men.

"Yes, an English Earl, no more of this scots nonsense. Sir John, I proclaim you here and now to stand as Earl of Northumbria... yours and your family's future is secure." The King spoke in a bold voice, with a smile.

Then promptly turning, the King walked off towards the pavillions. Sir John, wide eyed crossed himself and thanked God for his good fortune.

aar6wa5.jpg

Yes, definitely lucky of him to arrive when he did...

Le Roi de France:

kendalcastleinthesnowvs5.jpg

Rouen, Normandie - Christ Mass of 1188 A.D....
The snowy caps on the turrets of the castle stood tall in the distance as the carriage train approached through the countryside. The wind blew and the cool airs made their way into the castle despite the myriad to torches kept lit to ensure some kind of warmth within. Leaning back against a wall with a tapestry on it, King Richard breathed in slowely, staring out the window.
He could see the fleur de lis banners approaching from the distance, and within, his greatest of rivals. The King of France was coming.

"You did well, my dear son..." Eleanore, the Queen Dowager stood behind him, rubbing his shoulders, "England is not a place I would spend much of my idle time, especially it's north." She shook her head as she finished,
"David Huntingdon was as an ignorant swine, I would guess no better than his father was."

The King was hardly listening. He had to think of his strategy... Phillippe ruled a powerful realm, and contested many of his claims across France, especially that on Tolouse, which he knew through his mother's family was... less than tenable. Of course that did not stop his father from trying - and if the King of France was difficult, it wouldn't stop Richard either.

"Geoffrey has been halted in his plans... for now. And John is busy with the Irish affairs I have handed him... he demands Vexin, and Arques."

The former Queen looked at him with narrowed eyes, "Surely you did not consider his demand, did you?"

"He has many nobles on his side in England..."

elearnoreuw2.jpg

Eleanore d'Antiquaine
A powerful woman in the Angevin Regnus

Eleanore interceded in a bold voice, "- And we will crush them...!"
Richard was silent for a pausing moment.
He then replied, "Geoffrey has started a war and the situation is precarious at best. Phillippe does not know of this..."

Eleanore sat at a nearbye bench and spoke with a resolute voice, "Exactly. That is why we must present a united front here at Rouen. Let him come and see what a man you have become, he, still a boy. The King of France is nothing compared to you, my dear son..." Standing then she approached him and with her hand ran it through Richard's hair. He turned and looked out the window to see the royal carriage train near in site.

Eleanore went on, "Geoffrey is a vile creation, one I regret. Yet with your wife I believe soon you shall produce a son and heir... and then your brothers power will be held at bay, and all England and France shall know of it... do not worry dear Richard.."
The Dowager Queen's voice was quiet, and almost caring. Richard knew of all his brothers only he saw this side of his mother.

The King breathed in slowely as the trumpets blazed to announce the coming of the King of France...

aar2at3.jpg

Before the gates of the castle in public the King of France dismounted from his steed, wearing a fur-clad blue cape with his shined crown visible upon his head. The King, with his mother standing behind him back, in his own red cloak stepped forth through the snow. They met and hugged as cousins, kissing each other after upon the cheeks meeting an applause from the crowd. Then taking each other as friends side by side in greeting, they entered the castle together with the two royal trains following.

Within the castle the grand feast was being prepared for Christ Mass. Roaring blazes with chickens and pheasants, doves and fish, roasted almonds and other exotic foods brought from traders from the Iberian lands to the far south. Truly a grand meal had been prepared.
However within the chambers, the King, his mother the Queen Dowager and the King of France entered a grand but private chamber.

aar1rz6.jpg

The powerful King of France,
Phillippe Capet

"Good cousin, it is a happy occasion to see you... and your grace Madam, I thought perhaps we might not meet again."

Bowing in a half courtly way the Queen Dowager Eleanore d'Antiquaine spoke with a smirk, "You knew it wouldn't be so long that Henry could keep me imprisoned, do you?"

Chuckling the handsome French King nodded, "Non, I did not think so."

Taking a seat as offered, the King of France looked to his English rival and spoke, "So, dear Richard, how fares your brothers.... I suspect they are loyal as ever?"

What did he mean? The King then replied, "They bode well. John in Ireland and Geoffrey still Archbishop."

Eleanore interceded, "We know well Geoffrey has sent emissary to you, so let us avoid the chatter, hm?" With such a sharp comment the aged woman ended it with a half sweet smile. Richard shook his head, "And what of your family, is your sister still spying on my vassal in Thouars?"

Phillip breathed in, "Alix is married, and settled in Blois... you are, behind affairs in France, n'est pas?" His eyebrow raised, "In the north lately, then?"
Richard's eye sharply met the French King's at that comment. Just how aware was Phillipe of the chaos in his English realms? Did he know how truly fragmented his control of his barons had become? He wasn't sure.

It seemed his mother was onto this as well.
"Oh Phillip I'm sure you know well of my son's movements." Eleanore interrupted. Richard, growing wary of his mother's verbal games interceded,

"I have also heard of your demands to the Count of Lusignan to recognize your Crown in tribute." Richard offered the accusion openly.

King Phillippe smiled, "Ah, mais oui Lusignan, but also Tourraine, and Vermandois... it is the least you might offer to ensure peace. It was after all, stolen from my family by your father..."

"And now they're mine." Richard retorted, "What of our rights over Tolouse you continue to ignore?"

The akward silence hung in the cool air within the chambers.
"A weak and petty claim at best." Phillip dismissed it with a wave of his hand, "It is mine as by right." He offered a smirk as he said so.

Eleanore shook her head, "Tolouse is the property of my family through my Antiquaine line."

Phillip chuckled proudly, "The tributes from it's Duke to my coffers speak otherwise."

kingrichdr4.jpg

Richard stepped closer to the King of France with anger in his eyes, "My army in Bordeaux may yet say otherwise...!"

The King of France immediately stood from his chair to face Richard eye to eye as he spoke, "Then shall it be contested on the field..." He looked with a darkened manner to the English King, "cousin?"

This was exactly what Richard did not want, and he knew it well. A war with France would break his realm, and not even his will could hold it together. If Phillippe officially allied to either John or Geoffrey, he would be surrounded by enemies on all sides. But he also knew he had to show Phillippe that he was not afraid to fight, as to seem strong, even if his realm was in great duress.

"Enough!" Eleanore's voice snapped throughout the room. Richard and Phillippe looked to her and silence beckoned for a moment.

The Dowager Queen then spoke, "You are Kings... your fathers, they would have been disgusted by your behaviours... you are like boys with toys. Dinner is prepared, let us eat and break fast, with wine and full stomachs we would think more sensible, would we not?"

For once, the two men agreed.

After the meal slow negotiations continued, however by the end of the three day's visit it had been decided - The King of England would not pursue his claims on Tolouse, and the King of France would for the time forego his claims on Angevin lands. Of course Phillippe knew this held no guarantee that Richard would not plot with the Duke of Tolouse if he might find the opportunity, but he knew Richard knew it would hardly halt him from his own machinations with the French nobles under Angevin rule. Still, it was some progress, and it signalled the end of the first year during the reign of King Richard I.

Last edited:
Methinks it will take herculean efforts to keep those two apart, since it is quite clear that they would like nothing more than to bash each others' shields. Perhaps they should fight in a tourney?

Richard and Phillippe seemed destined to be enemies. Hopefully the French won't move before Richard can get his house in order. Then I would take Richard against Phillippe in a straight fight any day.

Philippe is a wily bastard.

Gotta watch out for that one and keep the temper under control.

They'll be at war within the year.

ARGH.
Crusader Kings is such a wonderful game. But it always, always fucks up. And has to be patched over. :mad: For such reasons, files were excommunicated forever beyond my control...

This aar is, *sob*, dead. May she rest in peace.

What a tragedy... this was a wonderful AAR. May it rest in peace:(

Noooo....

You're serious? Erk.

Oh well, a good run while it lasted.