• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
2002902825164005844_rs.jpg

I never say no to a free courtier.

2002951997770717560_rs.jpg

I can't pay that kind of sum! Better be careful not to click it *klick* D'oh!

2002996330738239339_rs.jpg

We should revise our immigrant policy.

2002986577813367300_rs.jpg

Those stubborn pagans finally accepted a white peace.

Wow, JMJ, you sure turn out updates fast. Like rabbits turning out babies.

Of course, rabbit babies are annoying with their little mewing noises. You're updates are far better. :cool:

How about your reputation? Doesn't it get tarnished for expanding? This is the problem I always face, and it puts me off of my games too. :(

I'm tempted to start a game as Finns too, however I wouldn't want to play as Finnish Catholics but as Finnish Pagans instead! I would try and stop the great wrongness which was converting Finns into Christianity and destroying the Finland's mythical pagan religion(s). Ukko the High God for the win!

For this, however, I would require a pagan mod - and correct me if I'm wrong, but there isn't one that works with Deus Vult. :( :(

Someone please make one, pleeeease! :(

Last edited:
I decided to start as Finnish Catholics for now. :/ I decided to play with Finland. They have one provice (Finland) and their leader is Voitto (Count of Finland).

I edited (in 1066_scenario_characters.inc and 1066_scenario_provinces.inc) Voitto Count of Finland and his wife Pyry to be Catholics, and also edited the province of Finland to be Catholic. However, when I'm starting a new game with the 1066 scenario, I still can't pick Finland. Why is that? What else do I need to do? I started with some other nation just to check that those changes I made have actually taken place, and yes they have.

Edit: Heh, I got it working now (I started with Tavasts after all though). The reason was... believe it or not... I hadn't even noticed that click from the three icons enables you to choose the smaller realms! :D I just started this game yesterday so try to understand me.

Last edited:
I'm having serious troubles even invading the province of Finland. I was able to gather about 750 troops against their 350 so I though that hey, this is easy. WELL, while I was marching there, they suddenly had an army of 500 men appearing from <somewhere>. I was still able to beat them, but they kept attacking me over and over again. When I had finally killed them all, I had about 200 men left and the siege was still on (it was on yellow). And what happened next? They had ANOTHER 500 men army appearing in the provine of Finland! I was able to win that fight too, however they had well over 450 men left after that, and they now keep attacking me. As I'm writing this I have 88 men left against their 400. So basically it will soon all be over. And now Satakunta declared war on me. :eek:o

Did this not happen to you? How did you solve it?

Edit: Oh my god, I was on a brink of destruction - 43 men left in the "army" sieging Finland, and the province of Tavasts under siege from Satakunta. However, an event came which allowed me to conclude a white peace with Satakunta. And more importantly, I FINALLY had more troops appearing in a province of mine (Tavasts). Now I have about 380 troops sieging Finland, so it might actually turn out good. The siege is still on yellow though, it seems as it's not advancing at all. We'll see.

Edit 2: Tribe of Ingers and Tribe of Kajanborg declared war on me out of nowhere. I have an honorable reputation. Why are they doing this? Is it because they are pagans? I now have 1500 troops sieging Tavasts and about 500 sieging Nyland. Life is good. My own army's strength is at about 300. All that can save me now are events that allow me to conclude white peace with those two tribes.

Edit 3: Finland just had another 500 troops appear in the province of Finland. Together with their other army they crushed my siege. Game over.

Seriously, did these things not happen to you? How did you manage them? I need some advice. :confused:

Last edited:
I started a new game and this time decided to go for Viborg first. It all went quite well, they had no allies and didn't get any extra armies appear from somewhere. The siege was on red and almoust completed when Chiefdom of Finland decided to declare war on me. Oh well that happens. However, what happened next was which caused me to lose my nerves completely: The siege of Viborg suddenly started all over again! WTF? It was almoust over, and then it just suddenly jumped to green and full again!

When I first tried I got my ass kicked by my pagan neighbors before I took a single province. Then I started all over again and had more luck. Those pagan Finns are a real threat when you are small because they don't hesitate to attack if they think you are weak.

jsl said:
The siege of Viborg suddenly started all over again! WTF? It was almoust over, and then it just suddenly jumped to green and full again!

That has happened to me too at least a couple times. Annoying bug. Also make sure you don't accidentally move your armies from the province they're sieging. Ah and you'll get over those difficulties. I myself did soon enough. :) And to play as Tavasts, I needed to add the country into the 1066 scenario country list. I am not sure if this would still work without converting Tavastia (and most preferably the leader, his wife and the provinces) to catholic. There's another Tavastia AAR that apparently had the player start out as Pagans.

By the way, search YouTube for "Crusader Kings Tutorial". You should find five parts. I recommend you start from part 1 and watch them in order. It helped me a bit when I started playing this around a month or two ago.

Off-topic: I originally wrote a much longer explanation here, but decided to delete it and go for a simplier one: There is in fact proof, although mostly just words, that Finland (and Kvenland) was an ancient kingdom during this time. In fact a powerful one with her own army and literacy (this is backed up by the fact that Vikings never managed to permanently set foot on Finnish soil - they were always driven back and the fact that Finnish/Finnic writing from the 1000-1100s has been found in Novgorod). Sadly many modern Swedes continue the tradition of ignoring old Viking sagas, other foreign forms of telling/writing history at the time, maps, archeological findings, genetic research etc. and practically say that the Finns were just barbarians sharpening their arrows at bonfires and lived in trees, before the Swedes came (which btw was in 1249, not in 1155) and "civilized" us. CK is an example of this. In 1066 Finland is entirely split and poor, without any real relations to her eastern Finnic brothers. In the scenario that starts in the 12th century, the province of "Finland" is already a part of Sweden.

That's actually a bit more than I originally intended to say, but I'll stop now. Any possible conversation of this matter should be continued by PMs.

Cheers.

screenshot001ia8.jpg

Isn't my spy master supposed to take care of this kind of matter? Oops, she is my spy master

screenshot002ro5.jpg

My half brother wants to kill my brother. What a happy family...

screenshot003hr2.jpg

I swear this wasn't the only reason why I answered no.

screenshot004dm9.jpg

Where's the fifth option: Castrate him?

screenshot005dx1.jpg

How is this time any better compared to yesterday? Or the day before yesterday? Or...

screenshot006zs1.jpg

My half brother becomes friends with my wife's lover. Bloody traitor!

screenshot007uq9.jpg

We sure have superior genes.

screenshot008af6.jpg

One of my half brothers seems to hate me...

screenshot009xa3.jpg

...I revenge by marrying him with an ugly old Prussian woman.

I'm planning to make a Finnish grand campaign of sorts after reading this AAR (not very ambitious since I've mostly made some short notes in a text file just for my own pleasure...but at least I've almost finished the CK era) but I dont want to compete with this AAR so I'll just see if this continues or not until I make my decision...

keep up the good stuff!

screenshot010mv4.jpg

We'll it can do no harm...

screenshot011bm4.jpg

Oops!

screenshot012kq5.jpg

It's not he first time my half brother wants to kill Oiva.

screenshot016pq0.jpg

Why should I pay him? He'd ask more money soon.

screenshot017ov8.jpg

Prestigious? I didn't even remember him.

screenshot018hf2.jpg

The court was too big for my tastes, anyway.

screenshot019wj0.jpg

Oiva is better be grateful for this.

screenshot020jg2.jpg

Yes he is.

screenshot021hf5.jpg

Oh yes he is.