• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Courting the poor, John thought, what manner of fools oppose us in Parliament? Always politically astute (when sober), the Earl knew when to start fear-mongering. Recieving the unfortunate message from his fellow Tory, he commenced his participation in the Tory election campaign, in earnest.

Taking a queue from Earl Hugh, the Lord started with mother Church. Using his ties, John quickly secured an appointment with the young Archbishop in Canterbury, Henry Chicheley.

"How fare my, my lord?" the Archbishop greeted the powerful noble stiffly. The Archbishop, being one of the most powerful men in England and within the Holy Chruch, felt the hasty visit as an affront at his power. He held out his ring; John knelt and kissed it.

"Not well, your eminence, not well at all. The Whigs desire Revolution!" Realizing he had not left a backdoor to deal with this upstart's ignorance, the head of House Fitzgerald quickly addad, "Your most righteous duties have no doubt kept you from dealing with mere temporal activities, but surely your excellence realizes that his poses a threat to Christianity itself."

Henry solemnly nodded. As a young boy, he had heard stories of heretical peasants leaving their rightful place in society during that horrible summer of 1381. They, banded with the less faithful, ill-bred clergy had attempted overthrowing the God-ordained system where one man leads his inferiors. The Archbishop didn't like contemplating the fate of the man who filled his post at the time... "You speak truly. But what evidence have you for such heinous acts?"

John merely gave the Archbishop a copy of Ye Sunne describing Sir Charles' speeches to the peasants. He gasped in shock. "Good Sir, I will committ all the resources I can to help you win this campaign."

"You are a true servant of the Lord, your excellence."

John smirked at the thought that Church contributions were helping fund bribes to Church officials.

Last edited:
Lord HJ stood up again and said:"Well that would be a good program, but that would be confimed by the prime minister, again we need him!"

Lord Maines hid a scowl behind his impassive facade as a few of the higher ranking party members were a bit late for the annual meeting of the house of lords. He couldnt understand it but he supposed they were doing last minute preperations for the forthcoming election results which were expected any minute now. He stepped up to the podium and thought that he may as well get the meeting started.

England 1424

"Gentlemen, i know that you are all awaiting the election results, only the second this country has ever had i will remind you, but that cannot get in the way of business, and what business i have to report to you all my lords. France is Occupied!!! Every single province of France has the english banner flying above their garrisons, there is bad news though, even though all of france is kneeling at the british thrown they will not admit it and they still, despite numerous attempts, resist to give us any territory at all."

"Negotiatiors from both sides have been hammering it out since September 18th. The English position is to take every province off the French except Nivernais and Champagne, both in the north of the country, but it seems that france wants to keep at least one southern province, but this we will not allow. We need to keep the French bottled up in one part of the country to avoid splitting our forces."

"Also in a few months we will have the nation of Auvergne kneeling at the throne as we have already taken Cevenues and Bedford is sieging the province of Auvergne as we speak. Of course we cannot take all their land in one swoop but Cevenues with all the other southern french provinces will provide a formidable barrier."

"The Tax Collection initivie has succeeded with even a tax collector being appointed in the province of Orleanais. Of course after the french war is finnally over we will have to expand it once more but although the people dont like it they have come to accept it."

As Lord Maines finnished his speech a young messenger came running in holding a piece of parchement. The entire house became silent as it was apparent what the messenger carried. Lord Maines took the sheaf and nodded his permission for the messenger to leave. As he left Lord Maines opened up the sheaf and quickly scanned it his eyebrows arching in apparent surprise. He Cleared his throat and read out the results.

"Out of the 623 seats in the house of lords the results come like this..."

Labour: 161 Seats
Tories: 262 Seats
Liberals: 200 Seats

As he tried to continue a massive roar was heard from the Tory and Liberal ministers as they had overturned the labour advantage of the last election. Lord Maines continued...

"...which gives the tories the overall command of the house with a 42% share of the seats, following them is the Liberals with a 32% share and finnally the minority party, Labour, with 26% of the votes. I assume by tommorow you will have sorted yourselfs out gentlemen. Thank you very much!!"

OOC: Right the Ramo your the prime minister, feel free to re-arange your party as you wish or leave them alone of course. And O.Cromwell your now the leader of the opposition :D

Oh and the only reason that LAbour got such a high vote is the inspired roleplaying by H_S and also the fact that the war is almost won. But there you go. Now the tories have 5 years to prove they are worth it. :D

Ye Gods!

Sir Charles was in shock. He had lost ?! Not only had he lost the reins of power( in the absence of the prime minister) but now the Whigs had been reduced to a mere shadow of their former selves. Well, now he was mad! He began by stepping forward, and raising his voice over the din of both the Liberal and Tory ministers.

"Sirs! I say that the new Party had best not let the chance slip by them! And remember this: Should this country spiral downwards, I shall be certain to remind the voters the next time an election is called. I will be watching you!

Now, in regards to making peace with France, I say that we must not let the war drag on too long for fear of revolts by the peasants there undoing what our glorious soldiers have fought so hard to achieve! If we are to allow them three provinces, instead of two, so be it. Choose the weakest, most poorly defended ones, and offer them back to the French in the spirit of 'honour' and then, when the time is right, strike at them once more, relieve them of the provinces, and end their threat once and for all! It may take longer than your reign of terror, as I am certain that no Party but the Whigs can safely lead this Country to any heights. If I may say so, I think you will lead us to ruin. I would leave this Parliament, if I were not charged by God to ensure that our glorious nation did not go to ruin. I will be watching your actions, very carefully! Should you falter even once, I shall be on you faster than a Scot on a good ream of wool!

As to Auvernge, make them pay dearly. Take their province, and as much from their treasury as can be carried back to English Soil! Victory to our Troops! Victory for England!"

Sir Charles sat down, glarin at the Liberal and Tory Parties. He would use every available resource he had to keep tabs on those two.

Lord Manderville stepped up to address the assembly:

Milords, I am quite happy to hear of the recent election results, but politics is not my concern at this moment. I might suggest that our diplomat in France be very wary of the negotiations. If we should need to concede one more province to france, I beseech you to chose Dauphine, as it is not a coastal province. France shall not have a navy to rival ours!

Lord HJ couldn't speak "What has happened" he tought "this can be, we win the war make the taxsystem better and more equal, this can't be, WHERE IS THE GODDAMNED EX-PRIME MINISTER!
Now England will be destroyed in 5 years" this time speaking to the parlement, it wouldn't suprise me if we will lose our continental territory and lose a war against the scots, but after the 5 years, i promise you, England will be back!
I hope" turning to the Liberals" that you do a good job, i will support you against the tories, as a Labour, but also as an true Englishman!" and hae stood down.

"The 5 Year Plan"

"Our men have faught valiently against the false King Charles and his foolish followers. It is time for our brave nobles who have faught so fiercely for the King of England, and soon, France, to go back to their estates." John momentarily glared at the Whigs. "When the last French ally, Auvergne, capitulates, Charles may become more pliant. I strongly recommend waiting until they drop out of the alliance to start negotiating with France, unless they bring us a particularly good offer on their own. Then, we shall know peace once more.

"On other diplomatic fronts, we should offer gifts to the rulers of Brittany, so that one day they will accept Lancaster as their permanent masters. Furthermore, we should secure royal marriages with the crowns of most of Europe, so that we will stay in their good graces during our liberation of France, not to mention possible alliances. As for possible alliances, I advise bringing one of the major Iberian states into English leadership, such as Castile or Aragon, to secure our Southern territories."

"Our domestic agenda shall be as follows:

"1. Bring down inflation! The Whig leadership has accomplished absolutely nothing about this threat, and I shall not repeat their mistake. I strongly recommend bringing the increase in the price index from 1419 levels to be no more than .1%. If a greater reduction can be managed given our martial expenditures, make it so.

"2. Bring down naval investments. We have no real threats on the seas, given the magnitude of our fleets, so I don't see why we need to do so much refitting at the moment. Furthermore, if possible, we should further decrease our pay to the navy until we are ready for another war. Again, if we're caught off-guard, the size of our fleets guarantee victory.

"3. We should continue bringing the English tax collection system into our French territories as soon as possible.

"4. Finally, we should begin subsidizing English traders in the various centers of trade around Europe, in particular Flanders, Tago, and Venice."

"I'm glad that the wise gentlemen of England have thrown off Whig oppression, and have chosen to take the wiser course for England."

Sir Charles stands, applauding falsely...

"Oh Bravo , Sir. Bravo.

So it was the Whigs who led the Country down the path to distruction? Well, Sir, I fail to see how demanding better equipment for our troops does this. How investing in their lives is something to be ashamed of. It seems, Sir that you blame all of the woes, or are they supposed woes, of the country on the Whig Government. It was we who let the country fall into such disrepair. Really? We implemented taxation in many parts of the land to finance the war, and as for inflation, I vehemently opposed any and all increases in it. You say .1%? So what, in ten years time, we will have to deal with more inflation? Why not 0? Hmm? Sir you think that by showing how 'determined' you are in decreasing inflation, yet you advocate increasing it. An increase of even .001% is too much! Keep it to 0!

Now, not to show you any disrespect, Sir, but I have to agree with your idea to limit the navy. The wars will be fought upon the soil of foreign foes. For if it ever comes again to our own, I shall be the first demanding your head on a pike outside the Tower.

I wonder, Sir , why you insist on wasting our treasury improving relations with Brittany? If they were ever foolish enough to decide to end their vassalage to the English Crown, I am certain we should make them pay dearly...

I would say that, being of a financially sound mind, I agree(somewhat half-heartedly) that merchants must be sent to the trade centres of Europe. Focus firstly on Flanders, as it is controlled by our ally... Tell me, do we have any sort of trade agreements with Burgundy? If not, that should be a focus. No good two allies competing against each other in matters of commerce. If we can both exist in tandem(sp?) with each other, then that is the best for both countries.

Well, Sir , let us see if your actions do not lead us down the road to ruin. Pray they do not...

Detailed Diplomatic Plan

"Honorable Lords, I have with me, some further, detailed suggestions as to our diplomatic actions for the next few years."

First before France is liberated:
1. Royal Marriage with Castile
2. Royal Marriage with Austria
3. Royal Marriage with Denmark
4. Royal Marriage with Sweden

Then as soon as possible afterwards:
1. Alliance with Castile
2. Trade Agreement with Burgundy
3. Trade Agreement with Portugal

"I must concur with Sir Charles about Brittany. Brittany need only look east to see an example of those who would oppose the English crown. English coffers should not be wasted as such, when it could be put to better use."

"Sir John fritgerald " said Lord HJ.
"This 5 year plan of yours is .... how should i say it .... oh wait i have it, SIMPLE , i'm sorry but what you are saying is what every country does after a big war.
Have you bought the book ' How to rule a country' by Lord Blackadder or something.
What i think is really outrages is that before the elections you all were saying ' o what a disaster, whe have lost Meath, whe should have kicked the scots out Englan', but what happen's, the elections are won by you Tories and do you talk about Meath? No.
I would say let's teach those damned scots a lesson."

"ORDER!!! ORDER!!! My Lords, i know you have been hearing rumours about the conflict in france and it is my great pleasure to tell you all that france, and their vassal Auvergne, have capitulated to our demands!!! Take a look at the handout to see the extent of our empire."

Englands Holding Jan 1st 1425

"Now the handout is a bit smudged so i will go over it for you. On Sept 7th the city of Auvergne fell and thus the nation of Auvergne was prostrated at our commands. We bled their treasury dry and gained the province of Cevennes from them, but still france would not see reason and continued to deny our peace offerings."

"However on Oct 4th event the french, idiots though they are, saw the writing on the wall and offered us the provinces of Languedoc, Vendee, Guyenne, Picardie, Lyonnais and Nivernais. We of course jumped at this offer as it was the same one we kept offering to the french over and over again!!! Our empire almost doubled in one year. It has taken a long time and cost the lives of a great man, Henry V, and the lives of countless other unsung heros but we have arrived, we can take our place in the sun, which has been under threat from france for so long. Now they are wittled down to three provinces and are unlikely to pose a threat. I will remind you that the truce will wear out in 5 years. Just something to keep in mind."

"Apart from this momentus news however the year was mostly quiet, the Irish are involved in a war with the scots and seem to be winning, they have meath under siege and there are no scottish troops in sight."

With that Lord Maines stood up and bowed and then left the chamber lost in his private thoughts.

"First of all, Sir Charles, you may have opposed inflation, but the same is not true for your party's leadership. The former Prime Minister has accomplished absolutely nothing regarding the exorberant rate that our mints are printing money.

"Secondly, I do not advocate increasing inflation, but increasing the price index. I know Whig economists are soft in the head, but the distinction is rather important. And again, my suggested decrease was not set in stone, but simply a maximimum due to the lack of economic data I have recieved. Now that I have the data," John nodded to the Speaker, "I advocate a .08% increase (you reading this Grothgar? ;)) in the price index from 1419 levels, subjected to any significant changes in the economic data. Why do I not advocate an end to inflation? The answer is quite simple; during times of economic prosperity, deflationary cycles (OOC: "Excellent Year") will correct for any substancial increases in the price index.

"Your comment regarding the navy doesn't make any sense, so I'll disregard it for the moment.

"As for the Bretons supposedly breaking their vassalage, it might be helpful, Lord Charles, that you not disseminate your lies among the good nobles of Parliament.

"Regarding the Scots, Sir Henry-John, I await more information about the situation. For instance, who are their allies at the moment? How many men do they have mobilized? How do other foreign powers view our righteous victories (OOC: What's the BB situation - who are the BB leaders, and how far away are we from them)? But we must keep in mind that Meath is not a priority for the Crown, even if my stolen estate is there (my new estate shall be in Orleanais, BTW). As I've explained earlier, Meath is for the most part, not composed of English nobles, so we will deal with unwelcome revolts for decades after the conquest. It is also a generally poor province, and would bring relatively little revenue to the crown. Furthermore, the Irish are on the verge of capturing the province, so the question may be moot. Unfortunately, Whig incompetence cannot be reversed at the moment.

"And I'd rather have a 'simple' plan, given that we are currently lacking much needed information, than a more complex plan that may not be applicable to the real world."

"Eh? You say that you do not advocate inflation, crossing your fingers for some deflationary event. And how will you make this happen? Magick?

Brittany is a hole into which money need not be sunk. Why do so? Why not use it to better our standing in the International community? After taking so much land from France, do you think Austria, or Castille is going to pat us on the back? Or do you think that they will look at us with greater fear, seeing how effective our troops were in France?

And why, pray tell are you so focused on Meath? Yes, the land was lost, and yes, they are, nominally, our subjects. But you advocate enveloping us in another war. Wait. Wait for a year. Let us see what happens across the pond, eh?

And you sir, say I said the Bretons will break their vassalage. Show me where I said that. I dare you to. For sir, I merely said that should Brittany break her vassalage, they would pay for it. Note how I say "They". So if they do break their vassalage, then make them pay.

Get your facts straight, and do not accuse me of lying when it is you who are doing so!"

Sir Hugh had had a fever for some weeks, and had only now returned to Parliament -- and this was what he returned to?

"This fool bickering", he growled, "is getting us nowhere. The Whigs and Tories are presently substantially in agreement regarding the reduction of inflation; but what we cannot forget is that it was the Whig government that gave us high inflation to begin with! But I think my brother Earl Fitzgerald is too generous; to his comments, I would ask: what Whig leadership?"

Hugh paused for a moment so the Tory chuckles could subside. "Sir Charles, I ask you this about Brittany -- why would we want to let them shirk their vassalage when their loyalty can be bought with a little coin? You are quite correct -- our new neighbors doubtless look on us with trepidation. So why encourage an enemy in our midst? Let us buy the friendship of the Bretons and the Iberians, and as many of our other mighty neighbors as we can handily manage, and enjoy a few years of peace whilst they forget our new conquests. Mayhaps we might even buy the friendship of the Irish -- as loath as I am to suggest it, I imagine they will be less intractable to diplomacy when they have Meath. Perhaps someday we can add the Irish Isle to our kingdom. But for now, let us rest, and later we can plan the permanent removal of France, and investigate connecting the two halves of our Continental holdings through more conquest. For now, let us lower inflation and encourage good relations through coin. There will be plenty of years to fight later when England is rich."

"Gentlemen i know that you all have very busy thing to attend to, especially in the occupied territorys and as such i will keep this meeting as brief as possible. The first half of the year passed very quietly, obviously the french peasents were in a state of shock about their new rulers and that the 'mighty' french army had been defeated in battle. However on June 1st 1425 some peasents, in a misguided attempt to throw off our rule, revolted and siezed all the weapons that were close at hand. However they had reckoned without Lord Clarence who quickly arrived in Cevenne and chased them back to their homes. Any who surrendered were allowed back to their jobs, we thought this would show our mercy to the populace as a whole."

"And as a preventitive measure this seemed to work until Nov 9th when a wave of Obscurantism washed up on our shores. This sent the already tenuous peasents into uproar and all around france the peasents rose up against our valiant armies. Luckily they were up to the task and by the end of the year the countryside had been pacified."

"It is also my sorrowful duty to tell you that Eire, which had been doing well against the scots was forced to yield all their territories apart from Ulster, thus doubling scotlands territorial size. We can only despair as it seems as though they are doomed."

"Which brings us to today, and this is just news to me as well, but Lyonnais is in flames and Clarence is marching to put them down again. Recruiting has been implimented in the counquered territories to replace the loss of men that we are experiancing. Also as another thing Inflation reached 1% this year and shows no sign of falling. Oh and we gifted Brittany 122 Ducats and it seemd to go down well (OOC: Relationship from -156 to -15). Thank you gentlemen, and now if you wish you may go to the estates that are being set up for you in france. Have a nice day.

OOC: You dont need a map this time because nothings changed :D Also we have 152 golds in the treasury.