• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Buxom Venetian Beauty to Wed English Lord

Woodcuts - Page three.
Kiss and tell confessions of a Venetian chambermaid - Page four.
Ye Sunne's guide to Ye Tottie of Venice - Page five.
Minutes of the Speaker's speech to Parliament - Page twenty (after the obituaries).

Last edited:
A messanger from Earl John, Sir Isaac Henry took his lord's place in Parliament, while he was sobering up.

"Honourble lords, Earl John is... eh... occupied, so he has asked me to read his statement."

"'First of all, we must end our current monetary policy. As Baron Friedman has pointed out, creating money at our current rate will cause much undesired inflation. So much, in fact, that our price index will increase by a full .33% by the end of the year. And currently, our infrastructure is too poor to cope with so much inflation. I advocate bringing the number down to a maximum of .1%.

"'Furthermore, we are undermining much-needed investments in other areas; in particular, weapon technology, trade, and infrastructure. We should discontinue our investments in improving ship-building techniques, while these three areas are brought up to snuff.

"'It's a shame that this Labour gov't has still not paid any attention to sound monetary advice, or wise fiscal policy.

"'Thank you, and good day, my lords.'"

"I don't know what kind of bussines the Earl has in the local pub but that's another mather," Lord HJ said.
"we have the money, so let's use it, let's raise 5000 infantry and sen it to Gloucester in Vendee, the wave to get Vendee becaus it's the only harbor France has. After the fall of Vendee we should sen Gloucester to the south."

Position of England 1422

"Gentlemen it is once again time for our annual briefing. For those of you who actually attend there is the chance to get something done, for those who dont *cough* Prime Minister *cough* well we may have to impeach you. Now i will get to the important business."

"If you will remember gentlemen the army under Beuchamp was marching to Champagne, on the official reason to invade, but as we are aware Beuchamp has a drinking problem although as long as this doesnt affect his performance we are not bothered. Anyway on January 16th Beuchamp arrived im Champagne and laid siege to the province. Also war taxes were raiesd, moving on."

"On the same day as the siege started 10,000 foot troops were trained in London to go and join the siege of Vendee which was still continuing. In a month the troops boarded the Royal Navy Squadron 14 with 36 warships for protection. On the way through the channel they were met by the remenants of the french fleet and in a vicious battle the remaining 6 french ships were sunk for a loss of 2 british warships. They continued on their course and arrived at vendee nearing the end of march."

"As soon as they arrived the siege finnished but Bedford, grateful for this addition to his forces, marched to Guyenne and arrived and started the siege on March 14th. The siege knowledge of this brilliant general immediatly began to have effect as the walls started to crumble."

"All of England had a fully efficiant taxation system as of July 4th and the populace, while a bit put out, seemed to take this in their stride with the stiff british upper lip... Not much happened for the rest of the year, a royal marrige with Eire upped the spirits of people on both sides of the Irish sea. Relations with Brittany improved following a gift of 44D to their treasury. They now only hate us, rather than hating us with a passion..."

"The last notable event of last year was the capitulation of Guyenne, obviously Bedford's strategies were too much for the local Garrison. Bedford gathered his weary men and marched to langdouc as soon as humanely possible. It is under siege as we speak. Soon it seems that france will be under our total control... victory is at hand. France has only 3 more provinces to take before we can dictate peace terms to them."

Englands Budget 1422

GAME INFO:

Stability +2
4.6 Ducats per month
Inflation .22% per year

Sir Charles Numbnuts comes rushing in...

His face flushed. He had been indisposed, ransomed actually, but that was neither here nor there.

Mr. Speaker, sir. Lords, I have to apologize for my prior inability to show up. I see that things have happened, things that I have taken into account. Now! As Lord Chancellor, a few things must be done. One: No more funds into the treasury. I would rather risk a loan than risk dreaded inflation. Two. I say that funds be used to send out merchants to our nearest trade centres, whether that be Flandern or even, if the merchants are feeling incredibly brave, to the Frenchmen's own backyard, in Ile de France.

In the matter of where the funds should be focused, I say this. Land and Trade. Land and Trade. Through use of our armies, we can hopefully take the Frenchmen, and hang them out to dry.

Through trade? We can create an economic empire the likes of which will rival those Venetian Dogs, or is it Doge? Well, that is neither here nor there.

As for the Esteemed Prime Minister, I cannot say where he is, and would hope he would show himself soon. A Party without a Leader is no Party at all.

And as for the successes of the Lord Bedford, I say Huzzah! Let us not give in, let us fight them on the beaches, in the alleys and the countrysides of France. Let us force the French King to acknowledge that the English are the one and only rightful rulers of that nation that calls itself France!

With that, Sir Charles sat down in his eat, and let the others speak.

"Well our stategie has worked out fine," said Lord HJ
"in a few month's, a year maybe we will have defeated France completely, after that we can go for Meath and Scotland.
I must say that our Lord Chancelor is right, we should send traders out and we have to stop the inflation, we don't need money."

Tell me, Lord Mannerville. Would you allow the inflation to grow slowly, so that when our children and our children's children must place loans on themselves to simply afford sending our troops abroad? Hmm? You say that my policies will cost the lives of our troops. How so? What exactly is it about focusing investment on troops going to lead to their deaths? What? Do you think so little of our glorious troops abilities, think they are like the French, who would rather sit around drinking their wine than actually fighting? Hmm? I say focus on the army. In that way, we can field better armies, and with better armies, hopefully rout any opposition that we may face. That lives will be lost is a necessary evil of war. I do not think that you could go through a war without losing some lives. It is inevitable.

One last thing about inflation. If we continue to allow it to grow, what sort of an effect will it have on the country? A good one? I do not think so, sir. No! Not a good effect at all!

Sir Charles sat down, thoroughly impressed with his real or imagined oratory skills.

Englands Position and Budget 1423

"Gentlemen I am afraid that i will have to keep this annual meeting quite short today (ministers cheer), thank you for that, i know that you all rely on these meetings to re-aquire yourself with british politics but the reason that this meeting is short is that last year apart from the war in france not much happened. Let me tel you what did happen though..."

"As we discussed, we need to get Brittany back on our side incase they abandon our cause and side with the hated french, in this vein letters were sent to brittany all through last year and we managed to improve relations quite a bit. But they still are a danger, but they are getting less and less priority as time goes by. They are doing well in sieges though as they have taken the capital of Auvergune and are now helping us besiege their last remaining province."

"The Tax collection initiative is gathering pace and as such it was expanded to the continent this year, Caux, Normandie and Calais were the latest recipients and they have just completed this so this year the southern french provinces will begin this programme, hopefully by the end of the next year all of our holdings will have tax coverage."

"The war in france took a dramatic step closer to complete victory this year as from March 1st to May 1st Languedoc and Champagne capitulated and by May 17th both Ninervais, the last french province in the north, and Dauphine were udner siege. Both these provinces are only, at most, 3 months away from falling. When that happens the only province that will need to be taken will be Lyonnais, which by the way Burgandy had captured but then they traded it back for 50D."

"Also after months of delays Henry VI finally took up the mantle of his great father and became our gracious king on September 2nd. He ratifys his fathers choice of parliment and promises not to intefere in the running of the government. It coems as no surprise that he isnt as brilliant as his father but i think there will only be one such man in history and i am delighted that i had the chance to meet him. Its a pity that he didnt live long enough to see france humbled."

"And that gentlemen is the end of our meeting. As requested by Lord Nubnuts the budget has been arranged accordingly to his wishes. You can all see the results of this on the attached leaflet. Oh and as a reminder, on Jan 1st 1424 there will be a general election so i would guess that you would be advised to spend this year campaigning for your parties. I will have the results in time for the next meeting. Thank you gentlemen, good luck for this coming election..."

Those of you who wish to make your speeches for the elction make them so your talking to the common people.

Ie... I Promise that in our next term of power we will.... etc

Sir Charles, speaking to some commoners in a nondescript marketsquare

Ladies and gentlemen! I, the Lord Chancellor, know that some of you have complained that with the new tax system that has been brought in that you are not as well off as you used to be. But I say this! That money is used to pay for our glorious soldiers! Without your help, they would be marching off to certain death! And I know that you do not want this. Some of them may be your sons or husbands.

Some members of the Opposition Parites have decried my moves, declaring that by asking for more investment be made in the amry that I am wasting money, time, and lives. Poppycock! By doing so, I am ensuring our glorious troops are better equipped, better trained, and more likely to survive than any of our hated enemies...

I would also say that I personally vow to ensure that the inflation, that makes it harder for you to buy what you need to, is curtailed. Unlike other 'loyal' members of Parliament, who would see you pay 10 times what it now costs for a loaf of bread or fish, wool for your clothes, or ale for your bellies, I promise that if I am allowed to remain Lord Chancellor, I will ensure that inflation remains as low as possible...

Now some of you may be asking what good the Whig party is, if we cannot even show you our leader, the prime minister? I say that although he may be indisposed, who would you rather have in control of Parliament? The bumbling Liberals? Perhaps the Tories? Both of which would not know a good idea if it bit them on their backside!

(There is much laughter at this little joke. Sir Charles Smiles, and sums up his speech)

So! I would say this: Let the Whig Party see the country through these trying times, and I promise you, I personally will try to take this country to heights it has not reached before. Let us all give a cheer for our soldiers abroad. Hip hip!

"Hooray"

Hip! Hip!

"Hooray!"

Hip! Hip!

"Hooray!"

And so, Sir Charles smiles as the peasants applaud heartily. On to the net batch...

I heartily support the taxation. It raises money for our loyal soldiers. I suggest joining the alliance of another major power aside from Burgandy as soon as possible however, or even better, invite one into the fold.

"I'm sorry Lord Faelin, but if i'm right you want another power in the war against France?" said Lord HJ.
"Bad idea, in the next year we will have taken control of whole France, in two years we will have there vassals also.
If another power joines the fun, if i may say so.
Maybe we would get less, it would waste decades."

Mr. Thameswet rises:

"Gentlemen, it is well and good that we provide for our armies which are so valiantly subduing the foe, but by allowing our roads and farms to fall into ruin, you bring about present happiness at the expense of future poverty!

We must abolish the minting of our taxes into royal funds! We must provide for our infrastructure! No less will serve the people of England, whom I remind you all we are purported to represent."

Sniffing loudly, he sits.

O.

Sir Charles speaks to another group of peasants, at a different marketplace. Whilst others seem to still be in the House of Lords(?) or Parliament(??) Sir Charles is oot and aboot glad handing the populcae, who will decide if he remains Whig Chancellor, or perhaps even moves up in status..

"I know that perhaps some other members decry my calls for focusing on the army, saying 'He let's the Country fall to ruin to show short term gains.'I say that I see the wisdom in this, and would say that to ignore the roads, the boothes, is folly. But to split the focus equally between maintaining roads and maintaining the army, the Army must come first!"

There is much cheering, as the victories in France have raised the general mood of the populace to dizzying hieghts. Sir Charles continues...

"I am not saying that we should wholly abandon the roads, boothes, the very lifeblood of the country's internal trade. I am simply saying that the Army get preferential treatment...

Now, as for allies, allowing more into our alliance is not a wise move. It allows for more potentially dangerous moves, perhaps the new allies take a province we have fought long and hard for, thus wasting our glorious soldiers lives. I for one will not stand for such a thing!"

Sir Charles continues to speak, capturing the attention of the audience. He has a way with words, and hopes to use this ability to further his ambitions...

No no, I'm discussing a plan for after the conquest of France. Austria would make a wise choice.

There was much commotion in the market place of Bedford as Sir Charles ranted on about the benefits of Whig governance and the folly of trusting to the Tory party. Apart from about twenty or thirty active supporters, most of the audience were quite bemused at what appeared to be some attempt to provoke a revolt against those who were not in power.

Fortunately, Major John of Huntingdon was on hand with his company to ensure that peace prevailed although he was less concerned about the safety of the Lord Chancellor. His chief fear was from the small scuffle he had seen to the north side of the square where a couple of drunken farm labourers were throwing manure at anyone who cheered when Sir Charles raised his hand.

He had already sent his second in command, Brigadier Anthony Blair to ensure that the rowdy group of agitators returned to their normal business. While the Brigadier was fairly diligent in his work, he was often distracted by the attention of a writer from the local daily herald eager to get an opinion from the election campaign. Eager to get his face recognised at large Anthony had even been recorded as speaking to the scurrilous rumour-mongers from "Ye Sunne" whose latest headlines stories bore the titles "Three in a Bedford" and "Pope INNOCENT?".

One thing did bother the rather bookish Major. Why was it that the Lord Chancellor was canvassing around market towns where the people - even if they accepted the commonplace bribes that were offered at these events - would have no clue how to vote? But all this was irrelevant since none of them had any vote in this upcoming election. So that much was clear. Sir Charles was simply out and about stirring up trouble in the regions. It was all the more likely that it wouldn't be long before he would be elevated to the front pages himself.

Earl Hugh bowed low to the robed man. "Your Eminence." He hardly felt it necessary, but the situation was critical. The Bishop of Winchester, it was said, controlled the boy-King, barely now out of his swaddling clothes; only by courting the Bishop could Hugh hope to court the Crown. Hugh hazarded a glance to the side as he rose, smoothing his deep blue court robes, emblazoned with the arms of Courtenay. Good. His page, Roderick, was cloaked in shadow, poised to record every letter written, and there were enough guards about to make the culprit unclear. Very good. It had taken a sizeable bribe to arrange for his page to be sneaked into the hall, but he had an advantage -- the Bishop was half-blind. He would never notice Roderick concealed there. If the other fools will not move to win us Parliament, though Hugh, then I will.

The ancient Bishop motioned Hugh forward. "We hear much from Parliament these days, Lord Devon. I am told the time is nearly upon us for one of these... hrm... elections? A curious concept that our dear departed King Harry conceived of. Perhaps something like that of the Germans?"

Hugh saw an opening, and took it. "I believe so, Your Eminence. Perhaps His Grace King Harry thought that it was wise to emulate the Holy Roman Empire and its close connections to the Mother Church."

The Bishop smiled warmly. Perfect. "A good and pious man, King Harry was, and wise beyond his years. Not so different from yourself, Lord Devon."

Hugh had to struggle mightily to suppress a boastful grin. More true than you know, you old coot. "You are too kind, Eminence. I only hope to serve the Church and her servant England in mine life."

The Bishop nodded sagely. "Well-said, good Devon. Now, then, out with it. What would you speak with me of?"

So, he tires of word games and goes straight to business. Tactless, but predictable. Hugh drew in a deep breath and prepared for a long diatribe. "Your Eminence, the incompetence of the Whigs is apparent. They have mishandled our wars, sacrificing our rightful holds in Ireland for a questionable peace with the hated Scots. How might we ever hope to seize the Irish territories and turn them to our own good gain if we have no foothold? It is well-known that the Holy Church's wisdom is not clear to those brutes, and many still follow their outdated ways. Now, Ireland might well be cut off to us -- who knows for how long?"

He paused to gauge the Bishop's reaction. He was pleased to see the Bishop nodding in agreement. "Well-said again, good Devon; but what would you propose to do about this?"

Hugh was ready for that one. "We must court both the Irish and the Bretons; only then might we hope to convert the Celtic folk to our ways. Too, we must ready for war with the Scot, for he will not remain docile for long; especially not after the fall of his French allies. Mayhaps we could even bring the Irish into our alliance to bolster our wars and remove a potential threat. But the Whigs have not stopped there, Your Eminence; their mishandling of our budget is of particular concern to myself. The tax collection upgrade should have taken two years, not five, and inflation is still far too high. The Whigs would press us to more war, and destroy our abilities to fight. We must improve our arms and economy if we are to survive. And I need not even mention the absence of the Prime Minister; do the Whigs truly think our good governance so unimportant that they need not attend Parliament?"

The Bishop smiled cautiously. "You speak much wisdom, Devon, as I have said before. The Church especially, and the Court generally, share many of your concerns. The Whigs prosecute their war with little concern for the rest of England. What of our Crown's reputation when we seize half of France? We will be hated, reviled. I have even heard that, as the war with France drags on and the Crown resides in but a boy, the peasantry grow restless."

Hugh nodded emphatically. "I have heard these rumours too, Your Eminence. These times are troubled indeed." Hugh checked off a mental tick. Rumours bought, paid for, and well worth it. "But let me tell you more of the hopes of the Tories for our government......"

Two hours later, Earl Hugh strode for the stable with Roderick in tow, spouting a stream of orders as he went. "...as many copies as you can. One to Ye Sunne, one to The Fairly, But Not Entirely Independent. The rest to various would-be rebels, rumourmongers, and any fence-sitting Lords in Parliament. Feel free to embellish the bit about how concerned the Church and Crown are about Whig misgovernance. Oh, you'll need some money; here." The Earl pressed a few coins into Roderick's hand. "And send a note to Earl John -- if he wants more bribes, we will need more funds." He paused. "Well, Roderick, what are you waiting for? We have an election to win!"

After the speech of Lord Charles on the marketplace, the Wighs had an meeting.
"My friends and true partymembers, i have assembeld this meeting to discuss our campain policy. What do we do, what is our elections program. And where is our prime minister!" spoke lord HJ.
"Gentleman what do you think?"

Sir Charles speaks to the assembled Whigs..

"Sirs! I would say that some may grumble that the way we have carried ourselves in the wars fought up to this time is less than reputable. I would say this. We are at war. We must focus on this. If we ignore it, we risk alienating the families of the men who fight across the pond in France. I would also say that we should focus our interests on ensuring that order is restored, appease the peasants. Some of you may wonder why I was going from marketplace to marketplace. To guage the effects of the war on the general population. It seemed they were not adverse to it...

"If we focus on improving the Army, improving the infrastructure of the country, and seeking the best possible peace with the hated French, then we can turn our eyes north. Teach the Scots that not since William Wallace, traitor to the Crown, has any Scot held territory in England. And we will make that one of our primary points. We will not allow any English subject to be placed under a foreign power. What say you, members of the Whig Party?"