• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Grothgar

Mathmagician
58 Badges
Nov 8, 2001
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Victoria 2
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • BATTLETECH
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
The Final List

Labour:
Prime Minister: HolisticGod
Defense Minister: HJ Tulp: Lord HJ
Chancellor: Honour_Shogun: Lord Charles Xavier Nubnuts
Foreign Secretary: Dan Cook: Lord Dan Cook

Tories:
Leader of Opposition: Ramo: Lord John Fitzgerald
Shadow Defense Minister: Faeelin : Lord Faeelin
Shadow Chancellor: The_Hawk: Lord Hugh Courtenay
Shadow Foreign Secretary: Toranaga De Arc: Lord Teddie Duningham

Liberal Democrats:
Party Leader: O.Cromwell: Lord Haberdasher
Party Defense Minister: pds: Lord Sillicorn
Party Chancellor: Samruc: Lord Arthur Cunningham
Party Foreign Secretary: Lord Joseph: Lord Joseph Manderville

The English Empire

Lord Douglas Maines shook his head as he looked at the map on his wall, the red of england staining the map, but not enough to this proud man. Having just been named the Speaker of the House of Commons, Henry was just too busy conquering to administer the country properly, and so had called on the populace to vote for who they had wanted to represent them. Henry called it a parliment, Douglas called it madness.

But it was a madness he was in control of, he could shout down the prime minister if things got too out of hand. It was the first meeting of the house this morning and already Douglas had some dire news, the scots were invading in the north, this threatened to spoil englands plans he thought as he stepped into the main chamber of the House.

"Order, Order!!!" he shouted above the din, the Labour Chancellor Sir Charles Xavier Numbnuts had just been telling an obviously fanciful story of a fellow he claimed to have known, someone called "Bob", but never "Bobby", Death. The house was in uproar, some laughing some very offended by this tale of ethiopia being a world power, when could this happen was the question most asked, but when the gavel came down silence reigned supreme.

"Gentlemen, please, we are here to start the running of the country, not to listen to fanciful stories, i see the prime minister hasnt returned from that trip to the loo, oh well we will have to start without him, but this sets a bad example for the rest of your party Sir Charles. See that you dont ruin it even further."

"Now to business, we have many a thing to get through, and probably not enough time to do half the load. First of all gentlemen could i divert your attention to the leaflets now being handed out to each of you, i want you to pay attention to this one."

Englands Diplomatic Relations

"The Situation is thus, we are at war with mainland france, and all her petty vasals, but we just recieved word this morning that the scots have taken up arms against us and are now marching onto northumberland!!! An army under Beuchamp has marched to meet them but Henry is requesting more troops on the continent and these could be used there to greater effect he thinks."

"But do not despair because Brittany and Burgandy march with us in this rightous course to put Henry upon the throne of france where he belongs by bloodright. Henry is in Caux at the moment with his trusted general Bedford by his side, surely with that force nothing can stop them."

At that moment a messenger ran into the room and handed a few sheafs of letters into the Speakers hands. He read them silently his face showing no expression as he turned to face the House again.

"Gentlemen it seems we have a rift developing in our command structure. If these letters are to be believed, and i have no doubt as they carry the royal seal then Henry and Bedford are arguing where to go next."

"Henry wishes to attack Paris itself hoping that by taking this marvelous city it would show the power of the english to the lesser french vassals and thus make them submit to our will. Bedford on the other hand wishes to attack Orleans to whittle down the french support one vassal at a time. As they cannot agree they have appealed to us, as the nations administrators to sort this mess out."

"Also General Gloucester is in southern france already and wishes to advance even further to claim lands for the crown, he sees no french forces in sight but still asks for our guidence. What say you men of parliment???"

GAME STATS:

The DP Sliders

2.6 Merchants p/y
2.5 settles p/y
6 Diplomats p/y
2.2 Missionaries p/y

Land Tech 2 will be reached July 1434
Naval Tech 2 will be reached July 1434
Stability will improve by 1 on november 1419
Trade tech 2 in dec 1429
Infrastructure tech 2 in sept 1431

Budget at moment -9.1 Ducats per month

Stability +1
Manpower 10/31
Treasury 450 Ducats

Armies:

Anglia: (5000/2000/0) Exeter (2/2/2)
Caux: (25000/6000/0) Henry (5/6/5/1) Bedford (5/4/3/1)
NorthUmberland: (12000/2000/0) Beuchamp (3/4/4)
Gascogne: (14000/2000/0) Gloucester (2/3/1)

Last edited:
OOC: House of Commons? Why would they have any puwer in 1419?

Earl John Fitzgerald took the floor of the main chamber of the English Parliament, and nodded towards Lord Maines, "Thank you Speaker.

"I am here today, honourable Lords, to insure that his Majesty becomes nothing less than le Roi de France. I am here today to make sure that each and every one of us, gentlemen, will have a fief on the continent." Met with an uproar of applause, barring a few radical merchants in the building, Fitzgerald held up his hand for silence, "Now to accomplish these righteous goals, I suggest the following strategy:

"First of all, before we committ ourselves to a new strategy, we must invest more in the training and gear of our troops (OOC: Quality++). This will prevent our armies from being routed by the perfidious French."

Gauging his peers' reactions, and watching his support starting to wane, the Earl quickly added, "I know that some of us are set in our ways, but we have seen such techniques have worked well in this war. For example, in the fields of Agincourt (OOC: Pulling this out of my ass). Adopting these changes can only lead to success.

"As for our agenda, I suggest that in the Paris front we should wait for the French to committ their troops. If they direct their attack towards Burgandy, by all means recommend his Majesty to start the siege of Paris. If the French decide not to leave Paris, recommend young Henry to capture Picardie.

"If Henry can spare any men, Bedford should try to knock one of the French allies out of the war, such as Orleans, or perhaps capture Vendee.

"And Gloucester, by all means, should start capturing the South.

"Beauchamp and Exeter should not waste undue time with the Scots. As soon as we can secure a status quo ante-bellum peace in the North, the better.

"Thank you for your time, wise nobles."

Earl Hugh harumphed his approval as John Fitzgerald made for his seat. Rather than take to the podium -- or await official recognition of his desire to speak -- he simply began a loud diatribe whilst still sitting. He knew the reaction such a move would engender -- what a pompous ass! and reveled in it.

"Hear, hear! Earl John speaks well and truly. I disagree with him on only a few points." At this, Hugh stood and began strolling nonchalantly toward the podium. He made a concerted effort to pitch his speech towards the Tories, ignoring the glares he was receiving from the majority party -- and the Speaker. "First, methinks our armies in the field are strong enough; good King Harry is a mighty warrior, as Agincourt did'st prove. But we cannot permit our forces to be split overmuch. Let us recommend that the King divide his forces and send Bedford after Orleans whilst the King himself follows the plan of good Earl John." He nodded in false respect to Fitzgerald. Upstart. "Gloucester's army could be divided and the two halves sent to reinforce the King and Bedford; the south of France can wait until Paris is ours."

"Meanwhile, our forces here in London could be deployed to support our war efforts in the north. A good victory or two and we should have the damned Scots at the bargaining table. We might deploy the navy to patrol the waters of the Channel, too. We cannot have the Scots doing anything we would not approve of, hmmm?"

"On the economic side of matters, I suggest we turn the treasury toward improving our tax collection system. We could comfortably improve as many as seven or eight province -- the whole south of England -- on our current budget. After all, we must make money if the King is to prosecute his war."

Hugh had thus far maintained his speech on momentum alone, but losing it would inevitably bring the fury of the Speaker down on him. He saw his time was up. "In sum, it is apparent that this is the wisest course for this august body to adopt." A quick half-bow to the stone-silent crowd, and he retreated to his seat.

Our King should split the army one going for the vassels and the other marching to paris creating supply lines. We need the navy to destroy the french warships so we can ferry troops to normandy and calais . This way the french will be stretched and we have a better chance of winning on both fronts

Lord Skillicorn
Defense minister liberals

OOC: Ramo in 1419 the house of commons wouldnt have any power, however the title of this AAR is the New English parliment and the house of commons is where all the power is held :D

Sir Cunningham rose and cleared his throat;

"Gentlemen, I disagree with some of the things you've said. I think that Henry should move to Orleans with all of his army, so that we quickly can annex them. Mr Gloucester should stay and defend our southern borders. And I don't think it is necessary to end the Scottish war at once. Tell Mr Beuchamp that he pulls back to Lancashire. There he can meet Exeter, and with some newly recruited infantery from Lancashire, say 3000 or so, I think he can defeat the Scottish.

I shouldn't speak of the military though, because my area of knowledge is money. These are my budgetary plans for next year: We shouldn't invest in trade or infrastructure, and the fleet could wait as well. I suggest we put half our money to the army, and the rest to our treasury, so that we can build new troops. I think the key to domination on the continent is the land army, and that's why we should develop it.

As to our domestic policies, I think it would be bad to change them during a war, as it would cause unrest in our country. The last thing we need is a lot of revolts to deal with.

Thank you for listening"

He bowed and sat down, ready to defend his ideas against critizism.

Ted Dunningham rose to speak his mind:

"Honourable Lords, I must agree with the actions suggested by both Earl John and Lord Skillicorn. But I cannot come to any decision without hearing from the leaders of the ruling party. Sir Henry John, what say you to the King's course of action."

He bowed to Sir Henry, and awaited his response.

Lord Douglas Maines, speaker of the house listened intently to the various opinions being thrown around the house, he winced at a few of them but being the speaker he was to have no political opinions. He could however respond to breaches in protocal and thus after Sir Teddie Dunningham had sat down he bashed his gavel down and turned his narrow gaze on Earl Hugh Courtenay.

"In the future i would ask, Earl Hugh, that you proceed by the proper protocals when you wish to voice an opinion, i know that getting up to the stand will strain whatever energy reserves you hold but if everyone else has to do it so will you. I will forgive you this once but other outbursts like this will not be accepted as such."

Douglas sat down and wiped his brow to cover a certain grimace that came over his face as he looked over at the labour party bench. Without the Prime Minister they looked like a lot of headless chickens all looking around and none of them with a strong enough presence to take control of this situation. 'Just like a madhouse' came the thought through his head. He sighed heavily and hit the gavel down again to stop a fight between two backbenchers, this was going to be a long day...

"No. No! We cannot defeat the Scots. Give them Meath , and then ship the northern army to the continent."

"Make peace with as many French vassals a we can; we can handle them after France is gone. I suggest that we also take il de france before Orleans, depriving them of much needed income. "

"Well Dunnigham" Lord Henry-John ( HJ ) sayd.
"I think that we should send Gloucester to Vendee becaus the french fleet is there, in the meanwhile the invasion army should go totaly to Orleans, but when the french army leaves Paris whe have to split the invasion army and send half of it to Paris.
About the scottish 'problem i think we have to send our army here in London to Nortumberland, we could make some infantry but i think it will be enough."

England Situation: Jan 1st 1420

Lord Maines stood, his face hiding his mask of anguish, he faced the assembled ministers and started to slowly speak, as, if he spoke slowly it would make the words less true.

"Gentlemen, it is my sad duty to inform you that as of October 19th 1419 we have a new king. The news has been kept from us and the public for two months but now i may reveal all. Henry died valiantly leading a charge against numerically superior forces in the vicinity of Paris. He was struck by a crossbow bolt that plunged through his breastplate killing him instantly. His death inspired our forces to rout the french so that even as we speak Paris is under siege."

"Now although this news saddens me, there will be a minutes silence at the end of the court session, i need to tell you the rest of the events of the realm."

"Most of europe is in flames, Poland decided to throw its weight around using lithuania as a sheild and the alliance of Prussia, Mecklemburg, Pommern, Bremen, Holstein and the Teutonic Order rose to oppose them, again even as we speak this war goes on, with both sides exhausting each other. On Jan 14th the church, under the Orders of Henry, let the heretics be, which enraged our allies and enemys both, but otherwise the nation would have been distabalised, and we couldnt risk it."

"It was on January 19th that Henry started his ill fated siege of Paris having already dispatched Bedford with 1000 cavalry to vendee to lend his siege expertise to Gloucester who was also moving there under orders from parliment. Unfortunately by the time he got there the french fleet had put to see. The Siege began on February 17th."

"Meanwhile on February 2nd the Scots started to siege Northumberland as Beuchamp had withdrawn to await re-inforcements, however Henry followed the advice of Sir Faeelin, who with his experiance fighting the scottish offered the best solution, gifted the Scots Meath to end the fighting. There armies have just withdrawn recently going back to Lothian. The army under Beuchamp borded the English Naval fleet and was deposited in Picardee on April 29th to begin a siege of that Province."

"The Fleet then engaged the French in two seperate engagements and sunk a total of 6 warships for no loss, the french fleet retired to lick its wounds. The sieging armies repelled all attacks on the provinces by the french and on September 29th Picardee fell to the victorious Beuchamp. He quickly moved to Orleans and started sieging the next month hoping to knock them out of the war."

"Following the fall of Picardee we were inundated with offers of peace by Frances vassals, Bourbonnais and Provences offers were accepted knocking them out of the war, but Orleans and Auvegene were rejected as Henry has plans for them..."

"And then on October 19th Henry fell, surely the worst thing to happen to this nation, His body is being carried in state to England and once it arrives our new monarch will be Henry VI, Henrys son you will remember. At this moment there are three sieges which demand our attention. Orleans, which is estimated to fall in 9 months and Vendee and Paris will fall in 3 months. Our position is strong Lords, what can we do to make it stronger??"

England Territory and Sliders

GAME INFO:

Stabilty +2
Manpower 13/34
Ducats 160 (2.6 per month)
Inflation 0.51 increase each year.

Lord Henry-John asked the chancellor if he may speak.
"You may."
"Thank you mylord. Mylords our position is indeed strong, and to make it stronger, i know i'm the defense minister and not the foreign minister, we have to arrange royal marriages, so that the change of being attaked is smaller.
After the we have conquert Vendee we should send that army to guyenne and let our flee patrol the french coast seeking for the french fleet.
The army besieging Paris should after the conquert Paris head to Caux.
If said, thank you

OOC: oops :p I guess it shows that I haven't played a GC as England, I was running of what I've seen them do in other GCs I've played. So Rm with Brittany is out. I just edited this to save space.

"Lord Chancellor, if I may...?"

Gesturing to the entire House.

"I must agree with the Honorable Lord Henry-John."

"Clearly, our actions in dealing with the heretics has weakened our alliance, which may very well impede our war efforts in France. I propose we send an offer of Royal Marriage to Burgundy, to ensure control over any 'unwanted' interruptions."

Turning to Lord Maines.

"I would also request more information, regarding France's relations with Iberian and Scandinavian nations, in case further diplomatic actions are needed."

"Thank you, and God Save the King!":p :p

Last edited:
More Game Info as requested

England Relations (Important)

Burgandy +10 (We have an alliance)
Brittany -198 (They are vassals so no royal marriges)

Frances Relations:

Provence +200
Bourbonnais +199
Orleans +199
Auvergne +194
Scotland +118
Aragon +115

Sir Joseph Manderville addresses the assembly:

"Fair assembly, it grieves me to learn of our recent actions with the Scots. I believe that it was a horrid decision to grant them anything, save the sword. We must remember, gentlemen, that it is the French who lead this alliance, and we could have just as easily focused on them, for they will be the ones to meet at the bargaining table. I hope in the future we will consider whom the leader of our enemies is before granting lands to their friends, lest they should earn them first. Good Day Gentlemen."

"Damn Fools..."

*under his breath*

Veins bulging from Earl John's forehead, his normally expressionless facade came crashing down. John rose to his feet and glared in succession at his fellow Tory "expert" in war and then the Speaker, "Sirs, how dare you hand over my main estate to the Scots? Lord Manderville speaks truly. If you were worrying of a distintegration of the French alliance, a victorious battle or a successful siege could've brought the Scots to a peace table, without raping the King's domains. I view this action as nothing less than an insult upon House Lancaster and House Fitzgerald."

John promptly left Parliament while his fellow nobles were still in shock. He softly muttered to himself, "I shall not be another John Landless."

Last edited:
Earl Hugh vaulted to his feet, waiting -- barely -- to be recognized before continuing Earl John's tirade. He leveled an accusing finger at the Labour Chancellor, Charles Xavier.

"This is madness! Half a percent of inflation a year, and for what? Our treasury is full, and this lunatic would mint away our stability and economic growth? We must slash inflation immediately!"

He turned on the Speaker. "Good my lord, what of the tax improvements I recommended? Where does our economy stand now that Labour has chosen to drive it into the ground?"

Hugh turned to the entire audience, many of whom were now shouting him down. "Labour has sacrificed our lands, our economy, and our King, and in a year have won us what? Nothing! And where is the Prime Minister? Who runneth this circus? Fie, I say, fie on the whole of the Labour Party!"

The Earl turned and stormed out after John Fitzgerald; the pair, often at loggerheads, removed together to a secret place, to plot and plan the removal of the Labour Party from power.

this may be OOC... but i think it is important...

all of our characters, or at least most of them, would be considered "lords"... I think this AAR would make ALOT more sense and be easier to work with if we were in the house of lords- just my opinion though :)

also, please make a post of the current players and their positions in this thread so it is easier to identify who is who :)

Later that very same day when all the lords were in attendance in the newly renamed house of lords, Lord Maines slammed the gavel down so hard that it snapped in two stopping the low voiced murmurs sweeping through the room.

"Gentlemen, you may not know why you have been called here today, i do. I called this meeting using my unique powers as the speaker, im glad you all attended, because had you not it would have been a treasonous offence. But anyway down to business..."

"First on my agenda is you Lord Manderville!!! What in hells name do you think your doing!!! You are questioning an action by our, then, sovereign monarch. The King isnt even lying in state and yet your savaging him for probably saving our skins. Yes it is regretable that we had to give up Meath, even though the irish are always a thorn in our side anyway. Also as long as Scotland stays in the French alliance, we have a Cassius Belli over them. The situation will be rectified. And dont you agree Lord Manderville that the victory over france is more important in the long run??"

"Lord John, i understand your ire, your family estates do now lie in the hands of the enemy, but as i have just said it wont be for long, that will be top priority after the war with france is finnished. Also may i point out to you Lord John that it was your own defense minister who suggested giving away your ancestral lands. Instead of blaming all and sundry maybe you should sort your own party out first!!!"

"Lord Hugh, while the economics of this country may concern you you may not have noticed but we are only getting a measly 2.6 ducats per month, that is why the inflation rate is rising so high, we have to mint more coins to keep up with the demand caused by the war in france. And if you noticed on the last handout you should see the symbols representing Tax Collectors being trained all over southern england, this should surely sort out the reforms you have no right to make. Save your ideas for when/if you get into power."

"To everyone else i think i should remind you that anyone speaking out against our natural sovereign will be convicted of Lese Majesty and sentanced to death. I am honour bound to report such treason but this once i will let it go, if only because our nation needs such strong men as you. This is the end of the meeting gentlemen, retire with your parties and sort through what i have said. Thank you gentlemen."

Lord Cunningham rose;

"My gentlemen, dear hearers, Mr Speaker. This has truly been a sad year in English history. Especially the news about the death of our great king, but also the very unclever peace resolution made with the Scottish. Giving away a province in a war we could have, and should have, won!

I also think that we need more money to the treasury, not less! We should not invest the money in the naval technology, put them to the land army or to the treasury instead. The inflation should not be worried about as long as it is under 10 %, as it will go down during our good years.

I think that our tax collectors reform is working well, and should continue in the rest of our country as well, as that would give us more money to put in technology investments.

The last thing I need to comment on is the absence of our prime minister. If this so called leading party is going to be the leading after next election, i certainly think they need to be represented by a leader. It is unresponsible, leaving his party in this way.

Thank you Mr Speaker."