• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Overall, great diary. I like the concept of trade system.

However, I'm anxious about linking trade goods in provinces to ability to produce certain troops there. Quite a naive concept with roots in rather childish games a'la Civ (no offence). What is the puropse of it? It's not like people back then did not come to the idea that you can transport iron from province A to a blacksmith in province B and then supply weapons to garrison in province C ;)

I like the trade system, if there are enough resources and some rare ones, it'll make some very looked over provinces, and war for them :)!! keep up the good work

kristoff said:
Overall, great diary. I like the concept of trade system.

However, I'm anxious about linking trade goods in provinces to ability to produce certain troops there. Quite a naive concept with roots in rather childish games a'la Civ (no offence). What is the puropse of it? It's not like people back then did not come to the idea that you can transport iron from province A to a blacksmith in province B and then supply weapons to garrison in province C ;)

It's not like the Germans were famous for thier war elephants. To get those bad boys you definately need Elephants from somewhere.

I love the idea for trade, it's really going to make trade nations a lot more fun to play.

Though I agree with an earlier post about how provinces really should have more than one trade good.

I mean, you could even stick to the whole one product that a province actively trades outside the province, but you could also have a second internal trade good that only that province can benefit from. Like a province may have an abundance of wine(with which to trade), but also have a small amount of iron in the province(not enough to export, but enough to build heavy infantry with).

That'd make building the trade map more complicated for someone, but it'd make more sense and probably balance out trade a bit.

It'd also mean that there wouldn't be such an opportunity to monopolize, say, iron, by focusing on capturing those provinces, and thus deny every other person in the area from building heavy infantry. Which isn't really a realistic strategy, as iron isn't actually that rare that you can really deny people from using it. You could deny them the best mining locations, and prevent them from gaining enough to spread it around their nation. But you'd really have to dominate vast stretches of land before you could reasonably deny them any iron at all.

That way even small nations with a handful of provinces could still potentially have one or two provinces that can produce heavy infantry even if they're unable to circulate it to the rest of their provinces, or trade it with allies.

Just a thought, mebbe for a future game.

Wiking said:
It should be Ivlivs also for Caesar methinks. :)

Although too many v-s instead of u-s could annoy some people.
Well, i think that it should be AVG/Ianvari. V and I on the map. But use regular U and J in the events, ledgers,...

I already love the trade system.

Maybe I overlooked something but will Rome also require a Casus Belli to avoid dissent (will there be dissent in the first place for DOWs?). I'm asking because the current trade system would allow for a wealth of additional diplomatic options: allow trade for a certain recompensation, threaten to withdraw the access to trade routes and finally, get a Casus Belli for having a country refuse access.

King said:
It's not like the Germans were famous for thier war elephants. To get those bad boys you definately need Elephants from somewhere.
hehe nice example ...I'd love to put my hands on those Elephants :D

Sokraates said:
I already love the trade system.

Maybe I overlooked something but will Rome also require a Casus Belli to avoid dissent (will there be dissent in the first place for DOWs?). I'm asking because the current trade system would allow for a wealth of additional diplomatic options: allow trade for a certain recompensation, threaten to withdraw the access to trade routes and finally, get a Casus Belli for having a country refuse access.
well would there be craving for certain resources from the population (like populi wants wine) and allows you a support if you declare war to get the resource

King said:

If it would work like if you have at least one province with resource X in your whole empire then you can produce Y type of unit in every or at least some provinces of your empire - agreed (import/export right?). But from what Johan wrote I got an impression that you will be able to produce heavy infantry only in a province with iron trade good ("iron allows the recruitment of heavy infantry in THAT province").

Besides, it's pretty irrational to adjust all general concepts to things like elephants. Make elephants exception with different rules instead to avoid Germans getting them.

Last edited:
kristoff said:
If it would work like if you have at least one province with resource X in your whole empire then you can produce Y type of unit in every or at least some provinces of your empire - agreed (import/export right?). But from what Johan wrote I got an impression that you will be able to produce heavy infantry only in a province with iron trade good ("iron allows the recruitment of heavy infantry in THAT province").

Besides, it's pretty irrational to adjust all general concepts to things like elephants. Make elephants exception with different rules instead to avoid Germans getting them.
all depends of the kind of good. Maybe iron is a bad example.
Do we talk about simple resource or also a knowhow (like a way to restrict the use of some resources. e.g. the copper swords of romans compared to the iron swords of gauls...gauls would have iron and not romans except if they import the goods/knowhow)

Mats_SX said:
If such a thing as this would be possible it's really weird. Elephants do not live under the climate in Germania.

If you read everything again you will see that´s what he says isn´t possible.

Trade routes sound nice...it would be better if they also took in distance from capial of each province as well for the amount/effeciency for getting good further than 1 province away.

One thing I wasn't clear on...if you are at war with a neigbor...do those 2 provinces still trade if they could during peacetime? The descriptor for that was a bit vague...

Fintilgin said:
Also, shouldn't there be TWO Consuls? :confused: You're missing out on a cool bit of flavor and historical accuracy if Rome only has one Consul a year. I mean, they had veto power over each other and you could have all sorts of cool events if they didn't like each other or had differing policies.

I guess that's the price of making other countries playable. You can't really have detailed Roman political system in the game where you also play Seleucids or Gallic tribes (if they're playbable)

SA_Avenger said:
well would there be craving for certain resources from the population (like populi wants wine) and allows you a support if you declare war to get the resource

Right ... and after you've won you need to declare a "drinks for free" day, lest your people should revolt. :D

Actually I was thinking about securing trade interests and trade routes. I don't know whether this was a popular CB in Roman times, but the British refined this to perfection during the Victorian era. So if it's good for one empire, it should suffice for another one, too.

King said:
Lmao, why not just call the game Johan's Civilization:Rome, RTS!! :rolleyes:

Definitely do not like the path paradox games have taken. First no history, now total sid meier's civilization fanatasy. To where we have fallen :( . Why not make the starting province for each country random? That would finish up your work :rofl:
Anyways, if that is the future that awaits EU serie,vicky and hoi I guess EUIII is and will be the last product I buy from paradox. :(
good riddance.

It should be GAIVSIVLIVSCAESAR

No newfangled lower cases and spaces please.

kristoff said:

But then you end up having exceptions to rules that make things more complicated. Also, if we take certain units to only need a national pool of resources, then units requiring iron would be trainable in any province even it its far from any sources itself.

In the end, it's all whether it gives good gameplay or not.

cheers