• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Fintilgin said:
Also, shouldn't there be TWO Consuls? :confused: You're missing out on a cool bit of flavor and historical accuracy if Rome only has one Consul a year. I mean, they had veto power over each other and you could have all sorts of cool events if they didn't like each other or had differing policies.

Hell, Wikipeida claims that:

This wouldn't bug me in a more 'cartoony' game like Rome: Total War, but I'll be pretty sad if we only get one Consul. It's like having a American Civil War game where the Union is led by Prime Minister Abraham Lincoln. Close, but... wrong. :(
Yes, I also reacted to that, not very accurate as it is now. Hmph, why didn't I subscribe to the beta now that I want to point out things like this? :p

Ah, well, perhaps it's just too difficult to create a working system with two consuls, which is quite understandable, but on the other hand, I thought the thing with the roman republic was to have two leaders, so that no one could gain too much power - which would be too "king-like" for republican romans I imagine. Now Rome in the game looks just like any other kingdom..!

Mannisks said:
Yes, I also reacted to that, not very accurate as it is now. Hmph, why didn't I subscribe to the beta now that I want to point out things like this? :p

Now I'm worried Consuls will be like EUIII Kings and have 20 odd year rules. When, of course, Consuls only ruled for one year and were almost never, ever, ever elected twice successivly (and not very often twice at all).

Fintilgin said:
Now I'm worried Consuls will be like EUIII Kings and have 20 odd year rules. When, of course, Consuls only ruled for one year and were almost never, ever, ever elected twice successivly (and not very often twice at all).
According to Johan...

Johan said:
Well...

You will only get to select options for events for your current ruler and his children.

Which in a republic where you elect new consuls every 2 years can be pretty interesting :)

Like that incompetent buffoon got rich of his governorship in Narbonensis, and now spent alot of cash to boost his popularity with bread and games. And you end up with him as consul..

Assos said:
Now, if I remember my Roman history right, was it not two consuls that were in power. One was a warring consul and the other ran the show at home in normal times?
IIRC, there were two consuls, who ruled equally everything. But in certain cases, like war, a dictator could be elected to lead the republic through the hard times without conflicts of different opinions. Once he was done with his assignment, he was relieved, and the two consuls could take power again.

But please correct me if I'm wrong.

Mats_SX said:
IIRC, there were two consuls, who ruled equally everything. But in certain cases, like war, a dictator could be elected to lead the republic through the hard times without conflicts of different opinions. Once he was done with his assignment, he was relieved, and the two consuls could take power again.

But please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are pretty much right. A dictator was elected for a fixed term of six months, though. There were of course certain exceptions to this... :)

There were abnormalities as well, such as Pompey's 'special command' against the pirates where his powers superseded even those of a dictator.

Several more eventseries for governors, rivals, intrige and nation creations were made.

Sounds juicy! Looks like a good game for politics.

One thing we must remember is that there is a difference between the historical "reality" and what Paradox chooses to use in the game.

I'm really liking the trade routes Johan. Thanks a bunch to you and your crew for the update and hard work.

Assos said:
Now, if I remember my Roman history right, was it not two consuls that were in power. One was a warring consul and the other ran the show at home in normal times?
Although both consuls had an army (2 legions strong?) under their control, only one would normally go on campaign. I also remember from somewhere one consul preformed the daily duties of the office and they would switch from time to time.

Mannisks said:
2 years. :eek:

Horrible, horrible, now I certainly won't buy the game. This will totally ruin it all. :p
What do you mean? According to the quote, there are at least two consuls. Isn't that enough? And every 2nd year you change them.

Johan said:
... where you elect new consuls every 2 years ...
He does not say "where you elect a new consul"

Julius is looking good :D

I wonder how all of the trade routes in wars will be handled, sounds like a whole new stagety to be taken into when at war with someone.

I have declared Wednesdays an official holiday for everyone who cares about EU:R so call in sick on wednesdays and celebrate the awesomeness of this game.

DISCLAIMER: Not reliable for any consequences in calling in sick on Wednesday. Not an official holiday either.