+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Development Diary #8 - 5th of December 2007

Studio Manager Paradox Dev Team Johan's Avatar
    Crusader Kings II

Blog Entries

Development Diary #8 - 5th of December 2007

It is yet another winter afternoon here in Stockholm, and the sun set a few minutes after lunch. We had our last pre-beta Vindaloo, as the beta-testers will be starting their work at the end of this week..

We added the possibility for Fog of War to the map and wrapped up the final culture army unit for the Seleukids. The programmers also spent a lot of time, further optimising the game, making both the map and the event engine to run quicker. The system to recruit mercenaries for your armies were developed, and we added the artwork for the ideas. Several more eventseries for governors, rivals, intrige and nation creations were made.

We finished our presentation of the team last week with the seventh team-member, and that’s everyone that is working on the development side. We also have other people involved with the game at Paradox, including people working with localisation, support, marketing, economy, distribution and sales. Without their hard work, our games would not reach you all.

Here we see a screenshot of the overview interface. I’m currently playing Rome with Gaius Julius Ceasar as my Consul. Rome is an oligarchic republic, so we get a bonus if we have 1 military, 1 civic and 1 economical idea. I picked Professional Soldiers, Citizenship and Organized Recruitment for mine here. On the screenshot you also see 5 indicators below the ideas, which are which modifiers currently affect the country. There are a few positive and one negative there. This screen also contains a list of your nations provinces and a big picture of your current ruler.

Today I will talk a little bit about how the trade-system works in Rome. Each province has one type of goods that they produce. Each type of goods gives a certain benefit. For example, iron allows the recruitment of heavy infantry in that province. Each province may then have a variable amount of trade routes connecting it to other provinces, where they mutually give the benefit of their goods to each other. The amount of trade routes a province can have depends on several factors, such as national ideas, buildings, and technological advances. Traderoutes can be of three different categories, first of all, every province can always trade with a neighbour province if both can have at least 1 more trade route. Secondly, a province with a harbour building can trade overseas with another province with a harbour. This trade is of course very vulnerable to pirates or blockades when in wars. The third way to get a traderoute going is by tracing one overland, but then you need to have trade access negotiated through any potential countries between, and each province needs a road-network built up. Trade routes also provide income in gold to the countries, with foreign trade much more profitable than internal trade.

Johan Andersson
    Studio Manager at Paradox Development Studio AB - Follow me at Twitter!

"A patch is never late! Nor is it ever early. It arrives precisely when I mean it to do!"

For our Patching and Expansion Policy, read here...

Read here why EU4 requires steam!

Crusader Kings IIDiplomacyDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2EU3 Collectors EditionEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Nice, we get Idea's in Rome just like in EU3 and i like the idea of Trade route's

Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome

The trade system seems extremely nice.
    I play eu MP. So should you...

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

Rest in Peace, Daniel Auby

Europa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteMarch of the EaglesEuropa Universalis: RomeRome Gold
    Rise of Prussia

Sounds excellent! Crack the whip on those betas and give them no rest.
    "The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

"To know nothing of the time before you were born is to remain forever a child", Cicero

Leading the Mombotian Horde Lurken's Avatar
    200k clubArsenal of DemocracyCrusader Kings IIEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria 2

At the Temple of Mombot, nailing up 103 boards
    Looks very good and polished, those Betas are going to have some treat to play.
    "Godfather of the Superpower games" according to people
    Bought a big case of beer to Pdox
    Proud owner of 3 mouldy Phoenix cookies ●●●
    Pathetic and Brave King of Poland in Battlefront IV - Lords of War
    Shifty Leader of <random/> nation in Diplomacy Universalis 1.5

Rythin, the mad warmongerer and Lurken, the semi-peaceful builder in
    "Lurken and Rythin in the land of sand - The wacky Mzab adventures." - it's aaalive....Well...not really. It is quite dead. Undead?
    Minister of Information and Groupies for OT-President rafiki

The plight and return of B'mo'otm - an AAR, like I've never done before - Redux

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: RomeRome: Vae VictisWar of the Roses
    CK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV

I like the idea of having to negotiate trade routes through foreign realms, all adds to MP diplomacy!!!!
    CK2: aGoT mod Artist

A Game of Thrones : CK2 Mod

Takeda retainer Demi Moderator Chaingun's Avatar
    EU3 CompleteHearts of Iron IIIMagickaSupreme Ruler 2020Mount & Blade: Warband
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k club

Blog Entries
    Really like look of interface, how effective it will be remains to be seen.
    W40k: Eternal Crusade!

Ah, yet one more excellent wednesday .
    The Blade itself incites to deeds of violence- Homer

HoI AnthologyDeus VultEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition

SWEET

Victoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2

Good trade system

Btw, can you see your characters age?

And what is the blue nation on the African coast?

Rōnin and Caput lupinum Anguille's Avatar
    Crusader Kings IIEast India Company CollectionEU3 CompleteLost Empire - ImmortalsRome Gold
    SengokuSword of the Stars

Nice features!

Carthage is already history?
    A Knights of Honor story:

The Merchant of Alexandria: a Fatimids AAR

Le Schtroumpf qui schtroumpfe le schtroumpf est un gros Schtroumpf….c’est le Schtroumpf qui l’a schtroumpfé. Et si le Schtroumpf ne le schtroumpfe pas, c'est son propre schtroumpf. C'est quand même incroyable que l'on ne peut pas schtroumpfer ce que l'on veut schtroumpfer dans le schtroumpf sans être schtoumpfé de Schtroumpf.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonDivine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2
    Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

The trade system sound very fun. I can' wait to try it out
    Gotikiller's Pop Splitter v 5.5 (Updated by Dietmar1982) - Download: Mediafire! and wiki
    Details about the splitter

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis: RomeSemper FiVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedRome: Vae Victis

The trade system looks very interesting. I'm curious whether one there is also some monetary gains through these trade routes or whether it is only the special benefit that is transferred.

E
    "Plural of anecdote is not proof."

Compulsive CommentatAAR stnylan's Avatar
    Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIDeus VultEuropa Universalis: ChroniclesFor The Glory
    Hearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessMount & Blade: WarbandEU Rome Collectors Edition
    EU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of NationsEUIV: Conquest of Paradise
    EUIV: Res Publica

Blog Entries
    The linking of the trade good to unit production sounds like a very nice touch.
    To view is human, to comment is divine.
    "Be not afraid" - John Paul II
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.
    Current AAR: Stories of King Sean CK2 4.1
    Completed AAR: In Memory of France EU2
    View my full AAR list at The Inkwell
    My library and My blog
    Ask not what AARland can do for you, but what you can do for AARland.

That linked trade system sounds promising. And I hope that means fog of war is removable, sounds like it.
    "The elemental truth must be stressed that the characteristic of any country before its industrial revolution and modernisation is poverty..." Mathias, First Industrial Nation, pg. 5
    "The Central Committee and the government are in possession of definite proof that this massive exodus of the peasants has been organized by the enemies of the Soviet regime, by counterrevolutionaries, and by Polish agents as a propaganda coup against the process for collectivization in particular and the Soviet Government in general" - USSR leadership about famine & migration caused by bolshevik policy of confiscating all food despite human losses. Stéphane Courtois et al, The Black Book of Communism, pg. 164.
    In Wiki we trust: VickyWiki|CKWiki (offline)|HoI2|EUIII|HoI3|Victoria II|CKII|EUIV
    Play Werewolf with fellow forumites.

Were rejection e-mails set out if we didn't get in the beta? I assume I didn't get in, but I never got a 'Tough Luck' e-mail.

Also, shouldn't there be TWO Consuls? You're missing out on a cool bit of flavor and historical accuracy if Rome only has one Consul a year. I mean, they had veto power over each other and you could have all sorts of cool events if they didn't like each other or had differing policies.

Hell, Wikipeida claims that:
    In Latin, consules means "those who walk together".
    This wouldn't bug me in a more 'cartoony' game like Rome: Total War, but I'll be pretty sad if we only get one Consul. It's like having a American Civil War game where the Union is led by Prime Minister Abraham Lincoln. Close, but... wrong.

F-CEO of EUIV:MEIOU and Taxes gigau's Avatar
    93 games registered

200k clubHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings II
    Darkest HourDeus VultDiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: Chronicles
    EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III Collection
    HOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMagickaMarch of the Eagles
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper Fi
    SengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae Victis
    Mount & Blade: WarbandHearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy KnightEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors Edition
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms eventEuropa Universalis IVEUIV: Wealth of Nations
    EUIV: Conquest of ParadiseEUIV: Res PublicaCrusader Kings II: Legacy of RomeCrusader Kings II: Sword of IslamCrusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
    Crusader Kings II: The RepublicCrusader Kings II: The Old GodsCrusader Kings II: Sons of AbrahamCrusader Kings II: Rajas of IndiaCrusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Roaming zombishly... looking for icooooonsssss !
    Blog Entries
    Sweeeet It's getting hard to wait for the relase
    Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual
    If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...

Europa Universalis IV
    MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<<

M&T Subforum | M&T en Français | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    Yes, I should have realised by now that when asking EOOQE, you don't ask if something is possible. You have to ask how - jrgen3
    Ainsi Je Frappe - the level 1 unit sprite revamp.
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop
    Awarded the SAS Award for Forum Dedication
    Vice-Zombiemaster of the Icon Zombie Club !

Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3EU3 Napoleon's Ambition

Nice update. Can't wait for the next devlopment diary!

Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron IIIHeir to the Throne
    Europa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: Rome

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Skobelev
    That linked trade system sounds promising. And I hope that means fog of war is removable, sounds like it.
    Its been removable in every other game (hmm, CK?), so why not this one?
    I play eu MP. So should you...

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.

Rest in Peace, Daniel Auby

Crusader Kings IIVictoria II: Heart of DarknessEU Rome Collectors EditionEU3 Collectors EditionEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order
    Warlock 2: The Exiled

Impressive. Keep up good work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast