• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Wonderful film!

Er... I meant...

Wonderful update!

That really was a great idea for an update. Though I dislike it that you replaced the pretty young female officer with Admiral Burke.

Eams said:
That really was a great idea for an update. Though I dislike it that you replaced the pretty young female officer with Admiral Burke.

I'm sure the film had the obligatory love interest... :D

Secret

Comrade Wintringham!

After discussing matters in the Politburo, we decided to turn to you and Comrades P. Piratin, K. Philby, and B. Alexander on an important and extremely urgent matter.

Not long ago, as you know, we received Comrades Bernal and Larkin in Moscow. The situation they face is, one might say, exceptionally onerous. An urgent necessity has arisen for all of us together to help the Irish make it through the current crisis.

seasaroundcorkcleared.jpg

After finishing off the “Invincible” Soviet Admiral's reputation, Burke's CTF droves the Soviet Navy out of the Celtic Sea.

americanslandinireland.jpg

The American and Canadian forces land in Ireland.

You are well aware of the military situation in the Eire SSR. The reactionaries are on the attack and have practically seized the republic by the throat. At the recent meeting we conveyed to the Irish our views about the need to halt the course of events and launch an attack against the counterrevolutionary forces, and we are informing you about this separately. In these circumstances, the situation in the Eire SSR acquires enormous significance and is now close to a catastrophe. A further deterioration of the situation in the Eire SSR threatens to inflict enormous damage on the entire Soviet Union. For that reason it is our common internationalist and— I would even say — our class duty to do everything we can to prevent this.

canadiansblitzacrossthewestcoast.jpg

Canadian forces played a major role in the liberation of Ireland.

battleforeireskies.jpg

The Americans and the Soviets fight a fierce battle for control of Ireland's skies.

Let me emphasize that we ourselves will assume the main burden in this matter. Despite our other problems, which I described to you, we believe it is necessary to give the English and Scottish SSRs significant military assistance by shipments of a number of additional divisions from the European SSRs. General Zhukov has been dispatched to oversee their deployment.

sovietshaveairsuperiority.jpg

In the end the Soviets win control of Ireland's skies. Soviet tac bombers destroyed Dublin's air base, ensuring that the Americans will not be able to reclaim control of Ireland's skies.

We will see to it that the reactionaries are removed from Ireland and that the English and Scottish SSRs will hold the line against imperialism. However, it will be impossible to provide this assistance without a certain degree of participation by the other fraternal republics. We have tried to find an approach that would have only a minimal effect on internal plans and would not be something beyond your means, but our country's security requires that you put every available resource at General Zhukov's disposal. Civilians must be impressed to assist in the defense efforts. You can not afford to tarry!

I insist, Tom , that you look upon this suggestion with understanding.

With Communist greetings
A. Mikoyan
15 February 1944

Last edited:
s2_roosevelt_2.jpg

Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force!

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many years. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms, you will bring about the destruction of the Soviet war machine, the elimination of Communist tyranny over the oppressed peoples of the world, and security for ourselves in a free world.

invasionofliverpool.jpg

The allies decide that the best way to end the Soviet Air offensive is to take their airbases.

shorebombardmentallowsliverpooltoho.jpg

Offshore support from the US Navy helps the Marines keep Liverpool.

pattonseizesEdinburgh.jpg

The allies quickly drive into Scotland.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped, well indoctrinated, and battle hardened. He will fight savagely.

battleofglasgow.jpg

Field Marshal Crerar oversees the liberation of Scotland while MacArthur and Eisenhower race to London.

battleofinverness.jpg

Canada's Field Marshal Crerar squares off against the Soviet people's hero, Field Marshal Zhukov. Crerar will win in the end though it will take him almost an entire week to secure the mountainous province.

zhukovescapebyplane13divisionscrush.jpg

Crerar encircles and destroys 13 Soviet divisions at Scapa Flow. The Soviet air force flys Zhukov out at the last possible moment.

Arkhangelsksinks.jpg

The US Navy sinks several soviet ships as the flee from Scapa Flow. The biggest catch was the Soviet Battleship Arkhangelsk.

But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Communist triumphs of 1925-30. The United States has inflicted upon the Russians great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our coming air offensive will seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. Our brave sailors have humbled the once unconquerable Russian Navy. The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to Victory!

ukliberated.jpg

MacArthur won the race to London and the allies were able to destroy another ten divisions in South of England. The United Kingdom was entirely in allied hands by the middle of May.

englandsairbasesarenwourown.jpg

The United States now has plenty of airbases for its massive air force and swiftly gains control of the skies over the United Kingdom.

I have full confidence in your courage and devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full Victory!

Good luck! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

SIGNED: Dwight D. Eisenhower

Good use of the Speech and please liberate Britian!

My AAR is now caught up with my game. I plan on putting this AAR on hold till the next version of Mod New Nations comes out. The next version of Mod New Nations will be compatible with Armageddon's 1.2 patch, so offshore bombardment penalties should be more reasonable from now on. I'm hoping that my destroyers will actually be able to find those pesky Russian submarines once I've patched up.

Thanks for reading my AAR! :)

trekaddict said:
I'm sure the film had the obligatory love interest... :D
What, Burke and Mitscher? Ewww.... :D
danielshannon: Then I hope that the next version of ModNN will be out real soon.

Eams said:
What, Burke and Mitscher? Ewww.... :D
danielshannon: Then I hope that the next version of ModNN will be out real soon.

Well.. Burke did seem rather fond of Mitscher...

Burke on Mitscher said:
"He spoke in a low voice and used few words. Yet, so great was his concern for his people—for their training and welfare in peacetime and their rescue in combat—that he was able to obtain their final ounce of effort and loyalty, without which he could not have become the preeminent carrier force commander in the world. A bulldog of a fighter, a strategist blessed with an uncanny ability to foresee his enemy's next move, and a lifelong searcher after truth and trout streams, he was above all else—perhaps above all other—a Naval Aviator."

Is this a mere tribute to a great admiral or is it secret romantic code? :p

Hopefully the next edition of Mod New Nations will be out shortly. I might write some non game play updates while we are waiting.

Edzako said:
Soviet Navy is joke compared to USN, but I am sure you will face greater challenge in occupied Europe.

I went back to a previous save to look at how the Russians were doing. The soviet Navy is/was bigger than the US Navy. The problem is that their navy is mostly submarines. They are building a lot of naval units including carriers. Maybe their Navy can cause me some greif in the future. I wish the AI was more aggressive about attacking my convoys. The Russians have built over 100 submarines. Why don't they use them?

The Russians will be a much bigger problem on land in occupied Europe and Asia. I'm kind of at a loss about where to go next. If I seize Spain I might be able to hold it by destroying the infrastructure of southern France and building a lot of land forts in northern Spain. Then I could strike at will in the Mediterranean. I could open up a Pacific front as well.

Making landfall on that solid red mass is certainly a daunting proposition. The Soviet advantage in numbers must be huge. :eek:

How do you look at that massive amount of Red?

I'd be scared to death if I was in charge of trying to invade them!

Hopefully the new patch comes out soon.

And doesn't Roosevelt die soon? :(

Last edited:
VILenin said:
Making landfall on that solid red mass is certainly a daunting proposition. The Soviet advantage in numbers must be huge. :eek:

Yeah, it'll be rough. I'm pretty sure that I could take and hold Spain but I don't think I really have the troops to do much more than that.

I'm torn between invading Europe or breaking off some forces and opening up a pacific theater.

wilegfass said:
How do you look at that massive amount of Red?

I'd be scared to death if I was in charge of trying to invade them!

Hopefully the new patch comes out soon.

And doesn't Roosevelt die soon? :(

Hopefully Roosevelt has at least another year left in him. That useful idiot VP of his would probably make a negotiated peace with the reds.

The new patch for Mod New Nations is now out and this aar is now officially back in business.

What do you think my policy towards the UK should be? Should I edit the revolt file to give it cores on Northern Ireland or should that go to Eire? Should I build up IC in the UK for a year or release it immediately?

What should I do next? I have roughly 50 divisions in the UK that could be used in combat operations. Should I try a landing in Spain? Should I go for Australia and Japan?

Take one front at a time. You've sealed up Europe for now, with that giant floating airbase. Build up industry and release - you need decent allies. Give the UK cores on Ireland, since if they're still bitter about the Commie takeover, they'd probably be happier with the Brits.
Of course, you could just release UK + N. Ireland and then Ireland alone. Building up IC, of course.
I suggest that you move into the Pacific, or at least take the Japanese Home Islands, to get another floating airbase.
Once that's done, wrap up Australia, etc.
With the only thing left being Eur-Afro-Asia, invade Spain, secure it, build it up, release it. Rinse and repeat with Scandinavia, stopping at the Norweigan/Swedish common border with Finland. If you feel lucky, go for all of Scandinavia. Of course, they'll probably flood you in a sea of humanity...

Same here, except taht I'd build up and start Overlord ASAP. That IC in Europe can't be left to work for the Soviets any longer.

trekaddict said:
Same here, except taht I'd build up and start Overlord ASAP. That IC in Europe can't be left to work for the Soviets any longer.

I agree, great western Europe industrial center will be very valuable asset, invade Spain(or Italy) to compensate your lack of numbers with fleet.

Ever since 1171, when King Henry II of England first landed in Ireland and asserted his sovereignty over it, the British and the Irish had been at daggers drawn. By the late nineteenth century many leaders in England were reluctantly coming to the conclusion that virtual independence for Ireland or some form of Home Rule was the only real answer to the problem. Unfortunately, by this time the British had compounded their difficulties through the settlement of Protestant colonies, especially in the north of the island, so that solving the Irish Question meant aggravating the Northern Irish Question. They had created the classic historical situation of the unsolvable dilemma.

airbasesbuiltinengland.jpg

Airfields are built in England to assist with the coming air campaign in Europe.

sovietplanesmissourfleet.jpg

Allied fighters prevent Soviet patrols from spotting the American invasion fleet.

invasionofspain.jpg

American Marines land in mainland Europe.

lenintriestointercept.jpg

The Soviet Battleship Lenin tries to interrupt the operation. The Lenin fails to sink any American ships and slinks away under the cover of darkness.

noroadsforfrance.jpg

The air force begins targeting bridges, roads, and rail networks in Southern France. The initial bombings, carried out at night, had little effect. Once the Americans gained air superiority over France LeMay was able to strike during the day with much greater effect.

Even the Soviet occupation of the island failed to resolve this issue. If the Soviets soldiers had been better received by the Irish, Stalin might have decided this issue with a few boxcars. The Irish Republican Army greeted the Soviet army with guerrilla warfare rather than roses, which left American diplomats with the unpleasant task of resolving this question. The return to prewar boundaries probably wouldn't be feasible, this was an election year after all. Ireland would have to have some form of self government if the Democrats were to win in November. For the time being the Americans only gave a vague promise for a future plebiscite. The future British government would protest but even school children knew that you couldn't put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

sovietairoffensiveagainstengland.jpg

The Soviets continue their air offensive against Southern England despite the landings in Spain.

spainishbeachheadbreakout.jpg

The American break out of the Spanish beachhead.

macarthurdrivesintospain.jpg

MacArthur drives into the Spanish interior.

Though the Canadian and American governments couldn't agree on the future of the British Isles, they did come to an agreement on military strategy. If the allies were to win this war they would have to kick the Soviet army out of Europe as soon as possible. The Americans were convinced that they could liberate Iberia by the end of summer and LeMay assured the conference that the American air force could keep Soviet reenforcements from reaching Spain. Tweedsmuir agreed with this assessment and promised to provide two Canadian armored corps to assist in operations in Iberia.

-A Short History of the Second World War James L. Stokesbury

Great AAR going there! As soon as you can expand your foothold, the communists will be running back to Russia.

Also that is one of the quickest expansion I have seen... ever!
Thank God the Cores.

One hundred and eight American ships against two Soviet ones.. boy, it must have been fun to be the crew of those two. :eek: :D

And you got your foothold in Iberia, that is always a plus.

cloneof said:
Great AAR going there! As soon as you can expand your foothold, the communists will be running back to Russia.

Also that is one of the quickest expansion I have seen... ever!
Thank God the Cores.

Thanks, i'm glad you like the aar.
Whose expansion are you talking about? If it's Russia's, I actually gave them cores on all that land and just used accept all on all the affected states before starting the game. Story wise they took over all of that sometime between 1920 and 1939. The USA was too busy being splendid isolationists or fighting its own civil war to help out their former allies.

rcduggan said:
One hundred and eight American ships against two Soviet ones.. boy, it must have been fun to be the crew of those two. :eek: :D

And you got your foothold in Iberia, that is always a plus.

There was probably one American dive bomber for every poor crew member on those two doomed ships.

Last edited: