• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

"The true Indian sets no price upon either his property or his labor. His generosity is limited only by his strength and ability. He regards it as an honor to be selected for difficult or dangerous service and would think it shameful to ask for any reward, saying rather: "Let the person I serve express his thanks according to his own bringing up and his sense of honor. Each soul must meet the morning sun, the new sweet earth, and the Great Silence alone!. What is Silence? It is the Great Mystery! The Holy Silence is His voice!

Whenever, in the course of the daily hunt, the hunter comes upon a scene that is strikingly beautiful or sublime -- a black thundercloud with the rainbow's arch above the mountain, a white waterfall in the heart of a green gorge, a vast prairie tinged with the blood-red of the sunset -- he pauses for an instant in an attitude of worship.

He sees no need for setting apart one day in seven as a holy day, because to him all days are God's days.

The first American mingled with his pride a singular humility. Spiritual arrogance was foreign to his nature and teaching. He never claimed that the power of articulate speech was proof of superiority over the dumb creation; on the other hand, it is to him a perilous gift.

Children must early learn the the beauty of generosity. They are taught to give what they prize most, that they may taste the happiness of giving"

-Ohiyesa

In due time the rabble were dispersed and their territory occupied. Borah now had the unenviable task of forging a lasting peace. The leadership of the Silver Legion had slunk off to sanctuary in Ford's realm. Borah couldn't pursue them and was left in the awkward position of having no one to surrender to him. Yet every week more soldiers were dying because of a handful of fascist partisans who seemed able to transverse the plains at will.

The solution to Borah's problem came to him courtesy of the renowned Sioux Chief Dr. Charles Eastman, or Ohiyesa as he was known by his people. The Silver Legion's treatment of the Red man was brutal. While Trumbo's security forces in the Intermountain Federation were hardly friendly with the Indians, they had a better reputation than the silver legion did. Over the the next few years a Sioux Militia took a larger and larger role in the occupation.

Ohiyesa proposed that Borah reward his allies with recognition and promise of full sovereignty to the reservations. Ohiyesa had additionally hoped that some territorial revisions were made so that the Sioux could have more land, but he never expected what Borah offered. Borah gave him the whole of the Great plains.

ocetisakowin.jpg

Oceti Sakowin's Government in 1938

The Sioux state had a major demographic problem on its hands. How could there be a Sioux country if most of the inhabitants were whites? True it was not as big of a majority as it had been before the depression. The region had already been depopulated because of the financial crisis and the chaos that brought abound the birth of so many new nations in the Americas. But it was still a white majority. For the Soviets it would be easy enough of a task to forcibly resettle the remaining population. But Borah wouldn't go along with their suggestions. “If our Federation is to retain its essentially republican character, we can not start acting like Genghis Khan,” Borah protested to Trumbo and Boyle. Trumbo insisted that the whole problem could be solved “with just a few boxcars.”

Stalinistamericastart.jpg

Soviet Clients in the Americas

Ohiyesa had offered a more moderate solution. He proposed that whites who did not wish to live under Indian rule be compensated to move to the Intermountain Federation or the Great Lakes republic. In the meantime he began work to encourage other tribes of Red men to migrate to and settle in the plains. The compensation and the establishment of self governing regions for whites cooled tensions somewhat, but in 1938 Ohiyesa and Borah still had a fascist insurgency on their hands. At any moment the Great Lakes Republic could invade the new country and the loyalty of the white population in that event was highly questionable. The following years would answer a question that plagued Ohiyesa, would his multicultural state be a success or would it fall like a house of cards the second that Soviet support was removed?

-A Short History of the Second World War James L. Stokesbury

Last edited:
Thanks for the support. I hope you all like this aar. By the way, any advice is most appreciated. I'm hardly an HOI2 bad ass.

I played a bit yesterday and beat the Mid Atlantic Republic too quickly. I'll probably wait till my 4% dissent is gone before attacking the commies. This way they'll get a chance to us that 100 ic or so they have. Of course thats 3 times my ic so I may not want to give them too much time...

Is the format okay? Feel free to send me any questions, comments, or cries of anguish that relate to this aar.

danielshannon said:
Thanks for the support. I hope you all like this aar. By the way, any advice is most appreciated. I'm hardly an HOI2 bad ass.

I played a bit yesterday and beat the Mid Atlantic Republic too quickly. I'll probably wait till my 4% dissent is gone before attacking the commies. This way they'll get a chance to us that 100 ic or so they have. Of course thats 3 times my ic so I may not want to give them too much time...

Is the format okay? Feel free to send me any questions, comments, or cries of anguish that relate to this aar.

It's ok, I like this AAR as it is, and it will be even more interesting when war will start, although it's look like that you will be able to beat them one after another as they don't have land connection, that should ease your efforts.

My only complaints arise from the mod itself, not this AAR. The main one is that the United States (and especially the Southern States) would never, under any circumstances, allow New Afrika to form. While Afro-Americans formed the majority in certain regions (mostly along the Mississippi river and delta), I seriously doubt they would be able to form a viable State outside those regions if their policy was one of ethnic rather than civic nationalism (i.e. excluding "whites" from participation in government and other social institutions). It simply wouldn't have been able to happen. The demographic shifts forced along the population would have been impossible...to ethnically cleanse the areas in question, more people would need to either be killed or deported than would have remained, and it would have been a logistical and moral nightmare even without the simultaneous invasion of the CSA/USA (or all the surrounding breakaway countries). And if you don't believe that the warring states would set aside their differences to intervene in an out-and-out genocide of white people, let me be the first to introduce you to the realities of racism in the late nineteenth/early twentieth century.

But it's still fun to speculate, so I'll not let my unease at that detail spoil my enjoyment of this AAR. Do all the American minors have cores on the entire former USA? Or just Washington?

Edzako, thats true but every other state in the Americas is part of the axis so to get to Oceti Sakowin and Intermountain I'll have to fight all of the Americas too.

Riptide, I agree with you. I was planning to write an installment about the treatment of whites in New Afrika during my overview of the reconstituted CSA. Basically Haywood would try to integrate them into this country and the head of the Southern Tenament Farmer's Union would become the white representative to the Politburro of New Afrika.

Remember each chapter comes from a different person's book so their depiction of things will be a little different. I didn't really want to imply that Haywood's people were trying to do to whites what the Haitians did. So maybe I can go into more detail.

Unfortunately for Harry, the crackdown on New Afrikan independence will occur after I post info on the the fascist pact of all the other states in the Americas.

The Mid Atlantic Republic and the Confederacy have cores on D.C. and Maryland but none of the other minors do.

As far as New Afrika as it appears in the mod, well its as likely as an independent Turkmenistan in 1936 or Puerto Rico, or Saxony. The glory of Mod NN is that you get a chance to play with all of these fun fleshed out “what if” states. US Blacks are certainly their own nation by any meaningful definition of that term, just like Basques or Kurds or any other stateless nation. During this time frame almost half of US Blacks lived in the south and there were almost 200 contiguous southern counties that had 40% and higher Black populations. So I think its reasonable to include New Afrika in the mod.

By the way, in the mod New Afrika has plenty of democratic leaders who would almost certainly go for an idea of civic nationalism vs ethnic nationalism. They also have ministers for Nation of Islam influenced rightist regimes whose policies towards the whites would porbably not be very generous. New Afrika won't even appear unless if someone invades the USA and liberates them or if the USA is suffering from immense dissent so if the idea is too bothersome the player can just liberate the CSA instead.

MOD NN doesn't just add all sorts of fun what if countries, it also fleshes out vanilla and arma 1.1 nations quite a bit. We've added ministers, pics, leaders, and tech teams to several of the Armageddon 1.1 countries. Also we've fleshed out plenty of countries like the CSA, which now has leftist, social liberal, market liberal, and fascist ministers to play with. Mod NN even adds hundreds of addition leaders to Germany, so there are all sorts of nice facets to the mod.

Sorry for that advertisement. I'll post an update tonight on the CSA and then based on audience opinions I'll start the war. The big question is who should the USA attack first: the far right who control most of the Americas or the Far left who'll be easier pickings at first but who are allied to a monster USSR?

Last edited:
Interesting start. Will follow this one too... :)

Wow, talk about an up-hill battle! :eek: This is a must watch, just to see if you can pull it off, though the updates have also been well written. In particular I've enjoyed your insertion of the "excerpts" from various people.

“The only statement I care to make about the Protocols [of the Learned Elders of Zion] is that they fit in with what is going on."
-Henry Ford

Some Southern commentators condemned the pact and its secret protocols as violations of secessionist principles in foreign affairs. Scholars in the United States have long argued that the pact justified the American Government's attack on the CSA, arguing its right under international law to protect itself. Some Southern scholars, most notably the historian Shelby Foote, argued that the United States Government forged the secret protocol and that no such document can be found in the Richmond archives.

Some basis for answering these questions can be provided by examining the relevant documents from 1937: the CSA-Great Lakes Nonaggression Pact and the secret territorial protocol of July 4. Foreign Minister Williams provided the official confederate explanation of these reasons for the pact. Half a century later debate over this pact continues. Was this an aberration of secessionist principles or did it represent a much needed buffer zone to protect the new countries from Stalinism and “plutocracy”?

csa.jpg

The Government of the CSA in 1938

The Treaty of July 4, 1937

ARTICLE 1: Both High Contracting Parties obligate themselves to desist from any act of violence, any aggressive action, and any attack on each other, either individually or jointly with other powers.

ARTICLE 2: Should one of the High Contracting Parties become the object of belligerent action by a third power, the other High Contracting Party shall in no manner lend its support to this third power....

ARTICLE 4: Neither of the two High Contracting Parties shall participate in any grouping of powers whatsoever that is directly or indirectly aimed at the other party.

Disputes between the two countries were to be settled through “friendly exchange of opinion” or through arbitration (Article 5). The treaty was to run for 20 years; if neither party denounced it a year before its scheduled expiration, the treaty would be extended automatically for five more years.

ARTICLE 7: The present treaty shall be ratified within the shortest possible time.... The agreement shall enter into force as soon as it is signed.

For the Government of the Great Lakes Republic
Charles Coughlin

With the Full power of the Confederate States of America
Ransome Judd Williams

Greatlakesrepublic.jpg

The Government of the Great lakes Republic in 1938

The Secret Additional Protocol of July 4, 1937

The undersigned plenipotentiaries of each of the two parties discussed in strictly confidential conversation the question of the boundary of their respective spheres of influence in North America. These conversations lead to the following conclusions:

1.In the event of a territorial and political rearrangement in the areas belonging to the Mid Atlantic Republic and the United States of America, the northern boundary of Maryland shall represent the boundary of the spheres of the Confederacy and the Great Lakes Republic. In this connection the interest of the Confederacy in West Virginia is recognized by each party.

2.In the event of a territorial and political arrangement of the areas belonging to the Sioux state the spheres of influence of the Confederacy and the Great lakes Republic shall be bound approximately by the line of the Missouri River. The question of whether the parties make desirable the maintenance of an independent Indian state and how such a state should be bounded can only be defiantly determined in the course of further political developments...

3.This protocol shall be treated by both parties as strictly secret.

C. Coughlin R. J. Williams

-A History of America, the Confederacy, and Beyond David MacKenzie

Last edited:
those pesky southerners, they need to be taught a lesson! ;)
as for the great lakes republic, it looks like ford has slightly more than his own fair share of power...he must be a very stressed man :eek:

Myth, any sort Southern Tomfoolery will not be tolerated by the Roosevelt administration.

As for Henry Ford's multiple positions, well if you want something done right you've got to do it yourself. ;)

squalleke123, glad you like it. :D

I fear no such misfortune; rather I am filled with optimism and with confidence.

We shall succeed, and our success will be interpreted in terms of greater security, happiness, and prosperity for the people of California.

We are entering upon a year of promise and of hope. Our courage is high; and if we soberly recognize the need for renewed effort and for continued service and sacrifice in the interests of our fellow citizens needing and meriting our consideration and care, we are prepared to carry our burdens uncomplainingly and with stout hearts.

With respect to all the methods to be employed or all the steps to be taken in attempting a solution of our many perplexing problems, we may not always see alike, but in the main we are in accord as to the ends to be attained; we have a common goal—service to the people.

With such an understanding, and in such a spirit, I earnestly pray we may proceed.

-Frank Merriam

Tripartite Pact
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Tripartite Treaty (1906) also refers to a 1906 treaty concerning the Nile River river (see Hydropolitics in the Nile Basin.)

The Tripartite Pact, also called the Three-Power Pact, Axis Pact, Three-way Pact or Tripartite Treaty was a Pact signed in Salt Lake City, Desert on September 27, 1937 by Miguel Costas of Brazil, Charles Coughlin of The Great Lakes Republic, and George Albert Smith of Desert entering as a Military Alliance and officially founding the Axis Powers of World War Two that opposed the United States.

Background and the agreement
The agreement formalized the Axis Powers' partnership, and can be read as a warning to the United States to remain neutral — or become involved in a war on multiple fronts.[Citation Needed]

The pact the three nations agreed that for the next ten years they would "stand by and co-operate with one another in... their prime purpose to establish and maintain a new order of things... to promote the mutual prosperity and welfare of the peoples concerned." They recognized each other's spheres of interest and undertook "to assist one another with all political, economic and military means when one of the three contracting powers is attacked" by a foreign country, excluding the Soviet Union.

desert.jpg

The Government of Desert in 1938

The pact supplemented the previous Desert-Great Lakes Republic Agreement and the Anti-Comintern Pact, both of 1936 and helped overcome the rift that had developed between Desert and the Great Lakes Republic following the Coughlin-Williams Pact signed by the Great Lakes Republic and the CSA in 1939.
The Tripartite Pact was subsequently joined by Mexico (November 20, 1937), the CSA (November 23, 1937), and California(November 24, 1937). By the end of 1938, most of the Americas joined on.

The Tripartite Pact between Brazil, the Great Lakes Republic, and Desert, 1937
The Governments of the Great lakes Republic, Desert, and Brazil consider it the prerequisite of a lasting peace that every nation in the world shall receive the space to which it is entitled. They have, therefore, decided to stand by and cooperate with one another in their efforts in the regions of North America and Greater South America respectively. In doing this it is their prime purpose to establish and maintain a new order of things, calculated to promote the mutual prosperity and welfare of the peoples concerned. It is, furthermore, the desire of the three Governments to extend cooperation to nations in other spheres of the world that are inclined to direct their efforts along lines similar to their own for the purpose of realizing their ultimate object, world peace. Accordingly, the Governments of the Great Lakes Republic, Desert and Brazil have agreed as follows:

ARTICLE 1. Brazil recognizes and respects the leadership of the Great Lakes Republic and Desert in the establishment of a new order in North America.

ARTICLE 2. The Great Lakes Republic and Desert recognize and respect the leadership of Brazil in the establishment of a new order in Greater South America.

ARTICLE 3. Brazil, the Great Lakes Republic, and Desert agree to cooperate in their efforts on aforesaid lines. They further undertake to assist one another with all political, economic and military means if one of the Contracting Powers is attacked by a foreign Power.

ARTICLE 4. With a view to implementing the present pact, joint technical commissions, to be appointed by the respective Governments of Brazil, the Great Lakes Republic and Desert, will meet without delay.

ARTICLE 5. Brazil, the Great Lakes Republic and Desert affirm that the above agreement affects in no way the political status existing at present between each of the three Contracting Powers and Soviet Russia.

ARTICLE 6. The present pact shall become valid immediately upon signature and shall remain in force ten years from the date on which it becomes effective. In due time, before the expiration of said term, the High Contracting Parties shall, at the request of any one of them, enter into negotiations for its renewal.

fascistamericastart.jpg

The North American Member states of the Tripartite Pact in 1938

MEXICO
The Sinarquismo movement's victory in Mexico during the Mexican Civil War was to a large part the result of military intervention from Desert and the Great Lakes Republic. Prime Minister Henry Ford saw the Mexican Government as a possible toe hold of Bolshevism in the Americas and was happy to provide supplies to the Sinarquists and especially the Gold Legion, which modeled itself after the Silver Legion, a Fascist paramilitary organization with ties to the Ford Regime.

The CSA
The CSA had already developed close ties with the Great Lakes Republic, after the signing of the Coughlin-Williams Pact. Thus the CSA was eager to join. Many Confederates hoped that the Pact would assist the Confederacy in its aims to annex New Afrika, Texas, and Florida. Another reason for signing the pact was Confederate desire for protection against the United States and the Soviet Union.

california.jpg

The Government of California in 1938

California
California joined the axis for protection from the axis as much as for protection from the Soviet Union. True, California's large Chinese population was viewed as potentially sympathetic to Bolshevism. But the greatest threat to California's sovereignty [Citation Needed] was the state of Desert, which had taken territory from California during a brief border war in 1936, and Sinarquists Mexico which might claim California as its stolen birthright. President Merriam signed the treaty on November 24, 1937.

-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tripartite_Pact Anonymous

Last edited:
Dear lord this mod is insane! And where can I get my hands on the files for the Great Lakes Republic?

This looks like a really cool AAR.

Subscribed :)

Seeing all those American states allied together is worrying, you can't expand without pulling one of the major alliances into war with you. Good luck, it looks like you'll need it.