+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Theatrum Orbis Terrarum version 2.0

Deus VultEuropa Universalis 3

Theatrum Orbis Terrarum version 2.0

This is an old thread. The new one is here:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...52#post7782052

This should be considered a beta version.

Features:

-Inspired by the look of early atlases
    -New textures and pixelshaders
    -Hills and forests are shown on the political maps
    -A more stylized, more informative terrain map
    -Stationary water, smaller flags and less glaring terra incognita
    -Optional new font (Aquiline Two by Manfred Klein)
    -Optional dynamic minimap, which changes to show what has been discovered

This mod makes much larger demands of your video card than version 1 and is not recommended for people who have performance problems with EU3's graphics. Version 1.2 is here.

Screenshots

Download: TOT20b.zip

Installation:

** For EU3 version 1.3 (without the NA expansion) **

Place the TOT20 folder and the TOT20.mod file in the mod subdirectory of your Europa Universalis III directory, then activate the mod from the game launcher.

If you would like to use the new font: The mod switcher doesn't like new fonts, so you have to copy tahoma_60.fnt and tahoma_60.dds from the /fonts directory of this package into the /gfx/fonts subdirectory of your main EU3 directory.

If you would like to use the dynamic minimap: Copy minimap_bg.dds and minimap.dds from the /minimap directory of this package into the /gfx/interface subdirectory of your main EU3 directory. Open the file borders_2_0.fx in the /minimap directory of this package in notepad and change the two lines at the top to match your screen resolution. Then use this file instead of the /gfx/fx/borders_2_0.fx file of the plain TOT20 mod. There is a known bug with the dynamic minimap: province names and zoomed-out army flags will show in front of the minimap, rather than being obscured by it.

If you would like to use this mod permanently or to combine it with other mods, it may be simplest to overwrite the game files entirely rather than to use the mod switcher. In this case, copy the .fx files from /TOT20/gfx/FX over the files in the /gfx/FX subdirectory of your EU3 directory, and copy the .dds files from /TOT20/map/terrain over the files in the /map/terrain subdirectory of your EU3 directory. This will not change your checksum and you will still be able to play multiplayer games.

Please make backups of any files or directories you are going to overwrite.

** For EU3 2.0 and 2.1 (with the NA expansion) **

There is an issue with the mod-switcher in this version. It will not use the files rivers.fx and borders_2_0.fx from the mod (and possibly some other files as well). I recommend that you install the mod directly, overwriting the game files. Follow the instructions above and please make backups.

** For the Magna Mundi mod (with any version of EU3) **

In the /MM directory are two files, colormap.dds and colormap_water.dds, to use if you are combining TOT with the Magna Mundi mod. If you are using this mod I suggest you install TOT over the game files directly, as above. Then make a /terrain subdirectory in the /map subdirectory of the /mod/magnamundi directory (if there is not one already) and put these two files in there.

Other notes:

If you are modding country colours and want to change a country's colour to a grey close to 50% grey, do not use exactly the same value for red, green and blue. E.g. use (128,128,127) rather than (128,128,128). Otherwise it will appear as a tan colour in the data map modes.

Revision history:

2.0a: New versions of terrain_2_0.fx and stripes.dds to fix a bug with the diagonal stripes in diplomatic map mode.
    2.0b: Added MM files and new version of water.fx with fainter dots
    Last edited by Pishtaco; 02-12-2007 at 15:19.
    The Dream of Macsen - a short history of Wales
    Theatrum Orbis Terrarum graphics mod for EU3

As I said, this should be considered a beta. In particular I'm a little concerned with some of the large texture files. I get odd effects when I compress them the way some files were compressed in version 1 and vanilla. Still, they're not that big in the grand scheme of things. I have noticed some oddities with other textures when I am playing. It could be to do with the mod, but more likely I have just hosed my installation by fiddling with other things too much.

I am having problems with my ISP and have no internet at home at the moment, so I'm not modding at peak efficiency.

200k clubDeus VultEuropa Universalis 3Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In Nomine
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
    Nice, I prefer the original TOT map though.

Art - Games - History Alexspeed's Avatar
    79 games registered

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    DiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossKing Arthur IIThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesHearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Great Work, looks really good, is this the continuation of the Oldmap that was worked on?

I will deffinatly give it a try when i have the time, thank you!

=)
    Platypus rutilus, in hoc signo vinces - In honorem Paradox!
    Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign for a diseased mind! – Terry Pratchett
    ----------- -----------
    Alexspeed´s MIP - Map Improvment Package and Untransparent Map Mod for Victoria 2.
    Alexspeed´s Canvas Worldmap, SexiiColours Intense and Clear Map Overlay for Victoria 2.

Mount & Blade Custom Flag Tutorial - Alexspeed´s Victoria 2 Wallpapers and Loadscreens & Wallpapers for EU3

Member of The Iconians Club 50 and the 200k Club - - Proud Owner of the SAS Award for Forum Dedication.
    My finished Victoria 2 AAR Contest - My AwAARds: Fan of the Week: 7-Nov-2010

Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHeir to the ThroneMajesty 2
    EU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: RevolutionsVictoria 2500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

trying now.
    There once was a man from Nantucket, His .....

Great work, this looks awesome!

I have been wanting a new font like this for OldMap, can I distribute your font if i give credit to you and the original maker?

Also, I like your TI/PTI textures. I may try to modify them for OldMap, do you mind if I do this?

did you have to extend the textures on the TI/PTI in TOT2.0 like you had to in Flatmap? if so, did you find a solution to the problem where the extended textures cover up too much of the beaches (I can live with some land province cover-up)?

Other than these things, I plan on keeping OldMap as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Darken
    Great work, this looks awesome!

I have been wanting a new font like this for OldMap, can I distribute your font if i give credit to you and the original maker?

Also, I like your TI/PTI textures. I may try to modify them for OldMap, do you mind if I do this?

did you have to extend the textures on the TI/PTI in TOT2.0 like you had to in Flatmap? if so, did you find a solution to the problem where the extended textures cover up too much of the beaches (I can live with some land province cover-up)?

Other than these things, I plan on keeping OldMap as it is.
    Go ahead. I don't think there's a problem with using the font in this form, since it's not for profit and I'm not redistributing the font files. See the author's site here: http://moorstation.org/typoasis/desi...in07/index.htm . I tried various things with the edges of TI, but ended up leaving it overlapping things. However I put a faint hatching effect where there is a coast at the edge of TI; I think this is the last line in water.fx.

Quote Originally Posted by Pishtaco
    Go ahead. I don't think there's a problem with using the font in this form, since it's not for profit and I'm not redistributing the font files. See the author's site here: http://moorstation.org/typoasis/desi...in07/index.htm . I tried various things with the edges of TI, but ended up leaving it overlapping things. However I put a faint hatching effect where there is a coast at the edge of TI; I think this is the last line in water.fx.
    cool, thanks I added TOT2.0 to the mod list, let me know if you want the description changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Darken
    cool, thanks I added TOT2.0 to the mod list, let me know if you want the description changed.
    Thanks. How about "Old atlas theme, with terrain shown on the political map"

Thanks. How about "Old atlas theme, with terrain shown on the political map"
    Ok, Mod list is updated with this for your TOT2.0.

Achtung PanzerA Game of DwarvesArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCities in Motion
    Crusader Kings IICommander: Conquest of the AmericasDarkest HourDeus VultDungeonland
    East India Company CollectionEuropa Universalis 3EU3 CompleteDivine WindFor the Motherland
    Hearts of Iron IIIHOI3: Their Finest HourHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineKing Arthur II
    Lead and GoldLeviathan: WarshipsThe Kings CrusadeMagickaMajesty 2
    Majesty II CollectionMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionNaval War: Arctic CirclePirates of Black Cove
    Rome GoldSemper FiSengokuSword of the StarsSword of the Stars II
    StarvoidThe Showdown EffectVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisWarlock: Master of the ArcaneWar of the RosesPride of Nations500k club

Subscribed. Now waiting for the new computer to arrive, due in two weeks.

Thumbs up

Looks great, I really like how it all has a consistent look to it.

Hearts of Iron 2: ArmageddonCrusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine WindHearts of Iron III Collection
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's Ambition
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House Divided

Quick question, Is it possible to only use the dynamic mini-map for the game? I'm guessing it is somewhere in those files, but I have no idea where or where it would go.

Crusader Kings IIEU3 CompleteDivine WindFor The GloryHearts of Iron III
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineMarch of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionVictoria: Revolutions
    Europa Universalis: RomeSengokuVictoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of Darkness
    Rome: Vae VictisEU3 Collectors Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-order

Sadly, my computer isn't much better than the minimum system requirements, so I won't be using this.

Some feedback:

The font looks fantastic, but is harder to read at a glance than the default font. Hard to say whether that's a deal-breaker without playing; I suspect I'd get used to it quickly.

Having physical features on the political map is be a huge draw for me, as I play almost exclusively in political and religious mode, and rarely remember to check the terrain map at all. Will you be able to show weather on it? The main issue for me not using the political map is not realizing that a province has been hit by a harsh winter. That said, it's going to take getting used to the way it looks - looking at your sample map of England, it's very hard to tell what the shades mean. Looking at the map of the East Coast of the USA it's much clearer at a glance, but the close-up of England just looked splotchy. In comparison, Sweden and Norway seemed much clearer, and I wonder how much of it is the color chosen for the nation. I'm almost certain it's impossible, but I'd far prefer to look at a relief map - bordered rings at different altitudes.

The water is a bit of a turn-off; I don't like the white lace covering them. It might look better if there wasn't such a stark difference with the coastlines, but as it is it looks very artificial.

The physical map of New England looks very nice, much better than Original TOT. On the other hand, I usually play with trees off, even with TOT.

Overall a very impressive job! I'm sorry I won't be able to play with it.
    A mod for Europa Universalis IV that enhances religion in the age of faith and reason
    Want to play as a Sikh? Want Jewish minorities? Want a turbulent Reformation? This mod is for you.
    Game concepts explained on the Wiki
    Current status: Version 1.00 compatible with Conquest of Paradise
    Download available (April 21, 2014) or subscribe on Steam to get updates automatically
    Project Cryptic: 10% complete

Art - Games - History Alexspeed's Avatar
    79 games registered

200k clubAchtung PanzerHoI AnthologyArsenal of DemocracyHearts of Iron 2: Armageddon
    Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIDarkest HourDeus Vult
    DiplomacyEuropa Universalis 3Europa Universalis: ChroniclesEU3 CompleteDivine Wind
    For The GloryFor the MotherlandHearts of Iron IIIHearts of Iron III CollectionHOI3: Their Finest Hour
    Heir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineIron CrossKing Arthur IIThe Kings Crusade
    MagickaMajesty 2March of the EaglesEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionPenumbra - Black Plague
    Victoria: RevolutionsEuropa Universalis: RomeRome GoldSemper FiSengoku
    Victoria 2Victoria II: A House DividedVictoria II: Heart of DarknessRome: Vae VictisMount & Blade: Warband
    Warlock: Master of the ArcaneMount & Blade: With Fire and SwordWar of the RosesHearts of Iron: The Card GameCK2: Holy Knight
    EU3 Collectors EditionKnights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Okay downloaded it and tryed it out.

Sadly i didnt could get used to the new map and how its looking.
    I think i just like the cleaner map from TOT 1.2 more, so i will stay with it i guess.

BUT what i love is the new FONT, it works so well also on the TOT 1.2 mod,
    i add a screenshot here:

Looks much better than the other font to me ^^
    So i will combine it for me =)

The ONLY think i have seen that isnt working as i expected it, is the Japan Islands...
    somehow the shadow around them has decided to get a new position.
    This happens but only when the tot is used with MM 1.71 and the other mods i have combined with it,
    with vanilla and overwritten originals it works fine!

here 2 pics showing it:

Altough that is a very minor error for me, wont stop me from using your mod or MM
    Platypus rutilus, in hoc signo vinces - In honorem Paradox!
    Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign for a diseased mind! – Terry Pratchett
    ----------- -----------
    Alexspeed´s MIP - Map Improvment Package and Untransparent Map Mod for Victoria 2.
    Alexspeed´s Canvas Worldmap, SexiiColours Intense and Clear Map Overlay for Victoria 2.

Mount & Blade Custom Flag Tutorial - Alexspeed´s Victoria 2 Wallpapers and Loadscreens & Wallpapers for EU3

Member of The Iconians Club 50 and the 200k Club - - Proud Owner of the SAS Award for Forum Dedication.
    My finished Victoria 2 AAR Contest - My AwAARds: Fan of the Week: 7-Nov-2010

Cities in MotionCities in Motion 2Crusader Kings IIEuropa Universalis 3Divine Wind
    Hearts of Iron IIIHeir to the ThroneEuropa Universalis III: In NomineEU3 Napoleon's AmbitionEuropa Universalis: Rome
    500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Blog Entries
    Excellent work, very good look of the map, I'll download it ASAP.
    Last edited by Capibara; 22-11-2007 at 05:08.
    The Memoirs of Santiago Nadal: A Mexico AAR
    The User Created Nations Mod: The only mod where you play with countries created by the EU3 community! Come and try it!

Europa Universalis III LibrAARian
    My Inkwell, in case you want to read one of my works or future projects.
    Every day with you girl is sweeter than the day before.

F-CEO of EUIV:MEIOU and Taxes gigau's Avatar
    80 games registered

200k clubCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Roaming zombishly... looking for icooooonsssss !
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexspeed

The ONLY think i have seen that isnt working as i expected it, is the Japan Islands...
    somehow the shadow around them has decided to get a new position.
    This happens but only when the tot is used with MM 1.71 and the other mods i have combined with it,
    with vanilla and overwritten originals it works fine!

here 2 pics showing it:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Altough that is a very minor error for me, wont stop me from using your mod or MM
    That's because the map in MM has been changed for Japan (you might have a slight glitch around Portugal too). For MM, you need to alter the colormap.dds and the colormap_water.dds files to correct the position of Japan.
    Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual
    If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...

Europa Universalis IV
    MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<<

M&T Subforum | M&T en Français | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    Auretus Ornithorhynchus anatinus, in hoc signo vinces. In honorem Paradox!
    Ainsi Je Frappe - the level 1 unit sprite revamp.
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop
    Awarded the SAS Award for Forum Dedication
    Vice-Zombiemaster of the Icon Zombie Club !

F-CEO of EUIV:MEIOU and Taxes gigau's Avatar
    80 games registered

200k clubCK2: Holy Knight500k clubEuropa Universalis IV: Pre-orderEUIV: Call to arms event

Roaming zombishly... looking for icooooonsssss !
    Blog Entries
    This should be considered a beta version.

Features:

-Inspired by the look of early atlases
    -New textures and pixelshaders
    -Hills and forests are shown on the political maps
    -A more stylized, more informative terrain map
    -Stationary water, smaller flags and less glaring terra incognita
    -Optional new font (Aquiline Two by Manfred Klein)
    -Optional dynamic minimap, which changes to show what has been discovered.
    Awesome, i'll test it when i get home tonight... and try to adapt it to my MEIOU map.
    Europa Universalis III : MEIOU --- MEIOU Subforum in english | MEIOU on Twitter | MEIOU on Facebook | MEIOU Online Manual
    If you have zero infamy, then you're wasting everybody's forgiveness. - Zzzzz...

Europa Universalis IV
    MEIOU and Taxes - It falls on to me to rule the entire world,... and don't forget to bring me my taxes ! - Download >>> HERE <<<

M&T Subforum | M&T en Français | M&T on Facebook | M&T Wiki | M&T Report Tickets
    Auretus Ornithorhynchus anatinus, in hoc signo vinces. In honorem Paradox!
    Ainsi Je Frappe - the level 1 unit sprite revamp.
    Discussion thread | Vanilla version on Workshop | DLC version on Workshop | M&T version on Workshop | M&T and DLC version on Workshop
    Awarded the SAS Award for Forum Dedication
    Vice-Zombiemaster of the Icon Zombie Club !

Quote Originally Posted by dharper
    The font looks fantastic, but is harder to read at a glance than the default font. Hard to say whether that's a deal-breaker without playing; I suspect I'd get used to it quickly.

Having physical features on the political map is be a huge draw for me, as I play almost exclusively in political and religious mode, and rarely remember to check the terrain map at all. Will you be able to show weather on it? The main issue for me not using the political map is not realizing that a province has been hit by a harsh winter. That said, it's going to take getting used to the way it looks - looking at your sample map of England, it's very hard to tell what the shades mean. Looking at the map of the East Coast of the USA it's much clearer at a glance, but the close-up of England just looked splotchy. In comparison, Sweden and Norway seemed much clearer, and I wonder how much of it is the color chosen for the nation. I'm almost certain it's impossible, but I'd far prefer to look at a relief map - bordered rings at different altitudes.

The water is a bit of a turn-off; I don't like the white lace covering them. It might look better if there wasn't such a stark difference with the coastlines, but as it is it looks very artificial.

The physical map of New England looks very nice, much better than Original TOT. On the other hand, I usually play with trees off, even with TOT.

Overall a very impressive job! I'm sorry I won't be able to play with it.
    Thanks very much for the feedback.

Relief is already shown by the 3dness of the map. There's no point showing it any more clearly, as it's only the terrain type that affects the gameplay. I played around with having a flat map with the terrain shown by pictures of hills, but getting that right would take more artistic and programming talent than I have.

It might just be possible to put winter effects on the political map, but I haven't tried it yet as what I have is already at the upper limit of the number of commands allowed. Then there's the problem of what winter should look like; a scattering of snowflakes? Fading to white would make the map difficult to read.

That's an interesting comment about the water. What it's meant to be is a messy dark outline at the coast, and then a pattern of dots to indicate the open sea. Like this:

But now that you've mentioned it I can twist my eyes and see it as a lace .

Quote Originally Posted by spl
    Quick question, Is it possible to only use the dynamic mini-map for the game? I'm guessing it is somewhere in those files, but I have no idea where or where it would go.
    There's a version here for TOT 1: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/...d.php?t=291343

I hadn't thought about it before, but it's possible that the minimap files for TOT 2 in this thread will also work with vanilla EU3. Although it will probably have odd looking rivers and things on it.

Just use the instructions above or in the readme file for the old one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast