• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Dietmar1982

Number 38732
56 Badges
Jan 25, 2005
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
Downloads can be found at the bottom of this post.

Features:
  • choose what kind of POPs to split
  • select which country to split
  • deselect provinces from a specified country
  • select one or more provinces POP splitting
  • Automatic POP splitting function, selecting the latest savegame for splitting.
  • Define the size of the POPs to be split, and the ratio they are split

How to use:
Manual included in download

Old Posts
Dietmar1982 said:
How to use:
This is an example on how the configuration file could look.

Code:
# Please list the country tags of the countries whose pops you want to be split below:
# REMOVE: Write the province ID you don't want split
# TYPE: aristocrats, officers, clergymen, capitalists, clerks, craftsmen, soldiers, farmers, labourers, slaves
# No start and end tags in the same line
# Tag: <COUNTRY REMOVE="" TYPE=""></COUNTRY>
# Tag: <PROVINCE TYPE=""></PROVINCE>
# Tag: GAMEDIR

GAMEDIR = D:\Spil\VIP-R
<COUNTRY TYPE="clerks craftsmen farmers labourers slaves">
AUS # Austria
</COUNTRY>

<COUNTRY REMOVE = "" TYPE="clerks craftsmen farmers labourers slaves">
ENG # United Kingdom
GER # Germany
</COUNTRY>

<COUNTRY REMOVE = "843" TYPE="clerks craftsmen farmers labourers slaves">
ITA # Italy
</COUNTRY>

<COUNTRY>
POR # Portugal
</COUNTRY>

<COUNTRY REMOVE = "451">
RUS # Russia
SWE # Sweden
</COUNTRY>

<PROVINCE TYPE="aristocrats officers clergymen capitalists clerks craftsmen soldiers farmers labourers slaves">
</PROVINCE>

It's important to note that the configuration file is loaded when you start the program. So if you change anything in the file while running the program, it wont affect the split. You need to restart the program

The directory specified after the GAMEDIR tag, is used when the automatic POP splitting function is used. Here you specify where you have your game installed

the first tags results in all clerks, craftsmen, farmers, labourers and slaves being split in all provinces owned by Austria.

the second tag will do the same for Germany and the UK

the third one will do the same for all the Italian provinces except the one with the ID 843

fourth tag splits all types in all Portugese owned provinces

fifth tag splits all types in all Russian and swedish provinces, except the russian province with ID 451

the last province tag selects a specific province for splitting. there can be as any province ID listed here as you like.

Errors
As I had to rewrite all the code, it's possible that I've reintroduced some of the errors removed previously found in this tool.
Hopefully this is not the case, and I've tried to test it as much as I could.

So I hope you find it usefull.

Please report back if you encounter any problems, or if you have some suggestions for improvements.
Dietmar1982 said:
After readning about the problems at this page, and not being able to get it to work myself.
I decided to download the source code, and try making a fix myself.

I have found the problem stopping me, and properly also those other guys at the link, from getting this to work.

The problem exists because programs written in C# and the .net framework, uses its environments formatting rules.

As Gotikiller is American (at least to my knowledge), the program was designed on a computer using the American formatting rules.
The problem is how you write numbers smaller than one.
In the US you do this with the dot like so (0.25) but in a lot of European countries its done with a comma.
When run on a Danish computer like mine, this causes the calculations in the program to go all wrong. And the output file to become corrupted. (And extremely large, if I split all POPs my save game size was 800 MB).
So I fixed this, so it now should work on all computers.
On top of this I thought I might as well, try to fix/change a couple of other things.

Below are the changes I made:

Version 4.3
  • Comma issue fixed
  • Fixed issue where text with nonstandard English signs in it, like Québec and Lübeck would become unreadable symbols.
  • Cash is now kept by the original POP being split, (like it is in game), before it was cleared.
  • All POP being split now have the same issues as the original POP.
  • CFG file format is now less strict. It’s now possible to write comments in the line.
  • Properly more things, but i've allready forgotten them :cool:

Finally, a big thanks to Gotikiller for creating this tool in the first place. This is still more or less the program he created. I just tweaked it a little bit.

Anyway hope you like it and please report any issues here or send me PM

Code:
[SIZE=4][B]Version [COLOR=Yellow]4.3[/COLOR][/B] of the program can be downloaded from [URL=http://www.mediafire.com/?1yzmzwn9pxn]here![/URL] and [URL=http://www.paradoxian.org/vickywiki/index.php/Utilities]here[/URL][/SIZE]
[COLOR=SlateGray][I]GotiKillers original tool, updated so it works in countries using the comma standard[/I][/COLOR]
[SIZE=4][B]Version [COLOR=Yellow]5.0[/COLOR][/B] can be found [URL=http://www.mediafire.com/?23umtkbbndb]here![/URL][/SIZE]
[COLOR=SlateGray][I]Completely rewritten tool, giving you a bunch of new possibilities. [/I] [/COLOR] 
[SIZE=4][B]Version [COLOR=Yellow]5.1[/COLOR][/B] can be found [URL=http://www.mediafire.com/?72tgzmyosmj]here![/URL][/SIZE]
[COLOR=SlateGray][I]Newest version, all the best from the 5.0 version plus a new auto splitting feature. "for your splitting needs" :D[/I] [/COLOR]
[SIZE=4][B]Version [COLOR=Yellow]5.2[/COLOR][/B] can be found [URL=http://www.mediafire.com/?7xbymznzwdz]here![/URL] and [URL=http://www.paradoxian.org/vickywiki/vickywiki_images/f/ff/POP_Splitter_v5.2.rar]here![/URL][/SIZE]
[COLOR=SlateGray][I]corrected a small problem with 5.1 [URL=http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7804311&postcount=37]details[/URL] [/I] [/COLOR]
[SIZE=4][B]Version [COLOR=Yellow]5.3[/COLOR][/B] can be found [URL=http://www.mediafire.com/?6dbtdzmymtd]here![/URL][/SIZE]
[COLOR=SlateGray][I]corrected the "French problem" [/I] [/COLOR]
[SIZE=4][B]Source Code[/B] for version [COLOR=Yellow]5.2[/COLOR] can be found [URL=http://www.paradoxian.org/vickywiki/vickywiki_images/c/cd/POPSplitter_5.2_Source_Code.rar]here![/URL][/SIZE]

Version 5.5 can be found here! and here!
Corrected major bug in version 5.4
Source Code for version 5.5 can be found here!

Last edited:
And folks I can highly recommend this. Dietmar1982 is one of the VIP Beta Testers, and his retweaking of this application to improve its functionality came as a result of our hope that it can be used by players of VIP, as the AI is very loathe to break up its larger POPs and this helps improve AI performance (especially in economic areas) quite noticeably.

Combine that with the flexibility that Gotikiller developed originally for the application so that you can choose which nations will be split, and the new and improved POP splitter is now a very handy tool in the Victoria player kit.

I want to again thank Gotikiller for the initial development of the tool, and Dietmar1982 for the work in resolving some of the final bugs in it, expecially for players from outside North America.

Good job!

I'm sure Gotikiller would be proud to see his program being updated. Maybe some day he'll be back to see it.

qwerkus said:
If it wont require too much work, could you rewrite part of the app WITHOUT .net framework ? That damn thing always crashes my wine server very badly ! But again: as I never digged the question, I have no idea of how much work this could demand...

I would take a lot of work, more than i'm currently willing to commit.
you could reuse a lot of the code in a c++ program instead, and most of it could properly work, BUT and thats a very big but, it would take hours of tweaking and searching to get everything worked out.

So sorry, somebody else would have to do it.

Dietmar1982 said:
I would take a lot of work, more than i'm currently willing to commit.
you could reuse a lot of the code in a c++ program instead, and most of it could properly work, BUT and thats a very big but, it would take hours of tweaking and searching to get everything worked out.

So sorry, somebody else would have to do it.

Of course: bug tracking is always a big challenge.

Thanks for your reply; i think i can live without it right now ...

Ldvs said:
Big thanks to you Dietmar! You're a hero :D
I'll second that emotion! :p

How big do pops need to be for it to split? I've tried starting a game and running it after a february save, so all the 40k pops should be split, except all I end up getting is these pops set back to 40,000 exactly.

sadi said:
How big do pops need to be for it to split? I've tried starting a game and running it after a february save, so all the 40k pops should be split, except all I end up getting is these pops set back to 40,000 exactly.

all POPs larger than 40K should be split. the ratio is the same as the one in the game. 0.75/0.25.

are you sure you set the correct coutries to be split in the config file?

I figured it out, there seems to be an issue based on how paradox saves pop numbers, any pop that has between 40,000 and 40,049 pops gets rounded down to 40,000 so they don't get split. Just means I have to wait until march to split

sadi said:
I figured it out, there seems to be an issue based on how paradox saves pop numbers, any pop that has between 40,000 and 40,049 pops gets rounded down to 40,000 so they don't get split. Just means I have to wait until march to split
I figured something like this is happening, but thanks for clearing it up.

Someone in another thread game me an idea.
Would it be usefull, if you were able to define not only what countries to split, but perhaps also states and provinces.

What do you guys think?

Dietmar1982 said:

Would it be usefull, if you were able to define not only what countries to split, but perhaps also states and provinces.

What do you guys think?

Maybe as an option, though myself I use this mainly to help the AI break up its POPs, I usually keep on top of my own, so I'd probably have no need to refine to state level, but I could see its uses.

Agreed. As an option. I don't think I would necessarily use this option.

I'm not sure if it splits all pops or just the "useful" ones. It would be nice to have the option just to do farmers or laborers, etc. Capitalists if I understand correctly should never get split, as bigger is better.

Dietmar1982 said:

What do you guys think?

It would be really, really useful. And hopefully also decide which pop types to split. Perhaps you don't always want to split clerks in a province, but would like to split all labourers there. Go for it, you have my diplomatic support ;)

Jaeger74 said:
It would be really, really useful. And hopefully also decide which pop types to split. Perhaps you don't always want to split clerks in a province, but would like to split all labourers there. Go for it, you have my diplomatic support ;)

He would have the support of everybody in the MP community if he was able to do as you describe! :nod:

I guess i better give it a shoot then :D

It should be possible.
On question comes to mind. How should you select what you want split.
if you can select both what country to split and what POPs to split. I guess it would be best if you could make your POP splitting selection on a country to country basis.

perhaps (this is a big perhaps), I could even make it so that you would select a country for splitting and the deselect some of the provinces in that country.

We in the MP community would be love to be able to do the following by clicking a few buttons:

(I am playing France)

I want to split all labourers & farmers in the state of Provence
I want to split all craftsmen in Alsace-Lorraine, Ile de France & Bretagne.
I want to split all clerks in Normandy.
I want to split all clerks in the city of Metz, in Alsace-Lorraine.

These are the types of choices MP players make. There are probably few other scenarios that I have not mentioned.
An easier way to do the above would be fantastic.