• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
A quick update - just ran a brief hands off as Hawaii, splitting in 1836 and 1844 - things ran much more normally. Britain and Prussia fine, France quieter as per usual but certainly not silent etc. Interestingly, the Spanish really got going for a change.

Dietmar1982 said:
Well, I guess the RR building will forever be a mystery to most of us :)

Please report back your future observations
I split, on average, roughly every 10 years, depending on circumstances of course. Some games RR building is great. Some games it seems to lag. I can't find a real rhyme or reason to it, although as OHgamer has pointed out in the past other nations seem dependent on the policies of the nation that your playing at times, and they sometimes do not want to build RR until your nation becomes laissez-faire.

I like mysteries! No game is the same. :D

Just my 2 cents.

Does this utiility split all of the POPs specified, or only the one with 40,000+?

Can you specify the split point? Say 20,000+?

Thanks

Sgian Dubh said:
Does this utiility split all of the POPs specified, or only the one with 40,000+?

Thanks

I believe it will only set to split at 40K and above. I don't believe the value currently can be set lower.

though perhaps that's a functionality he could add in.

I am a little unclear on what this mod actually does, and I'm hoping someone can clarify.

My understanding: This program can be set to automatically split any (or all) of the POPs in a given country (presumably your own) once they reach 40k.

Is that understanding correct?

If so, what's the benefit? My understanding is that there's a significant efficiency hit for every worker block that's less than 40k working a factory or RGO.

<affixes the "Hello! My name is __N00B__!" sticker on his shirt>

Not sure where you get the idea there is an efficiency hit. Smaller pops are less efficient than larger ones, but it's a tiered system, not mathematically proportional

to quote the holy grail that is Vickywiki

Headcount Efficiency
1 – 499 33% efficiency
500 – 19,999 50% efficiency
20,000 – 49,999 75% efficiency
50,000 – 100,000 100% efficiency

So if you have a 40K pop producing at 0.75 efficiency and split them into a 30K and 10K pop, you keep your 0.75 efficiency in the smaller POP, and get a new POP working at 0.50 efficiency, resulting in 1.25 efficiency overall.

Why is it this way - to make smaller industrial/potentially industrial nations (like Belgium, Sweden, Netherlands, the Latin American nations) have a shot under good human management to be able to make a run for the level of a Great Power. if it was a strictly linear system (and this i've tested) then these smaller nations would be about as playable as Bhutan. So in this case gameplay value for a wider variety of nations is why its done.

OHgamer said:
Not sure where you get the idea there is an efficiency hit.

I got it from that VickyWiki bit you quoted. I interpreted it to mean that the only way to get a factory working at 100% efficiency (aside from other modifiers like Railroads and Industry tech) was to make sure all the POPs working that factory were 50k or higher.

Apparently that's a misunderstanding on my part, however.

So, to further clarify, does this mean that there's a baseline factory efficiency, and POPs just add a bit extra? Like, a factory may have a baseline efficiency of 40%, and filling it with 5 POPs of 1k each would bring the actual efficiency up to 42.5%?

If not, how does efficiency work?

Sgian Dubh said:

Thanks
OHgamer said:
I believe it will only set to split at 40K and above. I don't believe the value currently can be set lower.

though perhaps that's a functionality he could add in.
Not a bad idea, I'll see if I can figure something out

Extreme Unction said:
I got it from that VickyWiki bit you quoted. I interpreted it to mean that the only way to get a factory working at 100% efficiency (aside from other modifiers like Railroads and Industry tech) was to make sure all the POPs working that factory were 50k or higher.

Apparently that's a misunderstanding on my part, however.

So, to further clarify, does this mean that there's a baseline factory efficiency, and POPs just add a bit extra? Like, a factory may have a baseline efficiency of 40%, and filling it with 5 POPs of 1k each would bring the actual efficiency up to 42.5%?

If not, how does efficiency work?

I'm not 100% sure, all I do know is that a 30K Pop and a 10K Pop will produce slightly more than a single 40K Pop, all other factors being equal in a factory (infra level, literacy, the factory's own base output efficiency).

OHgamer said:
I'm not 100% sure, all I do know is that a 30K Pop and a 10K Pop will produce slightly more than a single 40K Pop, all other factors being equal in a factory (infra level, literacy, the factory's own base output efficiency).

Slowly, slowly I gain understanding.

Thank you very much for all your responses so far. They have allowed me to hack my way through the underbrush of ignorance.

I don't get it, I used the pop splitter for a few games now, but for my last 2 games it doesn't work anymore. First with Ottoman Empire, I save the game, exit, open pop-splitter, select file and begin. It does say "Complete!" but when I load the game again, the pops aren't split while some are over 80k. :confused: Tried several times, ended up having to split every pop manually in my 150 million population Ottoman Empire for the whole game. Now I just started a game with China, immediatly tried splitting the pops.. but no result, pops don't split. :confused: Is there some kind of requirement thats needed for it to be able to split?

Thanks a lot in advance. :)

You need to make sure that you specify which countries you want to split, and what pop types to split.
The default config file, doesn't include China in the country list. And its only the clerks craftmen farmers and labourers and slaves that are split in the ottoman empire

Empty86 said:
Ah thanks, I guess China isn't included as default because it'd slow down the game too much?

no, it's generally not included because unciv nations can not expand their RGOs, so China would have quite possibly a majority of its population unemployed. And while peasant landlessness was an issue in the late 19th C, it was never at that kind of level.

so if you split CHI pops before CHI is civilized, you will really cause it major dysfunctionary problems - worse than even what it experienced historically.

but as Dietmar has noted, you can edit the config file to change which nations get split and which kinds of pops get split. Open it with notepad, make changes and save.

New version is up, download can be found at the bottom of the first post.

It's now possible to define the POP sized used, when the program determines when to split. It also possible to define what percentage of the original POP is split off from the original to form a new POP.

I've written a small manual, which is supposed to descripe how you should use this, it's included in the new download.

Hm, I do not know why, but it splits into 0's for me. I first noticed that the 47k farmer POP in Uralsk (my Russian game) vanished after I loaded the split game. Curious, I split again from the earlier save. And, well, if the before-split population of Prussia was of about 18 million, the post-split was reduced to 15 million. I just picked a random AI nation I knew would have unsplit pops and wrote down the numbers.

I've found a major bug in version 5.4.

Damn me for not testing it properly.
Because of a stupid little interger / double calculation error. Most POP sizes got reduced to zero when the POP was marked for splitting.

Thanks very much to Mishgan for pointing it out.

I've uploaded a new version (5.5), and I've tested it on Iceland and everything seems to work properly.